PDA

View Full Version : Still Dissapointed with Republic Gunship

Scackmgack
11-19-2002, 08:41 AM
A while ago, about two months before the Gunship was released and we were first seeing pictures of it, I posted that I was dissapointed in this vehicle and someone made the wiseguy comment that they had never seen someone complain about a toy before it was released.

Let my complaint now stand validated and that wiseguy comment be retracted. :evil:

I am now in possession of a Republic Gunship, four Clone Trooper Pilots, six Sneak Preview Clone Troopers and two of the red Clone Captains; point being, I can pretty much set up my Gunship any way I like it (I don't lament not having the Deluxe Clone Trooper yet - from what I read the figure sucks and that will make my fifth speeder bike). Even with all the accessories, I still say the Gunship is a dissapointment.

The biggest problem - the death ray turrets on the sides. I don't care if Lucas DID decide to add them onto the Gunship late and Hasbro had already begun mold production for the toys, there is no reason they couldn't have released the Pilots as stand-alones with no special accessories other than the regular blasters, and then later released death ray turrets with Clone Troopers inside of them, as it should be.

The molds for those Clone Trooper death ray turret gunners could have been designed so as to be in line with the other Clone Trooper figures but still small enough to fit within death ray turrets that wouldn't have been too large for the vehicle. The two peg sets that are currently being used to support the cheese turrets that come with the Pilots could have been used to support proper death ray turrets, as well. People would have had to have waited a little longer to get them, but I think it would have been well worth the wait.

Why is this such an issue? Because the turrets we have now SUCK! Putting aside the issue of inappropriately small size, they have hardly any range of movement, you need to man them with Pilots instead of regular Clone Troopers the way it should be, and in order to man them properly the Clone Pilots have to have their legs hanging out the sides of the Gunships, which looks ridiculous.

I luckily haven't had the troop deployment platform fall out on me, but this strikes me as a very silly feature. The vehicles don't do that, so why add that feature into the toy?

Same thing with the grappling hooks. It took me like ten minutes to figure out I had to wrap the strings around the hooks to store them and then it took some doing to get the hooks mounted onto the Gunship without the strings unfurling again.

Finally, the range of movement on the front guns is reprehensible. Remove the stupid "launching missile" feature (THEY AREN'T MISSILE LAUNCHERS!) and put in ball joints so the guns can move properly!

I swear, sometimes I really wonder who the numbskulls are that Hasbro has working in their design department.

Well, that's all, had to rant, and where else to do it?

- Scack

dirtybones
11-19-2002, 10:20 AM
Wow

Jayspawn
11-19-2002, 11:13 AM
Thats quite a rant there Scackmgack. Well.....

The Republic Gunship is a great toy. It fits the figures well. You should be lucky to have Clone Pilots, I have not seen them yet. I don't think most people have them yet. The Deluxe Clonetrooper is another good toy. The figure is great, the removable armor is cool! Yes, the gun turrets are not exactly like the film, maybe we'll get better ones down the road. But the Gunship is cool enough and works for me. I think most people would agree with me.

Tell me, do you expect your Republic Gunship to do your laundry and buy your groceries too?

The Overlord Returns
11-19-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Jayspawn
Tell me, do you expect your Republic Gunship to do your laundry and buy your groceries too?

And why SHOULDN'T IT?????!!!???? ;)

jedi master sal
11-19-2002, 12:07 PM
I'll agree mostly with Scackmgack's comments.

There is really no excuse for putting out the clonepilots with the guns we got.

Sure the change was made late but still.
Yes, I bought many of the clonepilots (8 to date) but if we don't get the gunner pods, I'll just make them myself and incorporate the "cheesy" ones into the design.

Use some creativity. True the gunship should have been done better, but the thinking of Hasbro is such that this is a child's toy, (no matter the incessant demands of we collectors who clearly keep the line alive). With this in mind they make action features so the toy has more playability for kids. They are appealing to the kids in hopes that they will (as we did) become long term collectors.

Who of you remembers the droid factory from (I think) the early 80's?

