PDA

View Full Version : Clone Wars: The Animated Series (merged)

Pages : [1] 2

Beast
11-13-2002, 09:30 PM
This was just posted over at AICN. I hope it ends up being true, as it would be a great way to tell the story of the Clone Wars going on between E2 and E3. Bring on the Clone Wars!! Plus there was some rumblings of a huge Shadows of the Empire event crossing all products, books, toys, comics, not to long ago. Could one of those products be an Animated Series? Let's pray. :)

CLONE WARS Animated Series on CARTOON NETWORK!!!

Hey folks, Harry here... As always my spies in Lucasfilm, well... pretty much they kickass. I love em, because as always they provide me with the ability to see and hear things far before the average person. So much so at times that the news seems made up, but in reality... It's just out there waiting for the rotation of the earth to pass round the sun enough times to catch up to the news.

This came from a source that I ABSOLUTELY TRUST, he/she/it has been providing news to AICN for years out of Lucasfilm - and he/she/it doesn't drop the ball. I'm told that very very few people know the following bit of info, so getting confirmation on it will most likely be a *****, but since this sort doesn't tickle the jewels without following through, I'm going with it.

There have been top secret meetings between Lucasfilm and Cartoon Network, and they are in ADVANCE DISCUSSIONS to do an immense animated series called CLONE WARS. The time frame is still being discussed as either starting the year before Episode 3 hits theaters, or the Summer of Episode 3. Lucas is negotiating for a huge 50-60 episode order!!!

I just hope that they get smart and get some of the talent that worked on DROIDS a billion years ago that has evolved into somebody super great at the Animated Series... How cool would it be if they brought on Paul Dini to be a Writer/Producer for this? Can you ******* imagine? Ok, that's me being a fanboy, but dammit, nobody writes better toons on TV! NOBODY! This news will most likely be denied till Lucasfilm and Cartoon Network are ready to Announce, but you heard it here first!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
11-13-2002, 10:07 PM
Oh boy. Please please please let this be true. Im getting the VCR out of the closet and blowing the dust off it as we speak!

Sith Lord 0498
11-13-2002, 10:12 PM
Doesn't it seem to make more sense to get the show running ASAP and have it continue all the way to May 2005. That way the show can end just as Episode III begins. It'd be a good idea for two reasons. First, tell the Clone Wars in "real-time." Second, it'd probably stir up the merchandising more. ;)

Beast
11-13-2002, 10:16 PM
Well, there were two figures on early Hasbro lists, that seemed to tie into this big cross promotion deal that is supposed to happen. If you will recall early Hasbro lists, Yoda: Clone Wars and Kit Fisto: Clone Wars are on the way sometime in 2003. So that seems to lend some credibility to the story. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
11-14-2002, 09:06 AM
(Homer) Ohhhhh... Animaaaaaaaaation... Prriiiiiittttttyyyy... Aaaahhhhhhh.... :stupid:

I would love to see this happen! I would hope that this would come out sooner than later. I would hope that the animation wold rate above the droids/ewoks cartoons. I loved the stories, but the animation was too basic. A little more accuracy in the character would be nice. Still I would embrace this if it came to pass!!! :happy:

mrmiller
11-14-2002, 09:41 AM
Wow- that is way too cool. I hope this comes true. If they do decide to follow any of the main characters form the movies, I hope they get the real actors to do the voices. Or just follow seperate groups of Jedi, and not our hero's form the movie. Maybe just mention them from time to time. For now, I'm crossing my fingers.

=MATT=

The Overlord Returns
11-14-2002, 10:07 AM
While I pretty much creamed myself when I read JJB's initial post.......lets just all calm down here, folks.

While this would be INCREDIBLE.............. it just sounds TOO good to be true.

...still, I bloody well hope it is ;)

SQueek
11-14-2002, 12:13 PM
animated = cgi???

Pendo
11-14-2002, 12:15 PM
WOW, WOW, WOW!!! I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope this is true! I'm SO, SO, SO excited that I keep repeating myself!!! Hopefully, if it is true, it will also bring the release of the Droids and Ewoks cartoons on DVD, or atleast a re-run on TV!

PENDO!

The Overlord Returns
11-14-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by SQueek
animated = cgi???

I'd rather they troll Japan for the best anime talent and use the animation style. I think it would work perfectly for an sw cartoon.

wedgeA
11-14-2002, 01:56 PM
If this is true, then the show may launch in the Fall 2003 season, as a 50-60 episode run would last two seasons, right up to the opening of Episode III.

I like the idea of focusing on Jedi that are not featured in the films as much, like Plo Koon or Ki Adi Mundi. I hope the show goes for the lengthy story arcs like they had in Droids instead of only self contained episodes. It would be great if Frank Oz as Yoda makes an occasional appearance.

scruffziller
11-14-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
Oh boy. Please please please let this be true. Im getting the VCR out of the closet and blowing the dust off it as we speak!

Hopefully by then we will have recording DVD players!!!!:D

I know I am waiting.

Beast
11-14-2002, 02:56 PM
We already have recording DVD players. Just go to Best Buy and pick one up for $899.00. I think Sears carries them now also. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
11-14-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
We already have recording DVD players. Just go to Best Buy and pick one up for $899.00. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Well................ I meant at a more reasonable price. Well actually I wasn't really sure if they were out there just yet except maybe on computers.:o Actually I am waiting for the 500+ DVD player that records and that can play all forms of media that can be burned on to a disk.

El Chuxter
11-14-2002, 03:08 PM
You're sure the 2003 Kit Fisto figure isn't just one with a grinning gimmick? :D

If this turns out to be true. . . man, I don't know how to finish the sentence. It's just too cool for words.

:Pirate:

mrmiller
11-14-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller

Hopefully by then we will have recording DVD players!!!!:D

I know I am waiting.

No way dude- Hopefully we will be seeing the proposed animated series earlier than that! How about next month? ;)

Damn JarJar, why you wanna go and get me all worked up like this? Always stiring up trouble :D

=MATT=

Tycho
11-14-2002, 05:49 PM
Kit Fisto, and Luminara, need resculpts as it is. You can't have them doing "Jackie Chan" in a diorama of Palpatine's Office!

What they need is straight, relaxed pose figures.

James Boba Fettfield
11-14-2002, 10:04 PM
theforce.net says it is all true.

Update on Clone War Animated Series
Thu, Nov 14, 02 07:58:21 PM EST

You may have seen the report on AICN about an animated series based on the Clone Wars being in the works between Lucasfilm and the Cartoon Network. Our independent sources checked into this rumor and confirmed that it is, in fact, true. Our source was able to add a little bit more info to AICN's report. It turns out that Lucasfilm created a pilot episode of the series and took it to the Cartoon Network recently for a pitch meeting. Our source was not yet able to find out who created the pilot episode, find out who wrote it, or find out what the Cartoon Network's response to the meeting was.
Now we venture into our own personal speculation. If Lucasfilm created the pilot episode in-house, that would indicate it was most likely computer animated. So could we expect this Clone War series to be entirely CG? Possibly. More to come....

Nexu
11-14-2002, 10:10 PM
Gimme a break. I hope it's just a rumor. If it isn't, then I'll just ignore it, but come on. Star Wars is a series of 6 movies, not a series of six movies, and a cartoon thrown in there somewhere.

James Boba Fettfield
11-14-2002, 10:16 PM
I guess you will have to start ignoring the cartoon, Nexu. To me, Star Wars is more than just six movies. It's six movies, novels, short stories, etc. That's what I love about it, there are so many things to tell and so many different ways to tell it.

Nexu
11-14-2002, 10:26 PM
Does anyone else feel the way I do, or am I alone?

wedgeA
11-14-2002, 10:56 PM
I disagree.

Even if it is EU, why not enjoy if it is a good show? I think that your position is a little hardline, but if that's how you feel.

James Boba Fettfield
11-14-2002, 11:01 PM
I like how the article I found speculates on it possibly being cg since Lucasfilm did it in house. That would be cool, in my opinion. I really enjoyed the cg Starship Troopers show that was done a few years ago, and I hope Clone Wars can be like that show.

Adam
11-14-2002, 11:51 PM
AICN updated with confirmation as well. I can't wait for this. I wonder if it will end up on Toonami, Adult Swim, or off on its own like Justice League.

Beast
11-15-2002, 03:11 AM
Nothing wrong with throwing in a non-EU animated series between E2 and E3 to tell the three years of battles of the Clone Wars. It would have been impossible to show the entire war in the films, it's just to massive. Atleast we saw the first battle in E2 and the last battle in E3. Atleast with Lucas and Lucasfilm involved, we can be sure that it matches continuity and is canon. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
11-15-2002, 09:28 AM
Exactly! I am really stoked about this having been confirmed! What a great holiday gift- of sorts. For as much as I enjoyed the Droids and Ewok series, I thought the animation was subpar. There have been a load of advances since then and now that Japanese Animation has become a measuring stick for much fantasy animation, we SHOULD see something pretty amazing.

If this ends up being CG... even better!

I consider STAR WARS 6 movies and a bunch of side stories thrown in for good measure. I love the stuff that happens outside the films... especially in the Prequel-era!

I can't wait!

The Overlord Returns
11-15-2002, 10:41 AM
Anime style.............ANIME STYLE!!!!!!!!

I really have a dislike for cg cartoons. They always look ridiculous.

Besides, can't u just see an anime jedi kicking some seperatist tail? Or an army of anime styled clonetroopers in battle?

sigh.....

bobafett07728
11-15-2002, 11:32 AM
This is possibly the coolest thing I've heard in a long time!!!! I hope this is animated, not CG, though. Sorry, but cartoons are cartoons, they aren't supposed to look TOO real. But anyway. . .this could be HUGE!!! Imagine tuning in weekly to see the new exploits of your favorite Jedi's!!!! It will be bigger than Soprano's!!!!! And then they can make great action figures that go along with the show. And they can be real cartoony like the vintage Droids and Ewoks figures!!!!! What a great throwback to the early age of Star Wars!!!! I agree with Pendo also, this could be a great opportunity to re-release the original, and complete, Droids/Ewoks series on DVD. This idea/rumor/plan could only do GOOD things for the Star Wars Universe. It will give us something we are all interested in. . . a Cartoon Show. It will bring an even younger audience to SW. It will give us collectors more cool toys. It gives Lucas, and any other controlling party's the opportunity to make some serious cash between the two films, when sales normally tale off. I can't see anyway this could be a bad idea. . . well maybe my wallet will suffer. . .but I am SOOOOOOOOOO over it!!!!! Bring it on!!!!! I cannot wait!!!!!! May The Force Be With Us !!!!!!!

bobafett07728
11-15-2002, 11:37 AM
Being a former art student, one of my longtime "dreams" was to animate Star Wars. I always wanted to take the time (I think we all know how long it takes) to re-create Star Wars in animated form. I always thought that this would be a cool little thing to have for myself, no matter how good it came out. I could even add scenes from the novels that were'nt included in the theatrical release. Needless to say, I never was motivated enough to really put the project into serious play. I would make skethces, etc. . .but never took it any forward than that. Clone Wars: The Animated Series could be the inspiration I need!!!!!!

Like I stated before. . .NOTHING BAD CAN COME FROM THIS!!!!

Give us Clone Wars : The Animated Series!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pendo
11-15-2002, 11:38 AM
I agree with bobafett07728. I hope this is animated and not CGI! You all know how anti-CG I am :p!

PENDO!

Rogue II
11-15-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
I agree with bobafett07728. I hope this is animated and not CGI! You all know how anti-CG I am :p!

PENDO!

Then how could you have possibly enjoyed ATOC? ;):crazed: Was there anything real in that movie besides the actors?

