PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings figures

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

Darth Cruel
01-17-2006, 10:40 AM
I am anxious to find out what the next Sideshow 12" figure is for this line. I can't even decide who I want most of all because there are so many incredible characters. Gandalf, any Uruk-Hai warrior, Saruman, Elven warriors. I think I have to go with something like a prologue Elven Warrior, Great cosutms and accessories. But it sounds like the armor will limit the possability of that.

Hellboy
01-18-2006, 04:19 PM
I'd be surprised if Gandalf isn't next. I'm just wondering if they're going to be releasing them at the same rate as the new SW 12" line? If so this could get expensive quick.

Darth Cruel
01-18-2006, 05:03 PM
You said it HB. There is so much great stuff coming out this year with the Star Wars 12" line, and with the HAsbro 3 3/4" Star Wars stiuff that I may need a second job.

Eowyn1072
01-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Hi everyone, I had been looking around for a list of ToyBiz Lord Of The Rings action figures that are avalaible. I have called ToyBiz a few times a year to ask for one and they said it was too much work, they were not making one. The most comprehensive list I have found so far is on figurerealm.com. But, that is missing a lot of figures. Do any of you have suggestions for sites to look at for a checklist of figures or do you have any lists you would be willing to share so we can all compare and see if we are missing any figures? I appreciate any input or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Reefer Shark
01-22-2006, 02:39 AM
Welcome to SSG Eowyn1072!

You could try this website: The Green Dragon (http://www.thegd.com/) Click on "The Archives" tab at the top. These guys have the most comprehensive list I've seen.

Eowyn1072
01-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Sorry I was gone for the week. Thank you so much for the fast reply and the link to the best list I have ever seen. It is very, very impressive. Thanks!

TheDarthVader
02-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Well, I guess epic series 2 isn't going to ship to the United States. :(
Thanks a lot Toy Biz.

B.
TDV

Darth Cruel
02-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Legolas is the next 12: from Sideshow! This is good!

JediTricks
02-12-2006, 04:18 AM
I told myself I wasn't going to get into this SSC 12" line, what with already killing my wallet on the SW line, but for some reason, seeing that Legolas 12" made me go preorder Aragorn. I figure I'll get Gandalf and Gimli too, but that's IT (same with my Toy Biz figs).

Darth Cruel
02-13-2006, 07:31 PM
The bow in the pic is not the one Galadriel Gave him. My guess is Galadriel's bow will be the exclusive accessory. And that would be a good choice. I wonder if he will have his Rohan armor. It doesn't look like it from the pic.

Darth Cruel
02-16-2006, 08:28 AM
The bow in the pic is not the one Galadriel Gave him. My guess is Galadriel's bow will be the exclusive accessory. And that would be a good choice. I wonder if he will have his Rohan armor. It doesn't look like it from the pic.

I was wrong. Legolas' exclusive items are:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/92081_press02-001.jpg

And:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/92081_press04-001.jpg

Interesting choices. I wonder how the exclusive on the Lothlorien cloak will affect the Hobbits' having theirs.

Darth Cruel
02-17-2006, 02:09 PM
12 minutes and the exclusive was mine! I am glad to have this one!

JediTricks
02-17-2006, 03:17 PM
3 minutes total including getting the email, 10:03am. I am really glad I got this, Legolas was one of my favorites (which kinda sucks since all these girls went gaga over Orlando Bloom, even my mother :p). I can't believe you can still preorder the exclusive at this point, there are 1750 of 'em yet it's open to the public and STILL available - none of the priority preorders for Star Wars made it out to the public. I'm glad Legolas is $10 less than Aragorn, that figure's $65 pricetag felt pretty steep even though it does look really good and has a ton of accessories.

TheDarthVader
02-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Well...I was lucky enough to order mordor orc leiutenant, eowyn in dress, wraith with firey sword, and legolas from a toy company in New Zealand. I tried to order more after I received mine for forum members, but they were sold out. :( The Toy Fair news is that Toy Biz has stopped all LOTR figure production. :( I feel for those who missed out on the final four.

B.
TDV

JediTricks
02-20-2006, 04:26 AM
I think Toy Biz is making a huge mistake, losing the Marvel license meant they needed a flagship line, LOTR could have been it, now without it I suspect they're going to disappear in a few months.

Luuuuuuke
02-21-2006, 04:32 PM
I feel for those who missed out on the final four.

B.
TDV

I missed out on them, but I'm only sorry to have missed on the Mordor Orc Lieutenant. I could have paid an arm and a leg for him, but I just won't do that. I ordered him from Toynk.com for $14.99. They say they're due to get a shipment, but I'm kind of skeptical. But no harm in finding out.

I've passed on the Sideshow LOTR figures, though after looking at my 12" Toybiz Gimli yesterday, I have to say he was pretty darn great looking. The others were okay.

Ji'dai
02-24-2006, 12:11 PM
My local TRU put out a LOTR figure set, basically three carded figures attached to a plain cardboard sheet with the ToyBiz logo on the back. Nothing too exciting in the figure selection, I saw mainly King Aragorn, Council Legolas, and Strider.

TheDarthVader
02-25-2006, 01:00 PM
My local TRU put out a LOTR figure set, basically three carded figures attached to a plain cardboard sheet with the ToyBiz logo on the back. Nothing too exciting in the figure selection, I saw mainly King Aragorn, Council Legolas, and Strider.

Have not seen that yet but *yawn*.

