PDA

View Full Version : Hulk movie

Jedi Master Silas
11-19-2002, 11:13 PM
Anyone know if they are going to make The Hulk character totally CG for the movie???

Beast
11-19-2002, 11:21 PM
From what I read, that is how they will be doing the Hulk for the movie. It will certainly help realise the charecter a lot better then Lou Ferrigno in green make-up. Especially since the Hulk is supposed to be huge. He can finally be properly realized on screen. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi Master Silas
11-19-2002, 11:46 PM
Where did you read this at ?

Beast
11-19-2002, 11:50 PM
I've been following the production of the movie. AICN and a lot of the other sites that have leaked info about upcoming movies have confirmed it. He pretty much has to be CGI, since at one point he gets about 15' tall. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
11-20-2002, 08:16 AM
He's also going to be naked...tee hee....

James Boba Fettfield
11-20-2002, 09:22 AM
Eric Bana (Black Hawk Down) stars as scientist Bruce Banner, whose inner demons transform him in the aftermath of a catastrophic experiment. Bana plays both the human Banner and – through groundbreaking visual effects technology provided by the Oscar®-winning Industrial Light and Magic – the superhuman Hulk.

I took that from thehulk.com. That kind of sums up the Hulk being ILM cgi.

Jedi Master Silas
11-20-2002, 05:32 PM
Oh ok well if ILM does the CG then it will be good. Thanks for the website JBF.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-25-2002, 11:25 AM
Eh, i'm kinda worried about him being naked though. Kinda makes you wonder how long he'll be on screen or if he'll have to be blocked around and stuff. Just give the guy some pants (purple if you want to) and let him do his thing.

The Overlord Returns
11-25-2002, 11:41 AM
well...I think they plan on making hulk too huge to realistically keep even a shred of purple pant that Banner might wear.... I've seen a prototype for the hulk movie figure...it's naked, but not........erm..........anatomically correct. Perhaps something goes away when he becomes the hulk?

Lord Malakite
11-25-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
I've seen a prototype for the hulk movie figure...it's naked, but not........erm..........anatomically correct. Perhaps something goes away when he becomes the hulk?

Sort of like a tadpole. :D

James Boba Fettfield
11-25-2002, 12:28 PM
It's a prototype, and they didn't pant his pants. The newest prototype pictures have his shorts painted purple. Mystery solved.

Patient Zero
12-24-2002, 12:19 PM
Hulk news:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/24/film.hulk.reut/index.html

Jedi Master Silas
01-09-2003, 01:53 PM
My husband asked this question.....will Hulk speak???? He says if he does it will ruin it. Anyone know??

The Overlord Returns
01-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Hulk spoke in the comics....how would it ruin it in the film?

Jedi Master Silas
01-09-2003, 05:27 PM
I dont know thats just what he said.....I think maybe its becasue he didnt speak on the tv series........thats just his opinion.

Eternal Padawan
01-10-2003, 09:47 AM
I can't wait for the sequel. Hulk II: Joe Fixit. He'll be talking up storm in that one. :evil:

Jedi Master Silas
01-10-2003, 01:20 PM
What?? Joe Fixit? That sounds stupid.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-23-2003, 09:22 PM
The hulk Trailer has been confirmed during the first quarter of the super bowl. Check out the ad here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index

I cannot wait! :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-24-2003, 12:29 PM
I just watched that trailer. I couldn't get real good views of the Hulk to judge fairly, but it was cool. The highlight of it for me was seeing Nick Nolte look normal for once.

Eternal Padawan
01-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Silas
What?? Joe Fixit? That sounds stupid.

Did you ever read the Incredible Hulk comics? At one point, the hulk ( the gray version) was a strong arm for the Mafia working out of Las Vegas. He'd be dressed up in custom made three piece suits, complete with fedoras and dapper little canes. It sounds goofy, but trust me, it was an interesting run.

James Boba Fettfield
01-24-2003, 02:19 PM
Okay, I've held out long enough on this. Here is the Super Bowl Trailer for the Hulk. If you want to wait until the first quarter premiere of it, don't watch this. If you're greedy like myself and one other person I know, then click away.

http://www.superherohype.com/cgi-bin/news/fullnews.cgi?newsid1043430241,82458,

The Overlord Returns
01-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Saw it earlier today, and color me impressed. Hulk looks great, and the trailer just really makes me want to see this.....

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
If you're greedy like myself and one other person I know, then click away.

http://www.superherohype.com/cgi-bin/news/fullnews.cgi?newsid1043430241,82458,

:D Yeah, but it was so worth waiting!! Great trailer!

derek
01-24-2003, 06:36 PM
i know this was just a teaser, but they should of showed more of the hulk. i would of ended the trailer with a full frontal shot of the hulk letting out a loud growl, like he did on the TV show. (does he do that in the comics?)

that shot of the hulk spinning around and throwing that army tank like an olympic hammer thrower was awesome.:)

James Boba Fettfield
01-24-2003, 09:46 PM
I'm glad he didn't appear to be some King Kong size monster. Some of the earlier reports I read on this said he was really large in this trailer, but I didn't noticed that being the case. Yeah, that tank throw was the coolest part of it all. At first I thought...Yeah right.....then I reminded myself the movie is based on a comic book and that I shouldn't be basing it on real life since the story revolves around a man who can transform into a green monster. Yeah, the movie looks to be good. Good job Mr. Lee.

Lord Malakite
01-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by derek
that shot of the hulk spinning around and throwing that army tank like an olympic hammer thrower was awesome.:)

I thought that scene was pretty awsome too.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-24-2003, 10:44 PM
I'm very very excited about this flick too. I had heard the same thing about being "king kong" sized, but i think it's just the way they shot that scene. (the one w/ the Hulk looking at the army as it comes in). Too bad the figures for it suck though. :D

Jerjerrod
01-25-2003, 01:17 AM
I've tried many many sites to link me to the Super Bowl Hulk ad and NONE of them work. I guess they're all busy!

