PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Shirtless Maul?

Jayspawn
11-03-2001, 12:50 AM
I finally saw Shirtless Darth Maul at EB today. He looks very cool but...well personally I thought it looked better in the pictures. I'm still glad we have him and I hope this is the last of Maul figures for a while.

What do you guys think?

JediTricks
11-03-2001, 10:22 AM
The word "crizappy" comes to my mind. I picked this figure up less than 12 hours ago even though I was totally not gonna, and I regret it. The paint on the tattoos isn't even, some places it's lighter, some it's thicker, and the arms pop apart in 4 places! Not only that, but supposing you DON'T pop the arms apart, the danged tattoos are so complicated that moving the articulation around makes the tats become unaligned and goofy looking. Not only all of this, but the giant thick plastic "skirt" keeps the legs from moving nearly at all, and they're only articulated at the hip. Add to all that the fact that this figure is sculpted in an odd pose so that there are very few ways to pose this guy, and the droid is a hollow, boring dud, and you have a very disappointing piece of junk IMO, a waste of $10.

JediCole
11-03-2001, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Jayspawn
...I hope this is the last of Maul figures for a while.

I guess you haven't seen the hot list of new figures for 2001! We haven't seen the last of Darth Maul it seems. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hasbro drop Mauly into the next Fan's Choice poll!

Anyway, I have yet to find any of the Deluxe, though Maul is last on my list. I am planning to buy at least two of each, one to open, one to keep on the card. EXCEPT for Maul. I will buy one to keep on the card and that is all. I really have no use for EU or EU related figures in my personal collection. The only reason I am buying one at all is to have a complete set for the carded collection. I can't wait to have Amanaman at last! The new Luke and Leia are great too, especially the Luke. I've waited almost 20 years for a Bacta Tank playset! Now the long wait for FX-7!

Mandalorian Candidat
11-03-2001, 11:45 AM
I guess the shirtless Maul is OK. They should have put in nipple rings so he would look better for club-hopping.

Tycho
11-03-2001, 03:02 PM
I really do want More Expanded Universe characters - from the comics and the books.

Darth Maul was not really who I had in mind.

Important characters who have never been made before would be a lot more appreciated.

Incidently, on the main Star Wars site, check out these biographical profiles of Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin Solo, not to mention Mara Jade-Skywalker (also covering Ben Skywalker - you didn't know Luke had a son, did you?), Kyle Katarn, Kyp Durron, and Corran Horn.

Official Lucasfilm Biographies for Skywalker / Solo families, and Selected new Jedi (http://www.starwars.com/databank/news/2001/10/news20011031.html)

But while we're talking about Darth Maul, I read his comic, and his novel. I seem to recall a Jedi padawan Darsh Assant, her master Anoon Bondarra (a Twi'lek Jedi), Lorn Pavon - a scoundrel, his assassin droid I-Five, a Nightsister Mighella, and Black Sun's Mastermind Lex, a never-realized Jedi.

These characters are wonderful, though petty next to the importance of say, Jaina Solo, but all more what "Expanded Universe fans" need more than another Darth Maul (or at least one without any series companions in the line for him to fight).

How about a Yuuzhan Vong Warrior? It'd be about time!

bigbarada
11-03-2001, 03:17 PM
Ben Skywalker? What's next Qui-Gonn Skywalker? Yoda Skywalker? Geez, can't the EU writers show a little imagination?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-03-2001, 05:20 PM
He has nice pecs. He must work out.

JEDIpartner
11-05-2001, 02:22 PM
...uhhhh- it's better than a pantless Wuher?

I haven't seen it yet, but gauging from the pictures, I am not too impressed. Besides- I've said it once and I'll say it ten thousand times... I HATE stilted action poses that limit overall poseability and playability!:mad:

MisterPL
11-05-2001, 03:13 PM
I like mine. I like the split-apart sabre, the dynamic poses, and the training droid is pretty cool, too. This is easily my favorite Maul.

Great face sculpt, better-than-standard articulation, and his flaired skirt makes him look more like an "action" figure than a "Beer me, please" Cantina figure. Vastly superior to other Mauls. Certainly different from the first Deluxe Maul.

I'd recommend getting one.

Lobito
11-05-2001, 06:05 PM
Just another DM, with new stuff...shirtless...with training droid...Only for collectors...like myself...ha!!:eek: :D

The thing is that we would all like to see members of the council...or a few more ewoks instead of Shirtless Maul's and...oh well u get the idea.:cool:

Pellaeon
11-05-2001, 06:12 PM
Well, I haven't seen the Leia and Amanaman yet, but I would guess that the shirtless Maul will be the heaviest shelfwarmer of the 4. The Luke Bacta is well worth the $9.98 I paid at K-Mart. The Attack droid with Maul is pretty cool, it looks like a baby version of the original probe droid. Maul himself looks like a figure for Bruce Lee fans. He looks like a tatooed horny Bruce Lee.