B.
TDV

figrin bran
02-25-2006, 10:54 PM

at my local TRU, it was Council Legolas + Eye of Sauron + SA Boromir

JediTricks
02-26-2006, 07:55 PM
at my local TRU, it was Council Legolas + Eye of Sauron + SA Boromir
I was about to say "same here" when I remembered that it's the same TRU. :p Monrovia also had a few of those though.

Hellboy
05-19-2006, 09:59 PM
The third figure in Sideshow's 12" LOTR line is apparently going to be Boromir (http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/Hellboy1138/Boromir.jpg)

JediTricks
05-20-2006, 04:21 AM
Just saved me $70. :p

Hellboy
05-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Not a fan of Boromir JT? I liked the character myself and think the figure's likeness is spot-on. :thumbsup:

Here is a bigger picture of Boromir (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=051806boromir) Sideshow put up. I wonder what the Exclusive will be? The horn of Gondor would be cool.

JediTricks
05-21-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm not a fan enough to buy merchandise of him, his character was what he was in the movie and I have no particular distaste for that, but I'm very selective about which LOTR merchandise I buy.

If the horn of Gondor is the exclusive accessory, I suspect a lot of collectors will crap their pants in anger.

Blue2th
05-29-2006, 09:40 PM
So you suppose with the next figure being Borimor, do you think Sideshow is going for all the figures in the Fellowship of the Ring first in the LOTR 12" line? So far they all have the Lothlorien Elven cloaks. I suppose that even though Borimor is not even close to my favorite character, I will have to buy him as one of a possible complete fellowship. I was hoping Gandalf the Gray would be next.

kool-aid killer
05-30-2006, 11:26 AM
I get depressed whenever i see an email from this thread on my Hotmail account. My face lights up as i see the LOTR thread has gotten a response, only to realize that its content is probably geared towards the NECA figures as opposed to the Toybiz ones i collected. Then i get sad and delete it.

JediTricks
05-30-2006, 10:29 PM
You have to accept that it's over, Toy Biz is grinding to a halt and has killed the LOTR line. It sucks, I know.

Don't the thread response emails have part of the post in them?

Reefer Shark
05-31-2006, 12:13 AM
Yup ToyBiz/LOTR's days are done, and ToyBiz/Marvel's days are numbered...

I get depressed whenever i see an email from this thread on my Hotmail account. My face lights up as i see the LOTR thread has gotten a response, only to realize that its content is probably geared towards the NECA figures as opposed to the Toybiz ones i collected. Then i get sad and delete it.

Actually, it seems that Sideshow has taken more of the spotlight in this thread lately with their 12" line. Speaking of which, I ordered the exclusive Boromir today. Not my first choice for a character, but he looks pretty sweet in the pics over at sideshow.com. I'm really hoping the next one is an Orc or Uruk Hai, but I doubt it for some reason...

I have to say that for some reason these 12" LOTR figures seem more impressive to me than the Star Wars line so far. Although it may be a bit unfair to compare the two lines so early in the game.

mm74md
05-31-2006, 02:23 PM
I just don't understand why the LOTR sideshow figs are in the $60's

Darth Cruel
05-31-2006, 05:19 PM
Maybe not for Boromir...but I understand the high price tags with the quality of the figures and the number of accessories...along with the limited number (which I DO NOT prefer). It does stand to reason...but I do wish they would make more so that the prices would drop.

On the other hand...these figures are not selling all that well...so making even more of them may not be reasonable.

Jargo
06-01-2006, 04:37 PM
According to the green dragon, Neca says end of June for the Balrog. as in, in stores end of june. which means early july really.

figrin bran
06-25-2006, 02:04 AM
i found quite a few AOME horse & rider sets at Big Lots today and added another ringwraith and warg rider to my collection.

UKWildcat
06-26-2006, 11:49 AM
I never thought to check out Big Lots. Good idea figrin.

While I'm here.... I am interested in purchasing the 24" Sauron statue (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=lotr_eustock&item=9341&type=store) that was put out by Sideshow/Weta some time ago. It has since been retired so I am unable to order it through their website, I wouldn't want to pay the $300 price tag anyways. I've found them cheaper on ebay, but I was just wondering if that is my only option? or do you all know another way to go about getting this statue, and/or other retired statues? Thanks.

figrin bran
06-26-2006, 10:32 PM
actually, UKWildcat, i've been reading about various AOME finds at Big Lots for quite a while now on LOTRguide.com. i just haven't seen any for myself until the other day.

UKWildcat
06-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Like I said earlier, I would have never thought to look at Big Lots. It is one block over from where I work too. :crazed: I picked up 4 figures today, basically one of each that they had. I got Merry In Rohan Armor on Pony, King Theoden on Horseback, Morannon Orc on Warg and Gandalf and Pippin on Shadowfox. I may go back and get a couple more Orcs on Wargs. I was really really hoping to get several Ringwraiths but they didn't have any. :( I'll definitely check back every once in a while though. Thanks again figrin! :thumbsup:

figrin bran
06-27-2006, 11:21 PM
no problem wildcat! looks like you had a pretty good haul at your local big lots. hopefully they'll get more stuff in too and if you don't mind paying cost + shipping, i don't mind picking up any ringwraiths for you if i come by any more of them. the one i got was from the very 1st wave of the horse/rider sets and is listed as just "Dark Rider"

UKWildcat
06-28-2006, 01:30 AM
Awesome figrin! I'm going to keep checking Big Lots to see if they get some Ringwraiths in but if you happen to find any of them, I'll gladly take them off your hands. For some reason I didn't get into collecting LOTR stuff, but now I'm trying to put together a little display and I could most definitely use some of these Ringwraiths. I'm looking to get about 6 of them and any help would be greatly appreciated! :yes: :thumbsup:

Thanks again!

figrin bran
06-28-2006, 01:59 AM
no problem UK! are you sure you don't want 9 of the wraiths? :) they also had Eomer + horse at my local big lots, lmk if you need that one.