Looking back on this the only redeeming quality that I remember and can compare to today is that you could build an R2 droid with the third leg. But it had extreme playability back then. I remember playing for hours making all kinds of funky combinations.

The third leg you say!

Yes, for those that are new to this or too young to remember, the third leg was not standard as it is in many of the astro droid being produced nowadays.

So, that shows that Kenner (who later Hasbro took over, I believe) was interested in placating the kid not the collector and Hasbro ahs continued this "tradition". Don't think that they don't know full well what collectors want. They do. But they also know that there are many of us, myself included, who will still buy everything they put out and just complain later.

In conclusion, the Gunship IS a cool... TOY and that's how we need to think of these things. Not movie accurate, but still looks like it and has some neat features.

Okay, enough of my rant.

Prince Xizor
11-19-2002, 12:50 PM
I agree with a couple of points he made. First, the grappling hook on the back is a pretty retarded idea. Its just plain annoying to have and it takes FOREVER to wrap up.

Second, yes I wish Hasbro did release the turrets as they are seen in the movie, and the ones they did release are kind of half-assed.

But with that said, I am still very pleased with my Gunship. It is one of the biggest and best vechicles that I own and if I had the money, I would buy 3 more.

LTBasker
11-19-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Scackmgack
you need to man them with Pilots instead of regular Clone Troopers the way it should be, and in order to man them properly the Clone Pilots have to have their legs hanging out the sides of the Gunships, which looks ridiculous.

1. No, regular Clones did man them in the movie. Look at pictures of the Clones inside, they have the basic footsoldier helmet and no coloring anywhere.
2. Then don't put the clone there, yank off the controls and use your imagination (gasp I know) that the clone are inside.

If you hated the Gunship so much...why did you buy it?

JEDIpartner
11-19-2002, 02:28 PM
that last line was THE question!

I like mine and I am pretty picky about certain things. I mean, I suppose I COULD have completely hated the Millennium Falcon for having only ONE quad laser cannon, but it was still a cool toy. I got the idea across. Total accuracy is not what TOYS are made for. Accuracy is for hobbyists who are into model building from scratch or from pro-style kits.

Toys are made for playablilty and for the kid/person to use their imaginations. Maybe we have lost sight as to what these were meant to be?

Tycho
11-19-2002, 03:43 PM
I love the Gunships, though Slave-One is my favorite E2 vehicle.

Now, the point of why I bothered to post:

What to do with the Grappling Hook threads!

1) Do not alter the toy, someday you'll wish it was in its authentic, mint TOY form, so that leaves us with (no scissors, and step 2)

2) extend both threads out as far as they will go, so that they are even on both sides, and straight.

3) grab both threads together, parallel and definitely not twisted, and carfully push them in through the holes they come out of the gunship in.

4) This process will take 10 minutes. Expect that and be patient!

5) The threads will start to go in easy, once you get the hang of it, but when you get about halfway, to 3/4 done, it will get harder.

6) Once they are close, make sure they go all the way in! Then, holding one all the way in, pull on a plastic hook just enough to attach it to the ship. Repeat with the other one once the first is in place.

7) You will have the thread perfectly stored (it is not visible nor accessable through the figure compartment) and none of it will be showing, plus your toy ship will be in mint condition.

8) Effort reaps reward. IMO, the grappling hooks were not necessary for this toy, but I suppose someone might want to make it carry a vehicle like the AT-TE, only something else (an old Kenner mini-rig???) in the course of play. That actually might look cool in a little embelished diorama. Remember the MLC-3 tank?

Anyway, if you follow these directions, you'll have no problem with the rope on your gunships.

ILvNataliePortman
11-19-2002, 03:51 PM
You people need to realize what these toys are made for. If you had the privilege of viewing the toy months before it was released, why didn't you not buy the toy in the first place if you had disliked it from the start? Return it.

On the other hand, I love my gun ship. It was much better than the $40 I spent on the X-Wing.

