PDA

View Full Version : Geonosian subtitles missing?

IG65
11-14-2002, 11:19 AM
Is it just me (or my DVD player), but I would swear the theatrical release had subtitles when the Geonosians were speaking, and there were none on my widescreen version of the movie. When I enabled subtitles they appeared for all dialog. Did anyone else have this happen, or is it just my player?:crazed:

LTBasker
11-14-2002, 02:07 PM
Nope, there weren't subtitles for the Geo warriors from what I remember. Just for Poggle and the other ambassadors along with some of the aliens of the Senate. I think they were deemed just not needed since they weren't really important and just kept'em at the few clicking sounds from Geo warriors.

IG65
11-14-2002, 05:38 PM
LTB, I think you're right about the Geo warriors, but I don't evn have subtitles for Poggle and the other ambassadors. :(

Beast
11-14-2002, 05:43 PM
Sounds like your player isn't able to display the player generated subtitles. So I assume you arn't getting the subtitles for Palpatine's Rodian Aid also. How old is your player? This is a commen problem with older and cheaper DVD players. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Imperial Monarche
11-14-2002, 06:39 PM
you can put the subtitles in the movie (and not have the subtitles for everyone speakin and just the alien languages) by changin the subtitles. click the subtitle button (or what ever button u press to change the subtitles to like spanish subtitles or another language) and there should be two english ones, the standard english settin has no alien subtitles but the second one does. so try that

IG65
11-15-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
How old is your player?

It is actually fairly new, (about 8 months), but is is a pretty cheap one. It is an RCA 5240P. I got it specifically because it plays variable bitrate SVCDs really well, and that is what I use when ripping TV shows off DVD. I'll have to try it in another player. I had originally assumed that the alien speech subtitles would be composited in the film (at least for the US release) but it looks like you guys are right in that it uses the player's subtitling feature. I'll also try the 'second english' subtitle version. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-17-2002, 01:25 PM
Last night while watching it, I wanted to see if Obi-Wan said "That was good" or "That was short" during the speeder chase, and I wonked up my subtitles so Shu Mai was translated into French! :crazed: Oh well, next time I won't fiddle around with the subtitles, I guess . . .
So, is it "Good" or "Short"??? And does WA-7 say "Jawa" or "Java" or what???