UKWildcat
06-28-2006, 02:44 AM
Hell, if you can swing 9 of them, I'll take 9 of them! :D lol But really, I'd take as many Wraiths that you can get really... I figured 9 would be asking too much. ;)

Don't really need Eomer, but if they have Legolas and Gimli on Horseback or Arwen and Frodo on Horseback I'd take those. Do you know if BL is getting the "deluxe" type sets; Shelob w/ Frodo and Sam and Osgiliath Ruins w/ Beast, Ringwraith and Frodo? If so, I'd be interested in both of those as well. :D :thumbsup:

figrin bran
06-28-2006, 12:04 PM
i'm not sure if they're getting those sets in but i'll keep an eye out for them

UKWildcat
06-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Cool. Thanks again figrin!

Blue2th
07-06-2006, 10:15 PM
According to the green dragon, Neca says end of June for the Balrog. as in, in stores end of june. which means early july really. I ordered that Balrog from AFX when he was first anounced. I also heard that he has been postponed till Oct. If true it's a Bummer! I was all ready to put him next to the electronic "You shall not pass" 6 inch Gandalf.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Ladies and Gents, boys and girls of all ages. It's my honor and pleasure to present to thee something nearly 5 years in the making: NECA's Balrog.

Info on the Lights that......light up:
The large flame on the top of his head and on his back light up
There are 2 functions when pressing the button on his back:
Function 1 - short sound clip of growl/roar with flickering lights
Function 2 - longer sound clip of growl/roar/crackling flames and more flickering light

Articulation:
Swivel Head
Ball Jointed Shoulders
Bendable Elbows
Swivel Wrists
Movable Tail
Swivel Waist
V Crotch

Accessories:
Flaming Sword
Flaming Whip

source: NECA's myspace page.

I think i just cried a little. :love:

Blue2th
07-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Oh my god, I just wet my pants! Just kidding! Nice pics JMG. I read at Steve's other site that a Balrog will be on display SDCC Neca booth. That's cool he also comes with sound. He's gonna go good with elec. Gandalf to talk back. I HAVE to make a Diorama.

figrin bran
07-17-2006, 09:17 PM
that balrog has been talked about for so long that i'll have to buy one and then find a way to clear some space so i can display it.

Darth Cruel
07-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Are they still available?

Darth Cruel
07-17-2006, 09:26 PM
How tall is it?

figrin bran
07-18-2006, 12:34 AM
while they're statues and not action figures, gentle giant's upcoming lotr lines of busts is looking pretty good. i'll probably buy a few

Strider:http://images.entertainmentearth.com//AUTOIMAGES/GE9349.jpg

Ringwraith:
http://images.entertainmentearth.com//AUTOIMAGES/GE9348.jpg

$50 per isn't so bad when you consider how much the sideshow weta pieces were.

UKWildcat
07-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info JMG. Balrog looks frickin' sweet!!!! The Balrog figure is going to stand over 24" tall and have a wingspan of 42". Some extra info gathered from Amazingtoyz where you can preorder the beast for $87.49.

I really like the Ringwraith bust too. Thanks for the links figrin.

UKWildcat
07-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Hey figrin, I went by Big Lots today and they put out about 15 new LOTR AOME sets. Unfortunately there were no Ringwraiths, :mad:, but I did pick up Legolas & Gimli on horseback and a Warg Rider.

figrin bran
07-28-2006, 10:12 PM
15 and not a wraith among them???

i've actually been forgetting to stop by Big Lots to check for these things. i'll try to go tomorrow or sunday though.

UKWildcat
07-29-2006, 01:12 AM
15 and not a wraith among them???
No kidding man. Thats what I said. When I saw all of the packages on the shelves I thought for sure I would atleast get one, maybe two. But nope... not a one.

i've actually been forgetting to stop by Big Lots to check for these things. i'll try to go tomorrow or sunday though.
I'm still looking for a few Ringwraiths, either style, and the Mouth Of Sauron figure and any help would be greatly appreciated.

figrin bran
07-29-2006, 01:26 AM
No kidding man. Thats what I said. When I saw all of the packages on the shelves I thought for sure I would atleast get one, maybe two. But nope... not a one.

I'm still looking for a few Ringwraiths, either style, and the Mouth Of Sauron figure and any help would be greatly appreciated.

you got it UKW. hopefully i'll get lucky with the finds.

the mouth of sauron is one of my favorites from the rider sets. for a toy of that scale, they sure did an incredible job on the horse's armor plating. too bad he only appears in the extended version of the film.

UKWildcat
07-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Awesome!!! Thanks figrin!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Amazingtoyz is in the process of charging and shipping out the mighty BALROG this week. sadly, once it gets here, i'll be off to Grad School. I'm giggly i'm getting it, but after all this time to miss it!! I was tempted to get two, one to open, one to keep MOC, but i think due to the price, i'll have no choice: one and it shall be opened and displayed.....eventually.

I guess i'll see it on Thanksgiving Break? :(

figrin bran
08-07-2006, 12:56 AM
UKW, my local Big Lots had the same blasted AOME sets that they did a few weeks ago when i first saw them.