I wanna see I wanna see I wanna see!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

derek
01-25-2003, 08:27 AM
i'm just glad the hulk is going to have pants. a naked hulk just presented too many problems for a film based on a comic book.;)

jpak001
01-26-2003, 02:03 PM
Ha Ha!!!!! "you won't like me when I'm angry" That line just kills me! Where's Lou Ferigno ??

Seriously though, looks pretty cool. Hulks face looks a little too calm to me (he's supposed to be a raging beast right?). I'll reserve final opinion until I see the flick.

JediTricks
01-26-2003, 06:38 PM
I totally hated the way Hulk looked in the ad, way too CG and not enough "angry hulking thing". I dunno if I'll even bother to see this now, I was turned off before by the toys but this really drove that home.

Gungan Warrior
01-26-2003, 07:34 PM
After the prviews I've seen I saw that he was CG but in some parts he might not be!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Boba Fettfield
01-26-2003, 07:39 PM
Uh.......did you see the same preview we all did?

JediTricks
01-26-2003, 07:56 PM
Yeah, just different eyes. :crazed: :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-26-2003, 08:08 PM
I didn't mean you. I meant Gungan Warrior. I respect your opinion of it, I just wish I knew where GW mistook a cgi Hulk for a non cgi Hulk.

evenflow
01-27-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I totally hated the way Hulk looked in the ad, way too CG and not enough "angry hulking thing". I dunno if I'll even bother to see this now, I was turned off before by the toys but this really drove that home.

I have to agree. I did not like the way it looked at all. I will still go see it though.

JediTricks
01-27-2003, 06:58 PM
Ah, gotcha JBF. I don't remember any of the shots of the Hulk looking like they were practical effects either.

2-1B
01-27-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by jpak001
Ha Ha!!!!! "you won't like me when I'm angry" That line just kills me! Where's Lou Ferigno ??

He did film a cameo! :)

QLD
01-27-2003, 09:50 PM
I don't think the CGI Hulk blends in with the background well at all. I will probably still go see it, but I have serious doubts as to how good it will be.

12inch Lando
01-28-2003, 05:49 AM
Whoa boy... I was not impressed. I admit, I may have had my hopes up a bit with all the praise this clip got over at AICN before I saw the thing but jeez.... It's still early. The Hulk did look too big to me too. I haven't read the comic book in a really long time so things may have changed but I do distinctly remember reading in "Marvel Universe" circa 1983 (here I go ageing myself) which was a comprehensive encyclopedia of info on all Marvel characters that the Hulk is 7 feet tall. This was also how they tried to portray the 6'5" Lou Ferigno in the TV show back in the day. The construct in the movie trailer looks to be about 9 feet or so. Check out his size whilst tossing the tank.

The Overlord Returns
04-10-2003, 12:26 PM
It's the best picture I've seen of the hulk creation to date.......He is damn huge...clearly ten feet tall.....perhaps more so......overall though, I really like it:

James Boba Fettfield
04-10-2003, 12:39 PM
And I will bring you the hulk DOGS! Here (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news03/hdog1.jpg) and here. (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news03/hdog2.jpg)

Thanks be to Dark Horizons for these pics.

As for the Hulk, he looks a lot better when he's moving.

Beast
04-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Looks like another winner for Marvel. Would be nice if a DC franchise could get off the ground and actually not suck. We haven't had a good DC property film since the original Batman movie, and to a lesser extent, Batman Returns. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
04-10-2003, 12:46 PM
I don't get it. If Bruce Banner is only about 6 feet, how the heck can he grow to 10' when he turns into the Hulk? Wouldn't he have a lot of stretch marks? When he turns back to normal he'd be flabby all over from his streched skin.

The Overlord Returns
04-10-2003, 12:50 PM
Isn't the better question just how do his pants stay on him?

Beast
04-10-2003, 12:54 PM
Well, it's a super hero movie. It's not exactly supposed to be the height of realism. I hope that they don't go to extreme lengths in the movie to explain how his body can change like it does. It would take away a bit of the magic of the charecter. I'm more then happy with not being beaten over the head with explanations how the X-Men, Spider-Man, and Daredevil's powers work. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
04-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Agreed. Suspension of disbelief is key to these sort of films......

It;s no differant from any explanation as to how Sauron doesn't dissapear when he is wearing the ring of power.

Beast
04-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
Isn't the better question just how do his pants stay on him?
Let us not ask, let us just rejoice that they do. I don't think we really need to see the Hulk's big green package hanging out. Or the giant buttcheeks flapping when he runs. :eek: :dead:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
04-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Egads!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-21-2003, 05:32 PM
the new trailer is up at www.apple.com/trailers It's the international trailer and has some really sweet visuals of the Hulk. Enjoy!! :D

mm74md
04-22-2003, 11:39 AM
I'm not a comic book reader, but I always love the comic book hero movies. This one looks great. Maybe not as good as Spiderman or 1989 Batman, but looks to be fun to watch! I can't wait for it. A good summer for movies!

James Boba Fettfield
05-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Ok, I saw the new trailer with X2 last night, and Jedi Master Guyute informed me that it was online this morning, so I'll post the link and give the credit to Logan, I mean Guyute.

Hulk Smash! (http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/the_hulk/trailer_5/)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-02-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
Ok, I saw the new trailer with X2 last night, and Jedi Master Guyute informed me that it was online this morning, so I'll post the link and give the credit to Logan, I mean Guyute.

Hulk Smash! (http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/the_hulk/trailer_5/)

That's right, it's X2 opening day, call me Logan for the remainder of the day!! :D

Yeah, that trailer is delicious. I nearly wet myself when he swats that missle out of his path. Brilliant. Gonna be a good summer for movies. :D

tagmac
05-06-2003, 05:06 PM
I just bought the Hulk tv movies today, and I have to say, the new Hulk doesn't hold a candle to Lou Ferrigno's portrayal! They'd have been better off hiring Brock Lesner (or someone else of that size) to play the part - it would have been much better. I can't get over the computer-generated Hulk......looks too cartoony. I will see the movie regardless, but after seeing the new trailer the other night, I can't help but feel like I'm going to see "The Incredible SHREK." :D

derek
05-06-2003, 05:32 PM
I can't get over the computer-generated Hulk......looks too cartoony. I will see the movie regardless, but after seeing the new trailer the other night, I can't help but feel like I'm going to see "The Incredible SHREK."

i couldn't of said it better..............i hope it's good, but i'm afraid we're gonna get another godzilla.:cry:

Eternal Padawan
05-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Yes, but where are your Rex Smith/Ben Affleck and John Rhys Davies/Michael Clarke Duncan comparisons? ;)

Or even a Nicholas Hammond/Tobey Maguire showdown?