The only CGI cartoons I've seen have been Heavy Gear and Transformers Beast Wars. They seemed fine to me (at least visually). I'm not to big on the Japanese style animation, something about it annoys me, but I'm not sure what.

Pendo
11-15-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
Then how could you have possibly enjoyed ATOC? ;):crazed: Was there anything real in that movie besides the actors?

LOL, you've got me there :crazed:! It's still possible to enjoy the movie even though it is mainly all CG, but I would enjoy it more if he went back the the old methods. I just don't think CG is perfected yet...:rolleyes::(

Episodes IV - VI were AMAZING, my favourite movies of all time, and not a ounce of CG in sight :). Everything looks so realistic in them, even the puppets. Why could 3 amazing movies be made back then without the use of CG, but now he needs CG to make movies :confused:? Perhaps if he'd perfected CG on other movies first, and when it looked right and more realistic then introduce it into Star Wars. IMO anyway :).

PENDO!

bobafett07728
11-15-2002, 12:04 PM
CG isn't bad. . . depending on how it is used. In AOTC, it looks good because it looks real. In a TV show, it would have to be all CG, Humans would look. . .well. . .like crap. CG Aliens, vehicles, and landscape have become almost identical to real world. . . but they still haven't been able to accurately replicate humans. I think the way to go for a series like this would be cartoony animation, or maybe Japanese anime. This would alow all characters to be "accurately" depicted, rather that Yoda looking dead-on, and Obi looking like poop. Just imagine if GL used cartoons everywhere there was CG in AOTC. . .that's how the human characters would stand out in a CG series. I'm not going to complain, either way, just as long as the series comes out. The stroyline will be enough to keep me interested I'm sure.

bobafett07728
11-15-2002, 12:06 PM
Okay. . .Anakin riding the Shaak, and Reek looked like crap. . .but that further solidifies my argument about CG Humans. Otherwise AOTC's CG was acceptable. Taking Pendo's side though. . .I'd take Puppett Sy Snootles over that silly CG band anyday!!!!!

Rogue II
11-15-2002, 12:45 PM
I think there is a difference between CG used in ATOC and the CG that would be used for a cartoon. The humans in Heavy Gear didn't look all that bad, but the animators were not trying to make them look 100% real.

When I saw ATOC the first time, the battle scene reminded me of a movie from video game...something like Diablo II.

What style of animation is Heavy Metal and Heavy Metal 2000? I wouldn't mind seeing SW done in that fashion.

I could even go for CG background and non-CG animated characters. I thought something like that.

Oh why did you have to remind me of that crappy CG Sy Snoodles. Joh Yowza and ANH:SE Jabba were just as bad. I would go on about them, but that is a different thread.

bobafett07728
11-15-2002, 01:42 PM
True. . .very true.
A different thread that would be, indeed.

Jedi Clint
11-15-2002, 02:06 PM
I think the animation in Dragonball Z is excellent. Anything close to that gets my vote.

bobafett07728
11-15-2002, 02:10 PM
I think it could be stick figures, or claymation and I'd watch it!

dirtybones
11-15-2002, 02:26 PM
OH LORD...............PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE BEEN THROUGH ENOUGH FOR YOU......GIVE US LOYAL FANS THIS ONE THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, I'm a little happy that this news is out n about.

Rogue II
11-15-2002, 02:34 PM
Wow, Claymation Star Wars. That's what I want to see.

How about South Park style? Emperor Jargo already designed the entire cast for them.

El Chuxter
11-15-2002, 03:33 PM
I'd like either the simplistic style of the Batman/Batman Beyond/Superman/JLA series of cartoons, or the "pseudo-anime" of the new MOTU cartoon, or even of the Transformers: The Movie. It has to be a class act all around, period. None of this "sometimes good, more often lousy" animation that was so prevalent in the 80s.

And good voice talent is a must as well. Original actors wherever possible (though I understand big names like Lee, Portman, and MacGregor may be unavailable or unwilling).

Since Dark Horse is also exploring the Clone Wars (primarily from Anakin's standpoint, IIRC), and at least two novels are planned (one with Obi-Wan and the Ol' Grinner himself, the other with Mace), the animated series should try to mesh with these, but focus on a different cast. Adi Gallia, Plo Koon, Ki-Adi Mundi, or another fan favorite Jedi would be an obvious choice.

And, like the short-lived holonetnews.com, give us all sorts of stuff we want and clear up long-debated questions.

Eternal Padawan
11-15-2002, 04:28 PM
They've already designed the Clone Troopers in the computers, which is a big chunk of the cost of CG animation. They've got the same "character" over and over again. (the Clone). Throw in a few CGi Jedi (like Fisto and Yoda) and maybe the occasional voice guest star (Hayden? McDiarmid? Smits?) and voila. A kickbutt Cgi animated show.

I can't wait for the DVD! ;)

hellboy73
11-15-2002, 06:54 PM
Update on Clone War Animated Series
Thu, Nov 14, 02 07:58:21 PM EST

You may have seen the report on AICN about an animated series based on
the Clone Wars being in the works between Lucasfilm and the Cartoon
Network. Our independent sources checked into this rumor and confirmed
that it is, in fact, true. Our source was able to add a little bit more
info to AICN's report. It turns out that Lucasfilm created a pilot
episode of the series and took it to the Cartoon Network recently for a
pitch meeting. Our source was not yet able to find out who created the
pilot episode, find out who wrote it, or find out what the Cartoon
Network's response to the meeting was.

Now we venture into our own personal speculation. If Lucasfilm created
the pilot episode in-house, that would indicate it was most likely
computer animated. So could we expect this Clone War series to be
entirely CG? Possibly.:crazed:

The Overlord Returns
11-15-2002, 07:16 PM
Great news.........

I know you are new here hellboy, but just to let you know...you're thread will most likely get merged with the existing thread on this topic.
In future, you might want to make sure you post new information in existing threads, just to avoid later confusion!

Welcome to the boards and thanks for the update.

Darth Trymybestus
11-15-2002, 09:58 PM
I guess we'll find out the status of Anakin Skywalker, I thought that would leave the order and go and live on Tatooine with Padme after he married her at the end of Attack of the Clones.
Ben Kenobi mentions about how Owen Lars said that Anakin shouldn't have gotten involved and he shouldn't have followed Obi-Wan on a "damned fool idealistic crusade" :)

Oh and also an article from Entertainment Weekly: http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,391415~10~0~starwarscartoonmay,00.html

JEDIpartner
11-17-2002, 09:56 AM
that EW report pretty much confirms it ALL!

now... let's get to the details and confirmation of the pick-up!

Tycho
11-17-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Darth Trymybestus
I guess we'll find out the status of Anakin Skywalker, I thought that would leave the order and go and live on Tatooine with Padme after he married her at the end of Attack of the Clones.
Ben Kenobi mentions about how Owen Lars said that Anakin shouldn't have gotten involved and he shouldn't have followed Obi-Wan on a "damned fool idealistic crusade" :)

He still might. I just thought it would make more sense for the story line if he did. They can tell the story of the Clone Wars without Obi-Wan if they wanted to make Anakin's fate a surprise. But they could find out about Anakin's marriage later, but still before Episode 3.

I just think it would make more sense if Obi-Wan gets a new padawan, (to throw some mystery into "who is Darth Vader?" for new viewers) that Obi-Wan spends some time with the kid for the next 4 years, from age 13 to 17 for his new apprentice.

"A YOUNG JEDI named Darth Vader, WHO WAS A PUPIL OF MINE BEFORE HE TURNED TO EVIL, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi. HE BETRAYED AND MURDERED YOUR FATHER."

So it must be plausible, while watching ANH, that Anakin was ambiguously killed (by Obi-Wan, or in a suicide attempt by Anakin in the same said fight) and that another apprentice of Obi-Wan's was jealous of Anakin, had a motive for murder, as well as dark tendancies, incomplete training, etc., and also meet an ambiguous end (although at some point in the movie, it can be later inferred that he DID INDEED DIE, either at the Separatists' hands, or Palpatine's!

Then you'll wonder if it's true - or even possible - when Darth Vader tells Luke that he is his father.

This is a 12 hour movie - not a "how to make a Sith Lord documentary" for fans who already know who Darth Vader is.

Your final 6-disc DVD collection should be shown IN EPISODE ORDER to any child of yours, or friend of yours, who has NEVER seen Star Wars.

Then Episode 3, and even 4, as well as / especially as 5 will seem particularly dark. This is the way it is supposed to be in drama.

2-1B
11-17-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Nexu
Does anyone else feel the way I do, or am I alone?

I wouldn't care about an animated series. I wouldn't watch it because I don't get Cartoon Network . . . if I COULD watch it, I guess I would but I'm not really excited by the news or anything. :)

Dave_Cameron
11-18-2002, 10:00 AM
I get Cartoon Network and I know I would definitely be tuning in!

-and Caesar, that's a really scary picture you have there.

Beast
11-18-2002, 05:21 PM
A couple more reports have come out from AICN, that pretty much confirms that the Animated Clone Wars series is a reality. Here is both reports. :)

Hello believers in the force, Harry here... Well, since posting this story, some interesting things have happened. I've heard stories about Cartoon Network execs migrating north from Hollywood to LucasLand, hush hush whispers around the toony halls that this is indeed happening. The word I'm hearing is that the show will be about the 3 year gap between the last film and the next film, as the rumor has it that the next film begins with the last major battle of the Clone Wars... The show would purportedly show us the rest. Now TheForce.Net has been doing some confirming of their own, and have found that indeed AICN, Me and my source were dead on correct. HOWEVER, they found out that in addition, LucasFilm independently and on their own have created a full pilot internally!!! That pilot could only come from either ILM or LucasArts game division... I'm betting ILM. Is it possible that we'll be seeing a high grade CG animated series from the wizards of Marin County? We'll have to wait for announcements - or the next installment of leaks to TheForce.Net or myself or one of the other cybersnoops online! Exciting... Isn't this?

The Latest on CLONE WARS Animated Series!!!

Hey folks, Harry here. Today I was contacted by a source inside the Cartoon Network that said it was about time I figured out they were doing something with Lucas and STAR WARS. It seems that they are not in advance talks for the CLONE WARS, they've signed the deal. It's done. Complete... A Sure Thing.

The format will be serialized shorts to keep with the Star Wars Serial motif. These will not be half hour adventures, but more in the line of short films. These animated shorts will play inbetween two regular half hour cartoons in a fixed slot.

Genndy Tartakovsky (SAMURAI JACK fame) will produce - and the early development designs have evidently been pretty close to SAMURAI JACK in style, thus far, but currently they are in the middle of a whole new set of designs, so my source at the Cartoon Network isn't sure exactly how it'll come out, just the path they've been on thus far.

I'll stay on this series like mayo on peanut butter!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
11-18-2002, 05:33 PM
OH god.....not SAMURAI JACK STYLE!!!!!!!!!!!

The style works for that kind of show, but I hope we're getting something a little more serious in tone with this proposed series....still, I really like the "short film" idea. Sort of like the Macross Movies.......again......anime style would be so f'ing cool here.....

Rogue II
11-18-2002, 05:38 PM
I've never seen Samurai Jack. So what we are getting are a few 5 minute "short films"in between other cartoons? Kind of a letdown, but I won't make any judgements until I see them.

Darth Trymybestus
11-19-2002, 05:41 PM
ok.. I don't get the cartoon network :( so I was wondering, do you think it'll be released on DVD? :confused: :)

Pendo
11-20-2002, 10:41 AM
I don't like the "short episode" thing. I was kinda hoping for a full 30 minute episode at set times, instead of only getting a 5 minute thing inbetween other cartoons. Even at fixed slots they'll probably change it so you'd have to watch Cartoon Network all day to get the whole story :(. I think it will totaly suck doing that :mad:!
It also makes it unlikely for them to come out on DVD. I can't see 5 minute cartoon episodes coming to DVD :(.