BlueSnags
08-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Okay, just got home and saw the Balrog sitting on my front step. :shocked:

It comes in a HUGE brown box that says, "NECA 25" Balrog Electronic Action Figure" on the side. I opened the box up, and the Balrog is packaged in many different sections inside. There's no retail packaging aside from the plain brown box it comes in...so there's definitely no chance of seeing this at stores like Suncoast, etc.

I didn't realize he was going to come completely disassembled. It looks cool from what I can tell. Need to clear a space in the collecting room so I can lay all the pieces out and put him together later.

According to the box, I received #2071 of 2400.:laugh:

Luuuuuuke
08-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Okay, just got home and saw the Balrog sitting on my front step. :shocked:

It comes in a HUGE brown box that says, "NECA 25" Balrog Electronic Action Figure" on the side. I opened the box up, and the Balrog is packaged in many different sections inside. There's no retail packaging aside from the plain brown box it comes in...so there's definitely no chance of seeing this at stores like Suncoast, etc.

I didn't realize he was going to come completely disassembled. It looks cool from what I can tell. Need to clear a space in the collecting room so I can lay all the pieces out and put him together later.

According to the box, I received #2071 of 2400.:laugh:

I ordered this sucker from BBTS but still nothing on when they're going to ship it. I'm a little worried they're going to send it while I'm on vacation for a week in late August.

Looks like a very small run of them was made.

UKWildcat
08-12-2006, 11:21 AM
UKW, my local Big Lots had the same blasted AOME sets that they did a few weeks ago when i first saw them.

No prob. Actually, you don't need to bother picking me up any of the sets right now. My car died last week and I am going to purchase a new vehicle, therefore the funds are going to be extremely limited for many months to come. I am going to have to cut waaaay back in all areas of collecting, including SW. I may even have to end up selling portions of my collection as well. :(

I really do appreciate your offer to help though figrin. If you do come across any of the sets I was looking for, Ringwraiths, Sauron, please get in touch with me and let me know. If I have the extra funds I'll have you snag them for me, if it is of no inconvenience to you, of course. Thanks again.

figrin bran
08-12-2006, 08:49 PM
no problem at all, UKW! sorry about the car and hopefully you'll find a great deal on another one.

JediTricks
09-27-2006, 08:19 PM
I got the notice for 12" Aragorn as Strider today, 10 days until he pre-auths. I was bummed to see he still hasn't sold out, bodes poorly for this line.

Blue2th
09-27-2006, 08:42 PM
That's too bad about them not selling out. I for one am glad I ordered both Strider and Boromir exclusives.. I think SS is going to announce another LOTR figure soon. I read it somewhere or heard it on the podcast. Hope it's Gandalf the Grey.

JediTricks
09-27-2006, 09:09 PM
It turns out it's been sold out, I was mistaken, they still have the order quantity field on the page so I didn't notice the "sold out" notice underneath, it's a weird system.

Don't forget Legolas. (it's funny because he said in the other thread about this that he already did :p)

I'd really like them to do Gandalf the Gray soon (Gandalf the White is cool too, but I want the wizard as we first meet him).

Reefer Shark
09-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Sweet, got my notice for Aragorn as well! I'm really looking forward to this figure.

I agree on Gandalf, give us the Grey first! I wonder what his exclusive would be? Maybe the moth that helped him on Sauraman's (sp?) tower, or some fireworks?

Darth Cruel
09-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Like the Star Wars line, I am getting one each of the exclusive and regular versions to keep in the box and an extra exclusive to open. I am doing my part to keep this line alive. But I fear for it. I do believe that both Aragorn and Legolas have sold out but Boromir lingers.

Edit - Alas I err...Legolas tarries as well! This blows an ill wind onto the field of this line.

Edit Edit - I care not if the craftsmen do lower the count and lift the fee for these baubles. I shall not waiver in my steadfast devotion to this line.

JediTricks
09-28-2006, 02:43 PM
I can't imagine what Gandalf's exclusive accessory would be, not even a little really.

I am doing my part to keep this line alive. But I fear for it. I do believe that both Aragorn and Legolas have sold out but Boromir lingers.

Edit - Alas I err...Legolas tarries as well! This blows an ill wind onto the field of this line.I am not surprised Boromir hasn't sold out, the likeness is way off and the guy has no broad appeal because of his failings in FOTR. I am however completely surprised that regular Legolas hasn't sold out yet, I figured the girls would buy up anything the collectors didn't, I fear the interest in LOTR has already faded. :ermm:

Blue2th
09-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Maybe they all spent their money on that stupid looking Ken as Legolas.:ninja:

RooJay
09-30-2006, 07:46 PM
I can't imagine what Gandalf's exclusive accessory would be, not even a little really.

That giant, dragon-bottle rocket maybe? Gandalf the White's exclusive accessory would be an easy one - the grey cloak he wears into Meduseld (Rohan).

Blue2th
09-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Gandalf the White could have Saruman's Palantir. All they would have to do is make a nice marble. Better yet, make a 1/6 Shadowfax!

RooJay
09-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Gandalf the White could have Saruman's Palantir. All they would have to do is make a nice marble. Better yet, make a 1/6 Shadowfax!

But then what would the exclusive Saruman come with?

JediTricks
10-01-2006, 12:57 AM
You guys dream big! :D Saruman's plantir is a very cool accessory, but it'd have to be his only one to fit the pricepoint even remotely. I remember the misery of Indiana Jones' arabian horse accessory from back in the day, that mofo cost a hundred more than the very expensive figure itself and it wasn't even articulated.