I have to admit, I had to choose between Catch Me If You Can and the Hulk telelfilms for my DVD purchase today, and I went with Bill Bixby. :) I like the how the booklet in the DVD refers to the run of the Spider-Man live action show as "mercifully short." :D OUCH!

QLD
05-06-2003, 05:55 PM
I feel the same way as tagmac and derek. I HOPE it's good.....but it looks.....well......bad.

JediTricks
06-04-2003, 01:55 AM
They showed a much longer trailer for the film at tonight's show of Matrix Reloaded, and OH MY does this thing look bad, especially in the CG animation. I'm talking "steaming pile of vomit" bad. Just bleah, awful, yuck. This audience groaned all the way through, both at the plot stuff they showed and the animation. I'm definitely going to avoid this film now.

2-1B
06-04-2003, 03:47 AM
Lou Ferrigno is looking harder than ever, they should have brought him back! A cameo is not good enough . . . I want Lou ! ! ! :mad:

Yeah, the actual Hulk character is probably going to suck but this movie will be worth seeing for the one-two punch of greaziness from Sam Elliot and Nick Nolte.

Nick Nolte is in this movie. NICK NOLTE ! ! ! :crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-04-2003, 09:55 AM
are you people mad?!?!?!? The Hulk looks amazing!!! I for one think the CGI looks awesome and those who saw the screening this past weekend in Chicago are saying it looks even better than what we're seeing. I hope this movie rules the summer. cause it deserves to. :D

2-1B
06-04-2003, 11:43 AM
Well . . . even if The Hulk doesn't look better than I've seen already . . . there's always Jennifer Connelly. ;)

Eternal Padawan
06-04-2003, 11:21 PM
The Hulk looks like a full body version of the foam gloves they are shilling at Wal-Mart. That ain't a compliment boys and girls.

Fake.

FAKE.

FAKE!

jjreason
06-04-2003, 11:42 PM
Looks fake to me too, based on the Dodge commercials they're showing up here. Im hoping this movie is a big tip o' the cap to Bruce Jones - very little Hulk until the last reel.

I was actually very surprised at how crappy he DID look. Im still hoping those are graphics from something else, but I'm frighteningly sure they aren't.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Personally, i don't know what to tell you guys. To me, the special effects look very well done and according to first screening reports, they look far improved than what we're seeing in the trailers.

CGI is still quite in its infancy at this point and for that, i say the Hulk looks amazing. Hell, he looks amazing regardless. I don't know what you folks wanted when it comes to a Hulk movie, but the Hulk is a big, green monster which only computers could bring to life. From what i've seen, he looks much better than Yoda and Gollum. Sorry, but no bodybuilder of any size could take the place of the true glory of the Hulk. :D

jjreason
06-04-2003, 11:52 PM
As long as he's stompin' mad and on the rampage, that's worth 10 bucks to me. No butt kickin' like a Hulk butt kickin', regardless of whether or not he looks like big green foam Hulk gloves from head to toe. :D

The Overlord Returns
06-05-2003, 08:42 AM
Can someone show me a real Hulk so that I can decide how "fake" the movie hulk looks?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-05-2003, 09:13 AM
lol Overlord, I shall mark this day down for it's the only time I agree with that comment and must chuckle. Don't let this brief alliance get to your head though. (j/k) :D

I still can't wait for this movie. Going to be blow every other summer flick out of the water.

2-1B
06-05-2003, 11:25 AM
See, for awhile I was really bothered by the Hulk's face but the more I see it, the more of Eric Bana I can see in there - so I'm warming up to it. :)

I don't have to warm up to Jennifer Connelly, I've been down with her since 7th grade - 1991's "Career Opportunities" :happy:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-08-2003, 02:05 AM
Newsweek has a delightful article on Ang Lee and his struggle bringing us, "Hulk."

BEWARE OF SPOILERS (I ALREADY KNEW SOME OF THEM, SO THEY DIDN'T BOTHER ME. READ AT OWN RISK)
ONCE AGAIN, ARTICLE HAS SOME SPOILER ACTION.

still with me? Enjoy! :D
http://www.msnbc.com/news/922790.asp?cp1=1

jjreason
06-08-2003, 02:30 AM
I saw a new trailer today, with a lot more Hulk in it than I had seen previously. He looks "plasticy" or something - based on the real Hulks we got kickin around here. Something about the skin tone maybe - too close to the frickin' toys they got out right now. Honestly, I liked the powdered green of the Ferigno days more than this dark colour. The final tally will come in once I've plopped down money to watch....and even if he's obviously CG looking, the movie can still kick butt. I wasn't all that impressed with Gollum or Treebeard right off the bat either, but I got used to them as the movie went along.

2-1B
06-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Reason, I wasn't one to hop on the Gollum bandwagon either . . . he looked very good but still fake. ;)

Guyote, I read the EW article and I thought it was quite fun! Ang Lee doing some of the motion capture for the Hulk? AWESOME ! :crazed:

tagmac
06-11-2003, 10:34 PM
I still think they should have gotten Brock Lesnar to play the Hulk.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-14-2003, 11:07 AM
I got home from columbus last night and my dad had gotten two tickets to advanced screening of Hulk on tuesday, but i gotta work!!! :( Argh!!! Mike Mad!! Mike Smash!

El Chuxter
06-14-2003, 12:33 PM
I'm with Guyote. The Hulk looks amazing! The expression in the eyes is incredible, much better than Gollum. My biggest problem with most CG characters so far is that the eyes always look fake. But I don't see that in the jade giant.

