PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Shatterpoint (merged thread)

Darth Trymybestus
11-17-2002, 05:21 PM
just announced at the official site:

Del Rey Books will begin its Clone War coverage with Star Wars: Shatterpoint, a hardcover novel featuring Mace Windu by Matthew Stover due out in 2003. More Clone War novels and audio books are planned in both paperback and hardcover to be released over the next few years. Just announced is author William Dietz, who will be writing a stand-alone Clone War paperback novel due out in 2004.

I'll definitely be getting this book, I loved reading The Approaching Storm before Attack of the Clones, it gave me some nice information on the seperatist movement :)
Is anyone else excited about this?

Tycho
11-28-2002, 11:17 AM
It looks interesting. Mace needs his character fleshed out some more. As some predict, he's going behind the backs of the Jedi High Council and up to something - possibly an unsanctioned mission with Dooku to infiltrate the Sith. At least that's my theory.

When Yoda said "too sure of themselves. A trend more and more common even with the older, more experienced Jedi," I don't think he was talking about Obi-Wan. I think he was hinting that he knew about Mace.

I'm sure only Episode 3 will cover that, and this book won't. However, Depa Billaba, who has a unique relationship with Mace can be seen on the cover's background (she has the facial piercings). Here is a chance to get into their heads and learn about these yet undeveloped Council Members.

I'm sure that even were my 'secret mission' prediction true for Mace, this story will take him on an unexpected side trip adventure during the Clone Wars, and I can only hope it drops a few hints as to his role in Episode 3.

Eternal Padawan
06-05-2003, 01:15 AM
What? Is there no Shatterpoint thread yet? Maybe I missed it. If so, go ahead and combine them, if not...

I haven't bought this yet because I'm trying to go as spoiler free as possible for Episode III. I almost tripped over articles at Dark Horizons a couple of times, but I stopped myself in time. So to anyone that has read/is reading this. Is it safe to read if I don't want to know anything about what's in store? And I mean ANYTHING. I think I may buy it (and any other Clone Wars book) and just wait until III hits theatres before reading them.

[DSS]Pedr0
06-05-2003, 08:26 AM
IS IT OUT ALREADY???? :eek: :confused:

Eternal Padawan
06-05-2003, 09:12 AM
They had a stack of them when I went into Borders yesterday. Maybe they put it out early.

[DSS]Pedr0
06-05-2003, 10:58 AM
HoLY CRAP!!! I HAVE TO GO THEN AND GET ONE!!!

Eternal Padawan
06-05-2003, 11:00 AM
WELL, OKAY THEN!!! HURRY!!!

dr_evazan22
06-05-2003, 11:01 AM
I forgot it had come out too. I'll probably get it Fri.

Eternal Padawan
06-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Combine. ( I KNEW there was a Shatterpoint thread...)

Vortex
06-05-2003, 11:45 AM
Staying spolier free might be tough on that one.

On the inside cover thay have a Clone Wars timeline and who (Del Ray, or Dark Horse, or whoever) are going to tell some major/important battles that take place between Ep. II and Ep. III.

I really don't think, and partially doubt that GL will pay much attention to these upcoming books, and I don't think Lucasarts will let much slip out about the real movie. I think these will just be war stories that help to define anakin and obi wan as clone war heroes/pilots/friends/ and jedi and how the galaxy spun outta control and the jedi crumbled.

But you're going to have to avoid a lot of up coming books...and you might have more questions than answers once Ep III hits the big screen.

El Chuxter
06-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Merged! :D

I've seen this at various Waldenbooks over the past two days, but I'm trying to get to one store that has enough good stuff for me to take advantage of their "buy four, get one free" special on all books. I've already planned on this one and the new Inside the Worlds of AOTC, but the small Waldenbooks have cruddy selections. :(

El Chuxter
06-23-2003, 03:49 PM
It took me a while to get into this book, but once I did, it's been hard to put down. I'm about 3/4 of the way through (Mace just met up with Depa and got beaten senseless by the Korunn leader). It's a more dense read than most SW books, and definitely owes a debt to Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now. Mace's journal entries are particularly enjoyable reading.