I can't wait for Amanaman....

derek
11-17-2001, 01:19 AM
they can call this maul a deluxe figure, but i disagree. compaired to the luke in bacta tank, maul is just a regular figure with a big accessory. not anywhere near being "deluxe"

JediTricks
11-17-2001, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by derek
they can call this maul a deluxe figure, but i disagree. compaired to the luke in bacta tank, maul is just a regular figure with a big accessory. not anywhere near being "deluxe" You're being awfully generous to that sparring droid, calling it a "big accessory". That thing is a hollow piece of junk, the stand contains a super-lame "action gimmick", and it's not even all that sizable. Phooey, I say.

derek
11-17-2001, 04:07 AM
yea, JT the whole thing sucks, even i, the compulsive star wars toy buyer, had no trouble passing on this one.:D

Obi-Don
11-17-2001, 08:49 AM
I passed on that one and will only get it if there is nothing else at the time.I was dissapointed with the droid more than I was with the figure.They could have done better.

browndroid
11-17-2001, 05:43 PM
its oook.......but the luke bacta tank is better

humsup
11-17-2001, 08:48 PM
I'm still in recovery for the "Maul-avalanche" not long ago and are now allergy to any Maul figs. So, not be getting this one.
I think the droid looks like a Pokemon creature and the whole deluxe set looks like a joke to me. But the local shop does not allow me to buy Luke Bacta only and "forced" us local collectors to buy both in a set - Hence, I missed out on Luke too :( Damn!! I hate Maul.

Tycho
11-19-2001, 10:17 AM
That's why he's evil!:D

Anyway, I'm just glad they made an EU figure that was actually in a comic or book. If they were doing Darth Maul (the story) figures, I would have liked to have seen Darsha Assant, Lorn Pavon, or I-Five. Maybe Mighella and Lex, too.

Other EU like a Yuuzhan Vong and the attention long overdue to New Jedi Order would be better.

Hasbro wants recognizable characters from the movies for their EU choices? How about Jedi Master Luke. Jaina and Jacen Solo would sell too. Their sirname sounds just slightly familiar...

Rollo Tomassi
11-19-2001, 10:23 AM
Pegwarmer.

Megs 2
11-19-2001, 11:14 AM
I picked up my shirtless Maul @ K-mart they had 2 left & a few Luke's in the tank. I think he's ok. I just collect the villians. But to be honest I had enough of all these Maul & Vader figures. Looking forward to the Imperial Officer ('bout time) & other baddies from the movies. Thanks

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-19-2001, 01:21 PM
What do most of you feel about the price of the deluxe figs?

Most retailers are charging in the 10 dollar range (although I know at TRU it costs $11). Do you think it's worth the money or basically a poor excuse for Hasbro to take more $$$ from your pocket?

Tycho
11-19-2001, 01:35 PM
I was just in Target, and I found "Kolossal," an evil droid henchman from the "Cubix" collection.

It's perfect for a diorama fighting this Darth Maul.

The droid's backside has no dumb markings, and it's dirty, like the used Star Wars universe, and even looks like some of the contraptions you see Maul fighting in the comic book.

Check out the Cubix figures. Only one is good - the Kolossal figure (and it's made so the arms and legs are barely poseable and easily fall off) but it's also $4.99 (though not worth it). I think he's packed at one per case of these silly 'action figures.' They're made by Trendmasters, at standard Trendmaster quality (or lack thereof). But I still swear it looks great in a Darth Maul training diorama!

Jayspawn
11-19-2001, 03:27 PM
"Attack of the Clones" is really about all those Vader and Maul figures Hasbro keeps making!

JEDIpartner
11-19-2001, 04:06 PM
The training droid is a mess...!

Every single one that I have seen has fingerprints in the red paint that's been smeared all over the gold surface! What's up with that????

The Maul is okay... the articulation points seem a little flimsy or loose. Still... he'll always be Chippendales Maul to me! :p

Starfig873
11-19-2001, 04:39 PM
I like him. I think its one of the better Mauls to tell you the truth. And the split apart lightsaber is a pretty nifty thing too!

Although it is odd on how Hasbro terms things...for instance the Probe Droid lifts about a centimeter and topples over. In Hasbro speak, he "launches!"

:D

JEDIpartner
11-19-2001, 04:43 PM
Hahahaha!!! I know! That's a total joke...

His purpose is better served by staying on that pillar! Nice try with the "Action Feature" Hasbro, but leave that to things that are a little lighter and can gain some distance! :rolleyes:

Darth Rage
11-25-2001, 09:30 PM
I think the shirtless Darth Maul is a piece of Art! He looks vicious compared to the first Maul. He looks as cool and realistic as the Darth Maul in the Tatooine Showdown (this what the playset is called?)...

I think this is my most favorite action figure of all time!