RooJay
10-01-2006, 04:24 PM
You guys dream big! :D Saruman's plantir is a very cool accessory, but it'd have to be his only one to fit the pricepoint even remotely. I remember the misery of Indiana Jones' arabian horse accessory from back in the day, that mofo cost a hundred more than the very expensive figure itself and it wasn't even articulated.

:confused:
You do realize that thing would be no bigger than a large marble right? I mean, it's nowhere near the size of a Sith Infiltrator.;)
Seriously, I know he kept it on a pretty big pedestal in the movie, but the actual Palantir refers to the black sphere that was only about the size of a small bowling ball.

JediTricks
10-01-2006, 09:11 PM
For some reason, I couldn't picture it without the pedestal.

JediTricks
10-11-2006, 03:03 PM
I got Sideshow 12" Aragorn yesterday... wow! That is an amazing figure, even the box is special, everything about that presentation floored me. The likeness isn't perfect, the eyes are a little off, but from the front slightly above or below and from the right it's a very good interpretation. The costume is stunning work, even weathered the right way, I'm glad I'm not one of those collectors who feels compelled to strip it down and redress it, I can't imagine how some of that stuff is going to come off. And the accessories are unbelievable, so much to see, it's all so amazing. I wasn't sure about this set right up until I opened the box, I couldn't afford it and I didn't want to get stuck collecting something else, but this entry floored me.

Hellboy
10-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Wow thats some high praise JT. Did you get the regular or the Exclusive?

I usually get my Sideshow merchandise pretty quickly but my Exclusive didn't ship until today. Really looking forward to this figure.

RooJay
10-12-2006, 04:13 AM
Gots mine yesterday, too! Oh man, am I ever so happy with this figure!!! Yes, the likeness is a bit off, but aren't they all? He's still instantly recognizeable as Viggo. The outfit if truly frikkin' amazing! So much detail, and so much quality. All in all, he was well worth the price as far as I'm concerned. I really, really can't wait for Legolas and Boromir to ship so I can add them to my display. My only regret is that I didn't manage to get to a computer early enough to order the exclusive. I'm hoping to figure out how to sew me a quality custom knock-off using the cloak from my Exclusive Legolas as a guide.

On a side note - I wonder JT, did your Aragorn's belt come knotted on the wrong side like mine did? I had to undo the knot over the buckle and re-tie it; the excess was hanging over the top rather than from below.

JediTricks
10-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Wow thats some high praise JT. Did you get the regular or the Exclusive? This is my first Sideshow figure that isn't Star Wars, maybe they're all this good, but I was way more impressed than I ever expected.

I missed out on the exclusive, didn't even know it had come out until someone posted in THIS thread about it and by then the SEs were gone - I really wanted that cloak too. Now that I have it in person though, I don't actually mind not having the cloak as much, the rest of the figure is very good.

On a side note - I wonder JT, did your Aragorn's belt come knotted on the wrong side like mine did? I had to undo the knot over the buckle and re-tie it; the excess was hanging over the top rather than from below.Yeah, damnit. I doubt I would have ever noticed that if you hadn't mentioned it. :p

JediTricks
01-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Got my 12" Sideshow-exclusive Legolas the other day, just now finally got a chance to check it out. Not as good overall as Strider, but better than the SW figures I have from SSC. The head sculpt is odd, from some angles it's too hard-edged a sculpt (like the brow) but from other angles it's dead-on - this is the sculptor's dillema I suppose, though I got the feeling that this was sculpted from 2d still images from various angles and interpolated in between. The sculpted hair is a bit thick for turning the head too much, which is too bad since those are the poses that I think work best. The body itself has tight joints and works pretty well with the outfit, unlike the hair.

The outfit is nice, the boots seem like they're on backwards but they let the ankles move alright. The gauntlets are a bit troublesome as they're a bit thick for plastic and don't work well with the undershirt or the wrist joint from a lot of angles, but they do slip off to let you fix the undershirt sleeve. The left tunic sleeve on mine isn't sewn at all, not even an attempt was made that I can see, there's even a big thing of unused thread halfway down the side of the seam of the body section, dunno what that's about - it's not in the preview photos - but I suspect he's going back over it.

The accessories are pretty good, but they used dummied sheathes instead of working ones (the dummy knife handles look good, I pulled one out and there's a half inch of fake blade, no way to insert the real knife inside) which is a let-down. The quiver has a lot of real rawhide, the detail is good but it smells quite strongly of leather at first (vegetarians beware). They made a faux knot for the main strap, it's got a hidden metal staple-looking thing which corresponds to the main strap with a tiny hole near the end (this feels like a recipe for disaster, moreso on mine since it's off-center) and the staple can let go pretty easy. The leather holster for the bow isn't run right on mine so the right side threads through only 1 slot instead of the 2, and the holster won't hold the bow at all. The bow is nice but mine is noticably bent. There are 5 arrows, nicely done and straight, I do wish there were more though. The set comes with 3 extra hands, I honestly am not sure which one is which, and the flesh tone is a little off, but they're definitely not generic hands - one of them is an exclusive. The exclusive cloak looks pretty nice, it has a good pattern and is cut well, the hood is a little uncooperative and I haven't tried it with the quiver yet due to my lack of faith in that strap.

All in all, I feel like this is a B+ set which is ok, even for the price, but it's another Sideshow piece I am not entirely confident in, and the sleeve means it's likely to go back.

jonthejedi
01-28-2007, 05:43 AM
I cancelled Legolas in favor of more $$$ to spend on Medicom & Koto. I was less than impressed with Aragorn.