As I said, I'm not done yet, but I fear yet another Council member may need to be replaced for E3. :(

[DSS]Pedr0
06-23-2003, 03:54 PM
I LIKE WHAT I HAVE READ ALSO...I AM AT THAT PoINT IN THE BOOK TOO....WERE MACE DEFENDS THE BUNKER NEAR THE VOLCANO

Sidiously Darth
06-25-2003, 11:37 PM
First, I must say this has been one of the best SW novels that I've read. In a time of war, this story is full of death and destruction by man and nature.

Mace gives off a Jules Winnfield (Pulp Fiction) air. He loves to fight which is one of his weaknesses... something a Jedi should not be. Yet he is proud of his weakness b/c he helps him strive to be work harder on being a Jedi.

Depa's inability to deal with the ravages of war have caused her mental instability and to lose her way in the force. She's not evil but the darkside has tainted her thoughts and actions. Even Jedi Healers haven't discovered what is "wrong" with her.

Now with Depa being arrested and removed from the council, the 12 member group will be much different in Ep. III. Yaddle was killed in Jedi Quest #6. Eeth Koth & Coleman Trebor were killed on Geonosis. That's 1/3 of the council. New faces to come?

dr_evazan22
06-26-2003, 03:22 AM
Reading thru it I found the first section a little slow, but the middle and third sections were good. It wasn't what I've come to know as a SW novel. Maybe after a second read...

One thing I did like about the book was the progression of Mace's feelings for what happened on Geo. First he thought he made a mistake, then the Force showed him that he was led on the correct path. There seemed liek there was a chance for a real peace, and healing, to begin between the warring factions. Not to turm political, but it brought the Israeli/Palestinian conflict to mind, and showed how both sides are right and wrong at the same time.

El Chuxter
06-26-2003, 12:42 PM
Sidiously Darth, when you say Eeth was killed, are you basing that on the Locations book that came out recently from DK or something else? I question that book, as it says the Weequay Jedi died in the battle, when the Mace Windu comic clearly shows he didn't.

Sidiously Darth
06-26-2003, 07:31 PM
Eeth being dead does come from the DK book you are thinking about. Sora Bulq was thought to have been killed on Geonosis until the revelations in the DH Mace Windu comic. I'm pretty sure they discuss that in the first couple of pages.

However, Eeth Koth's death has not been denied. Agen Kolar will return for Ep. III but Eeth Koth will not. So there's no reason to think that he's alive and I'm sure the Jedi Council will get some film time in the 3rd movie.

Darth Jax
07-17-2003, 08:47 PM
so after sitting on my bookshelf for over a month, i finally cracked the cover. almost felt i was reading tom clancy and not a star wars novel. shatterpoint is told in a very different style than the typical star wars novel, not that its a bad thing. in fact i'd say its a good thing.

as mentioned earlier the book takes a bit to get rolling. by the second half it becomes hard to put down. and the ending and its dire connontations for the jedi and clone war are excellent. really shows the mess the republic is in, having jedi being the leader of their army.

the book does have some flaws. in explaining mace's ease with the force (coming from a race of native force users) just populates one more planet with force users. in my opinion for every other force user out there the jedi seem to go down a notch. when you can tap into the force without any effort or study reduces all the effort one must go through to become a jedi. luke's already run into enough native force users post ROTJ, do we really need planets of them in the days were force sensitives were sought out and trained as jedi. also didn't like the way that the force enabled mace and kar to become so much more than human, really more of a superhero from out of the pages of a comic book. i've always looked at the jedi as being more akin to batman, mortals with special talents and equipment than superman. but i'm basing that on yoda and luke's accomplishments from the original trilogy. certainly we never had a force user becoming a spacetrooper on-sceen. you could react a little faster, jump a little higher, move objects - but not fly or survive a planetary re-entry without a spaceship around you. and even qui-gon jinn couldn't survive being run through with a lightsaber.