Besides, Ang Lee, Jennifer Connelly, the Hulk. . . really, how can you go wrong? Even if they had a Harryhausen stop motion puppet, I have a feeling this movie will be the best comic movie yet, or a close second to X2.

jpak001
06-14-2003, 08:59 PM
I'm totally looking forward to this flick! I dig those trailer scenes where he's running and making those huge jumps (just like in the comics).

I think the Hulk himself looks very well done, and it doesn't bother me at all if he looks a little cartoony at times. I mean after all it is a movie based on a comic book, right? I think I'll just watch and enjoy it for what it is (hopefully a "hulk smash" fest).

mrmiller
06-16-2003, 02:19 PM
Story and Plot first, special effects second. If the story blows, it doesn't matter how good the Hulk looks. If the story is great, then a sub-par looking Hulk will not matter much.

=MATT=

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-17-2003, 09:54 PM
I'm purchasing my tickets for "Hulk" on friday. I'm getting tickets to the 10:30 am showing so i can see it before work w/ my mum and then possibly for the 10:15 pm showing so i can see it after work with my lady friend. I could be done watching it tonight cause of the advanced showing i had passes to, but nooooooo, Pepsi needed me to work!! Bleh! heheheheheheehehe :D

bigbarada
06-18-2003, 12:57 AM
I saw Ebert and Roeper's review for Hulk and they both talked about how much they liked the story and performances by the actors; but they seemed to be split on the CG Hulk. Ebert thought he looked like crap and was the only weak point of the movie, Roeper thought that Hulk looked amazing in close-ups but moved too jerky in the long distance shots. Nevertheless, they gave it two thumbs up. They both agreed that the movie managed to make Hulk (whom they considered to be one of the more boring superheroes) an interesting character.

I'm not really one to put too much stock in professional movie reviewers, I just thought this might help some of you decide whether to spend $3.50 on a ticket or not.

As for me, I think the effects look great from what I've seen so far. They don't necessarily look real, but they still look awesome (I grew up during the OT of Star Wars and the Indiana Jones trilogy, so I'm used to crappy special effects). I've noticed that the better special effects gets, the more unrealistic the audiences' expectation are. Does nobody remember the floppy rubber masks, jerky stop-motion puppets and black matte lines of all the pre-CG special effects films? Yet those are considered to be some of the greatest films of all time. As long as it's a good movie, the quality of the special effects is secondary.

I passed on X2 and Matrix 2 (just not interested in either of them); but I will definitely see The Hulk on Friday!

Beast
06-18-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I've noticed that the better special effects gets, the more unrealistic the audiences' expectation are. Does nobody remember the floppy rubber masks, jerky stop-motion puppets and black matte lines of all the pre-CG special effects films? Yet those are considered to be some of the greatest films of all time. As long as it's a good movie, the quality of the special effects is secondary.
I really think that many have forgotten. Or that they place those physical effects above and beyond anything that can be done on a computer. I guess the fact that it was done a computer is the first problem. They hear computer and think that the job is easier.

And director's will tell you the same thing. The audiences are so jaded anymore that the minute they find out that somthing is done in CGI it's inherintly considered bad. If you get the T2 Extreme DVD James Cameron and Stan Winston discuss the exact same topic in the CGI discussion featurette. :)

MTFBWy and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
06-18-2003, 01:46 AM
You're right JJB, many people are just anti-CG.

I think many of the computer effects are actually harder to do than conventional effects. I'm taking classes in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator in college right now and I am completely amazed at how much more complex and difficult a simple drawing becomes. What I could whip out within a couple of hours using a pen and paper takes me days and weeks to do using these advanced computer programs, and the results are still not as controlled and precise as I could create by hand.

So when people claim that CG effects are easier, they obviously don't know what they are talking about.

JediTricks
06-18-2003, 05:02 PM
I wasn't even sure if they used practicals or CG effects for the film before I saw the trailers, but the second I saw that green mass on screen, it looked bad to me and was plainly obvious which process was being used. CG movement and skin aren't up to the level where they're totally convincing for main-focus characters IMO, and that's with top-quality work, the Hulk doesn't even look as good as said top-quality work to me. The ads currently running look video-game-quality, maybe slightly better but nowhere near as convincing as a practical is. Part of that is lighting, part of that is textures, part of that is movement - all of which work better with practical effects, even puppets, since they really exist. The eye will accept some levels of animation as real within some contexts, but within the real world settings that the camera is capturing, the animation stands out as being different (hence, Jabba in ANH looks not so great). This is why the Hulk doesn't look that great to me in the advertising, at no point does he look real to me in the majority of shots.

CG camerawork never feels real to me either, in animation the camera is defined only by the imagination of the artists, but in real world shooting the camera has to obey the laws of physics, the more it doesn't seem to do this, the more distracting it becomes.

Also, his dark green color may have something to do with it, they showed test-animation of the Hulk without hair and in fleshtones and he looked a little more realistic to me, though this was in a computer realm without a background so I can't say for sure if this would be the same issue on a real background.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-20-2003, 10:28 AM
Man, am I draggin' this morning. Saw a midnight showing last night and all I have to say is that I am glad I paid $0.00 for that movie. My new brother-in-law works at a movie theater so he got us in.

For the record, I had zero interest in seeing this movie. I'm not a comic book superhero fan. Didn't like Spiderman, didn't see Daredevil, but I dug XMen big time. The trailer showing the Hulk flailing around like a jumping bean really turned me off. When the TV spots came out stressing that it was critically acclaimed (Ebert & Roeper) I thought that maybe there was more to the movie than at first glance. When the opportunity arose to lose 3+ hrs. of sleep last night, I took it.

First off, the movie was designed to look like a comic book. Tons of funky wipes, split screens, inserts, etc. It looked like the editor was taking a cue from 24. The intro where Bruce Banner's younger dad is experimenting with starfish and sea cucumbers sets up the movie well, but at the same time feels rushed.

