PDA

View Full Version : Captain Typho's uncle is Captain Panaka!!!

GNT
11-02-2001, 11:03 PM
And I'm not kidding according to Homing Beacon #47!!! If you havent read the article on Jay Laga'aia here is the proof!:

Typho follows the tradition of his uncle, Captain Panaka, in guarding Padmé Amidala's safety.

Although who couldn't see this happening :rolleyes: Oh boy what next?

Thoughts and opinions?

Co Jo-Da
11-03-2001, 01:34 AM
I sure hope not.

bigbarada
11-03-2001, 01:35 AM
I really don't see this as a big problem, Panaka and Typho are relatively minor characters in the prequels and virtual nobodies when you look at the entire saga. Although I do think Typho looks much cooler than Panaka, it's the eye-patch.

JediTricks
11-03-2001, 07:56 AM
Next, we'll learn that Typho is Lando's father... oh the shame of it all! I just realize that I now have to put "just kidding" here because it is not hard to believe that Lucas is capable of this.:rolleyes:

The 'Xir
11-03-2001, 04:20 PM
so what, who cares if he's his uncle! I'm sure Lucas planned on using Panaka as Padme's bodyguard throughout the trilogy, but when what's his name quit, Lucas had to go another route!
Being a dark film, maybe Lucas wanted to surround padme with as many friends/confidents as possible, and show the strength of those friendships! However, with what's his name quitting, now instead of Padme's confidence with just Panaka it will be a relationship of confidence with his family! Just because something Lucas does maybe mundane or repetitious, doesn't mean there isn't a method to his madness! After all isn't this what Star Wars is all about: friendship, hope, family, faith and love!

GNT
11-04-2001, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
IAlthough I do think Typho looks much cooler than Panaka, it's the eye-patch.

Girls like the eye-patch,just like they love the car :)

Wolfwood319
11-04-2001, 06:46 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Lucas HAD planned to use Hugh Quarshe (I think that's his name) as Panaka throughout 1-3, but he quit, and Lucas needed someone else. This Uncle connection just ties up that loose end I guess. Its not that big of a deal.

Co Jo-Da
11-04-2001, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
If I'm not mistaken, Lucas HAD planned to use Hugh Quarshe (I think that's his name) as Panaka throughout 1-3, but he quit, and Lucas needed someone else. This Uncle connection just ties up that loose end I guess. Its not that big of a deal.

That makes it sound much better...

master jedi
11-04-2001, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319

What I don't get is why the heck would anybody not want to be in another Star Wars movie.

The 'Xir
11-04-2001, 09:24 PM
Yeah I think that's what I said! //

Hmmm why would anyone in there right mind not want to be in SW movie?!! I have no idea, but maybe stereotyping I guess!

Jargo
11-04-2001, 10:00 PM
It's a little too convenient. All tied up nicely thank you for asking... Why does everything need explaining? Where's the mystique? It's ten years since Panaka's day with Padme. Maybe the buggar just retired and the Naboo employed a new bodyguard or something, very mundane like civic duties are. I really hate to be talked down to like this in movies and plays and whatever else. I always have hated everything being sorted out so tidily ever since I was a kid. kids will see through this in a trice. Kids are more cleverer than Lucas is crediting them with being. And if they hadn't found out that Typho is the nephew of Panaka they would have made up their own reasons if they had a chance. Seems Lucas has robbed kids of a little bit of imagining here. Big fat hairy shame for the kids. :(

GNT
11-05-2001, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by master jedi

What I don't get is why the heck would anybody not want to be in another Star Wars movie.

here are some reasons:

1. Too much blue screens, talking to character who aren't there!
2. Not alot of lines,why be in it if you have 2 lines?
3. crappy figure that doesn't even look like you
4. If everybody hates you(ahum Ahmed Best)
5. If your figure becomes a pegwarmer and stops new figures hitting the shelves :)

JediTricks
11-05-2001, 02:43 AM
Quarshie is a stage actor and probably needs a lot of direction, but unfortunately, Lucas is the anti actor's-director. He's said so, many of his actors have said so, and watching him do it, you can see this. I think between the negative career impact (Star Wars has made many folks famous, but others very un-famous) and the frustrating direction situations, it isn't surprising to see Quarshie leave. Supposedly, the last straw for him was when Lucas refused to tell him how much he was in the movie, he didn't want to be in the first 10 minutes and then killed off, but Lucas refused to say.

