PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the GRAPPLING ROPES on the Republic Gunships

Tycho
11-19-2002, 03:45 PM
I suppose this is useful information, so I copied my post in another thread and made it a title thread.

This could have been included with the Republic Gunship Owner's Manual, but oh well:

1) Do not alter the toy, someday you'll wish it was in its authentic, mint TOY form, so that leaves us with (no scissors, and step 2)

2) extend both threads out as far as they will go, so that they are even on both sides, and straight.

3) grab both threads together, parallel and definitely not twisted, and carfully push them in through the holes they come out of the gunship in.

4) This process will take 10 minutes. Expect that and be patient!

5) The threads will start to go in easy, once you get the hang of it, but when you get about halfway, to 3/4 done, it will get harder.

6) Once they are close, make sure they go all the way in! Then, holding one all the way in, pull on a plastic hook just enough to attach it to the ship. Repeat with the other one once the first is in place.

7) You will have the thread perfectly stored (it is not visible nor accessable through the figure compartment) and none of it will be showing, plus your toy ship will be in mint condition.

8) Effort reaps reward. IMO, the grappling hooks were not necessary for this toy, but I suppose someone might want to make it carry a vehicle like the AT-TE, only something else (an old Kenner mini-rig???) in the course of play. That actually might look cool in a little embelished diorama. Remember the MLC-3 tank?

Anyway, if you follow these directions, you'll have no problem with the rope on your gunships.

JediBoulton
11-19-2002, 03:52 PM
10 MINS MY BACKSIDE!!!! -- It took me 10-15 mins to do just ONE!
Once I finished that one I started the next one and when I was almost finished with that one -- I knocked the other one off and pulled it out 1/4 of the way.

If you are interested in opening your own business of doing this -- I will pay

Tycho
11-19-2002, 04:09 PM
Push both strings in exactly parallel, and together!

Please re-read my instructions above.

Prince Xizor
11-19-2002, 04:17 PM
Ha! 10 minutes! You must be a master string pusher througher.

It took me like 20. They kept getting uneven as I slide them through and then they would start to slide out.

I swear to God if I am playing with the thing and they accidentally come out again, out come the scissors, and off they go.

JediBoulton
11-19-2002, 04:30 PM
TYCHO !! -- You are wanting me to take ANOTHER 10 min of my life and dedicate it to shoving string into my Gunship?!?!

RE-READ MY Comment Above -- I WILL PAY !!!

Prince Xizor -- scissors are starting to look good about now, However Tycho mentioned in another tread that I would be sorry if I did this. He's probably right -- but I am not going to tell HIM that -- HAHA! I will try it his way ONCE! -- Then ????

kdp100
11-19-2002, 05:57 PM
I wrapped the strings around the grappling-hooks, hooked them into the hollows on the side of each hook, then connected each hook to the gunship.
String's out of the way until such time as Hasbro release an AT-TE that can be connected to the gunship by these hooks!

:)

Darth Sidious
11-19-2002, 06:13 PM
I followed Tycho's advice that he gave in his Gunship review a long time ago (Basically the same thing he said here), and I think it really works great. The first string took me about 10 minutes, then I got the hang of it and the second one only took me about 5. I almost enjoyed it! I could open a business doing that...They haven't been pulled back out since. :D

LTBasker
11-19-2002, 07:24 PM
Uses?

Able to pick up down Clone Troopers in a hostile situation and even swing-kick some Battle Droids on the way out.

Able to be connected to the Arena and pull it over therefore squashing several Droids.

Tie up some Droids and take'em for a ride!

A way to take down some pursuing Droid Fighters by pulling their wings off after connecting and kicking it into top speed. :D

SplFrcsCWO
11-20-2002, 03:32 PM
I managed to wrap mine around the "hook" without any difficulty. I just picked up another gunship today and tried the "threading" trick. Piece of cake and great idea! I fed a curved suture needle inside to grap the strings and pulled them up. Took 2 minutes at most.

Jedi_Bates
11-20-2002, 08:20 PM
Having trouble with the grappling hooks?
Go here:
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=swsaga/saga02gunship-back.jpg

Hope that helps!!

Jayspawn
11-20-2002, 11:51 PM
I just wraped the string around the hooks and attached the hooks to the ship. I don't have to take apart anything and they are out of the way.

Darth Vellner
11-21-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Jayspawn
I just wraped the string around the hooks and attached the hooks to the ship. I don't have to take apart anything and they are out of the way.

Thats what I did .....

WesleySr
11-21-2002, 01:38 PM
Tycho, you are the man. I tried wrapping the strings around the hooks and everytime I touched them, they fell off. It only took me about 5 minutes to shove the strings back up in the hole and it looks ALOT better. Thanks for sharing that with us.

SNAYSON
11-21-2002, 03:52 PM
i wrapped the strings around the hooks and pushed the hooks to the peg . out of the way and still usable. not cut strings and did not waste not even 5 min.

Turbowars
11-22-2002, 07:40 PM
If all else fails, cut them off. ;) JK. Wrapping them on the hook is the best way and you wont go crazy as you would with packing them in the holes.