PDA

View Full Version : Ephant Mon is a smelly bastage!

JediTricks
11-15-2002, 12:41 AM
Man, I just freed this thing from its packaging and it smells worse than a wet wookiee! ...worse than the Death Star's trash compactor! ...worse than Lucas' beard 3 days after all-you-can-eat night at the Sizzler! (Ok, that was cheap and wrong :D) But this thing smells sooooooo bad, originally I thought to myself "it smells worse than any previous SW figure, like a McFarlane figure"... and upon reflection, with good reason. This figure's materials appear to be almost identical to the ones used to make mid-series (like series 4 through 15 maybe) Spawn figures, and the design appears to match. I wonder if there wasn't some cross-company assistance on this big boy.

Anyway, the point is, this figure stinks pretty bad. Oh, and his "secret" knife holder is a hole on the front of his bare leg, not the most secret of spots. ;)

Darth Sidious
11-15-2002, 06:56 AM
YES!!!!!!!! I am VERY glad to hear that. I love sniffing my figures, and I can't wait to smell Ephant Mon. This makes me want it even more...

Rogue II
11-15-2002, 07:46 AM
Shouldn't this thread be merged with the Sniff you mouse droid thread?

I still haven't got Ephant Mon yet. I heard he is stinky. I think the worst so far is the Saga Royal Guard. That dude is FUNKY!

LTBasker
11-15-2002, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
worse than Lucas' beard 3 days after all-you-can-eat night at the Sizzler! (Ok, that was cheap and wrong :D)

Besides if you look on the DVD documentarys he's lost weight and McCallum's gained. :D What, it was that noticeable! I swear... ok.

Try putting him near a vent or something, he should air out after awhile. 'Course alot of the figures seem to keep the smell a little but definitely not as bad as it is when they're freshly out.

Maybe the dagger being able to hang on to his leg is supposed to simulate hairs that he tied together as a hidden sheath. :D

Jargo
11-15-2002, 09:38 AM
That smell can't be good for you surely. I nearly passed out on the fumes when I opened my Ephant Mon. As to the cross company help thing, I thought Hasbro Star Wars team had already poached sculptors from McFarlane and that's why all the figures suddenly got more detailed, got more pre-posed and got to be shoddier in the production stages. I'm sure i read a report about a year ago that said there were ex McFarlane people working on our toys now. I could be mistaken so i won't state it as fact but I do recall something fishy making me angry at the time because i reasoned that the toys would change too much and not fit in with the older stuff...... hey, guess what......!! :D

Jayspawn
11-15-2002, 10:32 AM
I'll bet Ephant is smelly. All that paint!

I've noticed that George has lost weight. McCallum looks the same to me.

JEDIpartner
11-15-2002, 11:00 AM
Golly! I can't wait to get my Ephant Mon!

Yes, George appears to have dropped a ton... and Rick packed that on and THEN SOME! Yow!!! CG Jabba? I think not! Let's use ol' Rick!

InsaneJediGirl
11-15-2002, 11:06 AM
Well..At least Ephant Mon cant get stuck up ones nose:D

JP,Good idea to use Rick as Jabba!Just think of all the money LucasFlim would save.:D Plus,whats up with Ricks hair,one side is nice..the other is all..poofy.Needs hairgel:rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
11-15-2002, 11:08 AM
I know! I thought MY head was one massive, unruly cowlick... this guy has a way of making me feel better about myself! :rolleyes:

Lord Malakite
11-15-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
Shouldn't this thread be merged with the Sniff you mouse droid thread?

I still haven't got Ephant Mon yet. I heard he is stinky. I think the worst so far is the Saga Royal Guard. That dude is FUNKY!

Don't worry, I'm certain Tycho will see this thread sooner or later. ;)

OC47150
11-15-2002, 03:48 PM
I love the smell of new figures in the morning. It smells like victory!

I couldn't resist.

Tycho
11-15-2002, 05:22 PM
Exactly!

Welcome to the figure sniffing fad, JediTricks.

This is why we sniff the Mouse Droid, although it's less potent than Ephont Mon.

You might want to start with a new Mouse Droid, to get into this easy.

Ephont Mon is like an overdose, almost! I was sniffing mine for quite a little while before I finally couldn't wait any longer to stick him in my Jabba's Palace diorama.

