PDA

View Full Version : Great Britian. Ultimate source of entertainment.

scruffziller
11-18-2002, 11:07 AM
As an American, I have found myself coming to like everything that comes from the British Isles. It seems that everything like music, movies, actors, comedy, etc. that is top notch does not come from America. Actors like Ian Mcdirmand, Ian Mckellan, Malcolm McDowell, Patrick Stewert, Ewan McGregor movies like LOTR, SW(which has a high concentration of British actors) Trainspotting, Harry Potter, Clockwork Orange, comedy like Benny Hill, Any Capp, Faulty Towers, Monty Python(them blokes that inpired South Park)!!!!:D. Music like Jamiroquai(who would think that someone from a different country would take a music style originating in America and improve upon it!!!!!!!), Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, AC DC, Pest Shop Boys, Rick Astley, Slick Rick. Keep'em coming mates!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Exhaust Port
11-18-2002, 12:25 PM
Remember that countries only export what's good or what will sell so we're more likely to experience good music, tv, etc. Canada is another exporter of entertainment materials like comics and actors but just as any other country they produce their fair share of crap.

So not to knock that GB doesn't have some great exports but just like the rest of us they have their share of stinkers.

USA: Proud home of the Simpsons and Star Wars. ;)

2-1B
11-18-2002, 12:42 PM
scruff, are you saying your boy Eminem is not top notch ? :confused:

;)

The Overlord Returns
11-18-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Remember that countries only export what's good or what will sell so we're more likely to experience good music, tv, etc. Canada is another exporter of entertainment materials like comics and actors but just as any other country they produce their fair share of crap.

So not to knock that GB doesn't have some great exports but just like the rest of us they have their share of stinkers.

USA: Proud home of the Simpsons and Star Wars. ;)

Actually, I can firmly state, as a Canadian, that we produce no crap whatsoever... ;)

Funny thing about scruffzillers post is that, while professing how great the brits were in music, he picked some of the worst examples of british music to prove his point......

Ofcourse, in Canada......the bands that become famous here are usually pure garbage.....and of course we created the alterno brittany: Avril Lavigne...grrr....

Rogue II
11-18-2002, 01:04 PM
Hold on!

Originally posted by scruffziller
Music like Jamiroquai(who would think that someone from a different country would take a music style originating in America and improve upon it!!!!!!!), Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, AC DC, Pest Shop Boys, Rick Astley, Slick Rick. Keep'em coming mates!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

First af all, never mention the Pet Shop Boys in the same sentance as Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

That sentance should have read:

Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Beatles, Eric Clapton. Keep'em coming mates!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Second, AC/DC is from Australlia.

You may continue.:D

The Overlord Returns
11-18-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
That sentance should have read:

Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Beatles, Eric Clapton. Keep'em coming mates!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Or, he could have mentioned Radiohead, the British band that's topped each of the ones listed above :)

Rogue II
11-18-2002, 01:14 PM
Yes, Radiohead.:) I couldn't think of any current British bands when I started typing.

I'm just glad he didn't mention Wham!:rolleyes:;)

James Boba Fettfield
11-18-2002, 01:26 PM
Yeah, but Angus and his brother were born in Glasgow and moved to Austrailia. So, scruffy is kind of right with what he said.

Exhaust Port
11-18-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
Funny thing about scruffzillers post is that, while professing how great the brits were in music, he picked some of the worst examples of british music to prove his point......

I hope you weren't talking about Black Sabbath or Led Zepplin? <gasp> ;)

Ofcourse, in Canada......the bands that become famous here are usually pure garbage.....and of course we created the alterno brittany: Avril Lavigne...grrr....

Again, I hope you weren't including Rush in that group. A mighty fine group of Canadians in my opinion. :eek:

Other fine imports from Canada are SCTV, MuchMusic and the RedGreen Show. You don't produce cars but I hear nothing but raves about your big aircraft product, the Canadair RJ, built in Montreal.

