PDA

View Full Version : DANG South Park was HILARIOUS last night!!!!!!

Pages : 1 [2]

El Chuxter
10-20-2008, 03:51 PM
It's the contract with Comedy Central. They can have them on the website the week they premiere (until the new one is released), but they're then required to take them down until one month after the original release date.

And, no, I'm not sure what sort of sense that makes.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-16-2008, 03:18 PM
"Elementary School Music" was really damned funny and it made up for about 3 weeks of medicore episodes. Cartman making fun of Scott Malkinson was hysterical.

The Obama episode I thought was pretty weak. I thought the Ocean's 11 thing was good and kudos to them for making Obama's speech so fast, but it wasn't funny. The "Startling" episodes were iffy, but for some reason, I thought the hamsters in different costumes was funny and I chuckled every time Randy said, "i am so startled!" :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-16-2008, 03:38 PM
On the president episode, I thought the reactions were the funniest part. The pan-flute band arc was kind of meh but still pretty funny. The latest one was more like the episodes I like the best, where they don't get into zany adventures or government conspiracies like they seemed to every episode last season.

JediTricks
11-21-2008, 03:42 AM
The Startling petered out fast. The president one was weak, it felt entirely toothless. The Elementary School Musical one was funny for the first half and then ran completely out of gas. And last night's season finale was kinda cute, worked on premise and Butters made a funny vampire despite being a ripoff of earlier Butters material, but bottom line was a flat episode.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-21-2009, 10:52 AM
I thought this weeks episode, THE COON, was pretty freakin' funny. I loved how they lampooned TDK, Watchmen and The Spirit. It was mostly TDK with the music and some of the plot, but it all pretty funny to me. I also liked seeing the return of Professor Chaos and when Butters tripped on his cape, I couldn't stop laughing.

Great episode! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
03-22-2009, 10:46 PM
I found this to be a rather crappy episode, although it was funny that the reveal of Mysterion revealed nothing to us but everything to them. Anything Cartman-centric sucks IMO though. I was also really surprised they stayed so far away from the racist aspect of Cartman's name.

Prof Chaos and Gen Disarray was pretty awesome, but ultimately the question is where Prof Chaos will take this nonsense, and it's never far enough for my tastes. :p

El Chuxter
03-23-2009, 02:06 PM
It had some moments, but was one of the "it's just sorta there" episodes for me. Needless to say, however, Professor Chaos was the best part. I don't think I'd mind if the show just changed its name to "The Misadventures of Professor Chaos."

El Chuxter
11-06-2009, 04:58 PM
No comments yet on the new season (or half-season)? So far, it's been pretty good.

Dead Celebrities and Butter's Bottom B**** were pretty decent; nothing spectacular, but not as bad as weaker episodes have been in the past. WTF and this week's The F-Word were absolutely hysterical. I just about ruptured something laughing at the kids calling the bikers "f**s" and getting confused when people thought they were gay-bashing, since they didn't associate the word with that. (Bike-Curious was a pretty funny term, too.) Haven't seen the whale episode yet, but this looks like it's shaping up to be the most consistent season in years.

El Chuxter
04-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Thoughts on the 200th episode, if anyone cares?

There were some good homages to the past. It's nice to see the possible return of Mr Hat (finally!), and Jennifer Lopez didn't hurt, though the bit wasn't as funny this time around. Some of the celebrities involved in the lawsuit made no sense; I guess Mr Slave pooped out Paris Hilton eventually, or something, and why would Fred Savage or Kathie Lee Gifford hate the town? Didn't much care for Mecha-Streisand's new look (or sound), especially after the "holy crap!" aspect of seeing her in the trailer. And isn't Jesus dead in the South Park universe, having given his life to save Santa Claus from the Iraqis? (That seems like the most blasphemous sentence in human history.)

I wonder where this is going for the next episode.... Hopefully, given the insane number of references and throwbacks, Kenny will die, Professor Chaos will make an appearance, and Cartman will exercise his "authoritah." I'm not sure I'm especially cool with the idea of Mrs Cartman not being his father, though (unless the true father is Mr Hat, or maybe Kevin).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-15-2010, 04:57 PM
It wasn't the most hilarious thing they've done, but it was a fun trip through the show's past. I really hope for a second part with more payoff, though.