Darth Cruel
02-13-2007, 10:48 PM
I am finally setting up my Sideshow Stuff. Aragorn and Legolas will be displayed soon. I can say that even with the imperfections...I am more than pleased with both of these figures and I feel stupid that I completely forgot to get in on the PPO for Faramir. I am on the wait list, though. And I think I got on soon enough to expect to get one.

JediTricks
02-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Dang, how could I have forgotten to contact SSC about Legolas for 3 whole weeks? I guess I'm just burned out from all the other SSC returns I've had to do lately.

JediTricks
02-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Here's the defective sleeve on my 12" Legolas, SSC wanted a photo so they could just send out a replacement piece rather than paying to send back the entire figure: http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6190/sleeve2pv9.jpg

jedibear
06-09-2007, 11:25 PM
I've only picked up two of the SS LOTR figures so far...

Aragorn & Legolas.

I'm quite pleased with them both. The accessories and various costume additions are a little more fragile than what I've encountered with the SW figures, but they look great and photograph outside really well...

I'm seriously considering adding Faramir to my collection and hope Sideshow does Gandalf the Grey (or the White) soon...

BlueSnags
06-10-2007, 03:39 AM
Hey guys,

I have an extra MISB Balrog that needs to be sold for space reasons. Asking $120 shipped. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.

-Snags

JediTricks
06-10-2007, 03:46 PM

Aragorn & Legolas.

I'm quite pleased with them both. The accessories and various costume additions are a little more fragile than what I've encountered with the SW figures, but they look great and photograph outside really well...

I'm seriously considering adding Faramir to my collection and hope Sideshow does Gandalf the Grey (or the White) soon...
Great photos! Excellent use of scale with Legolas especially, there's nothing in that photo that couldn't exist if it were 6 times bigger (since the figures are 1:6 scale).

RooJay
06-10-2007, 07:24 PM

Aragorn & Legolas.

I also highly reccommend the Boromir figure if you can still find it; definitely the best of the three!

jedibear
06-10-2007, 10:35 PM
And one more I took today of Strider out tracking the wilderness...

Luuuuuuke
06-10-2007, 11:46 PM

That looks awesome.

I passed on these figures. Man, I really miss the Toybiz and Armies of Middle Earth days.

RooJay
06-12-2007, 01:18 AM

Man, does that grass ever grow huge in Middle Earth! Guess it'd have to, what with all those giant beasties running around!:thumbsup:

Jayspawn
01-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Finally recieved my 12" Boromir today! Awesome figure! -been trying to get one for a while now. Had a time getting his belt on, the sword and shield are sweet! The blade is thinner than I thought it would be. Not a complaint but I wished it had the Lorian Cloak which was the Exclsive version. Maybe I can find one online somewhere.

Anyways, I'm really happy with this figure. Tempted to get Aragorn and Legolas.

JediTricks
01-24-2008, 11:33 PM
When the hell are they going to get to Gandalf with this line?!? This ain't like Vader or the other SW armored figures where the materials and designs are in the way, it's just an old guy with some simple clothes and accessories!!!

In LOTR collecting news, on Dec 31st my remaining $50 in Sideshow gift card money was expiring, so I bought the 1/4 scaled crown of the king of the dead with it (it was $40 actually). This is a nice piece, all-metal with a good deco and shape. The stand is nice and simple, it works well without saying "look at me!" I wonder if these would fit on the Premium Format figures. :p

Jayspawn
01-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Glad you like the crown JT. I have Gimli's, Sam and Frodo's Orc Helms from SS's scaled line. Love em!

JediTricks
02-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Why is it that I have to hear about 12" Gandalf the Gray (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=92211) in the SSG forums this morning (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=600429&postcount=100) hours after PPO has started? Damn I hate Sideshow when they do this crap! And it's $90, that's ridiculous! It comes with a really small number of accessories, the SE is kinda meh, and the edition size is TBD. But worst of all, I don't think the likeness is "there" yet. Still, I preordered now because I can always cancel later, but I can't always buy in later.

Jargo
02-17-2008, 04:42 PM
ha, I was just looking at that gandalf figure and thinking damn the figure, I just want that miniature of Balin's 'journal' lol how cool!

RooJay
02-20-2008, 05:59 AM
I'm thinking Sideshow are starting too make a lot of fans feel not too appreciated lately. I've been singing their praises for years (ever since the first 12" Frankenstein,) but even I'm starting to wonder about some of their sales practices. It's not like their figures aren't hard enough to get a hold of as it is, now they're not even telling us when their pre-orders are going live anymore. If I hadn't managed to get in on Gandalf, I would've been really peeved. It would've made my whole Sideshow LOTR collection seem rather pointless not being able to own the whole Fellowship. All this besides the fact that it's just been figure after figure lately what with Indy going live on the same day (and looks like they're starting to creep up in price closer to the much more expensive import figures!) I'm afraid I may have start being much more selective with the figures I buy. As it is I'm going to have to pass on the new General Obi-Wan. My bank account just can't handle all those big-ticket items at once.

Blue2th
02-20-2008, 04:34 PM
The reason I didn't pre-order Gandalf this time is as JT said the likeness just is not "there" or even close in my opinion. They're going to have to do a better job than that. Of course they might tweak the likeness by production. But if the prototype doesn't look good, chances are the production one will be worse, if we go by SS's track record.
I decided my money was going on Obi-Wan this week, which I think Gandalf as shown can't even compete.

