PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone box or study martial arts?

Jedi Master Silas
11-18-2002, 08:40 AM
I was very curious to see if anyone boxes or studies any form of martial arts. I've been boxing for two years and I dabble in shoot fighting, and basic Kung Fu. My husband is an accomplished martial artist. He studied Hun Gar, Tai Chi, and Chi Lin. I'm just curious as to what styles some of you all might study. Is anyone into strength training? Body building?

darthvyn
11-18-2002, 10:34 AM
in grade school i did about four years of tae kwon do, i studied jujitsu shortly, and in college i learned some tang lang quan - praying mantis kung fu - from a graduate architecture student. i definitely want to join a praying mantis school near where i live. i just need money first. i really have this strange pull to that style. plus i got monkey arms, so the reach helps with that style :D plus, every once in a while, i get the feeling that the mantis is my sort of "spirit animal" - one summer i encountered three of them in one month, and that was during the time that i was searching for schools... i eventually found one nearby, and am just waiting to gather up enough funds...

Patient Zero
11-18-2002, 11:19 AM
NINJA!!!
Banana!?!

Rogue II
11-18-2002, 12:41 PM
Well, I did Tae Kwan Do for a couple months when I was in grade school. But, I have been playing hockey since I was 5, and I found out the fine art of hockey fighting beats at least up to blue belt in Karate. My younger brother was a blue belt....it didn't help him much.:D

Banana!?!?

The Overlord Returns
11-18-2002, 12:45 PM
Whenever I've found myself in an unavoidable physical confrontation, I find resporting to a poke in the eye and a swift kick to the ole family jewels just as effective as 5000 year old mystic arts.. ;)

Patient Zero
11-18-2002, 12:50 PM
I use to take some form of martial arts a really long time ago. I also use to shadow box, but I kept waking up on the floor with a bloody nose.

darthvyn
11-18-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
Whenever I've found myself in an unavoidable physical confrontation, I find resporting to a poke in the eye and a swift kick to the ole family jewels just as effective as 5000 year old mystic arts.. ;)

actually, eye pokes are part of praying mantis... when the guy was showing me the "use" for the moves i was learning, i suddenly got it... i was like "oh, i see what's going on here..." and he said (with a little trouble with his english...)

"yes, it is very.... uh, bad..."

"dirty fighting!" i replied...

"yes, dirty fighting. yes." he responded. i thought that was pretty funny!

however, the fighting part of it isn't what draws me to it... i'm very interested in the spiritual side of it, and the fact that it's one of the best work-outs, especially for someone like me, who feels that just sitting there "pumping iron" is boring and a waste of time. for me to get in shape, i need something that is interesting, that i'm learning WHILE excercising. and learning to defend myself while getting all of that is just icing on the cake.

still, how many of you that studied some form of martial arts started because of how cool "the karate kid" was? i know that was my initial reason! :D

James Boba Fettfield
11-18-2002, 01:51 PM
I just watched Pumping Iron on Cinemax, I think it was Friday night,....and man, I have never felt so small and fat (if that is even possible) in my entire life.

darthvyn
11-18-2002, 01:58 PM
well, see, that's the thing with the body builder set... they have all that mass, but probably don't know what to do with it... that's the difference between "strength" and "power" - strength is pretty straight foward, but power is the effective use of strength, and that's what any good martial arts will teach you - how to best utilize your strength for the most economical defense and reaction.

plus, most of those guys can't even tie their own shoes! :D

Darth Sidious
11-18-2002, 02:24 PM
I have been taking Shotokan, a Japanese form of karate for 8 years now, and I still am. It's proved helpful quite a few times, although I am starting to get bored with it. But I'm not going to quit, though.