Which episode was it where Cartman's mom turned out to also be his dad? I don't think I've seen that one.

El Chuxter
04-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Really?

You're not joking, are you? Well, I suppose you're actually young enough that you would've been too young to have seen it when it aired, unless your parents were really, really sick people. I'm a little surprised you've not seen it since, though.

It was the cliffhanger that spanned the end of Season 1 and the beginning of Season 2. Season 1 ended with "Cartman's Mom Is a Dirty Slut," with his father definitely being in the room with him (meaning it was Dr Mephesto, Kevin, Mr Garrison, Mr Hat, Chef, Barbrady, Kyle's Dad, Ned, Jimbo, Chief Running Water, Mrs Cartman, or the 1989 Denver Broncos). When the second part was supposed to air (on April 1), they aired a pretty craptacular Terrance and Phillip special instead ("Not Without My Anus"). The next episode was the proper second part ("Cartman's Mom Is Still a Dirty Slut"), where it is eventually revealed that Cartman's mom is a hermaphrodite and can't get pregnant, so she is his dad. Cartman tells everyone to forget it before they investigate who his real mom is.

If they go back on this, they're going to have to retcon a lot of things Mrs Cartman has said about her... piping.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Huh. You're right, I didn't see it when it first aired. I've seen "Cartman's Mom Is a Dirty Slut" and the Terrance and Phillip episode either on Comedy Central or in syndication since their original airing, but I don't think I've ever seen the follow-up. I thought they dropped the issue with the Terrance and Phillip episode, so I didn't know they actually followed up on it. I'll have to see it online.

JediTricks
04-15-2010, 10:05 PM
I thought it was an ok episode, not their worst but not as good as some of this season. I also felt they could have chosen a lot more from the early seasons to bring up, like Pip or the rats that follow Kenny or Cheesy Poofs or T&P or Mister Hanky or a few other things of that nature, rather than revisiting a lot of their stuff from only a few years ago. Mr Hat was a good inclusion, bringing back the "Who is Cartman's Father?" crap from season 1's cliffhanger/April Fools debacle may be asking too much though but it might work (I've seen good arguments made for Cartman being Kyle's dad's illegitimate son, what with Kyle's dad being in the room and Cartman and Kyle having the same rare blood, plus making Cartman a Jew after how awful he's been towards them would be pretty funny).

That Jennifer Lopez bit was never funny, and it was painfully overplayed, and now it's just as stupid as all the other Cartman stuff unfortunately.

BTW, does anybody else remember the furor that the T&P April Fools episode caused? Comedy Central got slammed with angry calls and faxes and emails so bad they forced Matt & Trey to move the season 2 premiere up at least a month sooner. People were livid!

El Chuxter
04-15-2010, 11:33 PM
I remember the ad where they played a voicemail where a dude was threatening to kill them for that stunt.

Of course, I also remember the April Fool's stunt itself, thinking it was going to end at any moment and go back to South Park. And how that feeling dwindled with every passing second, and how T&P seemed so much less funny. It didn't help that there's the bit where they see South Park on TV, and Cartman is saying, "So he's my dad?"

JediTricks
04-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah, that was the thing, they not only screwed over expectant audience by faking out the cliffhanger, but they also made T&P lame. I remember just waiting and waiting for it to at least be funny, and instead there wasn't a single funny thing or smart thing, nothing remotely clever, it was just a mess.

Ando
04-16-2010, 06:16 PM
I actually thoroughly enjoyed "200". All the old callbacks were still funny to me, especially the Jennifer Lopez stuff (mostly because I had just rewatched it a few days prior).

The end of the episode said "To Be Continued" so who knows what will happen.