Beast
11-19-2002, 04:29 PM
The ship is scaled down, so full size gunner bubbles on a scaled down ship would have looked a hell of alot worse. So like it or not, Hasbro had to make concessions once Lucas added the gunner bubbles to the side of the ship. The Republic Gunship is one of the best Hasbro vehicles in years. It's right up there with the TIE Bomber, in my opinion. It's a toy people, not a scale minature. Maybe the Action Fleet version will please more picky people. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
11-19-2002, 06:51 PM
The turrets in the film look to big for the ship too. So I think Hasbro could have made the turrets with Clones in them and it would have looked fine. The whole thing about the turrets added late after Hasbro started production is BS. The Gunship came with the cut outs and brackets, so IMO, what was produced was planned from Square one. Please remember I said IMO. I'm sick of the attacks on this site. Thank you!

Jedi Master Silas
11-19-2002, 07:04 PM
I really like the Gunship and dont have many gripes about it at all. I definately liked it more after I opened it up.

Tycho
11-19-2002, 08:52 PM
Whoa! Let's hold on for a minute before we decide people are attacking each other.

I've read all the comments and statements like 'you people need to -this or that - ' isn't an attack, is it?

It's arguing for ones opinion.

If I started a thread on this site that argued "You people need to collect Star Wars figures!" I doubt there would be any replies because everyone here does collect figures and obviously agrees.

Or a thread "Darth Vader is cool." Again, what's the point of discussing that to death? We'd all say the same thing.

Let's appreciate differences of opinion as being good for discussion, and not attacks - even if you're in the minority on an opinion on something. I liked The Phantom Menace, so I'm in a minority around here for sure.

Am I missing something? An attack is something like "Tycho is an idiot. He always says idiotic things and sniffs that stupid Mouse Droid before he gives an opinion on anything! I don't like The Phantom Menace just because Tycho does like it."

Hey, I do say idiotic things - sometimes it's fun - but attack what I've got to say, not me. In a serious thread I may very well be making a serious point. Online, it's harder to tell tone, but when I write humor or sarcasm, I do my best to make it clear that is what it is.

But differences in opinions are still fine. Let's let people who think this thread is getting antagonistic speak up and tell us why they think so. I think the thread is going fine right now. You?

Patient Zero
11-19-2002, 09:12 PM
All opinions welcome

If you have an opinion, then state it and move on. Not everyone is going to have the same opinion as you. There is no need to make others have the same opinion as you. That only states a need for confirmation or reasurance for your own opinion. At which point you are either looking for attention, self confirmation or a group to belong to because you can not stand on your own two feet. Tell your ego to get over it! This thread has become a joke. Yes, it is only a SW toy but it is also reminesant of everything else in life. Lash out at me if you like, but it only says something about you and not someone else. I do not wish for anyone to allow themselves to feel threated by my words so I am speaking generally. Now I really have to go...I can smell my creamed corn burning.

jad
11-19-2002, 11:49 PM
Hey Tycho my opinion is that you rule!!! I liked the Phantom Menace too. :)

Jayspawn
11-20-2002, 12:00 AM
JarJar and Jedi Master Silas said it. It's a great toy. One of the best in a long time.

SplFrcsCWO
11-20-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
Who of you remembers the droid factory from (I think) the early 80's?

Looking back on this the only redeeming quality that I remember and can compare to today is that you could build an R2 droid with the third leg. But it had extreme playability back then. I remember playing for hours making all kinds of funky combinations.

The third leg you say!

Yes, for those that are new to this or too young to remember, the third leg was not standard as it is in many of the astro droid being produced nowadays.

That third leg was awesome!!!! I'm pretty sure the set was late '70s. I think those of us that grew-up with Star Wars had it best. Everything was revolutionary and groundbreaking. Now the toys are variations/improvements of ideas already done. My 6th B'day (within a year of Star Wars' release) was a Star Wars theme. I think just about every present I got was connected with Star Wars. The standouts were the Death Star and Luke's X-wing (I didn't get the Falcon until X-mas :( ). Each wave of figures or new vehicle/playset was a surprise itself. We had no clue how long the ride would last. I never imagined that 25 years later I would still be buying Star Wars figures!