El Chuxter
07-21-2003, 01:15 PM
I finished this over the weekend (finally!). In the immortal words of the Eternal Padawan, "Meh." The book was good through the end, then petered out big time. Depa deserved better than she got.

Mace's little "prophecies" about all the Jedi being wiped out and the Yuuzhan Vong invasion were pretty neat touches.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2003, 10:16 AM
It gets harder and harder to read for enjoyment these days, with all the reading to grade I have to do. Hooray for summer! No beach, mountains, movies, or whirlwind romances ( :kiss: :eek: ;) ) for me; it's time to read! (Yes, Bel-Cam is a lonely Moderator... :p)
I am pleased to say that this is the best SW novel (except for the young reader ones) to come out in a long time. Like El Chuxter, I felt very connected to Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, which was the basis for F.F. Coppola's Apocalypse Now. It was dark and brooding, but not overly so. I felt that Mace's journals were stiff, but reporting by recording is always tough to pull off in books.
Kal Vastor is one of the most unique SW characters to be intro'd in awhile as well. Too bad he's in a remote location (won't say where) and probably won't be used again.
Interesting insights into Jedi thought processes. The reason for teaching Jedi skills at early ages? So other "natural" tendencies don't interfere with this training.
Again, Stover matches Mace Windu with Jules from Pulp Fiction in a great way. He's not over the top, but just right. I thought the "frag" term was meant to be similar to, well, you know, in our current slang. Stover used a line on the last page to relate directly to the following chapter title; great foreshadowing technique.
The fact that so many characters were "almost" dead was one of the negative points. If NJO can kill off almost anyone, why not here, too? I liked that having the ship in orbit was an ace up the sleeve that was dealt with in a logical fashion.

Overall grade? 8.4 / 10.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-03-2003, 04:50 PM
I started this book, got annoyed, and stopped. It was boring the crap out of me. Anyway, what happens to Depa?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-04-2003, 04:02 PM
I started this book, got annoyed, and stopped. It was boring the crap out of me. Anyway, what happens to Depa?
Well. If you don't finish your books, no spoilers for you! There are fans starving for info in the Jutland Wastes. I'm not going to tell you. Someday, you'll thank me for this. When I was your age... :frus: :p

BTW, the book gets going about 100 pages in; try picking up from there. Depa doesn't even show up until about 300 pages in. Remember, it's Mace's book, after all.

Tycho
10-28-2003, 03:05 AM
Yup, JabbaJohnL., read this one! It gets good!

I am at the part where the Balawai gunships track Mace to the caves as he's about to fight Kar Vastor a 2nd time. This book has gotten so good!

I too found it hard to gain interest when the whole of Harun Kal seemed a dreary place I wanted to escape in, not "live in" while I went with Mace on his adventure.

About the time he decides to save the kids from the steamcrawler in the lava flow was when I suddenly picked up hope that this was going to turn out great.

Mace's character really started to grow on me from that decision of his, and thereon afterwards.

Now he is getting as interesting as Anakin and Obi-Wan and I dread Mace being taken away from us in the prequels!

Anyway, I will come back to this thread when I finish the book. But I strongly urge people to read it.

I'm deeply pondering the differences between law enforcement and war...

InsaneJediGirl
12-08-2003, 07:58 AM
I finished this awhile ago,excellent book.Some complained it was a little slow in the beginning but it really didnt take away.The only problem I have was Depa wasn't really developed.She acts like she is bi-polar or has some other mental illness and you really dont get to understand her point of view.

On the other hand,nice to see 'cussing' in a SW book instead of "Sithspit" or "Emperors Black Bones"!:crazed: :D

Tycho
07-26-2005, 02:04 AM
I'm re-reading this and loving it. I can't put it down!

Shatterpoint delivers. I've become part of the darkness in the jungle!