As for this "uncle" stuff, if they don't explain it on screen, then I don't care that much, but really, there's no need to make everybody related in SW, it's a big universe and after 10 years, people occasionally DO get new jobs!

Wolfwood319
11-05-2001, 03:31 AM
I know a lot of "unknown actors'' who wouldn't want to be in a Star Wars movie. Take the original trilogy for example, with all do respect to the actors and there incredible talent, other than Harrison Ford, none of them had big roles in big movies after that. And just about every role they were in after that was in someway an ode to Star Wars. None of them became big stars except Harrison Ford.

Now in E1, they got mostly well known actors for the big roles who had made there mark for previous movies. But, in Hugh Quarshe's case, he'll never be known as someone other than, "the captain guy from Episode 1." It does impact acting careers, or rather, hinders acting careers.

master jedi
11-05-2001, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by GNT

here are some reasons:
1. Too much blue screens, talking to character who aren't there!
2. Not alot of lines,why be in it if you have 2 lines?
3. crappy figure that doesn't even look like you
4. If everybody hates you(ahum Ahmed Best)
5. If your figure becomes a pegwarmer and stops new figures hitting the shelves :)

1. Who cares? At least you'll be in a Star Wars movie.

2. Same answer as 1.

3. At least you'll have an action figure.

4. I kind of like Ahmed Best and Jar Jar. Also look at answer to #1

5. That's life plus look at answer to #3.

Jedi Clint
11-05-2001, 06:29 PM
Actually, I remember Hugh in Nightbreed.

bigbarada
11-05-2001, 07:25 PM
The more I think about this idea the more I like it. Kind of like the old days when sons carried on their father's work. If your dad was a stonemason, chances were pretty good you'd be a stonemason. I guess professions run in the family on Naboo also, so Panaka's dad was probably on the Queen's security force and so was Panaka and his brother and his nephew, Typho. Which makes you wonder, why Panaka quit, or do all new Queens select a new head of security? Kind of like cabinet members for the President.

GNT
11-10-2001, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Which makes you wonder, why Panaka quit, or do all new Queens select a new head of security? Kind of like cabinet members for the President.

He probably died in action between EP1 and 2 :(

Tycho
11-10-2001, 06:52 AM
I completely like what BigBarada wrote and agree.

Also, Panaka could have

1) retired (how old was he supposed to be. Hugh Quarshie looks young for the actor's real age, anyway. I've read Quarshie is in his upper 40's or low 50's even, but he looks like he's in his mid to late 30's to me).

2) stayed head of THE QUEEN's security, not the Senator's.
Padme is in the Senate now, not on the throne.

3) Panaka might have been killed in action (see Tycho's Tangent below)

Next, things like Typho being Panaka's nephew may never come up in the script. It might just be in the character bible. So what are you complaining about?

Where was it explained in The Phantom Menace (in the movie) that Adi Gallia is Corellian and that she knows her parents and they are the Senators or some kind of Ambassadors for Corellia?
But it is part of her character bible. Forgive me, but I thought she just sat there and once looked at Eeth Koth.

Where in the Classic Trilogy (in the movies) do they say that the Emperor's name is Palpatine? So Typho is Panaka's nephew. Can that be true and still not be in the movie? Otherwise Typho will just say something like "It's an honor to serve you like my Uncle did." (personally, I'd like to 'serve her' like Anakin did ; )

I seriously think Han Solo's origins might be explained by him being a lost clone (maybe from a different line than Jango - maybe (with some exaggeration, not) But I think that's an E3 spoiler, if it's true, and that's why Harrison wasn't cast to run around in a blue helmet... [I read Ford liked TPM and said he'd do a cameo in a new SW film - but cameo doesn't mean co-star]

Jango will possibly have a little more screen time than Darth Maul, but not that much more.

Tycho's Tangent winds back towards being sort of on-subject...

If Panaka is killed in action, what was he doing? Why is Padme a Senator? Perhaps they were trying to bring intergalactic justice to the Trade Federation. Nute is in the new movie. What did he get? Sentence suspended? A slap on the wrist? For all the death he caused? (mostly off-screen).

Padme can't seek justice in the galaxy as the Queen, once the Federation leaves her system and her jurisdiction, so for justice she moves on to run for the Senate.

I for one would like to see the "adventures of Padme Naberrie" done for Scholastic Books, or Dark Horse Comics. A novel might be cool, but I like the young readers' gimmicks, the way Sarah Michelle Gellar gets marketed. More Natalie, please!