PENDO!

bobafett07728
11-20-2002, 02:58 PM
Why does it seem like they are dropping the ball here?!?!?!?! Five minute shorts!?!?!?!? What in blazes!?!?!?!?!? PLEASE let this be a mistake!!! These shows MUST be a half-hour!!!!!! Please don't make me regret I heard about this!!!

Rogue II
11-20-2002, 03:16 PM
I don't think we know for sure how long each show will be. My initial guess was 5 minutes. It will hopefully be longer. The only shows I've watched on Cartoon Network are Looney Toons and Animaniacs. The shows always seem to end after about 22 minutes, leaving about 8 minutes of commercials and credits. I still doubt that each Clone War cartoon will be any more than 15 minutes.

RooJay
11-21-2002, 07:33 AM
May I just say that I have been dreaming of just this type of thing or a long, LONG time! I'm hoping that this may open the door for yet more animated Star Wars adventures. Perhaps even post ROTJ sequels (novels adapted into animation? I hope so.) following the release of Episode 3! Perhaps an animated bridge in the gap between ANH and ESB! The possibilities are endless!

One more thing...I would just like to say a little something about the whole notion of Lucas "preserving the mystery" of Anakin becoming Darth Vader in Episode 3 - anybody who doesn't already know it, won't care to know it. That's all she wrote!

mrmiller
11-21-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by bobafett07728
Why does it seem like they are dropping the ball here?!?!?!?! Please don't make me regret I heard about this!!!

Amen Brother.

James Boba Fettfield
12-03-2002, 01:58 PM
SPY REPORT: Clone War Cartoon Update from theforce.net
Tue, Dec 03, 02 12:18:22 AM EST

When news first broke on the possibility of a Clone War cartoon - needless to say scores of Star Wars fans were thrilled. The prospect of some hi-quality animation set in the Star Wars universe got fans excited. TFN has been working to get the scoop on what exactly this will or maybe would have been like, posting a few updates in the last few weeks and now here's the latest:
Unfortunately, everyone here is talking about the Clone War series in the past tense. As in, not going to happen. The project was going to be expansive - the Cartoon Network wanted some of a toy line and merchandising based on the new sub-franchise themselves, and Six Flags even wanted to make rides centered on them. This was going to be a huge operation, possibly as big as the movies themselves. "Event animation," not some cheap cartoon.
All that exists in all actuality is some concept art floating around offline and a short pilot type of episode - really at best described as a story demo reel that looks alot like Tartakovsky's stuff. Character elements look somewhat handdrawn, but it is completely CGI and very few people have been priviy enough to see it. And the now defunct Feature Films Division at ILM (Frankenstein) are responsible for the project so far, which is going to also pose a problem since they no longer exist, being disbanded months before this took off. But the bottom line is that everyone on this end really wants to do it - but wants more that Lucasfilm will offer. As always, it seems to have boiled down to money unless someone blinks first.

Keep in mind this could change at a moment's notice: Lucasfilm could reduce the demand for the profits - the Cartoon Network could decide to back it no matter what the cost. But as of this writing, several insiders are saying this slam dunk landed like a brick at the expense of the Almighty Dollar.
Hopefully this is all part of the process and the companies can still work out some sort of deal. After deals with Fox, Pepsi, Hasbro that all cost them more than they returned, it seems to make us wonder if TCN is willing to assume such a risk as well. But man, it sure would be cool ...

I'm open to hearing some speculation on this.

Pendo
12-03-2002, 02:27 PM
My anticipation for this has dropped. And it continues to drop with everything I read :(. I know some fans will be looking forward to it, but I'd rather it not happen at all than it happening and being a big steaming pile of horse sh** (which is what I can see it becoming)!

PENDO!

LTBasker
12-03-2002, 08:44 PM
I was hoping they'd make it more like Starship Troopers: Roughneck chronicles with each episode having a continuation instead of just the random episodes. Also CGI animated would work alot better, something like that just can't work as a normal cartoon.

The 'Xir
12-10-2002, 02:12 PM
I don't know what is so big about Japanese Anime? I would much rather have this new series look and have the overall tone like Transformers 'Beast Wars' had or Final Fantasy8 the Movie! I think Anime sucks, it looks like cartoons out of the 60's or something, the drawings are basic and the colors are plain. It all started with that stupid Speed Racer, except for the theme song, I still have no Idea why that show was popular! Needless to say I think that new Transformers Anime sucks too! The only good Anime or close to Anime that I've seen is the Old school 'Voltron' with the lions!!!

Dr Zoltar
12-10-2002, 03:12 PM
I have to agree with The 'Xir. I have no clue why Japanese Anime is so popular. I remember an old episode of Pokeman I happened to come across and each person's mouth had 3 expessions -- closed, round, or triangular. And to show anger the animators "shook" the cartoon head really fast blurring it. Seems to me many of the Anime stuff is just churned out as fast as can be done. But kids like it and it sells, so that's all that really matters, right?

CGI would be the best look for the Clone Troopers cartoon. They've already have templates for the stuff from the video games being produced.

Beast
12-10-2002, 03:16 PM
There is a difference between good Japanese Anime, and the crap they use for Pokemon. The stuff they use for the kiddy Anime is a far lower quality and detail to some of their more adult fare. Check out things like Vampire Hunter D, Princess Mononoke, or Akira for real Japanimation. The rest is kiddy crap. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Chiesa
12-12-2002, 06:20 AM
Princess Mononoke? I thought that movie was a bore for me JJB :) Great Anime is the Gundam series. Look at the art work, it is pretty amazing with the robots and all, that would suit our clone wars theme nicely. Though I'm not a huge anime fan myself, i must admit the quality of top notch anime is really superb! I was rather impressed with Starship Trooper: Chronicles. I think the characters looked very decent as you could distinctly distinguish the characters.

But its a pity that this series will most likely not realise. When I first read this thread I was totally excited but like many left disappointed! :(

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

Adam
12-12-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by The 'Xir
Needless to say I think that new Transformers Anime sucks too!

Grrr!

While the art in Armada truly does suck most of the time, there are a few momments of EXCELLENT animation. It just doesn't happen a lot. :cry:

And Princess Mononoke is an excellent movie. :)

Lman316
12-20-2002, 07:02 PM
Has this been cancelled?

I heard some talk in the Saga section (about the new Gunship with more firepower or something) and someone said that the Clone Wars cartoon idea is all but dead.

What happened? Did it really fall apart?

End...

RooJay
12-21-2002, 12:12 AM
While the idea of a Clone Wars cartoon may or may not be dead, I doubt that will have little effect on Lucasfilm (and Hasbro's) other plans for the Clone Wars event this coming year. You can almost certainly rest assured that we will still see the Clone Wars toys (including the Gunship with "more firepower" [they may as well re-release the Gunship with the side guns since it seems few of us will ever have shot at finding even one Clone Pilot, let alone two!]), the Clone Wars books, comics, and whatever else they have planned.

Too bad about that cartoon idea though...

Lman316
12-21-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
While the idea of a Clone Wars cartoon may or may not be dead, I doubt that will have little effect on Lucasfilm (and Hasbro's) other plans for the Clone Wars event this coming year. You can almost certainly rest assured that we will still see the Clone Wars toys (including the Gunship with "more firepower" [they may as well re-release the Gunship with the side guns since it seems few of us will ever have shot at finding even one Clone Pilot, let alone two!]), the Clone Wars books, comics, and whatever else they have planned.

Too bad about that cartoon idea though...

When did the plan die, though? And where did everyone get the news about it?
If it is to never happen, that (for a lack of a better word) sucks. I was really looking forward to it, even if it was going to be some piddly little 15 minutes mini-shows. Too bad...

End...

Rogue II
12-21-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
SPY REPORT: Clone War Cartoon Update from theforce.net
Tue, Dec 03, 02 12:18:22 AM EST

When news first broke on the possibility of a Clone War cartoon - needless to say scores of Star Wars fans were thrilled. The prospect of some hi-quality animation set in the Star Wars universe got fans excited. TFN has been working to get the scoop on what exactly this will or maybe would have been like, posting a few updates in the last few weeks and now here's the latest:
Unfortunately, everyone here is talking about the Clone War series in the past tense. As in, not going to happen. The project was going to be expansive - the Cartoon Network wanted some of a toy line and merchandising based on the new sub-franchise themselves, and Six Flags even wanted to make rides centered on them. This was going to be a huge operation, possibly as big as the movies themselves. "Event animation," not some cheap cartoon.
All that exists in all actuality is some concept art floating around offline and a short pilot type of episode - really at best described as a story demo reel that looks alot like Tartakovsky's stuff. Character elements look somewhat handdrawn, but it is completely CGI and very few people have been priviy enough to see it. And the now defunct Feature Films Division at ILM (Frankenstein) are responsible for the project so far, which is going to also pose a problem since they no longer exist, being disbanded months before this took off. But the bottom line is that everyone on this end really wants to do it - but wants more that Lucasfilm will offer. As always, it seems to have boiled down to money unless someone blinks first.

Keep in mind this could change at a moment's notice: Lucasfilm could reduce the demand for the profits - the Cartoon Network could decide to back it no matter what the cost. But as of this writing, several insiders are saying this slam dunk landed like a brick at the expense of the Almighty Dollar.
Hopefully this is all part of the process and the companies can still work out some sort of deal. After deals with Fox, Pepsi, Hasbro that all cost them more than they returned, it seems to make us wonder if TCN is willing to assume such a risk as well. But man, it sure would be cool ...

I'm open to hearing some speculation on this.

Lman, did you read all of the posts?

Lman316
12-21-2002, 11:59 PM
Lman, did you read all of the posts? \

No, actually I didn't. I had read all of them for the first couple of pages (when this was a new thread), and then I just stopped because there wasn't really any new info coming in. Then when I heard about them cancelling it in the Saga section, I ran down (I think) the last two pages. When I didn't see anyone talking about that (which I assumed people would) I thought I'd ask.
I have to stop being so lazy and read all the post from now on, as not to waste anyone's time :crazed:.

Thanks, Rogue and RooJay!

End...

Beast
02-09-2003, 07:47 PM
The Private Universe has a new report on the Clone Wars: Animated Series. It seems to still be a go, though nothing is official yet. Wish we would hear somthing concrete soon. :)

The Clone Wars Project Latest Rumours
Reported By - Pete [Editor] Sunday, February 9th 2003 - 11:24:35 PM

I had an interesting email earlier from someone who seemed to know plenty on The Clone Wars project.

It seems that the cartoon of TCW will be a 26 part series, with 13 episodes out each year till E3 is released, The cartoon is said to be very much like the Starship Troopers cartoon series for style rather than the previously rumoured Samurai Jack series. All the main characters have been voiced by the film actors, and all our favourite film characters will be making appearences throughout the series.

Take this for what it is until some official news is released, but it sounds pretty good to me.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
02-10-2003, 01:21 AM
SWEEEEEEET!!:D

2-1B
02-10-2003, 01:26 AM
I will be VERY surprised if they get the main actors to voice their cartoon
characters . . . VERY surprised.

Beast
02-10-2003, 01:34 AM
Caesar, since the entire main cast has to come together for the filming of E3, it won't be hard to drag them into a recording studio for some quick recordings. :)

Since only Hayden Christensen, Ewen McGregor, Frank Oz, and Samuel L. Jackson, would really be the primary cast members. And then you could have small guest apperances by Christopher Lee, Ian McDiarmid, Daniel Logan, and Anthony Daniels if/when they appear in the series as guest starts.