I think that Luminara or the Royal Guard are sort of the intermediate steps - the guard's helmet was purposely designed for easy nostril-insertion. But seriously, if Ephont Mon is too strong for you, I seriously recommend you cut back.

Part of the way to overcome withdrawal is to find other new Star Wars figures. New figures always smell fresher than your older ones, and like it's been said, the smell translates to the smell of success because only a freshly opened figure can compare with this smell.

Unfortunately, there are really not a lot of new figures since Ephont Mon, that have been released for this Christmas. If you don't have the deluxe Clone Trooper, you might try finding him at K-Mart. This is a great figure, but I caution you concerning sniffing him, too:

My Clone Trooper helmet got stuck up my nose. But fortunately it's a good, tight fit on the trooper, so I was able to insert him into my sinuses while gripping him by the legs, and when I pulled my figure out of my left nostril, low and behold he was wearing his helmet again! Only it was on backwards.

If I'd known better, I'd have removed the helmet from my nose while hanging upside down like Luke Skywalker. Then perhaps my head would be in the right position to remove my clone trooper out of my nose, with his helmet on the correct way!

This would be a great trick for parties! People could make bets on whether you could pull something out of your nose the right way, or whether you should see a good therapist.

Meanwhile, The Mouse Droids Sniffers' Association recommends the Mouse Droid for action figure sniffing enthusiasts since it's relatively safe and cannot fit all the way into most people's nasal passages.

In fact, I've even invented a special harness to aide others in this hobby (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=191361) , and it was recently M.E.A. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=197062) approved.

Please take the time to check it out - and fans: recognize that Ephont Mon has not yet been proven safe, and totally harmless to your health. Sniff with caution. I can speak from experience.

JangoFart
11-15-2002, 05:50 PM
Man, I knew it was only a matter of time b/f Tycho "got wind" of this thread :)

You are some figure-sniffin' fools!

J

JediTricks
11-16-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Besides if you look on the DVD documentarys he's lost weight and McCallum's gained. :D What, it was that noticeable! I swear... ok.That would make sense, since McCallum is just a parasite living off Lucas. :evil:

I never heard that Jargo, the only escaped McF toy designers I know of are at Mattel and Art Asylum. But still, Ephant reminds me of the Spawn figure "Heap" so much.

Jayspawn, I'm pretty sure it's not the paint, but the actual plastic that's making this smell, outgassing because it's a blend of 11 herbs and spices. :D

BTW, I didn't want to smell this figure, it actually made me a little sick when I first opened the package, but I had to discuss this foul stench with all of you.

And Tycho, could you please take your insane ramblings to the thread that is about the enjoyment of smelling action figures? :crazed:

I just busted loose a McF fig (Poacher) I had never opened from replacing the 1st one which was broken and Ephant and he share a LOT of smelly traits at the moment, so I've put the McF fig away and moved Ephant away from me to outgas some more.

Jedi Drew
11-16-2002, 10:23 AM
This thread is funny as hell....can't wait to sniff my Ephant Mon....once I FIND one!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Chiesa
11-16-2002, 04:01 PM
I seriously didn't know that collecting of figures has gone to the extent of smelling them!! eheheh I didn't even know that there was such a ranking of the worse smelling figure!? :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-16-2002, 09:59 PM
Tidbit 1) Scores of formuites are experiencing, as seen on this thread, what can be described almost as a potent 'high' when sniffing Ephant Mon figures.

Tidbit 2) Ephant Mon figures are very difficult to find on the shelves. As soon as they are put out, they are quickly snatched up.

Anyone see some sort of connection here? :D

2-1B
02-12-2004, 12:33 PM
I have Ephant sitting right in front of my monitor. It had been awhile since I smelled him so I took a hit and I'm afraid he has lost his potency. :(

I might have to crack open my carded figure to get my fix. :sur:

Kidhuman
02-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Dont do it Caesar. Leave him alone. Wait five years or so, then crack him open. The memories will come flushing back as you inhale the stench that couldnt escape.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Or, even better, you could send that carded Ephant Mon to me. :D

I still haven't got one. Or a POTJ R4-M9 with smelly mouse droid for that matter!