El Chuxter
04-22-2010, 09:27 AM
To say 201 was a letdown would be an understatement. A lot of references, like Pip and Mr Hankey, seemed forced. (It would be kind of funny if, starting now, they were to kill Pip every episode and no one cared, though.) Mecha-Streisand was a waste, just an excuse to show old buildings (and how did she destroy Casa Bonita in South Park, when it was in another city)?

The whole bit with Scott Tenorman was also pretty forced and not very funny. So, is Mrs Cartman still a hermaphrodite, or was she lying every single time she mentioned... y'know. Cartman only being saddened because he was half-Ginger was so predictable, it was pointless.

There were a lot of more important things throughout the series that seemed like they should've come up. Not a mention of Chef at all? Or Professor Chaos? (If they hadn't shown him in the Coon episode, I could've assumed Butters gave that up after the throwing star incident.) As much as I can't stand him, what about Towelie? I may be wrong, but I don't even think Timmy or Jimmy appeared in this two-parter at all.

The only things I really laughed at were the more risque back-and-forth regarding Seaman and Swallow, and Tom Cruise on the moon (though, honestly, I thought they were going to send him to the planet with the Ethernopians).

Darth Metalmute
04-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Thoughts on the 200th episode, if anyone cares?.

I loved all the homages to past, but felt that they had to rush all of them in at once that you spent as much time saying, "Ha Ha, I remember that" and less time actually listening and watching the episode.

And isn't Jesus dead in the South Park universe, having given his life to save Santa Claus from the Iraqis? (That seems like the most blasphemous sentence in human history.)

Jesus was resurrected a few years later for the Easter Episode they did. He died several times in that one. Kyle had to kill him one of the times because Jesus had to die in order to be resurrected outside of the jail cage.

To say 201 was a letdown would be an understatement.

I was disappointed as well. It was okay, but I really wished they would have spread out the content over three episodes.

Mecha-Streisand was a waste, just an excuse to show old buildings (and how did she destroy Casa Bonita in South Park, when it was in another city)?

I kinda liked the Mecha Streisand. The part were she sprayed poison mist was funny. I loved the part where they did the Neil Diamond thing. I alway thought Casa Bonita was in South Park however.

The whole bit with Scott Tenorman was also pretty forced and not very funny. So, is Mrs Cartman still a hermaphrodite, or was she lying every single time she mentioned... y'know. Cartman only being saddened because he was half-Ginger was so predictable, it was pointless.

I honestly loved the Scott Tenorman angle. However, this was an excellent reason why it should have been spread over three episodes. I thought everything in this episode felt rushed, as if let's throw as much at the audience that we can in 22 minutes.

There were a lot of more important things throughout the series that seemed like they should've come up. Not a mention of Chef at all? Or Professor Chaos? (If they hadn't shown him in the Coon episode, I could've assumed Butters gave that up after the throwing star incident.) As much as I can't stand him, what about Towelie? I may be wrong, but I don't even think Timmy or Jimmy appeared in this two-parter at all.

I was disappointed about not seeing Darth Chef as well. But I think because of the fact Hayes has passed away along with the way he left the show, (I read somewhere that he actually didn't quit, but someone from Scientology quit for him) that they left him out due to respect.

The only things I really laughed at were the more risque back-and-forth regarding Seaman and Swallow, and Tom Cruise on the moon (though, honestly, I thought they were going to send him to the planet with the Ethernopians).

"Seaman, come." Hilarious!

I thought they were going to send Cruise to imagination land.

Did you see where Comedy Central was responsible for all the beeps? You can't even watch the uncensored version on SouthParkStudios.com.

Whats funny is in the original "Super Best Friends" episode, they show Muhammad, and he even appears in the background of several openings.

Ando
04-22-2010, 02:03 PM
I thought they were going to send Cruise to imagination land.

That's what I was expecting/hoping for.

LTBasker
04-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Overall I thought it fell flat, but it still got a few laughs out of me. I thought this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Gay_Al%27s_Big_Gay_Boat_Ride) would be Tom Cruise's fate, though. ;)

El Chuxter
04-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I do take back that I only laughed twice. I forgot the funniest moment of the episode: Mr Slave's "Jesus Christ!" as Jesus came into town with the Super Best Friends. It was so incredibly obvious, yet still a bit unexpected and really funny.