It looked to me as if a lot of time was spent on the script because they tried to establish the relationships between the four main characters (Banner, Nick Nolte, Jennifer Connelly, and Sam Elliott). Maybe because I was tired or because I've never picked up a Hulk comic and don't know any backstory except for the gamma radiation bit, I could not honestly figure out some of the main plot points. What the hell was that damn green mushroom cloud supposed to be? What was up with Nolte's character being so antagonistic to Banner? And what was up with that whole fight scene at the end?

As for the Hulk itself, the fight scenes were pretty good. The one with the dogs was really comical. I hated how they made the Hulk so friggin indestructible. He gets shot repeatedly with bullets, missiles, and other crap yet they bounce off him like Superman. He was way too powerful, IMO. They didn't give him any weaknesses to make him more human. Nolte had a pretty good role, but he looks like his Malibu DUI picture the whole way through.

My take on the movie is this: if you weren't into the TV show or into the comics you probably won't like it. If Hulk is your thing, go to the matinee because you'll probably kick yourself for paying the full price. The screening I attended was bought out by a local comic book store, which is the most popular in the county. They could only fill 70 out of 300 seats to a movie touted as one of the biggest of the summer. Those people were supposed to be the hardcore fans and there was little cheering or anything else going on except for the occasional jeer.

I predict this movie will make about $80 million or so the first weekend then drop off big time. All the fans will see it the first weekend, then that's it. It will be lucky to make $150 million.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-20-2003, 01:12 PM
Gonna hafta disagree with you Mandalorian Candidat on this one, i just back and this movie was amazing. As you have set up, you aren't really a fan of the comic book movie and whatnot, so i'll just take that as maybe why you didn't like it. For me, everything was laid out perfectly. I understand everything wonderfully and the movie to me, seemed amazing. The CGI, while not perfect, is miles ahead of Yoda and above Gollum. I'd say on a scale of 1-10 CGI, this is a definite 9.999999999999999999999. As for nothing hurting him, the hulk is nearly indestructible, thus how nothing much would hurt him.

As for how it was shot, i loved how it was set up like a comic book, it was really awesome. It was pretty much just like reading the comic. Every character was very well done and the Hulk just looked awesome. Yet, this is also a very good drama in some spots cause it sets up a lot of stuff about Bruce and his past. My opinion: if you like comics or even enjoy a good action-drama story, you should like this. Lee didn't hold onto the origins of the story perfectly, but he uses it in ways which shouldn't offend the non-anal retentive fanboy. I loved the comic and i still loved this flick. I think it was better than all comic book movies thus far (X2 aside, i'm a fan of both). This isn't your typical comic book movie. THe hulk has always had a tone of jekyl (sp?) and hyde to him, and this just proves it. I do hope this movie makes what it deserves because it would be a shame for the movie to fail when Lee and the cast did an amazing job.

This movie should appeal to both casual and comic book fans alike. Those can actually understand the film, which isn't hard at all in my opinion, will enjoy it. I plan on seeing it a few more times and definately picking up the DVD. Enjoy!! :D

sith_killer_99
06-20-2003, 02:08 PM
Well, I watched "Lowdown" on Sci-Fi and I will probably go see this movie.

As for The Hulk being indestructable, well, he's The Hulk. The Marvel vs DC crossover pitted him against Superman, so yeah, he's pretty indestructable. I saw those bits where he's taking bullets and missiles and just keeps smiling, it fits the character, shredding tanks with his bare hands, that's the Hulk.

I am looking forward to seeing this, and I am interested in seeing the way they play out the relationships between the Banner's, Betty and her dad.

BTW, Betty is The Hulk's weakness (ie emotion), along with little to no intelect.;)

The Overlord Returns
06-20-2003, 03:57 PM
You have to realize that the Hulk is as strong as superman. In the comics, the more he is angered, the more indestructible he becomes.........so...it sounds bang on, IMO.

Jedi Leanne
06-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I really think that many have forgotten. Or that they place those physical effects above and beyond anything that can be done on a computer. I guess the fact that it was done a computer is the first problem. They hear computer and think that the job is easier.

And director's will tell you the same thing. The audiences are so jaded anymore that the minute they find out that somthing is done in CGI it's inherintly considered bad. If you get the T2 Extreme DVD James Cameron and Stan Winston discuss the exact same topic in the CGI discussion featurette. :)

MTFBWy and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

In the case of Jurassic Park, the special effects made that movie great. In the case of a movie like jaws, that film was great cause of the suspense, I think it's case by case basis.

jpak001
06-20-2003, 06:12 PM
Glad to see some good reviews of this flick. I'm taking my nephews tomorrow, can't wait!

HULK SMASH!!!

AT-AT Man
06-20-2003, 06:25 PM
ok just saw it this morning, i went into it not knowing wht to expect. I loved Daredevil, X-Men, and X2, but disliked spiderman.

I must say, i will put this movie into the wait for rental category, or the dollar movie category. It is definately not worth the 5 whatever it costs to see a movie.

I didn't enjoy the story, the Hulk seemed fake in some of the scenes, but in others he looked brilliant. The dog scene is amazing, but other than that i didn't really like it that much. X2 was far supperior.

I guess if you are fan of the Hulk and are a fan of him, then this movie is probably for you. but if your someone like me wo wasn't to fasinated by the hulk or are tempted to see this movie, then wait for rental where you can fast forward through the first hour hour and a half.

Thats just my 2 cents, take it or leave it, just giving my oppinion.