Natalie Portman likely won't be needed, since Padme's off limits for EU during the Clone Wars for Dark Horse, I assume the same would be said for her in the cartoon. Of course, don't quote me on that. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
02-10-2003, 02:03 AM
Caesar, since the entire main cast has to come together for the filming of E3, it won't be hard to drag them into a recording studio for some quick recordings. :)

Since only Hayden Christensen, Ewen McGregor, Frank Oz, and Samuel L. Jackson, would really be the primary cast members. And then you could have small guest apperances by Christopher Lee, Ian McDiarmid, Daniel Logan, and Anthony Daniels if/when they appear in the series as guest starts.

Natalie Portman likely won't be needed, since Padme's off limits for EU during the Clone Wars for Dark Horse, I assume the same would be said for her in the cartoon. Of course, don't quote me on that. :)

Sure, but they could just as easily drag Matt Lucas, Jonathan Love, Tom Kane, and T.C. Carson into a recording studio for some quick recordings. And then get Corey Burton to guest star as Dooku. ;)

Directed by
Greg Borrud

Cast (in credits order)
Grey DeLisle .... Amidala, Bera Khazan (voice)
Matt Lucas .... Anakin Skywalker (voice)
Corey Burton .... Battle Droid Scout/Count Dooku (voice)
André Sogliuzzo .... Clone Trooper/Cydon Prax (voice)
Frank Welker .... Outpost Commander (voice)
Lori Tritel .... Luminara Unduli (voice)
Terrence 'T.C.' Carson .... Mace Windu (voice) (as T.C. Carson)
Jonathan Love .... Obi-Wan Kenobi (voice)
Charles Dennis .... Ulic Qel-Droma (voice)
Tom Kane (II) .... Yoda (voice)
Daran Norris .... Dark Acolyte, Engineer, Old Obi-Wan (voice) (as Darran Norris)

That's from IMDb and yes, I do realize that their info is subject to verification. :crazed:

edit: I know Binks, the list is from 2002 :D

Beast
02-10-2003, 02:15 AM
That's just the voice cast for the video game, "The Clone Wars". I'm not suprised to see them not use the actual cast for the video games, since the movie cut scenes are just a small part of the actual game. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
02-10-2003, 03:47 AM
That's great news about TCW, especially if the actual cast do the voices :). But wouldn't it cost the studios ALOT of money to do that for just a cartoon? Fingers crossed anyway...

PENDO!

mini-rock
02-10-2003, 08:41 AM
Natalie Portman likely won't be needed, since Padme's off limits for EU during the Clone Wars for Dark Horse, :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Why is Padme off limits?:confused:

mylow thehutt
02-16-2003, 05:20 PM
It'd be cool if the clone wars were like the old beast wars shows that be hot.:D

RooJay
02-17-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock
Why is Padme off limits?:confused:

Yeah, why is Padme off limits?

Beast
02-17-2003, 06:16 PM
I believe that Dark Horse stated that due to the fact that Padme would be pregnant in EIII, that they couldn't deal with her during the Clone War. Lucas doesn't want anything that occurs in the Clone Wars Official EU to contradict any of the plot of E3. specially if Anakin is supposed to not know that she's pregnant.

Just saying that she's either staying on Naboo, or returning to Coruscant to deal with things in the senate is easier then having to skirt the issues of her pregnancy, and marriage to Anakin. Especially the marriage, that could easily mess up things.

Since Anakin and Padme are trying to keep it a secret, they wouldn't want to show off that they were married around Yoda, Mace, or Obi-Wan. The strong feelings they both have for each other, would be pretty hard for the Jedi not to detect their love and lust for each other.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
02-17-2003, 06:26 PM
But they've got to meet up at one point before Episode III for her to be pregnant in it. I know you're supposed to be able to do amazing things with the force, but i doubt even Anakin is that strong :crazed:.

i think Padmé could be in a few episodes of The Clone Wars, but not as part of the action but perhaps away on Coruscant in the Senate, or maybe a hologram talking to Anakin.

PENDO!

Beast
02-17-2003, 06:30 PM
Well yeah, I assume that Anakin will go back to Coruscant for some shore leave at some point. Or he'll get wounded again and need another cybernetic replacement part. And then Padme and him can do the deed. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
02-17-2003, 11:57 PM
I am sorry, but I didn't want to read the whole thread....are they making this cartoon?

Pendo
02-18-2003, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by kidhuman
I am sorry, but I didn't want to read the whole thread....are they making this cartoon?

It's a bit iffy. We're not sure yet. There were strong rumors towards it, then they died down for a while and everyone thought the project was canceled, but the rumors started coming back again. They're all rumors at this point, but it's looking like it's possibly a "yes" :).

PENDO!

Kidhuman
02-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Thanks Pendo

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
02-20-2003, 11:10 AM
It's Official! They're animated shorts though...

http://www.theforce.net/episode2/index.shtml#19908

Pendo
02-20-2003, 11:33 AM
Woohoo! Well the the cartoon anyway :rolleyes:, I think the 'shorts' idea is a baaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea. Thanx for the alert HBH :).

For anyone who has trouble loading TheForce.net here's what it says:

Originally posted on TheForce.net (http://www.theforce.net)
Cartoon Network and Lucasfilm Announce Star Wars Animated Shorts
Thursday February 20, 10:25 am ET

20 Animated "Clone Wars' Serial Shorts to Appear on Cartoon Network in 2003-2004

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 20, 2003--Cartoon Network and Lucasfilm Ltd. announced today a partnership to create Star Wars: Clone Wars, a series of 20 animated shorts that will air on Cartoon Network in 2003-2004 between other programming.

Star Wars: Clone Wars continues the saga where the live action feature film Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones left off - at the beginning of the Clone Wars, an epic civil war that pits the old Republic against a vast separatist movement led by the forces of evil.

Each episodic short will be two- to three-minutes in length and will air exclusively on Cartoon Network at regularly scheduled times during the network's regular programming beginning later this fall. Clone Wars will be produced at Cartoon Network Studios by a team led by Genndy Tartakovsky, the creator of Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory.

As Clone Wars unfolds the valiant Jedi Knights lead the Republic's Clone Army against many new and ruthless adversaries across the galaxy. These new characters, epic battles and intricate stories will add an exciting new dimension to the Star Wars saga.

"We are incredibly excited to be working with Lucasfilm in creating an animated story that extends one of the world's most beloved entertainment properties," said Sam Register, senior vice president of development for Cartoon Network. "Cartoon Network's creative team will work hand-in-hand with Lucasfilm to make sure that our common vision for Clone Wars thrills Star Wars fans around the world."

"Genndy Tartakovsky and the team at Cartoon Network are tops in their field," said Howard Roffman, president of Lucas Licensing. "Their work on Samurai Jack shows that they can tell an epic story in a unique way, lavishing equal attention on dramatic battle scenes as well as the dramatic development of the characters."

The news can also be checked out on ComingSoon.net (http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/archive/fullnews.cgi?newsid1045755180,36091,).

PENDO!

mtriv73
02-20-2003, 12:49 PM
Well, that settles it. I'm getting a satellite. Our local cable company refuses to add any more stations and we don't get the cartoon network.

Greyfolk
02-20-2003, 01:00 PM
Clone Wars cartoons airing on cartoon network is official now!

http://comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/archive/fullnews.cgi?newsid1045755180,36091,

Greyfolk
02-20-2003, 01:02 PM
Lucas Film officially announced that they will be releasing the Clone Wars Cartoons on Cartoon Network today!

Greyfolk
02-20-2003, 01:05 PM
Sorry, I've posted this in 2 other threads, but I'm excited. LucasFilm announced today that the Clone Wars will be animated on the Cartoon Network this year and into 2004.

Genndy Tartakovsky will be animating it (Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory)

Kidhuman
02-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Why Shorts? Why not make an entire cartoon? I don't like the idea of shorts. It is ridiculous. I am glad it is being done but give each episode the time it deserves to actually carry out the entire plotline of the story.

Rogue II
02-20-2003, 01:23 PM
It is going to be a pain in the butt trying to remember to tune into this because of its length and timeslot.

How long is a "short"?

Greyfolk
02-20-2003, 01:25 PM
I don't know, but Bugs Bunny was always one of my favorites, and they are only shorts... of course there was no plotline development.. Maybe Lucas doesn't have a plot either.? ;)

Kidhuman
02-20-2003, 01:29 PM
If you go to the clonew wars section there is a thread on it. Each short is 3 minutes. Poopie if you ask me. I wanted a whole half-hour long cartoon on it.

Rogue II
02-20-2003, 01:35 PM
3 Minutes?

With 20 episodes, that's only an hour for the entire series. That's weak.

Jargo
02-20-2003, 01:38 PM
Okay, this style they're supposedly being done in, anyone have a link to a site for that stuff? I just have no point of reference to actually visualise the characters done in a cartoony way. I have a vague recollection of what dexters laboratory looks like but I'm not well versed in kids cartoons these days. Pretty piccies pretty please :D :kiss: ta.

Lman316
02-20-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Okay, this style they're supposedly being done in, anyone have a link to a site for that stuff? I just have no point of reference to actually visualise the characters done in a cartoony way. I have a vague recollection of what dexters laboratory looks like but I'm not well versed in kids cartoons these days. Pretty piccies pretty please :D :kiss: ta.

The thread about this in the TV section said it was originally going to be done in Samurai Jack style (which appears on Cartoon Network). Then someone else said that that idea had been recalled and they were going to do it like the Starship Troopers cartoon, which is CGI. It wasn't bad, but the humans all looked like crap, IMO.
I don't know what this link here said, as it won't work for me. I even tried just typing in "comingsoon.net" and I still get nothing.
If anyone can relay what was say on the site, I'd much appreciate it :D.

End...

Kidhuman
02-20-2003, 01:48 PM
Cartoon Network and Lucasfilm Ltd. announced today a partnership to create Star Wars: Clone Wars, a series of 20 animated shorts that will air on Cartoon Network in 2003-2004 between other programming.

Star Wars: Clone Wars continues the saga where the live action feature film Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones left off - at the beginning of the Clone Wars, an epic civil war that pits the old Republic against a vast separatist movement led by the forces of evil.

Each episodic short will be two- to three-minutes in length and will air exclusively on Cartoon Network at regularly scheduled times during the network's regular programming beginning later this fall. "Clone Wars" will be produced at Cartoon Network Studios by a team led by Genndy Tartakovsky, the creator of Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory.

As "Clone Wars" unfolds the valiant Jedi Knights lead the Republic's Clone Army against many new and ruthless adversaries across the galaxy. These new characters, epic battles and intricate stories will add an exciting new dimension to the Star Wars saga.

"We are incredibly excited to be working with Lucasfilm in creating an animated story that extends one of the world's most beloved entertainment properties," said Sam Register, senior vice president of development for Cartoon Network. "Cartoon Network's creative team will work hand-in-hand with Lucasfilm to make sure that our common vision for Clone Wars thrills Star Wars fans around the world."

"Genndy Tartakovsky and the team at Cartoon Network are tops in their field," said Howard Roffman, president of Lucas Licensing. "Their work on Samurai Jack shows that they can tell an epic story in a unique way, lavishing equal attention on dramatic battle scenes as well as the dramatic development of the characters."

That is the article

DarthChuckMc
02-20-2003, 01:48 PM
here's a sketch from SW.com

scruffziller
02-20-2003, 01:50 PM
WOW Cool a Kaminoan who is a SITH, YES!!!!!!