Darth Metalmute
04-22-2010, 03:06 PM
They did that a couple of times where they angerly said "Jesus Christ" and it turned out that they were addressing him.

I loved it when Moses was laughing at Seaman.

I actually can't wait until they release the episode uncensored. I would love to hear what they said after, "You know, I learned something....."

El Chuxter
04-22-2010, 03:18 PM
I figured Comedy Central made them bleep Mohammed's name after they got death threats last week, and the "I learned something today" was just intentionally bleeps, with no actual words there.

El Chuxter
04-22-2010, 11:19 PM
And, according to them, that was not the case.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100423/ap_en_tv/us_tv_south_park_muslims

JediTricks
04-23-2010, 02:33 AM
I just watched it. My DVR overrode the recording (a repeat somehow came up "new" of something higher in the series order) and then today when they scheduled the repeat they aired a different episode at the last second, the cowards.

To say 201 was a letdown would be an understatement. A lot of references, like Pip and Mr Hankey, seemed forced. (It would be kind of funny if, starting now, they were to kill Pip every episode and no one cared, though.) Mecha-Streisand was a waste, just an excuse to show old buildings (and how did she destroy Casa Bonita in South Park, when it was in another city)?

There were a lot of more important things throughout the series that seemed like they should've come up. Not a mention of Chef at all? Or Professor Chaos? (If they hadn't shown him in the Coon episode, I could've assumed Butters gave that up after the throwing star incident.) As much as I can't stand him, what about Towelie? I may be wrong, but I don't even think Timmy or Jimmy appeared in this two-parter at all.Yours are all excellent points. It felt very phoned in, like they had no actual ideas and just wanted to go with something to get it over with.

Also, even the voice acting largely seemed lazy. Moses and Pip both cracked.

The only things I really laughed at were the more risque back-and-forth regarding Seaman and Swallow, and Tom Cruise on the moon (though, honestly, I thought they were going to send him to the planet with the Ethernopians).Again, agreed, and even the moon bit didn't hit me as hard. I like your idea about the other planet, but it's got lots of humans now with those Ethernopians. I was thinking they were talking about Imaginationland m'self.

And WTF was with them apologizing to Tom Cruise? What they said about him required no apologies, that's how they portrayed him. They mushed out.

I loved all the homages to past, but felt that they had to rush all of them in I alway thought Casa Bonita was in South Park however.No, it's a real place (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Bonita) just outside of Denver, Cartman makes repeated references to that and they go on a long drive to get there in the first episode.

It was really sleazy of Comedy Central to cut entire portions out of the ending, that was just caving to fear. Matt & Trey say it didn't even mention Muhammed in the dialogue, the network caved bad, they're basically proving the terrorists won: http://www.southparkstudios.com/news/3878

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-23-2010, 07:49 AM
I kept wondering why when I tried to DVR a rerun of it I kept getting different episodes. guess I have to take to the internets for this one.

Ando
04-23-2010, 10:45 AM
...I was thinking they were talking about Imaginationland m'self.

I wonder if this what they intended people to think. I was thinking this was the case myself, at least until we saw him laying on the surface of the moon.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-26-2010, 09:58 PM
I finally just saw this one, after already hearing about all the outcry. I thought it was pretty good, at least as good as 200.

And Casa Bonita is about ten minutes from my dorm/school, and it's very much still there. I've actually never been, but you do hear about it all the time in Colorado . . . it seems like it's more or less how it was portrayed in the show.

El Chuxter
11-19-2010, 01:05 AM
I discovered over the summer that many members of my wife's family live near Casa Bonita and have been many times. I understand the portrayal on the show is not played up, though the place is run down.

Back to the lecture at hand....

The current season has been one of the worst in a while. I feel like it's going into a lull like... well, looking at the episode lists on Wikipedia, I'm not sure that there's been a lull quite this bad before. (I didn't watch from late 2000 through 2001 following the incredibly bad "4th Grade" episode, but have seen most of the eps in reruns since.) Of this season, "You Have 0 Friends" was quite good, and "The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs" was decent, but the rest has been downright bad.

