PDA

View Full Version : Promotion On the Silver R2

Prince Xizor
11-15-2002, 03:33 PM
I don't know how it is at anybody elses TRU, but the one I went to, the promotion for the Silver R2D2 was less than spectacular. Except for like 2 little signs that were on the DVD display that said "Free Silver R2D2 When you purchase $19.99 or more of Star Wars Products!" there was nothing else to indicate that they had any. When I was at the display of figures, I asked a associate if they had any left, and she looked at me like I was speaking in Huttese. She said to me something like "What's a Silver R2D2?", so I had to explain it to her, and she called another associate who again didn't know anything, and then a dorky looking kid who also works there came over and declared they had plenty left. So I picked up the Ask Yoda for $20 and went to the booth. At the booth I expected a sign or something stating that this is where you redeem you reciept for your free R2, but there was nothing. Luckily the lady behind the counter knew what I was talking about and she grabbed one out of this bucket they had laying on the floor.

Needless to say I am not to happy about they way that TRU is handleing this promotion.

OC47150
11-15-2002, 03:46 PM
There was something in that week's sales ad. However, it was stuck in the middle of the page (along the fold) and was small. I took a copy of the ad with me just in case.

Masterjedi73
11-15-2002, 03:58 PM
One TRU I went to had them all in a big basket in front of the other figures (poor cards) and another had them behind the customer service desk. The think I hated was that the selection at both of them was horrible....there was nothing I wanted to buy for $19.99. I ended up just getting some figures for my kid to play with......still, I wasn't impressed.

JangoFart
11-15-2002, 04:09 PM
I agree. It has been a terrible "promotion."

On the "plus" side, they'll end up on the pegs for a buck or two in two months because they didn't do a good enough job of letting people know they exist. (Well, people other than the nerds and geeks who populate this site. Present company INcluded :) )

J

ChemOx
11-15-2002, 06:08 PM
I agree, their advertising of the promotion is very poor.....the TRU where I got mine didnt have a single ad, nothing about it. Had the ask, and just like you, they were completely dumbfounded and didnt know what a silver R2 was....somebody else had to help me.

Jedi Master Silas
11-15-2002, 07:13 PM
I agree too. My TRU didnt have anything indicating there even was a R2 promo figure. We bought 4 figures went up to the counter and the girl didnt know what we were talking about at all. I tryed to tell her and she said oh that big R2 isnt free its 100 or 200 dollars.I said thats not it and described it. Then she left the register and came back and said its 100. I'm glad my husband was with me because I was getting ticked off and started to tell the girl how stupid she was. (I had worked 2 back to back 12 hour shifts got in the door and went to TRU so I was in a crappy mood anyway). Then finally I got the attention of another lady who finally brought me an r2 that looked like crap..the card was bend in half like someone folded it. I said what the hell is this??? I want one that doesnt look like it went through a tornado. I went through the box they had and they all were awful. They said we dont have anymore. I said all you got was one box?? I'm sure they didnt just get one box with 12-20 figs in it. They said yes..so I picked the best one..told them they were &%$#ing idiots ...and left. I have a wicked little mouth when I'm disrespected by idiots. My TRU people hate me since my friend who was manager left the company.....I dont go there normally...I drive to the one further away but I was tired as heck.

Turbowars
11-15-2002, 07:17 PM
I hate TRU. The same thing happened here in CA. I did get 5 total. They never scanned R2????

Prince Xizor
11-15-2002, 08:48 PM
Yeah, they never scanned the R2 they gave me. They just handed me one and wrote "Got Free R2" on my receipt. I was surprised they did that much.

gibbyhayes
11-16-2002, 12:34 PM
Sorry guys, I stopped by my TRU by chance on tuesday. Not only did they have a whole new wave of figs I hadn't seen (everyone as pilot, plus Maul and Attack annie), but then a cute (rare but true) TRU employee saw me and offered up info about the R2 promo (I had no idea)! Sure beats bringing the flyer.

QLD
11-16-2002, 12:38 PM
They sure didn't promote it very much.......but I think that works to our advantage.