DarthBrandon
06-20-2003, 06:31 PM
I saw this movie about a week ago at my friend’s house, yes it was the one in the theaters now and it wasn't shot on some poor camcorder. I don't have much to say about this film except that I was disappointed in pretty much every angle of this film. It felt like I was watching/reading one big comic book with bad plots, editing, movie direction, etc. The Hulk himself was poorly done IMO and ruined the movie for my friend and I, not to mention that god-awful pity poor fight scene at the end of the film between the Hulk and his crazy old man. Most of this film was just eye candy IMO and did not warrant my hard earn money at the movies. I wasn't really glad to have seen it at my friends place but now that I have, it will go on my list of bad movies not to buy on DVD. I love CGI when it's done right i.e. (Yoda, Gollum)but this looked like a frigin cartoon, some movies can have CGI in it and Pull it off, I don't think this does.IMO It should have been shot with a live human being. Just my two cents. :D

derek
06-20-2003, 08:44 PM
i just got back from "the hulk" or is it just "hulk"????

anyway, i was a huge fan of the TV show, but i really can't recommend this film to anyone. i didn't have a problem with the CGI hulk, but did have a problem with a 2 1/2 hour film that has 2 hours of talking and 30 minutes of hulk.

i didn't care at all about any of the characters, despite the fact that the writer and director tried so hard to make the characters 3-D. and i'm not so shallow that i can't enjoy a good drama and character development, but this just isn't the right film for that stuff.

and i almost felt sorry for the theatre full of kids who were so bored they were actually begging their parents to leave......but could of done without the adult sitting behind me who had to tell everyone in the theatre how much this film sucked, thought he is right........and what's up with the night time scenes? i didn't know i needed my night vision goggles. maybe the hulk vs. the hulk dogs was pretty good, but i couldn't see half of it. hey ang! how about a little moonlight or something. the horrible lighting on that whole scene destroyed it!

and for the record, i liked blade, x-men, blade 2, daredevil and x-men 2 a lot, and just thought spiderman was OK.:)

skip the hulk at the movies and wait till it's on cable.

AT-AT Man
06-20-2003, 09:05 PM
very well said Derek, and I forgot all about Blade and Blade 2 i enjoyed them as well but didn't like Hulk. I also forgot to mention it being to dark during the night time scens as well.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-20-2003, 09:37 PM
You guys have got to be joking. Blade was alright, but Blade II was pure crap. As for Daredevil, i'd rather poke my eyes with flaming sticks than endure that pile o' garbage again. I can't even believe you would even consider Blade II superior than the Hulk. I don't know what you guys expected from Ang Lee, but i think maybe you're just disappointed it's not 2 1/2 hours of Hulk smashing things.

If this flick doesn't do well at the box office, it'll be simply because people weren't expecting plot, they wanted just 2 hours of senseless violence. Sad, really. On the other hand, Thanks Mr. Lee for making an awesome comic book movie!! :D

DarthChuckMc
06-20-2003, 09:39 PM
I saw it about 2 hours ago. BIG letdown. x2 is sooooo much better. I'm not a comic fan, but I went with 2 people that are, and they b****ed up a storm about how Ang Lee ruined the Hulk. I liked the cartoon from the 80s, and the TV show, but the movie is just weak. Way too much build up. Hulk himself was pretty amazing, but the "hulk dogs" are worse than Scooby Doo. At one point, those who've seen it may know what I'm talking about, the movie could've stopped and been decent, but it carried on for another 20 minutes and just blew it, big time. The theater I was in was PACKED, and after about the 2 hour mark, people started leaving.

BTW.....what's the next comic based movie we're getting?

derek
06-20-2003, 09:59 PM
You guys have got to be joking

well.....so far 5 out of every 6 star wars fans think this movie sucks!:D......... i really wanted to like it, but it just dragged on and on and on and on.

a plot is always good, but so is a good editor. this film probably could of been trimmed down to 90 minutes and would of been very enjoyable........then they could of released the 4 hour version on DVD where bruce and betty and general ross sit and talk for hours:).......as long as they lit up those night time scenes!:crazed: .........and ended the film on the streets of san francisco with bruce and betty hugging.

Beast
06-20-2003, 10:12 PM
Good movie, but it needed to learn that there is such a thing as too much plot. The Hulk out scenes and such were cool. And him fighting the mutated dogs was cool as hell. I was hoping for a bit more of an intresting fight with the Absorbing Man though. And I don't see why they made his figure so cool when he bearly uses his powers. Chop out maybe 20-30 minutes of blabbing and it would have been a great flick. Hopefully the sequel is better. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthChuckMc
06-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by derek
ended the film on the streets of san francisco with bruce and betty hugging.

That's when most of the people started walking out, too. It seemed like a good ending to me at that point.

AT-AT Man
06-20-2003, 11:54 PM
ok it's not like i wasn'texpecting a plot, i expected one, but it could've trimmed all the pointless dialog down. I mean X-Men had the perfect way of showing how the mutants learned they had there powers. My example is they didn't spend an hour and a half showing rouge or wolverine just larning they were mutants. they showed about at least 20 minutes of them learning, which was perfect. They definately could'v left a lot out of the Hulk. Big let down IMO.

and to answer your question Darth Chuck the next one out is The Punisher which should be awesome. It's R rated which should allow them to show a lot of the punishment. After that i don't know. I heard Ghost Rider but am not sure.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-21-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
If this flick doesn't do well at the box office, it'll be simply because people weren't expecting plot, they wanted just 2 hours of senseless violence.

If it doesn't do well (which I resoundingly say it won't) it will be because it won't appeal to the broader, non-comic buyer movie goer. Spidey and the two X-Men films did well because they appeal to a broader audience. A hard-core group of fans, unless they make up a big portion of the moviegoing demographic, can't keep a movie making tons of money for consecutive weeks.

Like I said before, I'm not a Hulk fan by any means but this movie was just flat out not appealing (I'm also not an X-Men fan but thought the two movies were well worth another screening). There were good parts, interesting parts, and boring parts. The movie just couldn't hold my interest. If you're a Hulk fan and liked it, great. If you're a Hulk fan and thought it wasn't good, my sympathies. If you are on the fence wait until the DVD rental or you have a few hours to kill during the matinee.

mabudonicus
06-21-2003, 02:43 AM
I couldn't believe how much I disliked this film.... cool wipes and fades notwithstanding...... I didn't want a shameful 2 and a half hours of nonsensical violence ;) or anything crazy like that....... it's just that , well, a film starring THE INCREDIBLE HULK should have a bit more of what the character was all about ....
In the comics, he was a scientist WHO BECAME THE HULK, and then kept turning into a monster and wrecking stuff... there may have been many other levels, but I don't recall loving the Hulk because his mom died, or cause Kris Kristofferson was his abusive, self-mutating father...
Sorry, I just was severely disappointed by the film, almost as much as the US "Godziller" flick a few years back......