I don't want an official explanation for why Kenny could die and come back. It undermined the whole absurdity of it (even if they were trying for a comic book parody of sorts), and did they forget the whole insanely ridiculous bit from one early episode where Kenny dies, and his mom gives birth to an infant wearing a hoodie, saying she'll name him Kenny just like all the others?

Last night's was especially weak. I was looking forward to it, as it was an absolutely hilarious premise. Unfortunately, just Cartman as Gordon Ramsay and the bits with the Shake Weight were any good, and the whole goofiness of that was, what, a year ago? (The episode really felt like it could've been an old unreleased episode they released anyway so they wouldn't have to make a new one.) The Food Network stuff was ripe for parody, but, aside from getting the look of the hosts down, they didn't appear to have done any research at all. (Alton Brown, being a super geek, would've been especially ripe for spoofing. If nothing else, he actually has a recipe in one of his books for a dish he calls a "Cheesy Poof," and dedicates it to a kid named Eric in Colorado. C'mon, Matt and Trey, how could you miss that the guy is a fan and give him the bland treatment?)

I'm hoping that the next season (or half season, however they do it this time) is better.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-19-2010, 03:02 AM
I stopped watching after the Nascar episode. It seems that all they do anymore is repeat the same obvious joke over and over through an episode... it's a shame.

Darth Metalmute
11-19-2010, 07:32 AM
The shake weight jokes were great.

I typically find Randy episodes stupid. It's the South Park attempt to mirror Homer Simpson in my opinion and it fails miserably.

I'm pretty fed up with the to be continued episodes especially the Coon 2 trilogy. The BP apology and the LeBron jokes were great, but the rest was just un-watchable.

I will have to re-watch Insheeption as I found it boring at first. But I watched Inception a week later so I might get some of it now.

I'm kind of wondering if the lack of creative juices or lull that Chux refered to is done on purpose, as sort of a retaliation for how Comedy Central treated "201". The first 6 episodes this year were strong. The rest could get a show cancelled.

El Chuxter
05-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Looking at critical reactions to this season so far, I think I'm a bizarro critic. It seems like everyone loved "HumanCentiPad," which I thought was probably the worst episode in the show's history (quite a feat given how many bad ones there've been over the years). The only thing I got out of that was a desire to look up what the hell they were spoofing, and found out about what looks like the dumbest horror movie ever made.

And I thought "FunnyBot" was one of the best in a long time. I actually laughed out loud for several minutes at how insanely stupid FunnyBot's jokes were, and the gag about Token and Tyler Perry should've gotten old, but never did. It appears the critics hated it.

Darth Metalmute
05-12-2011, 03:44 PM
"HumanCentiPad" was not funny. I had to watch it twice because I couldn't believe I didn't laugh at it. Even Cartman's "you're screwing me" jokes only resulted in a chuckle.

FunnyBot was pretty good, but I really liked last nights. The royal Canadian wedding was hilarious. The re-introduction of Scott was great. The intermission where Macky was laying into the kindergarteners while the parents could hear was priceless.

El Chuxter
05-12-2011, 03:59 PM
I didn't want to weigh in on "Royal Pudding," since I couldn't see it at 10 and tried to catch it at midnight, but drifted off. It looked like another amusingly ridiculous Canadian episode.

Darth Metalmute
05-13-2011, 07:50 AM
It was indeed. The Canadian "traditions" were hilarious.

Darth Metalmute
06-08-2011, 11:17 PM
What a shocking conclusion/cliffhanger to the mid-season finale. Holy "Bleep"!

JediTricks
06-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I thought it was a mixed-to-mediocre episode right up until that honesty came out at the end, and all of a sudden it came to life to say what needed saying so badly the last few years - that they had run aground of ideas and were just flailing at boredom lately, focusing on shenanigans to keep it alive. It was still heavy-handed and painfully over the top, but at least it was saying SOMETHING for once. The ending not being a cheap gag made more of an impact than anything they've done this century, I'd say.