Tycho
11-20-2002, 12:39 PM
The Death Star
The Millennium Falcon
and
The AT-AT

were my top 3 favorite SW toys (and favorite toys in general) as a kid!

Mandalorian Candidat
11-20-2002, 02:40 PM
Regardless of its perceived faults, I would love to get a gunship. I think it's a great looking toy and love the little extras/compatibilities that Hasbro put in with the EP2 ships. I just can't justify paying out $40 for it, that's all.

SplFrcsCWO
11-20-2002, 03:36 PM
Are the compartments under the wings supposed to hold anything special?

Tycho
11-20-2002, 07:01 PM
Figures can "smuggle themselves aboard" for the ride!

But weapons storage, etc. is the intention. However, you'll be tilting a heavier ship this way and that to get your smallest lightsaber hilts out of there, so I don't recommend it.

Jedi_Bates
11-20-2002, 07:21 PM
Go to this link if you want to solve your Gunship Grappling Problems:
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=swsaga/saga02gunship-back.jpg

If you still dont like the thing, then let me know because I'd be willing to trade generously for a few more. I think the Gunship is one of Hasbros best vehicles yet!!!

Tycho
11-20-2002, 08:43 PM
I agree the Gunship is one of Hasbro's best vehicles, but it is not THE best.

If you care to argue about it, 8 rapid-fire missles and 4 quick-release psysmic charges in my Slave-One would explosively disagree with you ;)

When we did the SSG Battle of the Machines (see the polls forums for all the maches in "Battle Time")

the Gunship had not been released yet...

the AT-AT won.

JANGO FETT's Slave-One was up there.

The TIE Bomber and Naboo Starfighter were also leaders of the pack.

I'd have to agree that these are all great vehicles!

BTW, don't you think an AT-TE with 6 poseable legs and all the shooting missles the thing could possibly carry would give all these great ships a run for their money?

A figure-scale size Millennium Falcon is about the only thing I can think of that could top everything possible!

(well, maybe a Blockade Runner or Star Destroyer).

SplFrcsCWO
11-20-2002, 09:16 PM
The AT-TE would make a great contender. The gunship/carrier would be icing on the cake. BTW you lost me on the Slave-One--what's "psysmic"?

Old Fossil
11-20-2002, 09:20 PM
Seismic, maybe? If so, I like the Tychoese version better.

SplFrcsCWO
11-21-2002, 12:33 AM
OH! I did not see that.

JEDIpartner
11-21-2002, 08:32 AM
Don't worry. Pretty soon we will be getting the "Republic Gunship- more fire power!"... whatever that means... Hahahaha...!

stillakid
11-21-2002, 12:50 PM
In regards to the front "missiles," I have a mixed opinions about them.

First, whenever a new ship comes into the house, the first thing my son wants to know is where the guns are. From what I've witnessed, the ability to fire "missiles" at his sister has the greatest attraction. Simply putting dormant gun replicas on a ship isn't very interesting.

However, because of the way they stick out, I'm not really sure about their practicality in a real world situation. If these really are "toys" made for "kids" then any designer would have to realize that these thin "sticks" poking out from the front of a toy are doomed to snap at some point by "rough play."

So the argument that these are "toys" doesn't hold a full glass of water yet neither does the suggestion that they are for "collectors." It seems that Hasbro is trying to please both crowds, yet ultimately will fail because of the compromise.

WesleySr
11-21-2002, 01:24 PM
Just if anyone is interested, here is a nice custom gun pods job that I found. Also included are the instructions on how to make them.

http://forums.rebelscum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001323

Darth Vellner
11-21-2002, 03:56 PM
DID HASBRO STOP MAKING STAR WARS TOYS??!!!!???!?!??!??

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????

NO!