Greyfolk
02-20-2003, 01:58 PM
Hmmm... could go either way along that line.

Lman316
02-20-2003, 02:00 PM
How many do I speak for when I say, "Um..." or maybe even, "Yuck" ?

First: 2 - 3 minutes long? Are they out of their minds? What good is that? I was hoping for whole 30 minute shows (which I know, that after commercials aren't really 30 minutes, more like 18 - 20. But still.). Even 15 minutes would have been good.
I mean, you'd get probably more information and entertainment by playing the Clone Wars video game. That's at least 20 minutes of a story, anyway....;) (for those of you who've played the game).

Okay, I like Samuarai Jack, and all - it's a nice cartoon. The style is weird, but it fits for that cartoon. Why do they have to copy it over to this? Couldn't have they have used a different style of animation? Even CGI, although not original, would have been better for this, IMO. Or maybe some other type of conventional animation. This just doesn't look "Star Wars-y."

And the style's not even what peeves me so much about it. I was really looking forward to this, and now I'm let down. 3 minutes? :confused:

End...

Old Fossil
02-20-2003, 02:01 PM
And I thought this thread was going to be about clothing.:crazed:

blueswiz
02-20-2003, 02:01 PM
:D i'm pretty excited, i hope it's done right though. it would suck to have it become all a big joke. i'm looking forward to the new characters which will give birth to more new figures!!!

blueswiz
02-20-2003, 02:03 PM
BTW, the shorts idea really does suck too.

Greyfolk
02-20-2003, 02:03 PM
Its not a copy of Samuarai Jack, its by the artist, so therefore it is his style. I think it could work if done right.

mini-rock
02-20-2003, 02:08 PM
OH HELL YEAH!!!
This is too cool. And you know we will eventually get this on DVD too. Kudos to Tartakovsky for taking the idea to Lucasfilm, and giving us prequel fans something to hold us over till EP3.:D

Pendo
02-20-2003, 02:24 PM
And you know we will eventually get this on DVD too.

I hope that when it does come on DVD it will also bring along the release of the Droids and Ewoks cartoons too :).

PENDO!

Adam
02-20-2003, 02:29 PM
It's good news, but keep TV in the TV forum.

187-Maul
02-20-2003, 02:30 PM
I like the idea of a clonewars cartoon and the picture of the cartoon doesn't look bad either IMO but having short 2-3 minute episodes is really ridiculous IMO, especially with 20 parts, it will be only 40-60 minutes in total, which is pretty short

Pendo
02-20-2003, 02:32 PM
I'm not too keen on the style of the Animation, but I'll probably get used to it after a while :). Looks like Anakin still has his mechanical hand, wonder if it'll still have no flesh in Episode III too? I'm not sure how this Kaminoan Sith will fit into it. I'm really looking forward to it though, just wish the episodes were a little longer.

PENDO!

Pendo
02-20-2003, 02:36 PM
There are two other threads about this already. You can find them here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17875) and here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15880)

Maybe a mod can merge them all together :).

PENDO!

Adam
02-20-2003, 02:38 PM
I think limiting them to three minute shorts is a really, really, really horrible idea. And they want to make a toyline off of this?

mini-rock
02-20-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Adam
I think limiting them to three minute shorts is a really, really, really horrible idea. And they want to make a toyline off of this?

Coulda been worse. They could have made them 30 second shorts or not have made anything at all. Hmm?

Fulit
02-20-2003, 03:05 PM
Anyone have a release date for fall? They must have at least a couple of episodes in the can already, those things take like 6 months to make. Wonder who they'll get to do the voices?

Pendo
02-20-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
Anyone have a release date for fall? They must have at least a couple of episodes in the can already, those things take like 6 months to make. Wonder who they'll get to do the voices?

It would be brilliant if they could get the actual cast from the movies, but I very much doubt the comapny would pay that much time and money just to do that. I think they should at least try and get Frank Oz, and Anthony Daniels if C-3PO is going to be in the series. I would really HATE someone to take Anthony Daniel's job :mad:.

PENDO!

El Chuxter
02-20-2003, 03:18 PM
YES! This rules! I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't wait for the DVD a year or so later. :)

Originally posted by Adam

I'm not sure the toyline is based on the cartoon alone (though it's likely future figures will be drawn from it). Dark Horse is exploring the Clone Wars, starting with the Battle of Kamino in Republic #50, and so is Del Rey (at least two hardcover novels are scheduled). And it's likely a good portion of the toyline is completely from the imaginations of Hasbro.

El Chuxter
02-20-2003, 03:37 PM
Some of the actors love Star Wars so much, they might consider it, Pendo. Hayden's not exactly a big name in the US yet, and the only two really huge names I can think of who might be involved would be Christopher Lee and Ewan MacGregor, both of whom could fit in the first category. I mean, this is an actual TV show (regardless of how short), not some video game.

I think Genndy Tartakovsky will do SW justice. He's done Dexter's Lab and (I think) Powerpuff Girls in addition to Samurai Jack, and they all look gorgeous. I'd prefer a style like his, that won't date itself, to CG that will look clunky a decade from now. All three of those shows also have pretty sophisticated stories and humor, but still appeal widely to kids, both of which are qualities that should fit SW perfectly.

I'd love it if John Williams composes new music, but I could live with recycling music from the movies. (Or, better yet, using some of the unused music from the Saga.)

Man, I'm so happy! Three minutes an ep is short, but it's better than nothing. I can't wait to see how this jives with the version of the Clone Wars from Del Rey, Hasbro, Scholastic, and Dark Horse. Altogether, combined with AOTC and E3, we should get a pretty decent picture of the Clone Wars.

jpak001
02-20-2003, 03:52 PM
This is the best news I've heard in a long time!
Being a big animation fan, I just can't wait to see these shorts.

Hopefully we'll get DVD's in a timely fasion!

The True Maul
02-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Looks good, can't wait to see it. The 3 minutes stinks but hopefully it will be well worth it.:D

jjreason
02-20-2003, 04:29 PM
I don't think it's that big a deal that they're only 3 min. long each. The total will be around an hour, if not longer. That's sweet. Look at the big picture!

James Boba Fettfield
02-20-2003, 04:40 PM
So the Samurai Jack style rumors were true. The bald woman reminds me of that dark Jedi from the Bounty Hunter game, though without the hair. I swear, that woman looks a lot a like her with the black dress and the two lightsabers that look like Dooku's.

plasticfetish
02-20-2003, 05:09 PM
Wow!

No more making fun of the Star Wars cartoon idea for me. Genndy Tartakovsky is brilliant and Samurai Jack is a great cartoon. I absolutely can not wait to see how this turns out.
I'll take them short if that's all we can have for now ... I'm sure they'll end up being great and the whole thing can expand from there. What a great idea! Again ... wow!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-20-2003, 05:20 PM
Yeah, i noticed that too JBF. I guess that's the Sith Witch?? :confused:

Anyway, i'm sure i'll dig this cartoon if it's done well. I can't wait!! :D

Beast
02-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Since they are shorts, it would be cool to present them as if they were an actual Republic news story on the holonet. Sort of how they have the news stories in Starship Troopers. Would be an intresting way of presenting them, since they are shorts. :)

*static* "This transmission is being interrupted for breaking news from the Republic Holonet". Then show the 3 minute episode. And then you do a "Stay tuned to the Republic Holonet for more updates". :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
02-20-2003, 05:39 PM
JJB that is a FAN-SMEGGING-TASTIC idea :D!!! I would love it if it was done like that :). It would be better than trying to fit a story into a 3-minute slot.

PENDO!

mini-rock
02-20-2003, 05:46 PM
JJB that is a FAN-SMEGGING-TASTIC idea :D!!! I would love it if it was done like that :). It would be better than trying to fit a story into a 3-minute slot.

PENDO!

I agree.:)

Fulit
02-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Another thing, will the events that take place in the cartoon be considered "canon"?

Greyfolk
02-20-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by 187-Maul
I like the idea of a clonewars cartoon and the picture of the cartoon doesn't look bad either IMO but having short 2-3 minute episodes is really ridiculous IMO, especially with 20 parts, it will be only 40-60 minutes in total, which is pretty short

40-60 Minutes sounds about right.. GL will be selling the DVD as one whole cartoon as opposed to 3 min. segments--thats my guess.

Greyfolk
02-20-2003, 06:03 PM
TV sounded too off-topic for this great news.

derek
02-20-2003, 06:19 PM
Coulda been worse. They could have made them 30 second shorts or not have made anything at all. Hmm?

if this is how it's gonna be, i would prefer nothing.:)

why can't they make a real series out of this with awesome "final fantasy" CGI animation?

i'll pass on this.

Dr Zoltar
02-20-2003, 06:42 PM
Samurai Jack is fun, but I think this type of cartooning for Star Wars is a poor choice. The only thing worse is if the cartoonists for Pokemon did it. I'd rather have CGI.

Beast
02-20-2003, 06:50 PM
Well, the news story says that Lucas is a fan of Samurai Jack, so he obviously likes the look of it's animation. So what's wrong with going with somthing George likes. If he wanted it CGI, it would have been done that way.

"The great thing is George Lucas is a fan of 'Samurai Jack," Tartakovsky notes, "So he said, 'let them do their job without being too involved.' I think this is great because we don't have to copy exactly what the live action is, and we can take Star Wars and interpret it and animate it in our style."
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
02-20-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Dr Zoltar
I'd rather have CGI.

I'm the most Anti-CGI person you would ever meet :p. I'm glad that it wont be created with CGI. I think I would hate CGI more than the fact that each episode is only 3 minutes long :p. I still don't like the style of animation that has been chosen, I would prefer something more like the old Droids/Ewoks cartoons, but the style chosen does have a slight resemblence to it. It wont be long until the animation grows on me though.

PENDO!

cassanova frankensti
02-20-2003, 07:03 PM
THe 2-3 minutes per short makes the whole thing rather pointless. They will have less plot than an average episode of Beavis and Butthead. Even if you view them all at once to make 45 to and hour long viewing, it will be sooooo choppy that it will just be a jarring experience to watch this rather than an anjoyable one. Im not too excited about this, as I might have been if there were going to be 30 min cartoons that could advance a real story.

QLD
02-20-2003, 07:05 PM
I got some Clone Wars shorts the other day. They are a little tight in my bum though. :eek:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-20-2003, 07:29 PM
These could be awesome! Samurai Jack is great, hopefully these will be too. 20 weeks, right? Dang!!!!!

mini-rock
02-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Ultimately I prefer CGI also, but I dig the look of the SJ cartoon. Either way I'm just glad to be getting more SW.:D

jad
02-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Gosh, I can't believe how many of you folks are being negative about this! I can respect everyone's opinion but I freaken swear, sometimes star wars fans can be the biggest bunch of whiners. ;)

Ok now that I got that off my chest, I really am excited about this, before you go and knock this read the entire article including the interview with the guy thats Directing it. You can find the articles on the official site starwars.com :)

I've loved the Samarai Jack series ever since it came out, it's a very cool style for a show. I think we should all be happy that Lucasfilm is producing something in the film or moving picture atleast type medium to tide us over until Episode III. After all once Episode III is over thats pretty much it, so I think we should enjoy it while it lasts. Just my two cents...

derek
02-20-2003, 08:35 PM
the real question is:

Is there going to be a "clone war, the animated series" forum?

i just can't wait to discuss the jam packed storylines in these epic 3 minute cartoons!!!the idea of 3 minute star wars cartoons is probably the best idea since howard the duck. and you gotta just love that new sith with the two dooku sabers. what originality! george you're a genius! you've done it again. bravo! bravo!