James Boba Fettfield
11-18-2002, 01:35 PM
Lord Malakite and I tried to watch SCTV when they used to show it late night on NBC. We never really understood what the appeal to it was. The one thing I will never forgive Canada for producing is Paul Shaffer (sp?) from Letterman's show. That man annoys me beyond all reason.

jeddah
11-18-2002, 01:41 PM
Not to mention comedy; Steve Coogan, Eddie Izzard, Setve Merchant & Ricky Gervais, the League of Gent's (Steve Pemberton, Mark Gatiss, Reece Shearwater & Jeremy Dyson) :)

I'm so glad no-one's mentioned Plebbie Williams. On behalf of my country, I can't apologise enough for visiting that particular 'artist' on you. ;)

Unfortunately, the rule of exporting only your pearls is not true for any of us; Will & Grace, Scrubs, Veronica's Closet, Spin City et al ad nauseum.

:)

jeddah

Deoxyribonucleic
11-18-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by jeddah

Unfortunately, the rule of exporting only your pearls is not true for any of us; Will & Grace, Scrubs, Veronica's Closet, Spin City et al ad nauseum.

jeddah

Don't forget about all of our lovely "reality" tv shows! Eeee Gads! Can't wait 'til that stupid fad is over and done with here in the US!

Jargo
11-18-2002, 02:37 PM
On behalf of all Britons, I would like to extend our sincerest apologies for Phil Collins and Status Quo, Cliff Richards and Rick Astley, Westlife and Boyzone, plus many many more 'artistes' that have travelled the globe assaulting the ears of your nations.
We the British apologise profusely and unreservedly for their heinous crimes against humanity.... :zzz:

The Overlord Returns
11-18-2002, 02:48 PM
You forgot Take That and the Spice Girls........ ;)

Wolfwood319
11-18-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by jeddah

jeddah

I can't apologize enough for NBC's so called "Sitcoms." Absolute crap, I can't apologize enough.

The Overlord Returns
11-18-2002, 03:11 PM
In the interest of fairness, I'll apologize to the world on behalf of Canada for:

The Tragically Hip
Barenaked ladies
Avril lavigne
Tea party
b4 4
Celine Dion
and anything Bryan Adams did after 1990... (summer of 69, however, will always hold a special place in my heart....)

Now, perhaps some americans out there will offer up an apology or two for brittany and co. ;)

BanthaPoodoo
11-18-2002, 03:13 PM
More good Canadian imports:

Mike Myers :)
Celine Dion :)
Todd McFarlane (Spawn, etc)
Wayne Gretzky

And that figure skater Jamie Sale (man is she hot!!!! :))

The Overlord Returns
11-18-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by BanthaPoodoo
More good Canadian imports:

Mike Myers :)
Celine Dion :)
Todd McFarlane (Spawn, etc)
Wayne Gretzky

And that figure skater Jamie Sale (man is she hot!!!! :))

chuckles....I can agree with Mike Myers and Wayne Gretzky..... ;)

Patient Zero
11-18-2002, 03:38 PM
Now, perhaps some americans out there will offer up an apology or two for brittany and co. ;)

Fine! I apologize for 99% of all American music from 87' onward. Since it went from New Wave to Hair bands, it has consistantly gone down hill. I can say in all honesty that when I am forced to import almost all of my cds from overseas or from the few distributors that specialize in particular genres of music that American music has gone to hell. I mean the last band that I really got into (Echo Image) is from Norway, the band before that (VNV Nation) is from Germany, before that (Covenant) from Sweden. The last band from the US that I got into was Anything Box, but their last two albums sucked. The few bands, from the US, that use to be good are all washed up now or just could not repeat the sucsses of their debut album or hit song.:dead:

Well, atleast we have John Williams.:p

The Overlord Returns
11-18-2002, 03:53 PM
GOJ.........I think you're being a little TOO critical ;)

James Boba Fettfield
11-18-2002, 03:59 PM
There's still good American bands. Like Dream Theater

The Overlord Returns
11-18-2002, 04:04 PM
there's also the White stripes...and to a lesser extent, The Strokes.