James Boba Fettfield
06-21-2003, 08:27 AM
Ha ha, mab buddy, it was Nick Nolte as the father.

Kris played Whistler, Blade's old, yet kick ***, mentor and friend.

So the Hulk sucks? Wow, I didn't see this one coming at all. I was expecting more people to enjoy it. I'll be getting out to see it soon, myself, once I heal from the sunburn I have received.

preacher
06-21-2003, 12:54 PM
Its pretty unfair to compare Hulk to the likes of X-Men, Spiderman. A valid comparison can be made with Daredevil and even Batman because both stories are about childhood trauma has triggered acute psychological change or it could be argued dysfunction. What needs to be understood is that this movie was less about the "Hulk" and more about Bruce Banner. Sure there is plenty of action, but what I've really enjoyed about the last five years worth of Marvel hero movies is that more attention is paid to character development. The same story could be told using whatever genre' you want but the sub text would never change.

I enjoyed the mixture and I thought the CGI Hulk was very cool. The only part of the Hulk action that I thought was a bit silly was his sprint through the Moab desert. The wipes and picture in picture effects were cool, but I think a little over done in parts. The movie definitely took me back to Saturday mornings when Spiderman and His Amazing Friends and The Incredible Hulk were aired on NBC back to back. The Army didn't give up capturing him in that cartoon and general ross was just nasty - kudos to Sam Eliott for his performance.

Surprisingly, I actually felt sorry for the green giant just with the Hulk's facial expressions.

<Spoiler>
I have not been following the Hulk fan sites so seeing Nick Nolte turn out to be the absorbing man was quite a shock for me. Was David Banner actually the absorbing man in the comics as well? I didn't remember that part at all....

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-21-2003, 01:28 PM
Preacher- Thank you!!! that's my viewpoint as well. I loved this film all around. I thought the closeups on him were just amazing. At times, i could sympathize with him. That makes me weird, doesn't it? :D

And to answer your question, no he who shall not be named was not really that. ;)

derek
06-21-2003, 02:05 PM
What needs to be understood is that this movie was less about the "Hulk" and more about Bruce Banner.

it the title of this film was called "BRUCE", and all the commercials and trailers focused on eric bana and his repressed childhood, i'd have no complaints at all.

but instead we were led to believe we were getting an entertaining comic book flick, and instead we got a film about a scientist who has emotional problems that was too long, too boring, and tried to involve too many characters. hey, i'm all for a "dark" comic book movie, but ang lee's take on the subject was too much. there is a huge gulf between joel schumacker's batman and ang lee's hulk. i'd prefer the material be treated seriously, but not to the point it's boring.

banner's problems/transformation should of been wrapped up in the first 30 minutes, and i would of settled on one villian instead of 3. i'd loose the general ross character, and either have the bad blonde guy or nolte as the main baddie.

again, i wanted to like this film, and i'm hoping HULK 2 will be better, now that banner's backstory is established. maybe it will kinda re-visit the TV series and have banner on the run, working odd jobs and getting into jams and having the hulk bail him out.

Tycho
06-21-2003, 08:20 PM
I loved THE HULK's movie!

This movie rocked! I dug the detailed realism and melodrama of it all. I appreciate sophistication in my movies and was so glad this was not a kiddie-flick. It gave me more emotional involvement than reading most comic books would have (Ulic Qel Droma's Tales of the Jedi stories being notable and excellent exceptions).

But I went into The Hulk expecting to just be entertained with some comic book pages brought to life with bad special effects.

Instead the effects actually worked and they did a very good job (except the tank gun barrels would have snapped if the whole vehicles were lifted off the ground by just the barrels).

The story with Bruce's father was awesome. It's just that when he turned into the mega-volt chameleon man thing, it was a bit shocking, but it fit the theme of the story and his father's motivations were believable and the character well developed.

The whole casting was done great. That chick was beautiful!

And was it Chris Christopherson that played David Banner? He was great, as were even his poodles - and they seemed so nice at first, heh-heh-heh.

But I highly recommend The Hulk if you're into a sophistocated, well-developed story that just rocks!

Like life, 3 villains do exist, and their stories ARE complicated.

Glenn, the blonde corporate type wanted money - well who doesn't? And there was the girlfriend jealousy thing underneathe it all.

The father, General Ross, had public safety in mind, a distaste for the Banner family from the get go - and the unethical behaviors of the father, as well as his daughter to protect, and his own hardened military attitude to get by him.

(The Hulk showed strong reasoning capacity, and mercy, in that he did not kill, and he had the motivations to tear General Ross apart! Plus think about it, Betty did betray him - and more than once! But he always loved her.)

Finally, his father was a great natural enemy. David Banner proved to be just awesome in character-realized, as Christopherson did a great job with him and ought to win an Academy Award for the performance. I loved when he finished his raving solliloquy in the end, while David was in the chair, and then he suddenly got up and growled at the audience! That was like an in-the-theater over-the-top! He was terrific!

I will probably see The Hulk again extremely soon, and probably again after that. It's close, but I think I enjoyed it more than X-Men II, and I know both the Marvel movies blew the Matrix 2 away!

Long Live The Hulk!

AT-AT Man
06-21-2003, 10:15 PM
hey typho, like it was said above, that was Nick Nolte as the father. Not Chris Christopherson. Just thought you might want to know that

preacher
06-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Most of the super hero movies that have come out have the hero in the costume for less than 1/3 the movie. Heck Spiderman didn't even show up in his trademark red and blue spandex until the 2nd act of his big screen debut. Same thing with Daredevil, and Batman. The only exceptions that really come to mind are Blade and Spawn. Blade was an exceptional story. Spawn completely sucked. I nearly puked when clown dressed up as a chearleader - I knew McFarlane had sold out at that point. But I digress. My point is the reason Batman Forever and Batman & Robin turned out to be travesties was because they totally overdid the action. Ang Lee could have very easily made the Hulk into a live action Dragonball Z type movie - in which you have the Hulk beating the crap out of everything for minute after minute. Not that I hate DBZ - I just watched the Frieza saga and loved it.

