PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
11-13-2002, 10:06 PM
Well I just came home from the DC premere of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. AMAZING! SUSPENCEFUL! GREAT!:D :D :D :D

*minor spoilers*
-Dobbie the house elf reminded me of a masochistic Jar Jar Binks.
-The basalisk looked like a serpentine Godzilla.

CGI- AWESOME! I also like the way they showed more arial views. I found nothing bad about the film. Richard Harris played his role well! More than well- SUPERB!

Exhaust Port
11-13-2002, 10:26 PM
I'm really looking forward to this movie, almost as much as TTT.

Pendo
11-14-2002, 11:22 AM
I'm going to see it tomorrow, can't wait ;):D!!!

PENDO!

El Chuxter
11-14-2002, 12:10 PM
I'm looking forward to this one as well. My copy of the soundtrack shipped yesterday, so I should get it soon. (My fingers are crossed that I get the Harry cover.)

I just finished reading HP&TGoF. . . Man, I wish Book 5 was coming out soon. That book's got an ESB-class cliffhanger ending!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-16-2002, 10:49 AM
I'll be seeing it tomorrow. Woo hoo!

El Chuxter, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix has recently been finished by J.K. Rowling. Now she needs to edit and get it published, ao it will be out sometime in the spring. :)

I heard that this time around, they had nine months to finish the CG effects, unlike Sorcerer's Stone's three months. No wonder Firenze and Voldemort looked so damn fake. :D

Jayspawn
11-17-2002, 12:06 AM
I saw it last night, opening night. I thought it was pretty good. It was interesting to see Harry, Ron and Hermione a little older. But I thought they all did a fantastic job.

Richard Harris did a fantastic job as Dumbledore. Better than the first. And also Alan Rickman whos one of my favorite actors, great job as Professor Snape. That snake at the end looked just like Godzilla -from the Matthew Brodrick film version. Not much imagination to it.

I want to get the CD but I want the Dumbledore cover. Wizards rule!

JEDIpartner
11-17-2002, 09:38 AM
Yep! It was good, but I'm not that excited about it. I'm glad I saw it... it was good entertainment.

...I liked it better than the first one- and I liked that one quite a bit as well.

wedgeA
11-18-2002, 03:11 AM
I thought that the first one was better. I was disappointed that Harry was too passive in the first hour. It seemed that the ending of the first film pointed to Harry becoming more self confident.

Also, a lot of the film seemed to rehash the first film's gimmicks (the dark forest, invisibility cloak, et al), but without the sense of wonder and discovery. Finally, I thought the revealing of the villain was lackluster.

I heard that the actors may be replaced as they get older, but I think they fit the roles nicely. I have not read any of the books but I heard that they age in the books, so I don't see why they are concerned with the actors aging in real life.

scruffziller
11-18-2002, 07:12 AM
If you haven't gone to see it yet make sure to stay after the credits, there is an added bonus thereafter.

I thought that Richard Harris was looking really sickly, (spoiler)

but when he switched to younger Dumbledore he wasn't acting that way at all. He was just in charachter for really old Dumbledore. Although he acted more sickly in this one than in the last one.

El Chuxter
11-18-2002, 04:44 PM
Great film! I like it better than the first!

A lot of book stuff was cut out, presumably for time. However, this is still a 2:40 movie. I wonder how long Goblet of Fire will be, seeing as that book's at least twice as long as the other three (so far).

Dobby was right on, and the entire cast proved again how wonderfully cast they were. I hope too many of the kids don't grow up too fast; it's hard to imagine anyone else playing Harry, Hermione, Ron, or Draco. Branagh was perfect as Lockhart (though I'd liked to have seen more of his incompetence, as in the novel). Nice to see that Kevin's finally redeemed himself for that lousy Confederate cyborg role in Wild Wild West.

The soundtrack is even better than the first! Fawkes' theme is one of the best Williams has done in years, and the other new themes are nearly as good. This is a must-buy for any fan of movie scores.

Five stars, no question! If not for AOTC (and possibly LOTR:TTT), this would be the best film of 2002, bar none.

Beast
11-18-2002, 04:48 PM
El Chuxter, they already mentioned how they planned to do "Goblet of Fire" when it came about. It would be a two-parter. Part one would open for Thanksgiving, and then part two would open for Christmas. But I fear that they also said that the kids would likely have to be replaced. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Deoxyribonucleic
11-18-2002, 05:15 PM
Maybe I'm scrooge-like, but I have no desire to go see it. The first one was way too long for me and myself and like 20 other people before me actually got up and left and never came back.

I really, really enjoy the books though. I dunno, kinda loopy I guess :crazed:

I'm glad everyone else liked it though :)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
11-18-2002, 05:32 PM
I really liked Dumbledore's speech about the Phoenix.