Jargo
02-20-2003, 08:49 PM
Well whining anyway, that style in the piccie there reminds me of one my most hated disney movies - cinderella. i hate that angular look that 'hearkens back to a more innocent age' yadda yadda yadda. Just simply loathe scratchy angular art. Forget the animated shorts I hate that piccie. It's actually all irrelevent to me anyway because i can't get access to cartoon network. Where i am right now i can't get cable or satellite or any of these new fangled technologies. So i'd have to wait tor the terrestrial channels to buy it which would probably be in about five years time or I'd have to wait for the VCR or DVD or whichever new fangled medium they chose to release it on. Can you believe that I live in a street that's got two streets, one either end and both those streets have cable but my little inbetweeny street doesn't? That sucks, big time.

BTW, all the cast can do the voices, they don't have to be anywhere near anywhere to do it. just make it to a recording studio wherever and lay down the vocal loops, then they can simply tweak them in the studio and match the loops. Tont daniels will do it just for continuity because he's done every official Threepio so far. Hayden will do it because lets face it, aside from star wars there aren't exactly a ton of hayden movies hitting the megaplexes. Sam jackson will do it for the Kudos and Ewan will do it for the moolah. Frank oz might be a problem because he's actually a busy man making his own movies, but professional pride might lure him as well as the moolah. Aint no-one can do Fozzy bear Yoda like frank though.
Now that ian McDiarmid has hung up his theater administrator coat he might have the time to do a little voice work too. I mean as an actor voice work is a treat. You get to be stupid in a closed off room and get paid handsomely for the pleasure. I don't think there's an actor worth his salt that would turn down voice work these days.

Hellboy
02-20-2003, 09:18 PM
Overall it looks cool.
I love Samurai Jack and it's unique style but the only shorts I like are the ones I'm wearing. :crazed:

Turbowars
02-20-2003, 09:51 PM
What a joke! I totally thought we would get at least 30 minutes. Well I don't watch Cartoons, South Park being an exception, oh does the ThunderBirds count? LOL I just can't see how Hasbro can justify a new line of figures on a 2-3 minute toon. Oh well, I'll watch it, to see whats up. Who knows, it might be cool.

Beast
02-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
LOL I just can't see how Hasbro can justify a new line of figures on a 2-3 minute toon.
And a couple hardcover novels....

And a couple cross platform video games....

And a already popular Dark Horse comic book series....

No, I don't see how they can justify a new line on all that either.

*coughShadowsoftheEmpirecough* :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Adam
02-20-2003, 10:32 PM
... how is it off topic? It's on TV. Hence it goes in the TV forum. There's already a thread about it in there anyway.

plo koon 200
02-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Now, Dexter's Lab is all shorts and very good. For one I am very excited about this cartoon. They said these 20 shorts will run from 2003-2004. What about 2004-2005? Anyone? Hmm? Perhaps a thought, we should consider? Who knows what is else is being planned for this line. Especially since Lucasfilm said earlier the big push for the Clone Wars line will be in 2004 all the way up to the release of EIII,

QLD
02-20-2003, 10:50 PM
I have a bad feeling about this.....

3 minutes is too short in my opinion. I mean, by the time it gets interesting, it's over. I hope they are good, but I have my doubts.

Banthaholic
02-20-2003, 11:15 PM
Glad to see they're going throught without. Regardless of the length, it'll be new Star wars material keeping us all in tune leading up to the giant climax that is EP3.

These are the days I've been waiting for since early childhood, wondering the events made Darth Vader, and just what were the Clone Wars.

Watching Obi Wan in E4, I've always wondered about the clone wars, I look forward to see them unfold.

Greyfolk
02-20-2003, 11:17 PM
I think that the TV forum is for more off-topic posts, i.e. 'Mr. Perfect' so I posted to a more on-topic forum. The TV forum gave little response to the announcement. Whereas the Collection>Clone Wars gave the greatest response. Because it was in an on-topic forum. An experiment really--I am a newbie after all. I don't see how this little announcement caused so much trouble. Perhaps there will be a Clone Wars Short Forum now.

Greyfolk
02-20-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Banthaholic
These are the days I've been waiting for since early childhood, wondering the events made Darth Vader, and just what were the Clone Wars.

Watching Obi Wan in E4, I've always wondered about the clone wars, I look forward to see them unfold.

Yep. The only problem is there is a lot of weight on this issue because of that; "You fought in the Clone Wars!?"

I for one am extremely excited, I couldn't be happier with the choice of artist for this work, he is very original and creative. I suppose anime would have been my favorite choice, but this is very good--I like the Batman toons as well--who made those?

Anyhow, this is a great thing. As long as it holds out better than Holiday Special we will be golden.

jjreason
02-21-2003, 03:52 AM
Jargo: "there is..... a.. nother" who can do the voice of Yoda. John Lithgow did (extremely well) for the serialized radio drama. Oz out? Lithgow in. We wouldn't even notice the difference. No offence to Frank Oz, of course as he is the real master.

scruffziller
02-21-2003, 05:18 AM
My friend says he refuses to watch it because it is being done by the SAMJACK folks.:(

Pendo
02-21-2003, 05:23 AM
3 minutes isn't enough to get a good story into the little shorts, but maybe that's not what lucasfilm are looking for. Small 3 minute cartoons on Cartoon Network will probably get the children to go and see Episode III. That's probably why it's being made, not for the fans (even though the fans will probably still enjoy it too). The child response to the prequels has not been as strong as George had hoped for, so IMO this cartoon is a tool to bring more children to Star Wars.

PENDO!

Beast
02-21-2003, 06:11 AM
Pendo, I think it may work out perfectly. Anyone happen to remember Aeon Flux from MTV back when it was little shorts. That series of shorts was pretty popular, until that sucess spun it off into a full series and it bombed. Plus don't forget that the idea is similar to what the Wachowski's Brothers are doing with Animatrix. So I think it might work out pretty well. Especially if "Clone Wars" gets a second season in 2004, with another 20 episodes. Then we get about 2 total hours of Clone Wars. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
02-21-2003, 09:27 AM
I am really excited about this...! Can you imagine a DVD of the shorts being released JUST before EPISODE II comes to theatres in 2005? That would be completely cool. I'm in heaven! I'm just glad the Clone Wars toy line won't be as stylised as the animated counterpart.

Greyfolk
02-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Hopefully Bruce Timm will do the OT cartoons one day:

http://hjem.get2net.dk/twt/bruce/star_wars_gallery.html

Kidhuman
02-21-2003, 11:01 AM
I still think they should do a full length cartoon. How can you summarize a ten year war in the matter of 20 short cartoons? It just sounds absurd. If they were making more than it would be different, but only 20 means 40-60 minutes of time. Not long enough IMO

Greyfolk
02-21-2003, 11:05 AM
I still think they should do a full length cartoon. How can you summarize a ten year war in the matter of 20 short cartoons? It just sounds absurd. If they were making more than it would be different, but only 20 means 40-60 minutes of time. Not long enough IMO

Easy, each episode covers half-a-year :D
Seriously, I think it could be done well, if done right.

Kidhuman
02-21-2003, 11:15 AM
HOw can you cover 6 months in 3 minutes? Where are the battle scenes? Where is the plot set-up? A thirty second battle is cheesy

Greyfolk
02-21-2003, 11:18 AM
it was a joke really, but we might even have 4 min. episode instead of 3..:Pirate:

Greyfolk
02-21-2003, 11:20 AM
I really think Bruce Timm would have been the better choice though. I wonder if Lucas didn't choose him because he already does Superman, Batman, Justice league etc?

If the rumors are true, perhaps he will do an OT cartoon.
YIPPIE!!

El Chuxter
02-21-2003, 01:10 PM
I'm thinking it will be one story during the Clone Wars, told in serial fashion. Keep in mind the guy who made the movies this will be based on was a huge fan of the old Flash Gordon serials. And who knows--maybe it could lead to longer stuff in the future.

Pendo
02-21-2003, 01:22 PM
Another rant about the 3-minutes coming :p:

What if 1 or 2 minutes of those 3 minutes was taken up by the opening and end credits sequence? That would leave just 1 minute of story telling :mad:.

I'll shut up about the length now, I don't think there's much more I can say :D.

PENDO!

Greyfolk
02-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Longer stuff could be scary, and I doubt it. Perhaps after GL's death, when SW will turn into a soap opera series like ST has become.

*sigh*

Dr Zoltar
02-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Jar Jar,

The problem with Aeon Flux when it was 3 min shorts was that no one knew what the heck was going on! And the show it was on (Liquid Video I believe) didn't always play them in sequence.

mini-rock
02-21-2003, 01:49 PM
Amazing. We get an announcement that we are getting more Star Wars to watch, and Star Wars fanboys still find a reason to ***** and whine.:stupid:

plasticfetish
02-21-2003, 02:09 PM
I still think they should do a full length cartoon. How can you summarize a ten year war in the matter of 20 short cartoons?
I'm not sure the idea of this is to "summarize" the clone wars is it? Here's the idea as I see it ... you know how everyone starts crying when there aren't any new toys being put on the shelves? We hear "Star Wars is dead" and "blah, blah, blah" ... well, here's a way to give us some tight little well designed tastes of what's to come. Want more ... well, say nice things about what you get, buy all of the products that you see in the commercials on Cartoon Network (joke) and just wait.

Again ... Samurai Jack = great cartoon. This is an interesting approach to this concept. It's for sure got you all talking and at least you have more to look forward to than finding those new Curad boxes with Yoda on them.

Kidhuman
02-21-2003, 02:38 PM
Sure Samurai Jack is a good cartoon, but 1/2 hour long. Good art-work and all. Time is of the essence. Length in this case is necessary.

El Chuxter
02-21-2003, 03:11 PM
Okay, let me reiterate what I said before. I'm willing to bet this is one tale, approximately an hour long, broken into 2-3 minute chunks and serialized. I doubt it'll waste a lot of time with intro and credits; those might not even be counted. Recaps? Samurai Jack doesn't have them, so I doubt this will. And guess what? Once the season is over, everyone can sit down and watch the marathon that Cartoon Network is sure to run. You'll be able to see the entire season and still do something else that day, because one hour is about half the length of one of the actual movies! :)

If this is successful, we could possibly get new cartoons in the future. I've always thought a series about Corran Horn's adventures prior to the Rogue Squadron series would be excellent TV. And I'd give my left arm to see him in his CorSec uniform fighting a Bossk drawn in the Samurai Jack style. :happy:

Beast
02-21-2003, 03:14 PM
The problem is, your thinking of this as a ten year war. The Clone Wars raged for 3 years. From the end of E2 to the last battle at the start of E3. Note the fact that E2 is 22 years before ANH, and E3 will be 19 years before ANH. Remeber, we have some idea the timing of events, due to the age of Luke/Leia in ANH, which is 18.

Plus don't forget, that the series is a companion piece to the novels, video games, comics, and whatever else they throw at us. It's like Shadows of the Empire, just this time we are getting a series of Animated Shorts as well. Only complaints I have, is waiting until November for the shorts to begin. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
02-21-2003, 03:39 PM
But what about battle scenes? Are they gonna be short? How can you have a good lightsaber duel in 40 seconds? A good conversation is more than 3 minutes? And a new bounty hunter plus other characters......It will take some time to get them acquainted with them. It is not just another run of the mill cartoon, it has some precedence behind it. I know I am bickering but I will watch it, but I think they should make them longer. I mean if DragonballZ can drag out a fight for 3 episodes at least give us something good.

Greyfolk
02-21-2003, 03:41 PM
Maybe thats why they got rid of Darth Maul so soon. His fighting scenes would've taken up too many episodes.