Jedi Drew
11-16-2002, 02:24 PM
The jerk-off's at the TRU by me- never scaned or marked on my receipt that I received the R2. The reason I say "jerk-off's" is because along with other people on this board-I had to wait till they knew what the promo was (ie. goto the manager find out what's what ect.) :crazed: :crazed: TRU along with Hasblow get your acts together-not only with SW but with all your toys. O.K. I vented......:D :D

JediCole
11-16-2002, 02:46 PM
The first day of the promotion (Sunday), between myself and a few others who went looking, we found differences between each TRU location. Two of them had the figures behind the counter or in the manager's office and would "sign off" on the receipt that the figure was received. One had empowered their checkers with cases at the register from which a figure was removed and scanned after an appropriate purchase. And by far the worst, and least informed, was a location where a friend of mine had to argue that a "purchase of $19.99" was NOT the same as "a single item costing $19.99"! The manager swore blind that the ad clearly stated that you had to purchase a Star Wars item with a ticket price of at least $19.99. And as those of us who went to TRU that day and saw the lacklustre selection know full well that there were priced at or around $19.99 (I saw only the Republic Gunship, a few 12" figures, and the 12" Luke/Taun Taun that would fit that bill)!
All in all the blame for how poorly the promotion was handled must rest solely on the shoulders of TRU managment, both corporate and at the store level. Misinformation or more importantly lack of information ruled the day and TRU did little to promote their own promotion. And they put little effort into stocking up thier stores with appealing product to help meet the demand for this great item. In the end they could have sold a lot more toys if they put a modicum of effort (like perhaps having a big poster sign for folks to see what the promo figure looked like). In the end, it seemed most shoppers on Sunday were there for some Yu Gi Oh promotion!
And to further underscore the lack of promotion, I stopped by one of my local TRU's on Wednesday this week (a week and a half after the initial promotion) and found the Unleased Mace Windu and Darth Tyranus at better than Kay Bee prices. And since they still had them, I got another R2. This of course begged the question, did ANYBODY who really WANTED one get turned away at a TRU because they were "sold out"?

Darth Sidious
11-16-2002, 06:57 PM
I agree that they weren't advertised very well, but as previously stated, that is a good thing for us. We do know it exists. As for trouble with employees, I had none. I got my Deluxe Jango, Pilot Jango, and CA Padme today and asked about it. The lady at the register knew what I was talking about, but she didn't know if they had any left, so she asked someone else who said they did have some left. She went to this room where, I assume they were neatly packed in a crate, and got me one. It's pretty damned close to mint (There is a small wrinkle, not a crease, but you REALLY have to examine it very, very closely to see it). I'm glad it was this easy. :) The picture of it is my avatar currently.

LTBasker
11-16-2002, 09:04 PM
Gah, the SW section at TRU is like...just 10 feet across. Filled with old figures (background 3PO anyone?) and only a few new things. Mainly Dooku Unleashed, AF waves 1 and 2, Gunship, Arena, X-wing and Landspeeder.

I got a couple Landspeeders tonight so I got a couple R2's (one to have loose and one to have carded), bad part is that I dunno if I want to open them, they look great! The only promo stuff for the R2 that my TRU had though was some printed pieces of paper in the SW section about how 19.99+ gets you a free Silver R2. Not very noticeable though since they're just basic pieces of paper.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
11-16-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
The only promo stuff for the R2 that my TRU had though was some printed pieces of paper in the SW section about how 19.99+ gets you a free Silver R2. Not very noticeable though since they're just basic pieces of paper.

I agree; I went to a TRU yesterday and the small paper about the silver R2 was taped onto a figure. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy...:zzz:

Banthaholic
11-16-2002, 09:35 PM
I was not overly impressed by Toys R Us's knowledge of the promotion. When I called they weren't sure what I was talking about. When I came in the clerk had no idea of the promotion, if I wouldn't have brought it up, I wouldn't have gotten one.

I know that there are many sales going on at once, but I believe management should have at least sent out a memo, made an announcement at a meeting, or anything!

It's funny how newsboard readers seem to know more about store promotions than the actual workers do.

A similar thing happened to me earlier this year when if you bought over $50 in merchenddise you received a free EP1 VHS set, plus an EP @ comic book. The first TRU, I had to ask for the comic book which they needed to ask the manager about, and at the time I didn't know about the VHS, I spent $60.
An hour later at another TRU, I spent $67, and was offered the free VHS, and found out it was a TRU promotion and I shoul have received one earlier. Although I didn't need another copy it's the lack of consitency that ticks me off!

The 'Xir
11-17-2002, 03:58 AM
My TRU(which I worked at last christmas to help out) sucks for getting new figures in, but most of the employees are SW geeks, so when I was talking to a couple of the associates about what kinda deal they were gonna have for the DVD release, they told me about the R2 promotion! So I quickly went back and scooped up a 12" Zam Wessell and a carded figure and went to one of the cashiers I knew really well, and she ended up giving me two of the Figures, just because I'm cool like that! ;)

Actually they were telling me that each store across the country was suppossed to get 60 of the silver R2's! Now how true that is I don't know but that is how many they said they received!