Dar' Argol
11-18-2002, 10:18 PM
My wife and I saw this on Friday night and we both loved it. It was nice to see the kids a bit older. Lockhart was great, although I thought in the book his hair was longer, Lucious Malfoy was PERFECT! Draco is almost a spittin inmage of him. And I laughed my butt of at poor Ron's Owl:D :D :DI really hope they keep the same kids, at least the main 3, for all the movies. It would be soo hard to try to watch Harry Potter with any of them changed. You get to see them grow up, the same way as in the books.

Some things were cut, but I wish some of the suspision(sp) of Harry stayed. And some of the stuff may have been rehashed, but that how it was done in the book too. Besides, its Hogwarts, there are just so many areas in that school to go to right now. We'll see more as the movies come. Like the magic town Hogsmede, Under the Whomping Willow, and more areas of Hogwarts. I can't wait for the Prisoner of Azkaban!!!:D :D :D

Richard Harris seems to be stuggling a bit though in this one and he will be sadly missed as the headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witch-Craft and Wizardry:(.

El Chuxter
11-19-2002, 12:08 PM
I'm already wondering about who will play Sirius Black. And his theme should be excellent--starting off dark, but slowly becoming more benevolent and fatherly as the film progresses. Sort of Anakin's/Vader's theme in reverse.

If they replace one or even two kids per movie, it wouldn't hurt too much. But replacing them all at once would be a death sentence. And it's possible that at least one kid would be able to appear in all the movies.

Eternal Padawan
11-21-2002, 08:23 AM
Daniel Radcliffe has stated he wouldn't mind doing more than three movies. And Chris Columbus said after a break from the third one, he might come back and do the fourth (Both parts. ;) ) So I don't understand why WB would want to drop the kids (or any of the cast for that matter) for brand new actors.

As for Sirius, I choose Christian Bale. or perhaps Clive Owen. Maybe even Jason Statham. Or in a very cool long shot, Ewan McGregor. :D

But for Lupus, I definitely see a pale, gaunt Jude Law in that role.

Then you could have Jude and Ewan in a movie together and they could ham it up. :)

Eternal Padawan
11-21-2002, 08:28 AM
By the way, Moaning Myrtle (or rather, the actress who played her, Shirley Henderson) was born in 1966. Making her the oldest student at Hogwarts at a whopping 36 years of age.

Now the whole "You can share my toilet" line is even creepier (if that's possible.)

El Chuxter
11-21-2002, 12:05 PM
Man, if I had to go through 36 years with that voice, I'd be crying in a toilet too. :Pirate:

JediCole
11-29-2002, 10:13 AM
Mrs. JediCole and I had not seen the first Harry Potter film, yet we felt that we needed to get caught up for the second one. We went last Friday and rented the DVD of the first and discovered how wonderful it was! We both love Alan Rickman and I have long been a great fan of Robbie Coletrain, both of whom turned out great performances in both films! Kenneth Branaugh was delightful as Lockhart and of course the late Richard Harris could not have been better! He will be sorely missed in future films.

Though I have yet to read any Harry Potter books, I certainly would love to do so in the near future. I am very much looking forward to the next outing. I applaud the author's (reported) demand that the films have an all-British cast. I believe that this prevented the studio and/or director from casting bankable American child actors in the primary roles. And indeed it keeps a lot of bankable (to U.S. audiences) actors out of the picture. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against our domestic "A-List" actors, it is just that it was high time that someone proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that a movie of this kind, based on a hot property like this, can stand on its own merit and not need an audience draw like Adam Sandler to bring in mega-bucks box office receipts!

As for the second film, I was equally delighted and found that the experience was much more enjoyable on the big screen. Having not read the books I was facinated by many of the concepts within. I was also pleased to see the return of John Cleese as Nearly-Headless Harry. The basilsk did bear a strong resemblence to the American Godzilla, though I would not say that it was unoriginal nor a direct copy. Personally I liked the concept of something decidedly serpentine having the skin texture of an alligator rather than that of a snake. And the phoenix was the most incredible creature I've ever seen on film in a long time. I know that it was almost certailny covered thusly in the book, but in a short space of time they conveyed all that this creature was about and did so in a remarkable fashion. When do we get another Harry Potter film?!

Capitan_Moroni
11-29-2002, 12:57 PM
They-cut-out-the-deathday-party!!!-NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Eternal Padawan
11-29-2002, 08:38 PM
They cut out a lot of it.

JediCole, the next one is tentatively scheduled to hit in summer of 2004.

GENERAL VEERS BECOMES GIANT TALKING SPIDER!!
Julian Glover did the voice of Aragog. Things I notice while cleaning theatres and watching credits over and over and over...

neonblade
12-04-2002, 01:39 PM
I loved the harry potter movie.
The basilisk did lok like a godzilla- I can't wait to see the 3rd one