Rogue II
02-21-2003, 03:41 PM
Only complaints I have, is waiting until November for the shorts to begin. :)

Well, it takes them time to draw all of the cartoons...

I believe there was a Simpsons episode where they said they try not to do cartoons live because it is hard on the animators.:crazed:

mini-rock
02-21-2003, 04:21 PM
Well, it takes them time to draw all of the cartoons...

I believe there was a Simpsons episode where they said they try not to do cartoons live because it is hard on the animators.:crazed:

Badum bum. LOL

Seriously though, I can't wait till November either. This is going to be a real treat. I told my wife the living room tv is getting locked on cartoon network until 2004 come November.:D

Pendo
02-21-2003, 04:43 PM
I too can't wait until November (yet I have a bad feeling that the UK Cartoon Network will have to wait a bit longer than in the US), but to be honest i think I'm looking more forward to it coming on DVD than Cartoon Network because I know I would probably miss a couple of the episodes. Anyway, I'm not going to think of the negative any more :) -

THIS CARTOON IS GOING TO ROCK :). I hope to see many new characters, and many familiar ones. And perhaps some cameos by Tarkin, Solo, Chewbacca, Calrissian, Antillies, Ackbar, Mothma, etc, etc, etc... :)

The first line of the whole series should be "Begun the clone war has." :)

PENDO!

Jedi Clint
02-21-2003, 05:54 PM
They will be on the internet around the time each one airs on TV, even if it isn't in an official capacity.

Beast
02-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Not to mention, you can pretty much guarentee a DVD release. Even if it's a store exclusive like the R2-D2: Beneath the Dome mockumentary. Lucas will probably release it, shortly before E3 opens to generate some hype. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthChuckMc
02-21-2003, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kidhuman
[B]But what about battle scenes? Are they gonna be short? How can you have a good lightsaber duel in 40 seconds?

Good lightsaber battles can be done in around 40 seconds. Testing your theory, I popped in AOTC, skipped to chapter 46 "Master Yoda", and turned on the countdown timer on my dvd player.

At 1:30 into the chapter, Dooku ignites his saber. I used that for my starting point. The duel commences. At 2:21, Dooku turns and runs from Yoda, ending their duel. In a mear :51 seconds, we get one of the greatest lightsaber duels in SW history. So, I think we have nothing to fear concerning lightsaber duels.
Of course, this is all my stinky opinion. :D

Teeska Mon Eebon
02-21-2003, 06:25 PM
This morning on the radio It said there were 27 23 muinet Clone Wars cartoons (as said before on November 7)

Rogue II
02-21-2003, 08:21 PM
I hope to see many new characters, and many familiar ones. And perhaps some cameos by Tarkin, Solo, Chewbacca, Calrissian, Antillies, Ackbar, Mothma, etc, etc, etc... :)

The first line of the whole series should be "Begun the clone war has." :)

PENDO!

Hold up there my friend...I can settle for Tarkin, Ackbar, Mothma, and maybe Antillies, but leave Solo, Lando, and Chewbacca out of this. Since the series is so short, I don't think they have the time to slip these guys in. Besides, Han and Lando will be too young (early teens). If I'm not mistaken, they are both younger than Boba Fett.

The 'Xir
02-21-2003, 09:08 PM
I don't know, I think the whole 3 minute thing is ***!! If they want to produce shorts, that's fine, but how about atleast 15 minutes!! Even in tv time, which would mean that there'd probably only be 7-8 minutes of cartoon time. I mean, I'd atleast like to sit down and be able to delve into good story telling, as oppossed to sneezing and watching the credits role!:(

The 'Xir
02-21-2003, 09:14 PM
Oh my God! you people are censoring the G-word now?!!! I'm really starting to hate this whole censoring crud! :p Ontop of it all I'm defending a word that I hate the group it represents anyway! Ok, well hate maybe a tad bit strong, but you know what I mean!:frus:

Kidhuman
02-21-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by DarthChuckMc
[QUOTE][i]
At 1:30 into the chapter, Dooku ignites his saber. I used that for my starting point. The duel commences. At 2:21, Dooku turns and runs from Yoda, ending their duel. In a mear :51 seconds, we get one of the greatest lightsaber duels in SW history. So, I think we have nothing to fear concerning lightsaber duels.

That is 1/2 -1/3 the cartoon. The rest will be them running into the room or place and them leaving it. SAy goodbye to a wasted episode.

mini-rock
02-21-2003, 11:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kidhuman
[B]But what about battle scenes? Are they gonna be short? How can you have a good lightsaber duel in 40 seconds?

Good lightsaber battles can be done in around 40 seconds. Testing your theory, I popped in AOTC, skipped to chapter 46 "Master Yoda", and turned on the countdown timer on my dvd player.

I agree. Plenty of time for them to GET IT ON!! I can't wait to see the female Sith in a duel. :D

Greyfolk
02-22-2003, 11:07 AM
Relooking at the image... Are they going to introduce another Sith Warrior? Whatever happened to "always two there are"?

mini-rock
02-22-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Greyfolk
Relooking at the image... Are they going to introduce another Sith Warrior? Whatever happened to "always two there are"?

She may not be a Sith at all. Just a warrior who uses the Dark Side to draw her power without taking the "Sith" name. I think it will be cool though finally seeing a female in a duel. I was hoping they would have shown it on the big screen (Ep2 or Ep3), but this will do too.:D

Greyfolk
02-22-2003, 12:04 PM
She's got Dooku style sabers, perhaps he's been training her secretly.:eek:

mini-rock
02-22-2003, 12:13 PM
I could be wrong here, but I believe she was once his apprentice when he was still a Jedi. Hopefully someone with more knowledge in the EU area will chime in.:)

Pendo
02-22-2003, 12:54 PM
Hold up there my friend...I can settle for Tarkin, Ackbar, Mothma, and maybe Antillies, but leave Solo, Lando, and Chewbacca out of this. Since the series is so short, I don't think they have the time to slip these guys in. Besides, Han and Lando will be too young (early teens). If I'm not mistaken, they are both younger than Boba Fett.

I can see what you mean, no way on God's Earth do I want to see Solo, Chewie and Lando in the movies, but knowing George I have a bad feeling that he will try and fit them in. If he has to do it I would rather him squeeze them into the cartoon than the actual movie.

Even if it's a store exclusive like the R2-D2: Beneath the Dome mockumentary.

I just hope it's an exclusive to the UK, so the fans in America will have to go through all the trouble to purchase it :p.

PENDO!

Rogue II
02-22-2003, 02:02 PM
I can see what you mean, no way on God's Earth do I want to see Solo, Chewie and Lando in the movies, but knowing George I have a bad feeling that he will try and fit them in. If he has to do it I would rather him squeeze them into the cartoon than the actual movie.

Yes, putting them into the cartoon would be better than the film. Maybe they will have an episode where Boba Fett, Han, and Dengar are racing swoops as teenagers. Han doesn't meet Chewbacca or Lando until after Episode III. A.C. Cripsin's Han Solo Trilogy is a very good series of books. I highly reccomend them.

Greyfolk
02-22-2003, 02:08 PM
I agree, AC Crispins books are among my very favorite SW books. I don't remember reading anything about Han, Dengar and Boba racing swoops together though.

Rogue II
02-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Oops, I got the books mixed up.

In the Tales of the Bounty Hunters book, Dengar was nearly killed in a swoop race vs. Han Solo. . All the EU stories about Boba Fett were basically trashed when ATOC came out, so I just threw him in there for the heck of it.

Greyfolk
02-22-2003, 03:29 PM
I could never get through Tales of the Bounty Hunters. They pretty much suck. *shrug*

DarthChuckMc
02-23-2003, 07:09 PM
Here's my take on how the Clone Wars animated Yoda might look with some color. :D

LTBasker
02-23-2003, 07:43 PM
Wooh, he's got some weird dandruff.

I hope we gets some more pics soon.

RooJay
02-24-2003, 01:19 PM
This is GREAT news! Here's a few things, however, that it seems like most people are not noticing:

- First off, she's not a Kaminoan Sith Witch. The style of animation that she has been drawn in gives her vaguely Kaminoan qualities, though I can almost certainly assure you that she is not Kaminoan, but rather that she is intended to be much more humanoid. In fact, this character has already existed to an extent, and was actually designed by Lucas' own design people for use in Attack of the Clones. If any of you have seen the book Art of Episode 2, you would note that she was intended to be THE Sith apprentice in Episode 2 well before Dooku was conceived (therefore precluding her form being a "rip-off" of Dooku). A quick peek at the Art of book, and you can see quite clearly what was intended and how it relates to this character in the cartoon.

- Complain all you'd like about this series being comprised of 2-3 min. shorts, but most of you seem to be overlooking what this actually could mean - this could easily be paving the way for something on a much grander scale, and at the very least it opens up that possibility. Might I remind everyone that Hasbro recently extended it's use of the Star Wars license until 2018 - WELL after we are told the films will have ended?!

- I'm certain, if this project proves successful enough, that we WILL see a second season - possibly (hopefully) a season of longer episodes!

Greyfolk
02-24-2003, 01:43 PM
I hope it will end as soon as the story is told. I don't want it to be drawn out just because it brings in some cash. Are you suggesting Post-OT works?

RooJay
02-24-2003, 01:52 PM
I'm suggesting all of it.
I would also hate for it to be drawn out just for the sake of money. I would, though, like for it to be drawn out for the sake of a longer story (or perhaps more fleshed out from what we are initially getting) and longer episodes!

Greyfolk
02-24-2003, 01:55 PM
That I can agree with. I'd still like to see Bruce Timm do the OT.

RooJay
02-24-2003, 04:08 PM
I forgot to add my thoughts on the how's and why's of having another Sith show up on the cartoon: As I've mentioned before, just because there have only been two Sith for the past however many thousands of years as Yoda remembers, doesn't mean that Darth Sidious hasn't decided that now is the time for the Sith order to be reborn and gone and trained himself more than one apprentice. I'm not trying to imply that this is necessarily the truth for certain - just a possibility. Remember, there were actually many Sith at one point before they began to fight it out with each other, leading to their near extinction and the eventual restructuring of the order under Darth Bane. Just because Darth Bane decided that there would only be two doesn't mean that Sidious can't have decided that there can be more.

erlo9
02-27-2003, 03:58 AM
Right on! CGI is the best way to go. What a way to one-up the Roughnecks Starship Troopers, Beast Wars, and Max Steel. I'm sure the people at ILM could do a better job at animating. I do wish they would do 30 minute episodes like Starship Troopers, which was never completed, a big dissapointment for us fans. I think that CGI cartoons are the cutting edge of animation. What better way to sharpen their skills and maybe get some good ideas for Episode 3. It would also keep the adults as well as the kids more interested in the Star Wars Saga. Think about it: We could at least expect better figures and vehicles associated with a GGI cartoon, than say with other forms of animation. The more realistic the cartoon, the more realistic the spin-offs, the more broad base of collectors buying them. I don't know if I would buy animated series figures and such if they looked too animated like Batman Beyond. I think that it just makes good sense, and it would tie in better with Episode 3. Maybe that's why the cartoons will be short, because it's taking alot of time to do the animation right? I would hope so.

mini-rock
03-03-2003, 05:07 PM
There's a CLONE WARS Cartoon Interview with Michele Gagne over at Yakface for anyone who is interested.:D

Greyfolk
03-07-2003, 06:03 PM
Why are the Clone Wars not important enough for film?
They were important enough to be mentioned in the OT, and Luke thought that they were important. So why have they been limited to the EU? Which is not considered canon.