Patient Zero
11-18-2002, 04:08 PM
GOJ.........I think you're being a little TOO critical ;)

Well you did ask me to apologize! And television.......don't even get me started! :rolleyes:

But we Americans DO have one thing of great importance.

We are legion!
We are Ketchup nation!

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Wolfwood319
11-18-2002, 06:01 PM
there's also the White stripes...and to a lesser extent, The Strokes.

Man, those guys suck too. Except for "The Sums..." ;)

American music really hasn't been decent since, well, let me get back to you on that. The only thing consistantly good on our side is Blues and Jazz. But even that hasn't been top notch since the 70's.

80's Pop music (any band with a synth AND keyboards), Hair Metal, wuss 90's rock, disco, techno, that crappy Dave Matthew's Band-esque crap, hippy-love-puke garbage...Its all been down hill since the 60's.

So, I apologize for that too.

Jargo
11-18-2002, 07:17 PM
Is anyone going to apologise for the large arsenal of nuclear misiles stored on our turf for many years? Greenham common airbase was quite the place to be at one point. A great meeting place for ugly ladies who prefer ladies to meet up and get angry and sing songs of protest and chain themselves pointlessly to fences. I can't remember if those missiles are still there or not but an apology would be nice.

In return I'll apologise on behalf of The United Kingdom of Great Britain for... The Tellytubbies :eek:

JEDIpartner
11-18-2002, 07:25 PM
I'll apologise! So sorry for the chowderheads who felt the UK was so insignificant that it would be a great storehouse for missiles. I personally think that if it's your property... keep it on your own turf!

Back to the topic...

Great Britain is the ultimate source of entertinment because of:
- French and Saunders (mostly Dawn French, though)
- most of their current music
- Stock/Aitken/Waterman and the old PWL days
- Intelligent comedies
- Monty Python
- Colin Firth (he's a Brit, isn't he?)

...but mostly because of Jargo!

James Boba Fettfield
11-18-2002, 07:42 PM
Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, and Queen are some of the reasons I enjoy British music. I don't know of many British bands that are new that I like, but the four I just mentioned are great and influenced a lot of the American bands I listen to today.

Jargo
11-18-2002, 07:43 PM
I doubt many here would agree with that last sentiment Dale but thanks anyway. :)

And yes Colin Firth is a Brit.

Oh yeah, I apologise for Hugh grant and Liz Hurley and Joan collins and - y'know what, let's just say that whatever it is that needs apologising for we apologise for.

Now, about that tea party in Boston.........

JEDIpartner
11-18-2002, 08:03 PM
that tea was just DREADFUL! Leave it to a bunch of Yanks to make tea from cesspit saltwater! ;)

seriously... I cannot STAND what passes for tea in the States. It's only good iced!

and, yes- you SHOULD apologise for Ewww Grant and Elizabeth Hurling. They are, together, infinitely ugly and galactically stupid!

Thanks for the confirmation on Mr. Firth... we do like him so...

plasticfetish
11-19-2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Slick Rick
It's funny seeing this name ... as I was enjoying some Slick Rick just this afternoon ... "The Great Adventures of Slick Rick." Though I think you'd have to thank the Bronx as well as England.

Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
On behalf of all Britons, I would like to extend our sincerest apologies for Phil Collins ...
It's about F-ing time! OK. We'll pull the nukes out now ... done deal ... but I'm not apologizing for the "ugly ladies" (that's your own problem.)

As for thanking England ...
Thank you for the horrible showers with terrible water pressure that I had at my B&B. Thank you for a "hot dog" that I got off a street vendor in London, when I was starving, that had the consistency of marmalade. (Hmmm ... maybe it WAS now that I think of it.) Even the pigeons wouldn't touch it. Thank you for the burning hot oil that ran down my arm after someone handed me a paper funnel full of "fish"(?) to hold for a minute while they adjusted their purse. Thank you for the TV shows on both of your channels that seemed to be constantly obsessed with bananas. (I don't know what it was ... but every show was banana this or banana that ... I'm not saying it wasn't funny ... just a little weird.)

