PDA

View Full Version : Different Size Figures

Masterjedi73
11-16-2002, 05:45 PM
I have always been a fan of the 3 3/4" figures....ever since I got my first ones (vader and obi-wan) when I was 4 (1978 or so...I still have those too). I still collect them, but I'm noticing some things.

The other figures that are coming out now (star trek, lotr, harry potter etc...) are much better. I like the size of them a lot more, too. There's more detail and more that can be done with them....they're easier to stand up, too.

I'm pretty positive, though, that Hasbro won't increase the size of the figs....I think it would produce a small rebellion. lol.

Opinions?

Deoxyribonucleic
11-16-2002, 10:12 PM
I like the larger ones like movie maniacs and such but I'm partial to the 3 3/4" that hasbro does and they are getting so much more detailed that they are rivaling(sp? and I"m too lazy to look it up) the larger figs in detail too.

I just gotta say this and no offense to you at all Masterjedi, but I think those harry potter figures are the ugliest hunks of plastic ever made and they lack anything remotely in detail! They look like figures that were made in the 80's and early 90's...ACK! Just my opinion though :) nothing more!

Jayspawn
11-17-2002, 12:58 AM
I'd have to agree with you Deoxyribonucleic. The Harry Potter figures are horrible. They're stuck in one pose!! And have useless articulation!

Masterjedi73
11-17-2002, 09:57 AM
you are right about the HP figures. I thought about that after I posted the message.....I should state for the record, too, that I don't own any of the HP figures! lol

still, it would be nice to see some large SW figs.....more than the unleashed (which I think look really bad)

JEDIpartner
11-17-2002, 10:48 AM
I think there are too many SW product lines at this point. Takara, I think, Did a very small selection of Figures that were based on the Kenner line back in 1978-1979 and those didn't do very well. They were like 6" tall. I saw them when I was at Narita Airport in 1979 and was really confused. They discontinued them pretty quickly...

I think SW collectors really have a large selection to choose from and a "mid-sized" line would just muck things up even further.

Turbowars
11-17-2002, 11:26 AM
If Hasbro goes with a 6" figure, we all are s c r ewed! More $$$, less detail and for me no more collecting.

Jargo
11-17-2002, 04:07 PM
What the hell were those POTF larger statue like figures called? They had good detail but were useless as figures other than display pieces. IMHO the 12" figures are absolutely the worst out of scale hidious lumps of plastic out there. They're so disproportionate: chunky fat short legs, tiny feet and massive hands, massive heads and fat necks and the costumes don't appear to fit right. And they cost sooooooo much!
Mr. Lucas is apparently very happy with the 3 scale figures so I can't see much more diversification than the display oriented unleashed line. Depends how far the 'emerging teen market' has emerged and whether or not the unleashed stuff has caught the short attention of those teens as to whether or not the unleashed line lives into the near future.
Personally, I think Hasbro should capitalise on the strength of the smaller scale and really go to town with it. Forget the larger stuff and get the smaller stuff right first time by putting more time, effort and money into it all. Getting ships and playsets right, getting more articulation into more figures. Giving figures the ability to be posed in those wild stances as well as more neutral ones and not simply making a single pose figure for each pose. They've shown us they're capable of getting more than one type of articulation into figures that small so combining all that into super figures would be preferable to starting over each time. Losing the quickfire or slashing attack or accessory flinging features would allow them to go for more articulation and give a kid something that actually works and is interesting to handle and play with long term. Look at the flying Geonosian for instance, if Hasbro had made the mechanism operable from the head pushing into the neck/body rather than that huge lever in the back it would have looked so much nicer and tidied the workings away completely. Instead they had to make the figure wider than it needed to be and it has an unsightly stick out of its back. A little more thought in the design stage would have solved that. A little more care for the whole line including the sub par deluxe stuff and the plaudits would have poured in. Instead of which we sit here and wait for Hasbro's next 'brain wave' idea and contraption that will not sell well and clog pegs. Whoever is coming up with all these ideas needs to let go and walk away from this game. Get someone in who can empathise with what we as the collecting consumer want to see and will willingly plonk down cash for. As well as engaging the imaginations of kids coming into the hobby.

Turbowars
11-17-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
What the hell were those POTF larger statue like figures called? They had good detail but were useless as figures other than display pieces.
If you mean POTF2, then they would be The Epic Force line. If there was a statue line in the POTF, I have no idea.

Jargo
11-17-2002, 04:29 PM
Those are they. Failed miserably didn't they. I still see them clunking around clogging up space at online retailers. Going cheap as can be because they basically suck pants big time. So what did hasbro do rather than improve the articulation of those older larger figures they went and made a line of figures with even wilder poses that are just dust colectors you can't dust. In actual fact they seem to get more accurate detail into the smaller scale figures. That's where their strength lies so they should stop messing about and concentrate on what they do best.