I can always get a Gandalf when they show up later at retail or even down the road further.

JediTricks
02-20-2008, 11:40 PM
I totally agree with Roojay, this "no-look" preorder crap ensuring SEs are gone by the time anybody gets there is incredibly rude to loyal customers. The idea that I'm supposed to wait around your site for something to maybe happen is insulting, as if I don't have a thousand and one better things to do with my time, including working several hours to pay for your ridiculously overpriced baubles.

RooJay
02-21-2008, 03:32 AM
I totally agree with Roojay, this "no-look" preorder crap ensuring SEs are gone by the time anybody gets there is incredibly rude to loyal customers. The idea that I'm supposed to wait around your site for something to maybe happen is insulting, as if I don't have a thousand and one better things to do with my time, including working several hours to pay for your ridiculously overpriced baubles.

(Great to see we finally agree on something!:thumbsup:)

While we're on the subject - I've never been happy with the whole pre-order process to begin with. I feel like I'm in a relatively unique situation in that I work graveyard shifts, meaning that in order to buy these things when they usually offer them (10am to noon on Thursdays or Fridays) I have to either lose sleep or else arrange for someone else to order them for me. I can't imagine how inconvenient it is for those other collectors have actually have to be at work during that time and don't have access to their site! I don't suppose they could ever be bothered to take pre-orders at a time when people are actually home?

JediTricks
10-09-2008, 06:08 AM
Got the email that 12" Gandalf s coming in 10-12 days. Perfectly timed, no previous notice, no 20-day notice they claim they always use, so I'm just thrilled to have to scramble yet again. I'm sure another Sideshow figure I preordered will be bombing on me 2 days later as well, with even less advance notice.

RooJay
10-10-2008, 03:15 AM
But hey - the good news is that Gandalf is finally coming! Personally, I'm more or less caught up with just about every other line I collect (except for the new GI Joes) so he's coming at a good time for me.

JediTricks
10-13-2008, 04:15 AM
Yeah, totally, it'll be great to finally have it. I just wish it wasn't SUCH a surprise that I have to worry about whether I can afford it.

JediTricks
10-31-2008, 12:53 AM
Got my 12" Sideshow Gandalf the Grey, very nice, reviewed it in the sideshow LOTR thread: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=645774#post645774

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-25-2010, 02:32 PM
alright, so it looks like THE HOBBIT movie is finally happening. So, since Toybiz is sadly dead (or I think they're now Marvel Toys?!?), who would you like to see pick up a line for this flick? Suggestions?

jonthejedi
10-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Neca would be my 1st choice, def. not Playmates after the Star Trek debacle.

RooJay
10-26-2010, 04:29 AM
Neca does nice sculpts, but I demand playability and enormous variety in my LOTR figures. Hasbro is the only company that I think can presently offer that, though I should think it goes without saying that I'll be wanting them to pick up the license for the original trilogy as well.

Blue2th
10-26-2010, 02:02 PM
...That is the important question, what size? Do they continue with the 6" figures for all those people who have bought almost everything LOTR Toy Biz made and is a popular size for Neca and others like Diamond Comics Star Trek, or do they go for the more popular 3.75 which is Hasbro's trademark size of Star Wars and Gi Joe?

I'm one of those who bought almost every 6" LOTR figure, but I almost wish I would have opted for the AOME size because of the playsets. Which going for the 3.75 size we might get some more toys like playsets besides just figures. Of course we all know how that turned out for Star Trek Playmates when they tried to jump on that bandwagon, so the point of 3.75 maybe mute.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-26-2010, 07:48 PM
I wouldn't mind getting rid of most of my LOTR figures. I'd probably just keep the main characters, a couple of the gift packs, and the 12 inch figures. I opened most of the first ones in the large green packaging, and a few of the Two Towers packaging as well. Everything else is still carded.

RooJay
10-27-2010, 03:53 AM
Got to be 3 3/4" (since they for sure won't be by Toy-Biz, they're not going to be a match in style anyway) so we'll be more likely to see more of the larger characters, and they'll be able to produce them much closer to the appropriate scale. Not to mention the possibility of playsets and smaller diorama pieces, and the reality that there's probably not any company out there that's going to produce any decent variety in larger scales. If we get them in six inch scale or larger, I sincerely doubt any toy company would put out more than the basic characters, and most of the six inch scale collectors already have those. Besides, the smaller scale takes up so much less space.

Blue2th
10-27-2010, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't mind getting rid of most of my LOTR figures. I'd probably just keep the main characters, a couple of the gift packs, and the 12 inch figures. I opened most of the first ones in the large green packaging, and a few of the Two Towers packaging as well. Everything else is still carded.
I have them all, including the gift packs give or take a few htf single figures, but most of them are still in their packages. Too dang big to display. I'll probably end up getting rid of most of them and keep the giant Neca Balrog and the electronic "You shall not pass!" Gandalf for some kind of diorama...or not. :rolleyes: heck got no room but it's a cool thought.