SO......to say they NEVER made something(The death ray turrets )
is wrong to say at this time......How do you know that the little The death rayguns that came with the clone pilots are not temporary???
Just because we don't have it Right Now does NOT mean we will never get it!! How many resculpts and upgrades have we seen???
LOTS!!!

stillakid
11-22-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by WesleySr
Just if anyone is interested, here is a nice custom gun pods job that I found. Also included are the instructions on how to make them.

http://forums.rebelscum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001323

Those are very cool! See...it can be done (and should've).

JEDIpartner
11-22-2002, 10:32 AM
They look great... a little large, but great!

The only thing I don't like about them is how they impede access to the main hold. I'd probably break them off in a heartbeat if I tried to do this.

Jargo
11-24-2002, 09:30 PM
Very nice job. Agreed that they look a little large. Possibly he could have got them a tad smaller if he'd bent up the legs a bit more and hunkered the trooper down further. So you could only use the trooper for the turrets but so what if they look good. It does make the wing bubbles look rather paltry though. In comparison. But the effect is brilliant with the clear bubble turret and trooper inside. Looks excellent from the front. I'm probably going to go with the view that not all of the gunships in the conflict had their bubble turrets so mine will be without. I don't have the time or patience to craft my own and I'm not entirely satidfied with hasbro's solution so best option is to do without. For me that is. I shall just get two deluxe clonetroopers to flank the gunship instead.

Scackmgack
11-25-2002, 11:24 AM
Man, I expected a decent response to my post, but that was out of control!

I am VERY happy someone posted those Rebelscum pics of the custom death ray turrets. Let those who said full-size turrets would look bad on the Republic Gunship toy eat some crow when they look at those pictures. I wish I had the time, energy, and skill to make some of my own.

Per attacking people and what-not, obviously, as opinionated a post as mine begged strong response, but let it also be said that I am a perfectionist, so that was the genesis of my comments.

I still like my Gunship. It isn't perfect, but then again neither are most of the vehicles Hasbro puts out, most notably the TIE Fighter and Y-Wing IMO.

In the end, however, I don't think anyone should take this too seriously. Sure, I rant about issues I have with my Star Wars collection, but the rants come from the love I have for collecting the toys. It's a positive impetus to discuss these things, not a negative one. That's how a critical mind works: you wouldn't bother being critical if you didn't care.

Therefore, I suggest that, when you see people commenting negatively about a toy Hasblow puts out, keep in mind that the person making the comments is obviously "of the faith" to be bothering in the first place. The person making the comments is part of the family, not someone you need to be hostile towards.

Not that I took any offense. I think getting angry on message boards is a sure sign of loserdom, or not having much of a life outside the keyboard. There're enough things to get angry about in real life without dragging it onto the internet.

- Scack

JEDIpartner
11-25-2002, 02:50 PM
Well... I never said they would look like crap, but you have Troopers stuck inside a permanent aquarium... and, gee Wally... that makes me feel kinda bad. :(

SplFrcsCWO
11-26-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Well... I never said they would look like crap, but you have Troopers stuck inside a permanent aquarium... and, gee Wally... that makes me feel kinda bad. :(

Will someone think of the Clone Troopers' children?!?!

stad
11-26-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by SplFrcsCWO
Will someone think of the Clone Troopers' children?!?!

I don't think I want to-Aren't all the Clone's men?!

Tycho
11-26-2002, 03:35 PM
There are no adult Clones in tanks, which is why using Luke Bacta Tanks for Cloning Facilities doesn't work. Perhaps Spaarti Cloning Chambers work differently, like for Emperor Palpatine.

However Kaminoan Clones are taken out by some early viable age, and then, as we see with the 5 year-olds that look 10 (Boba's age), they are growth accelerated chemically or with special food.

So there are no adult bodies in tubes. And probably the oldest in tubes are under 3 years of age - depends if Kaminoans change diapers I suppose.

Jargo
11-26-2002, 08:32 PM
Y'know what i want to see? One o' them there Cloners in that hovering supervision chair thingy. That's really cool. Hovering around up in the rafters where the foetus' are maturing into babiy clones. That white hover chair all snug and round with bright headlights on top and underneath and a clobner just easing the day away bobbing around in the air. That's really cool that is. What's this got to do with gunship bubbles? It's the shape, the round shape got me thinking.