OK. All kidding aside ...
Thank you for creating or refining just about every form of music and/or youth culture that I've ever been involved with ... punk/new wave, mod, billy/ted ... as well as all of the other particulars that I've enjoyed ... The Yardbirds/Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Queen, David Bowie(!!!), Stanley Kubrick, Terry Gilliam, Aldous Huxley, George Orwell, Anthony Burgess, Boris Karloff, Charlie Chaplin, Malcolm McLaren, Tango (orange soda), The worlds first electronic computer (Colossus), Dr. Martens and Dr. Who ... uhhh ... and The Who!

All right ... were do I thank the Italians and the Germans for other stuff?

The Overlord Returns
11-19-2002, 08:13 AM
Malcolm McLaren...........MALCOLM F'ING MCLAREN?!!!??!!!!????

scruffziller
11-19-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
scruff, are you saying your boy Eminem is not top notch ? :confused:

;)

Since I am focusing my thread on GB, this is not a comparison thread.
:rolleyes:

Eminem would one of the few American acts that is top notch only because he comes the Great Britian part of the country, the Midwest. If you do your thinking you will find that a high concentration of HUGE music acts come from the midwest.

The Overlord Returns
11-19-2002, 09:49 AM
Michigan is part of the mid west?

scruffziller
11-19-2002, 09:52 AM
Michigan is part of the mid west?

somewhat........:confused: where does it begin and where does it end? And if it is not, what would you call it? Also, Em spent a great deal of time in Kansas City too.

The Overlord Returns
11-19-2002, 09:58 AM
well...it's completely in the eastern time zone........so I'm thinking it's in the east.

scruffziller
11-19-2002, 10:39 AM
yes but it is not on the eastcoast.

The Overlord Returns
11-19-2002, 10:40 AM
no, it's not on the coast....but by that logic......quite a few states and provinces could be considered "mid west"...

Deoxyribonucleic
11-19-2002, 10:54 AM
Maybe it could be upper mid east?? :Pirate:

Patient Zero
11-19-2002, 11:29 AM
Why can't those east coast and west coast rappers just get along!?!

QLD
11-19-2002, 05:46 PM
Since everyone is apologizing,

I would like to apologize to the entire world for the U.S.'s part in the following:

Brittney Spears
N'Sync
Backstreet Boys
Rosie O'Donnell
Paula Poundstone
Armageddon (the movie)
Eminem
Friends
The West Wing
Boston Public
Alec Baldwin (and all Baldwins)
Barbara Striesand
Michael Jackson
Country Music
Puff Daddy
Mike Tyson
Vanilla Ice
Survivor
The Real World
General Motors
Pepsi
Pepsi commercials

and last but not least.....

Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
Episode 2: Attack of the Clones

Rogue II
11-19-2002, 06:18 PM
I would have to agree with everything on QLD's list, and I'd like to also apologize for:

Pauly Shore
Pee Wee Herman
Speed
Speed 2
and any movie with Earnest in the title.

QLD
11-19-2002, 06:25 PM
Good call Rogue II

May I also add:

Billy Blanks
Police Academy Series
Cynthia Rothrock
Elmo

Rogue II
11-19-2002, 06:51 PM
I forgot to add:
Martha Stewart
Andy Dick
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

By the way, I'd like to point out that all of our favorite British bands from the 60's (Zeppelin, Clapton, etc.) were influenced by American blues bands such as Muddy Watters and John Lee Hooker.

Thank you, Canada, for:
Hockey
Don Cherry
Rush
Michael J. Fox
Bob & Doug McKenzie

James Boba Fettfield
11-19-2002, 07:34 PM
Those aren't my favorite British bands.

Jargo
11-19-2002, 07:51 PM
I think you forgot to apologise for the care bears and that travesty, Disney. Bloody Mickey bloody Mouse indeed! Bloody theme parks! Yes and the concept of shopping malls, pop up toasters and bubble gum.

