PDA

View Full Version : Models from scratch.

Jedi Master Silas
11-13-2002, 09:02 PM
I'm posting some of the ships etc. my husband and I have built. They all are totally from scratch..no pre-fab parts, no model kits.
All the pics I'm posting are older peices we have built. I am in the process of taking new pictures of all the things will have bulit over the past two years which to name a few are: a 3 foot tall destroyer droid, a lifesize battle droid, a five foot long speeder bike with biker scout (work in progress), 3 3/4 figure scale b-wing, shuttle, x-wing, 12 inch figure scale of a snowspeeder and ATST. Also we have a twenty inch probe droid too. We have older models bulit several years ago of a y-wing and a ATAT. I'm posting older pictures...keep in mind our newer peices are mcuh better then the older ones and have better paint jobs :)

Jedi Master Silas
11-13-2002, 09:04 PM
This is an ongoing project...this is my husbands favorite...LOL it's his baby :)

Jedi Master Silas
11-13-2002, 09:06 PM
This is a few years old....

Jedi Master Silas
11-13-2002, 09:09 PM
This is the ONLY peice we have ever built with a non home made peice....the window on the front left cockpit.

Jedi Master Silas
11-13-2002, 09:12 PM
This Y-wing I finished a couple years ago...I am building a better sleeker version now..

Darth Sidious
11-13-2002, 09:31 PM
Wow! Those are amazing! That Y-wing has more detail than Hasbro could ever do. Keep up the great work! :)

Jedi Master Silas
11-13-2002, 10:47 PM
Thanks very much DS wait until we post our new stuff from 2001 to current! :) :)

Deoxyribonucleic
11-13-2002, 11:27 PM
AWESOME WORK and as said in a previous post, better than anything Hasbro has done!

Do you make them so you can put figures in them because they look like the right ratio if they were "for reals" :)

Jedi Master Silas
11-13-2002, 11:32 PM
Yep we sure do....they are 3 3/4 figure scaled. My husband is working on scale models for the 12"line and they blow everything we've done for the small figs out of the water. We did these way before the Target skiff , Y-wing and the WM Tie Bomber. Thank you very much :)

Deoxyribonucleic
11-13-2002, 11:42 PM
more pictures, more pictures, more pictures :)

*slobber, slobber, drool, drool

:D

stillakid
11-14-2002, 01:14 AM
Very nice work. I wonder, though, if you're not "bashing" kits, what do you use for materials? Thanks!

Jedi Master Silas
11-14-2002, 02:18 AM
We use the material contractors use to surround showers..its a flexy mix sheet that you can bend and cut with an exacto yet extremly sturdy. We buy it in 8 ft by 4ft sheets ...its similar to the material you see in small sheets at hobby stores near the plastic tubing. If your interested in buying some pm me and I'll point you in the right direction. As for the interiors and the glue substance we use its a secret.

Also we buy tons of pipes and tubing.

187-Maul
11-14-2002, 09:06 AM
AWESOME work JMS !!!

I can't wait for the new pics!
VERY nice work:)

Chiesa
11-14-2002, 11:01 AM
Its really awesome work. Any pics on the sheets you are talking about?

damn... I wonder whats the interior of the Falcon. I think all of 'em look great!! Keep up the good work!

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

stillakid
11-14-2002, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the info. I don't really have the room to devote to the necessary workshop though. (note to self, get some more room)

Really, your work is at least on par with that of the official movie models. Despite the emergence of CG, there is still a significant amount of model work being done around town. Ever think of switching careers?

Jedi Master Silas
11-14-2002, 06:32 PM
Thanks so much. Stillakid we own our 3 br ranch style home and we are out of space for our goodys so we understand the lack of space.... but we keep building more ships anyway. The bad thing is that as my husband has gotten better he's building lifesize figures etc. The only thing that stops him from building 12 scale shuttle and ATAT is storage space for them. He has ships sitting on my step sons bed as I type. He would love to make this a career but where in the world would he start??

stillakid
11-14-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Silas
Thanks so much. Stillakid we own our 3 br ranch style home and we are out of space for our goodys so we understand the lack of space.... but we keep building more ships anyway. The bad thing is that as my husband has gotten better he's building lifesize figures etc. The only thing that stops him from building 12 scale shuttle and ATAT is storage space for them. He has ships sitting on my step sons bed as I type. He would love to make this a career but where in the world would he start??

Start by taking really good photographs of each of the models. Then start calling the fx houses...ILM, Digital Domain, etc. ( go to http://www.411publishing.com) Ask for somebody in Human Resources and explain what it is you do.

Simply ask if they'd mind taking a look at your portfolio for consideration. Type up a nice letter and put everything together as professionally as you can, send it and wait. If you haven't heard from anyone in about a week (after it should have arrived), call them back under the guise that you just want to make sure they received it. Be sure to try to talk to the same people that you did the first time.

It's a tough market, so don't be surprised to not hear back from anyone. All it takes is one.

But also know that working at an FX house isn't necessarily a full time job. They hire on an as-needed basis, so while you might get lucky to work on a feature or two right off, the time off in-between can be long. It's a life-style change more than anything. You've clearly got the skills to do the work. The hard part is convincing someone that they need you more than the guy they hired the last time.

Jedi Master Silas
11-14-2002, 10:59 PM
Thank you very much Stillakid...we really appreciate the information.