ANEEL
02-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Or, even better, you could send that carded Ephant Mon to me. :D

I still haven't got one. Or a POTJ R4-M9 with smelly mouse droid for that matter!
I HAVE A FRIEND SELLING BOTH PIECES FOR 15.00 EACH

JediTricks
02-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Just checked mine, it stink no more!

Val Da Car
02-12-2004, 11:17 PM
you people are just WIERD.....

just plain WiErD.....

but I like the smell of the Hologram Luke I just got tonight.....almost minty fresh

genericclone99
02-19-2004, 07:15 AM
you people are just WIERD.....

just plain WiErD.....

but I like the smell of the Hologram Luke I just got tonight.....almost minty fresh

The practise is known as snuffin'. I read about it in Toyfare mag a while ago.

Ephant Mon was good to snuff.

Best figures for snuffin' at the moment are the new wampa and the Taun Taun from the hoth 4 pack.
If your nose fits in the abdominal cavity,.. ahhhhh heaven.

Beats licking toads.

And good to see our true motives for collecting.
Now to get another fix.

2-1B
06-25-2006, 01:16 AM
I have Ephant sitting right in front of my monitor. It had been awhile since I smelled him so I took a hit and I'm afraid he has lost his potency. :(

I might have to crack open my carded figure to get my fix. :sur:

Odd, I guess his stench is a matter of exposure because my loose Ephant was in storage for well over a year and half, so I had no contact with him...I pulled him out while taking inventory of my stuff a few weeks back and I remembered this thread so I took a whiff. I could still smell him a little bit ! :) Nothing overpowering (although that would be awesome) but I guess being away from him so long, I was able to pick up a trace of his smelly bastageness as opposed to when I had him airing out in front of my computer day after day.

That Ephant Mon's some good snuffin' :thumbsup:

Tycho
06-25-2006, 11:20 AM
That's awesome Ceasar! My loose Ephont Mon is somewhere in storage (I didn't pack my stuff as many of you are aware). I hope I too will be able to find mine (with his cane) all intact, and sniff him when I get the chance. I only needed one, but found 5 in my hunting career. I kept 1 of those extras for myself in case I could use him (with Ki-Adi Mundi from Prelude to Rebellion, or something) and sold the others into my collecting circle at cost (which was $2.98 ea from KB Clearance sale - yeah I got very lucky and I was uh, "dating" a young girl that worked KB's Going-Out-Of-Business sale at the time by coincidence). Hopefully, it will be a while before I have the urge to open my as-of-yet-carded Ephont Mon that I just re-found recently. I usually keep an extra of every interesting alien handy for "scene filler" and recently added Hem Dazon (1 of 8 I bought) to that pile. It's handy for EU scenes too.

plasticfetish
06-25-2006, 05:44 PM
The stuff you're smelling is the plasticizer leaching out, and then getting trapped in that bag for you to huff. Here's a brilliant article (http://www.zincpanic.com/article/25252.html) on plastics and toys and all of that good stuff. (I think this is just about the best little essay about this that I've ever read.)

PS. Ephant Mon just called me on the phone to say that he's really sad that you guys are still calling him "smelly" over two years later. :cry:

Slicker
06-25-2006, 06:06 PM
So we've got a whole bunch of druggies on the boards, eh? You guys are not better than crack addicts.

Tycho
06-25-2006, 06:52 PM
So we've got a whole bunch of druggies on the boards, eh? You guys are not better than crack addicts.

Yes we are: Star Wars figures are LEGAL!!!

Sniffing Mouse Droids has only caused a massive brain aneurysm in one poster here.

Thank you for posting that informative article on plastics, PlasticFetish... (did it just echo in here?)

I am going to use this information to create a Mouse Lab with my microwave and make some suggestions to Hasbro at Comic Con for creating a more potent Mouse Droid. (Tycho - puts on his white lab coat and grins with his eyes crossed)

JediTricks
06-26-2006, 03:05 PM
Yes we are: Star Wars figures are LEGAL!!!YOU BLEW IT! Perfect opportunity for a TPM quote!

"Star Wars figures are perfectly legal!"

or if I were ToyFare magazine... "Star Was figuhs ahe pefectwy weegal!"

Tycho
06-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Oh! Yousa guys are bombad!