Jedi Master Silas
11-18-2002, 05:06 PM
Hey Dathvyn have you ever thought of getting into Tai Chi? If your interested in more of a spiritual type experience try it. To me it's been all about inner strength...like the tiger within. It helps me release stress. I agree about body building...you have all that mass but lack flexability. I have way more muscle then the average woman but I'm not so stacked that I've sacraficed flexability. My husband is fairly stacked but her focuses on building strength and is EXTREMLY flexable. He can kick a basketball net, do splits but can still bench press a Buick. Non traditional type MA I dont care much for. This fancy shamancy high kicking stuff I dont care for. I dont think it's very practical.
Thats only my opinion but if I had to fight someone I would rather face off against a kicker then a grappler or someone who has quick hands and good throws.

kadamontaga
11-18-2002, 05:10 PM
I studied Bujitsu (sp?) which is derived from Ninjutsu for 6 months a few years ago but I was crap at it.

Nexu
11-18-2002, 05:18 PM
www.realultimatepower.net ;)

Jedi Master Silas
11-18-2002, 05:19 PM
Nexu that link gave me a good laugh!

Nexu
11-18-2002, 05:25 PM
That is one of those sites that you don't forget. :) There was a thread at another forum about this; it was the funniest one over there, whch is going some. ;) http://forums.seriouscommunity.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13246&highlight=ninja

darthvyn
11-18-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Silas
Hey Dathvyn have you ever thought of getting into Tai Chi?

yes, actually, the guy i was learning tang lang from also taught taiji chuan to some others... i would really like to learn it as well. but as for the spiritual thing, for an external art, tang lang has some inexplicable hold on me... like i said, i think i have some sort of spiritual thing with the mantis...

James Boba Fettfield
11-18-2002, 11:10 PM
It is interesting to see some people do not prefer the big body builders. I would be afraid of the whole clothes issue. I wouldn't mind getting built some, but not like Lou or Arnold in Pumping Iron. Imagine how often you would have to keep working out to keep those muscles. Lou was lifting 100 pound dumbbells with each arm. He was screaming while he was doing it, too. I'd be happy with working out to the point of being built like Arnold was when he was acting. I've never been flexible, so it will be like normal. Then I would have a good excuse for not wanting to bend over all the time. I'm too buff, instead of I am too out of shape, to bend over.

darthvyn
11-18-2002, 11:19 PM
my whole thing is, it takes a more "natural" workout to get a more "natural" fitness... i definitely want to strengthen my muscles and tone and define my body, while getting rid of what fat i possess - i'm not really all that lethargic, i'm just kinda out of shape... for me, it's the fact that you get fit, learn to do all these cool moves, learn to defend yourself with them if necessary, and are taught all kinds of spiritual teachings, as well... there's just so much there for the taking, that it appeals to me in ways that just sitting on a bench and doing five sets ten reps each doesn't...

James Boba Fettfield
11-18-2002, 11:23 PM
To each his own. I've always been attracted (nothing homosexual here) to the aspect of body building. Some of the guy's get to the points of looking a little freaky, but that wouldn't be my goal. Just enough to be like, yeah, I'm big. I'm the opposite. I would rather work on physical results more than trying to achieve mental and physical results with training.

Jedi Master Silas
11-19-2002, 01:45 AM
I love lifting and I know when to say when as far as the weight and reps and which muscle group I'm working. You have to have the genetics for it too.

Pendo
11-19-2002, 11:42 AM
I did Karate when I was younger and reached my black belt. I then moved on to Shorai Kickboxing.
I also do alot of the gym, I go every Wednesday evening, and Monday and Friday lunch time.

Put simply, I could kick all your arses at the same time ;):D!!!

PENDO!

Jedi Master Silas
11-19-2002, 02:04 PM
HAHAHAHAHAH PENDO YOU MAKE ME LAUGH...I GUESS YOU HAVENT RAN INTO MY HUSBAND YET HUH!;)

I know I would much rather fight some black belt then a fighter from the street.

The Overlord Returns
11-19-2002, 02:21 PM
That's because street fighters fight dirty........

jjreason
11-19-2002, 10:14 PM
I have taken Chinese martial arts in the past, and work to keep what few skills I developed. Id love to start Tai Chi, but unfortunately I've had a few "run ins" with the instructor and a senior student. Oh well, when next I move it'll be start Tai Chi first, THEN start arresting people for smoking pot in public..... always learning, that's me!