PDA

View Full Version : Ep. II DVD Audio glitch?

SalaciousEd
11-13-2002, 07:24 PM
I picked up a copy at TRU's 9.99 event. Just after Jango comes out of light speed outside the asteroid belt and before Obi comes onto the scene there was a brief skip in audio and maybe a millisecond video jump. Did anyone else notice this or is it just my copy? A manufacturing defect?

DarthBrandon
11-13-2002, 07:39 PM
Probably a manufacturing defect, mine had the same problem when Obi-Wan came into the scene, but the picture also froze up until I skipped to the next scene. I returned mine for a new one today, which is much better than the first one I bought; no problems with this one. I would return it just in case if I were you.

Beast
11-13-2002, 07:49 PM
Nope, that's the layer change. Dual Layer DVD's are made by sandwiching together two thin sheets of the metallic section that holds the data. It allows the discs to hold more data, but also requires the laser to refocus to continue playback. So occassionally you get a small pause while the laser moves to the next layer of the disc. Some players bearly show a blip at these points, some actually can lock up. It all depends on how sensative to layer changes your player is. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
11-14-2002, 09:00 AM
My region-free/code-free player does that from time to time. I'll have to watch for that. My Sony doesn't do that, though.

Pendo
11-14-2002, 12:13 PM
My player is strange. It hardly does anything on the layer change on new DVDs, but once I have the DVD for a while it starts to do the slight pausing thing. Its not doing anything on my AOTC DVD yet, it will soon though :rolleyes::)!

PENDO!

Mister Dominator
11-14-2002, 12:31 PM
Check out Obi's fighter at the following frames:

1:11 the Republic symbol is clear and the fighter is relatively undamaged and clean

1:22 the same shot, but the symbol is obscured, blast marked and charred

oopsy, um maybe the geonosians were throwing flaming rocks at the fighter while Obi was playing in the factories...yeah, that's it...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-17-2002, 01:16 PM
Mine skipped a beat then also, but it's good to know why! :)