Oh yeah, gunship question - considering how the pilot is molded leaning to one side, how wel does he actually fit into the cockpit, Do you have to squeeze to get him in or does he slip in like it fits like a glove? Do his hands end up above or below the control panel? How far off the canopy is his head when all snugly fitted into place? Does he rattle around when you move the ship or sit tight?

Okay that was more than one question. So I lied - gonna hold it against me?

Tycho
11-26-2002, 10:22 PM
The Cloner's little work-craft seem similar to miniature Slave-One's, and they also look like they could come from some joining of Mandal Motors and Kuat Drive Yards technology.

Yes the pilot fits in the cockpit.

Hands under the control consoles, so you can't see them. It's hard to pose him like he's grabbling controls down there, but it's doable.

You don't have to squeeze him to get him in there, you just have to make sure his lower arms / hands get under the console, then he slides in fine.

He doesn't rattle around in there once he's in there. He's a pretty secure fit.

His head doesn't brush the canopy when you close it. Neither does the co-pilot's in case you had another question. :D

stillakid
11-27-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
It's hard to pose him like he's grabbling controls down there, but it's doable.

Grabbing what controls down there?:eek:

Jargo
11-27-2002, 02:46 PM
Is the gunship on a joystick control like a helicoptor do you think? Hard to tell from official pictures....

I found a picture the other day that looks to be from the trailer or something and the clone pilot seems to have a red streak on the top of his helmet not a yellow one. Could be lighting but I have a very very similar picture that's a movie still and it shows up as yellow with thsame apparent lighting source and everything. Do you think it's possible that at one point they considered having wing colors for the troopers, red group, yellow group blue group and green group. Yellow group worked the AT-TE and the LAAT, Red group would have worked the gunships and blue group presumably would have been infantry with green group possibly being backup or something. I don't know, just chewing the idea around. I thought it might be kinda fun to have a gunship with pilots that had red helmet markings instead though. Maybe even tart up a gunship with new colors. y'know the lime green/yellow bits? do those differently but obviously leave the republic maroon/red alone. Just mulling things rouns as possibilities for livening up my collection. Gotta do something with all that boring Jedi brown everywhere.

here's that pic, the top one is the mid production shot and the bottom one is the film still.

SplFrcsCWO
11-29-2002, 03:18 PM
That's interesting. I never noticed it before. I put a red guy in the back anyway because I was short yellow troopers.

Turbowars
11-30-2002, 09:44 AM
Well guys I put a custom turret together myself and it was very easy. I got the ideas from Koda on RS. It's not 100% done, but IMHO it looks a hell of alot better than Hasbros sorry turrets. Here's a shot.

JEDIpartner
11-30-2002, 10:08 AM
I don't think that it was a case of the lighting. It appears that there is also a different emblem on the helmet as well!

Turbowars
11-30-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Well... I never said they would look like crap, but you have Troopers stuck inside a permanent aquarium... and, gee Wally... that makes me feel kinda bad. :( Partnr, The turrets Koda and I customed open, so don't feel bad;) check it out. Heres a shot

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-30-2002, 10:14 AM
:eek: That's creepy! I don't remember that from the trailer at all!

stillakid
11-30-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
:eek: That's creepy! I don't remember that from the trailer at all!

This is actually a remake of a Travolta flick. Some of the older viewers might recall this:

Turbowars
11-30-2002, 11:02 AM
HeHe. Did you get expressed and written permission to use that photo? LOL I love it Kid!!!

Chiesa
11-30-2002, 02:42 PM
Great thread!! :)

Turbo glad to see that your turret turned out mighty darn fine!! I just wished I had like more time and all to do these stuff!

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

clonehead
11-30-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by dirtybones
Wow

most definatly

JEDIpartner
12-01-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
Partnr, The turrets Koda and I customed open, so don't feel bad;) check it out...

Thank you for allaying my fears. Now I don't feel so bad! Nice work, gentlemen!