Got to be 3 3/4" (since they for sure won't be by Toy-Biz, they're not going to be a match in style anyway) so we'll be more likely to see more of the larger characters, and they'll be able to produce them much closer to the appropriate scale. Not to mention the possibility of playsets and smaller diorama pieces, and the reality that there's probably not any company out there that's going to produce any decent variety in larger scales. If we get them in six inch scale or larger, I sincerely doubt any toy company would put out more than the basic characters, and most of the six inch scale collectors already have those. Besides, the smaller scale takes up so much less space.
These days when putting out a lot of plastic no one will buy is risky. Though even 3 3/4 is a waste if the movie sucks like Airbender and Prince of Persia. (most of the buyers for POP were military collectors looking for terrorists or Indy collectors looking for middle eastern types I suspect)

It's doubtful that the Hobbit will be a failure and I think no matter what size they do it will do relatively well.
They could do multiple sizes like Zizzle and Neca did for POTC figures. We got a giant Black Pearl ship out of that deal.

bigbarada
10-27-2010, 02:44 PM
The Toy Biz LOTR figures were just too big for me to collect and I never bought that many of them. So, I'm hoping they restart the line in the 3.75" format.

However, the only thing that really has me excited about the possibilities of a Hobbit toy line is the potential for army-building Dwarfs. So, with that in mind, maybe a continuation of the 6" scale wouldn't be a big problem.

Although, most likely, whichever company acquires the license is going to figure out the most cost-effective way to produce Smaug and then scale the line according to that.

El Chuxter
01-22-2013, 01:25 AM
I feel pretty sorry for all the LOTR collectors. I saw the Hobbit figures and actually paid some attention to them for the first time the other day. They're not only much smaller, but they look like carp. They could've at least kept them in the larger size for the sake of continuity with the previous toyline.

I got a few scattered LOTR figures, but no way will I get any of these abominations.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-22-2013, 02:23 AM
Actually, I think I prefer the smaller Hobbit figures to the larger LOTR figures. I kind of wish I hadn't gotten all of those LOTR figures. I did get some of the Hobbit figures, but so far I have only seen them at K-Mart. I don't know what plans they have for further figures.

RooJay
01-22-2013, 09:56 AM
I've got all but a couple of the Hobbit 2-packs. I think they're pretty amazing, especially for coming from a company new to the action figure game! I also definitely prefer the smaller size, and I can't imagine as how coming from a completely different company these should've been expected to be in the same scale as the LOTR figures ToyBiz put out. Although there is also a small line of six inch scale figures as well. The target audience for these things is not likely to remember, or even to have seen the LOTR figures. Besides, my sincere hope is that this leads to an all new line of 3 3/4" scale LOTR figures. That's what I've wanted from the beginning. If only Bridge Direct could hop to it and start producing some new product!

Maradona
01-22-2013, 08:07 PM
I wanted to like the Hobbit figures much more than I did. I hope that next year's assortments are better.

JediTricks
01-24-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm surprised to hear anything positive about this line, it looks really chintzy in the sculpting and molding and paint, very simple and disappointing execution every time I look at them. The 6" line also seems very bulky and not up to the standards of the day, not even ot the standards of the Toy Biz LOTR line which it should have tried to emulate since that collector-themed line had legs and this line is dying on the pegs. Nobody looks recognizable in package. It seems like a kid-grab with collector pricing, but it also seems like the chinese factory probably is one of Hasbro's vendors and trying to borrow that type of design without the level of checks and balances that Hasbro demands.

Maradona
01-24-2013, 08:23 PM
All the figures strike me as soon to be readily available on the Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls circuit.

JediTricks
01-24-2013, 08:30 PM
All the figures strike me as soon to be readily available on the Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls circuit.Ditto that!

figrin bran
01-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Let's not forget, the early waves of Toybiz FOTR did not exactly fly off shelves and were marred by action gimmicks.

Maradona
01-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Let's not forget, the early waves of Toybiz FOTR did not exactly fly off shelves and were marred by action gimmicks.

Queue robot voice: "That equals truth."

Hopefully, the execution of the Tolkein figures improves to Toybiz quality, though those halcyon days sadly seem to be irrepeatably a part of the past.

RooJay
01-25-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm surprised to hear anything bad about the line. I fully expected them to be trash - particularly given that they were coming from a company with no real proven track record with action figures. Once I had them in hand, I was very pleasantly surprised. I find them to be nearly on par with Star Wars Vintage, or at least far closer than expected, and I definitely see them as being of a higher quality than the majority of Marvle Universe figures. The packaging is sort of bland and uninspiring, so they don't really pop on the shelves as much as they could, but the figures themselves are really well done, in my opinion. I was especially surprised at the level and design of the articulation. They seem to be a hit in my area - the TRU nearest me sold out within a week, and the TRU closest to my job received much more product and is now nearly sold out as well. I'm actually having trouble finding the last three pieces I need (I'd rather not resort to buying them online if I can avoid it.)

JediTricks
01-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Let's not forget, the early waves of Toybiz FOTR did not exactly fly off shelves and were marred by action gimmicks.Sure, but those sculpts and paint apps were still pretty good overall.

jpins
03-20-2013, 03:13 AM
I was at two K-Marts today and they had The Hobbit figures on clearance with an extra 50% off the clearance price. I got the 6" figures for $4.00, the 3 3/4 singles for $2.00, the 3 3/4 two packs for $4.00 and the beast pack for $5.00. One still had the cube from when these were released last year and it was mostly still full. I didn't think too much of these when I first saw them, but was more than happy to buy them at these prices. Right now K-Mart has all clearance toys at half off the clearance price. I saw a number of the K-Mart AT-STs at one store for $15.50. This might be worth checking out if your near a K-Mart.

OC47150
03-20-2013, 06:15 PM
The Hobbit figures have some customizing potential. The bodies aren't the greatest but the head sculpts are cool!

JediTricks
03-21-2013, 04:22 PM
That's a great find, thanks for the news. I knew I should have hit up kmart yesterday when I was in the area.