Beast
03-07-2003, 06:08 PM
They rage for 3 years, over countless planets and in the cold of space. There is no way for them to show the scope and every major battle on screen in just two hours. It would also be insanely expensive, even more so then the prequel movies themselves. So Lucas presented the first battle and the last in E2 and E3. He's leaving it to the novels, comics, animated shorts, and video games to present the rest of the story. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Greyfolk
03-07-2003, 06:34 PM
So its okay for us to disavowal the information disclosed to us in the EU Clone Wars? Kinda like; you decide whether or nor Boba Fett is dead.

In other words, any new characters introduced and deleted between II and III can be completely ignored, unless of course their role was large enough to effect III... right?

I see your point though, you could never fit all the Wars in one film.

The 'Xir
05-12-2003, 10:20 PM
Has this thing come out yet?

It was all the talk about a month, month and a half ago, and now I haven't heard didley about it! What's going on, has it started?

DarthChuckMc
05-12-2003, 10:21 PM
November 8th I believe during 8pm Samuari Jack

Pendo
05-13-2003, 04:11 AM
Don't suppose anyone knows when it'll be shown in the UK?

PENDO!

The 'Xir
05-13-2003, 02:06 PM
November 8th I believe during 8pm Samuari Jack

ThanX DC!!!

darthvyn
02-27-2004, 08:34 PM
i finally saw this whole thing, due to finding an .mpg of the entire season... man, this was awesome! i was getting excited about the figures before i even SAW it, but now i'm really psyched for them...

RooJay
03-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Hey...hey, wouldn't it be cool if they expanded all of the episodes a bit and linked them all together to form one long continuous story when this thing hits DVD? That would totally rock!

Grif
03-02-2004, 09:29 PM
I saw a commercial for season 2. Anyone know the date?

Hellboy
03-02-2004, 09:35 PM
March 26th 9:30 pm e/p :)

Reefer Shark
03-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Hey...hey, wouldn't it be cool if they expanded all of the episodes a bit and linked them all together to form one long continuous story when this thing hits DVD? That would totally rock!
That would rock! Im sure it wouldn't be too dificullt to do either.

bobafrett
03-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Yes, I've seen two of these commercials, and it's going to rock!

Kidhuman
03-03-2004, 11:45 AM
March 26th 9:30 pm e/p :)

Crap, Iliked the 8pm time slot. Hope they move it back

Hellboy
03-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Crap, Iliked the 8pm time slot. Hope they move it back

Well considering how Cartoon Network loves to shuffle their programing around as much as possible with little to no notification you might get your wish KH. :crazed:

Kidhuman
03-17-2004, 10:32 AM
I saw the schedule for the cartoons. The first night it is on at 930 because they are airing 1-5 at 8 and 6-10 at 9. After that they go back til 8pm. On 4/10 they will be showing all the episodes starting at 9pm.

Friday, March 26, at 8:00pm: Chapters 1-5
Friday, March 26, at 9:00pm: Chapters 6-10
Friday, March 26, at 9:30pm: Chapter 11

Monday, March 29, at 8:00pm: Chapter 12

Tuesday, March 30, at 8:00pm: Chapter 13

Wednesday, March 31, at 8:00pm: Chapter 14

Thursday, April 1, at 8:00pm: Chapter 15

Friday. April 2, at 8 8:00pm: Chapter 16

Monday, April 5, at 8:00pm: Chapter 17

Tuesday, April 6, at 8:00pm: Chapter 18

Wednesday, April 7, at 8:00pm: Chapter 19

Thursday, April 8, at 8:00pm: Chapter 20

Friday, April 9, at 8:00pm: Chapters 11-15
Friday, April 9, at 9:00pm: Chapters 16-20

Saturday, April 10 at 9:00pm: Chapters 1-5
Saturday, April 10 at 10:00pm: Chapters 6-10
Saturday, April 10 at 11:00pm: Chapters 11-15
Saturday, April 10 at 12:00am: Chapters 16-20

jjreason
03-17-2004, 01:26 PM
And for Canadian viewers, the new chapters will be airing on Teletoon at 5pm Eastern time on the following dates (note OUR start date!!!! :D :D :D )

Chapter 11 - March 20
Chapter 12 - March 27
Chapter 13 - April 3
Chapter 14 - April 10
Chapter 15 - April 17
Chapter 16 - April 24

The rest are still To Be Announced according to the website. If you're better off waiting until the kids are in bed, check them out in the 9:30pm timeslots as follows:

Chapters 11 and 12 (back to back) - March 22
Chapters 12 and 13 (b2b) - March 28
Chapters 13 and 14 (b2b) - March 29
Chapters 14 and 15 (b2b) - April 4
Chapters 15 and 16 (b2b) - April 5
Chapters 16 and 17 (b2b) - April 11

Kidhuman
03-17-2004, 02:38 PM
(note OUR start date!!!! :D :D :D )

By the time you get up to episode 16 we have seen em all. Start first finish last. :D:D:D :beard:

jjreason
03-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Baaahhhh, there's always a catch. At least we don't have to wait for weeks on end to see them like Chapters 1-10. I've already got my tape with 1-10 all set and ready to record the new ones. :cool:

Pendo
03-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Does anybody know when Series 2 is starting over here in the UK? :)

PENDO!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
03-26-2004, 07:52 PM
If you're watching it tonight, Steve Sansweet's gonna give a tour of his SW collection.

Hellboy
03-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Considering they're airing episodes 1-5, 6-10, and then 11 do you know at what point this "tour" is supposed to appear?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
03-26-2004, 08:16 PM
It's being shown during Clone Wars' run. Steve showed off his food collection just before Chapter 1, as well as other stuff right before taking commercial breaks.

plo koon 200
03-26-2004, 09:42 PM
Saw episode 11. It was okay, but not great. The best parts was when Anakin had Asajj's ship in lock and said "I have you now." Another great part was the dialogue between Anakin and Obi-Wan right before Anakin went into Hyperspace. Also Obi-Wan saying "I have a bad feeling about this" was cool. The tour of Rancho Obi-Wan was okay, kind of cool but the host sucked. They should make a special Star Wars DVD all about touring Steve Sansweet's Ranch.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
03-26-2004, 09:45 PM
"I have it under control!" Oh man, I was cracking up when he said that! :p It's great to see Anakin's disobedience getting more apparent.

kool-aid killer
03-26-2004, 09:54 PM
I liked this episode. Sansweets got some nice stuff in his pad, but i agree that the kid was annoying. Today was the first time i was able to see any of the Clone Wars toons on the tube. Im going to sleep very comfortable tonight.

Kidhuman
03-26-2004, 10:32 PM
Crap I missed it. Is it re airing tonight?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
03-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Crap I missed it. Is it re airing tonight?

I don't know about tonight, but if it's like Chapter 1 last season, chances are they'll play Chapter 11 numerous times over the weekend.

Tycho
03-27-2004, 02:07 AM
Dang it was too short!

For those who missed it, the synopsis hardly spoils anything:

Anakin wouldn't relent pursuing Ventress' fighter. He recognized a Force-user was flying it, even though he couldn't know the identity of the pilot.

Lines were reminiscient of "A New Hope" such as "The Force is strong with this one" and "I have you now!"

Obi-Wan witnessed the starfighter battle venture down into the city-canyons of Muunlist and ordered Anakin to stay with his squadron, but Anakin wouldn't obey and relentlessly pursued "the Force-sensitive's" ship.

They left into hyperspace, with Obi-Wan ordering a Clone Commander to take some troops and follow them, effectively trying to provide Anakin with some last-minute backup, since Obi-Wan correctly guessed the attack was bait to lure Anakin into a trap.

I guess we have to wait until next week (which looks like it's more about Mace) or even longer, to find out what's going to happen to Anakin next.

The show's coming along great! It really feels like Star Wars and while I love Obi-Wan's story in the first arc, I think Anakin's story could be just as good in the second arc.

I have no idea how they are going to bring Padme and the droids into this, but it's going to be an exciting second season.

Wonder if Anakin will be made a full Jedi Knight in this series to prepare him for Episode 3?

Kidhuman
03-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Cartoon Network has it up on their site as well for those who missed it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-27-2004, 12:29 PM
It was pretty cool, though the dialogue was the best part. I liked being able to see them all again, as well as Rancho Obi-Wan (even though I wanted to hit that damn Tommy a few times).

Can't wait for some Mace Windu action :cool:

Kidhuman
03-27-2004, 12:42 PM
OK, since when do Jedi Starfighters not need a Hyperspace ring?

sith_killer_99
03-27-2004, 12:52 PM
Um, I thought Anakin flew a specially modified fighter with hyperspace capabilities.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-27-2004, 12:52 PM
Just watched this episode and it was pretty awesome! I do like how Anakin is getting more and more arrogant and disobedient; damned kid!!! The dialogue was very reminiscent of the OT. This second season is gonna be sweet!! I can't wait to see some of the lightsaber duels! cheers! :D

Darth Mina
03-27-2004, 06:38 PM
I love the show I just wish it was longer.

stillakid
03-27-2004, 08:09 PM
The best part was the Clone captain (or whatever rank he was) and his consistent "yes-man" attitude. A nod to Lucas's minions perhaps?

The only part that bothered me was Anakin's ability to know where Ventress's ship was headed in hyperspace. Since when can they do that? If it was possible, then what was the point of the homing beacon on the Falcon during ANH?

Kidhuman
03-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Ican see how Anakin and his R4 unit got it since he was tailing her. Icant see how the ARC's got it though.

Card Dreamer
03-28-2004, 01:57 AM
remember that these are only 5 minute little spots and being as such you only get the "nitty gritty". Remember, that there was still a space battle going on when Anakin and Ventress left. And since Anakin said that they had all but won that battle, you could assume one of the Republic capitals had sensor logs on Anakin and the fighter and transmitted that info to the ARC troopers in Kenobi's command.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-29-2004, 10:59 AM
This was another great episode. Anakin's dialogue was classic and the yes sir cloney as stillakid stated was straight outta Ricky Dick's personality profile. :) Looking forward to tonight (though it seems that they switch focus to Mace in chap 12).

Lord Malakite
03-29-2004, 02:26 PM
A bit late on my reply. :D Another good episode. Anakin is getting more arrogant as the war continues on.My best guess as to the Clone Troopers getting the coordinance is that they took a quick download of the R4 unit/ship's CPU before entering hyperspace. Like wireless internet. ;)

As for using a homing beacon on the Falcon stilla, I think the idea was to try to catch the Rebels off guard. If the Empire would have tried the same method as used on Clone Wars, the Falcon could have easily diverted them somewhere else before heading to Yavin and/or warned the Rebels. By using a homing beacon the Falcon's crew were less likely to suspect a thing, and if they did (which they did), its too late to do anything about it. Its not like they could stop and tear the ship apart to find the beacon with the entire Imperial fleet chasing them and the only real hope for the Rebellion's future on board.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-29-2004, 08:03 PM
AWESOME Episode!!! FINALLY, some Mace Windu action!!! Somewhere, Pendo is giddy like a schoolgirl!!! :crazed: That ground battle was amazingly awesome and the ending was pretty awesome too with that huge droid ship raising havoc!!! BADARSE!! I cannot wait for tomorrow!!!! :D

Kidhuman
03-29-2004, 08:05 PM
Great episode. Mace in deep poodoo.

Lord Malakite
03-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Another great episode. Didn't expect to see that kid watching the battle. Got to love how that new ship can crush the clones like grapes. :D

Battle Droid
03-29-2004, 08:12 PM
AWESOME Episode, loved the Seismic Tank, it's HUGE!

Silent Chazz
03-29-2004, 08:30 PM
All I can say is..... OMG. These episodes keep getting better and better. However, when are we gonna see some Padme action?????!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?