We apologise for margaret thatcher and the bowler hat. Anne Robinson and the weakest link.

Patient Zero
11-19-2002, 07:58 PM
So I have to ask....Snorks or Munchichis. Which is the better Smurfs rip off. Sorry...I know....I'm all over the place.

Rogue II
11-19-2002, 08:23 PM
Yes, as Americans, it is very important for us to apologize for Disney, the Flintstone movies, Richard Simmons, Care Bears, AND My Little Pony.

I'm going to have to say Snorks. I refuse to admit that I remember the Munchichis. Are the Snorks and Smurfs both Hanna Barberra products? Hey, wait a sec....Jonna, is your avatar a Japanese Animation of a Smurf?

Patient Zero
11-19-2002, 08:30 PM
Damn! Foiled again!

As per Disney, they have made some decent films, but unfortunatitly they were all before most of us were born. I still like the Aristocats!

QLD
11-19-2002, 08:36 PM
I kind of like Disney.......

anyway....

Also we must apologize for:

Webster
The cast of Diff'rent Strokes
Rainbow Brite
Fubu clothes
Judy Tenuda
Joan Rivers
Alf
Mr. T
1-800-COLLECT
Baywatch Nights
Tony Danza
Scott Baio
It's Pat: The Movie
Stewart Saves His Family
Kevin Costner

I also demand an apology for George Michael!!! :)

Patient Zero
11-19-2002, 08:41 PM
Back up there, buster! You need to replace ALF with Punky Bruster or Good Times even! God, I'm really dating myself now. I wonder if I should pick myself up at 7:30 or 8?

If you don't get it then don't worry about it. Two hours from now I will forget what I was thinking and need you to explain it to me.

Jargo
11-20-2002, 06:00 AM
Yes, no need to apologise for ALF who brought cynicism to children and gave them a head start in life with the best one liners. :) Perhaps the awful kid from that programe and the guy who played the dad but not ALF. Jim Carey should be apologised for by someone, surely a genetic experiment gone horribly horribly wrong.
George Michael.... well what can we say, Take your frustration down to the Club Tropicana. Drinks are free, fun and sunshine - there's enough for everyone........ :happy:

Alright, sorry for George Michael. Oh and Charlotte Church should she ever find her way over there with that 'voice of an angel' :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
11-20-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
So I have to ask....Snorks or Munchichis. Which is the better Smurfs rip off. Sorry...I know....I'm all over the place.

Actually... the Monchichi's were a line of toys/plush dolls in Japan in the mid to late 1970s... I think the cartoon was actually a much later spin-off of the toy line once it had made it to the United States. I remember my cousin in Osaka having one of these in 1979.

plasticfetish
11-20-2002, 12:27 PM
"Monchichi, monchichi, oh-so soft and cuddly ..." (http://www.yesterdayland.com/images/popopedia/shows/toys/ty1192.jpg)

... uh, thanks Mattel.

scruffziller
11-20-2002, 12:45 PM
QLD I refuse to apoligize for you. That is your job.:p

Rogue II
11-20-2002, 01:49 PM
...and I would also like to apologize for the musical careers of:
Don Johnson
Eddie Murphy
Bruce Willis
John Travolta

And of course, Shaq's movie and music career. Did someone say Shaq-Fu?

I refuse to click on the link that plasticfetish posted. I have a bad feeling about it.;)

I wish someone would apolgize for Pokeman. Then again, if I could come up with an idea like Pokeman and make millions off of it, I'd run it into the ground and not care who I annoyed.

Patient Zero
11-20-2002, 01:57 PM
I would like to apologize for Battlefield Earth/Dianetics: The Movie. I know that I had nothing to do with it, but I feel as though I have wronged the world in some way by watching it. Please forgive me...I won't do it again!

Exhaust Port
11-21-2002, 10:04 AM
Hey that movie just goes to show that You Too can make up a religion and cash in.

How about that Mr. Bean movie? blah.