But as I said before Hulk wasn't so much about "The Hulk" as it was about the man who is the Hulk. What is making these live action super hero movies successful is you can actually empathize with the characters. I had a huge lump in my throat when Uncle Ben died in Spiderman. I was totally blown away when Murdock was shown sleeping in a deprevation chamber filled with water so he could actually sleep. When Banner looked at Betty as the hulk with his big eyes showing more tenderness than the Hulk's alter ego did I was speechless. Those are powerful, quiet scenes that actually speak more about the character than any of the action scenes. Its necessary to have these silent interludes in order to have a connection with the character. I don't know about you but if I don't feel emotionally drawn to a character in a movie - to me it isn't a good movie. Its these scenes that make me believe events like this may actually be feasible. I understand the hero's motivation. Indeed given the same set of circumstances I would probably behave the same.

If we are going to call "Hulk" Bruce, then you may as well call "Batman" Bruce as well. Or "Spiderman" Peter - Or "Daredevil" Murdock. Like it or not these heros need to be portrayed as real people, with real lives. If they don't they are going to fall the same way as the Fantastic 4. Oh my God what a horrible horrible movie that is.

DarthChuckMc
06-21-2003, 11:00 PM
Maybe you HULK likers saw a different movie than the rest of us. I'm not into Marvel comics, but I do enjoy their movies....except this one. There was WAY too much build up to get to the transformation. I watched a completely packed theater of people slowly slip out after the chase through the desert. I agree that the f/x were great, and that you do feel sorry for him, because the emotions did come across very well. IMO the movie should've stopped with Betty hugging Bruce in the street. The Absorbing Man stuff could've been played out in the sequel instead. For me, and others appearently, it just drug on too long.

and.....If this wasn't supposed to be geared towards kids, why make toys, HULK hands, candy bars featuring HULK, show commercials on Cartoon Network, during KidsWB, reply the original cartoon on ABC Family, etc. etc.

*edit*
Jennifer Connelly was Betty Ross. I think her first movie was a bizarre 80s Dario Argento movie called Phenomena. The US title is Creepers. Very gory, very disturbing. Check it out.

darthvyn
06-21-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Tycho

It gave me more emotional involvement than reading most comic books would have (Ulic Qel Droma's Tales of the Jedi stories being notable and excellent exceptions).

i'm glad you liked it... but have you read anything lately? nearly everything coming out of marvel right now is amazing... check out "the ultimates" which is a modernized version of the avengers... now THAT'S involving!

anyway, yeah, i really liked this movie too...

so far, the order is

spider-man
x-men 2
hulk
x-men
daredevil

the comic panel montages were really cool and innovative, the hulk looked great, and the story was well developed.

the lou ferrigno/stan lee cameo in the same shot was really cool, too!

not much more i an add to the positive comments already given, so that's where i stop. i will be catching this one again...

mabudonicus
06-22-2003, 12:45 PM
Typho, sorry......
I guess I'm just too "witty" for my own good... I KNOW it was Nick Nolte.... I was TOTALLY joking just because he played a "hulked out" version of the same character as Kristoffersson always plays... call me weird (and I KNOW ya do) but I really can't stomach certain types of performance, and for some reason Kristofferson is on my "pet peeves" list...
I apologize for the confusion it may have caused :).....
Trust the prez of the mouse-droid sniffin club to get so mixed up.....

QLD
06-22-2003, 12:52 PM
I'll keep this short.

I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it.

The action scenes were awesome to me, and very brutal and hulk-like.

However the story with his "dad" was ultra-retarded, especially the ending fight......

2-1B
06-23-2003, 12:20 AM
I'm with LIMP in not liking the end battle with his dad. :)

Other than that, I loved Jennifer Connelly, Eric Bana, Sam Elliot (and his moustache), Josh Lucas, LOU FERRIGNO :happy: , and Nick Nolte when he wasn't turning into goofy crap like rocks, water, and lightning (what - no fire? :confused: ).

I even liked the CG Hulk, much more than I expected to. :)

The Overlord Returns
06-23-2003, 09:25 AM
2 thumbs way up on this one.....I'll come back later for a more "in depth" review, but as it stands "Hulk" nestles in just behind X2 as the best comic films made, IMO.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-23-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by preacher
If they don't they are going to fall the same way as the Fantastic 4. Oh my God what a horrible horrible movie that is.

LOL I remember i downloaded that movie a few months ago and was laughing hysterically the entire time. Man, the effects were so ridiculously bad, but fun as hizell to watch. I still giggle every time i see that scene where the Human Torch is racing that.....missle? I don't remember, he was racing something, i know that!! and man, did it look fake! :D

I must say, at least to me, it's kinda pointless to compare Hulk with X2. In X2, all the characters were set up and not much had to be explained. It was a new story with new stuff going on. With the Hulk, info had to be explained and whatnot. I hope for Hulk 2, they bring in maybe the Leader or Abomination. :)

The Overlord Returns
06-23-2003, 10:33 AM
I REALLY hope they don't make a sequel to Hulk. I think it would really cheapen what they did in the film....however...I am SURE they will....though I doubt they will get Ang Lee back for it.

BanthaPoodoo
06-23-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by DarthChuckMc
BTW.....what's the next comic based movie we're getting?

I think it is The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen"

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/lxg/

Coming out July 11

El Chuxter
06-23-2003, 12:28 PM
Good movie. Not great; I'd give it ***1/2.

Hulk was the best CG character I've ever seen, bar none. The edits were awesome, sorta like what Spawn tried to do, but handled better. Nice to see an action flick where everything doesn't explode for no reason, too.

The dream sequences were handled well, though I imagine they could be confusing to folks who haven't read any of Peter David's Hulk comics.

Great music by Elfman, and the real GNR proved they're still one of the best rock bands out there! :D

A couple of complaints:

1) What was up with baby Bruce turning green? I wanted an explanation.
2) Too. . . much. . . backstory. David experimented on himself, passed it on to Bruce, who may or may not have been affected by the gamma explosion in the desert. Adult Bruce puts nanomites in his system, exposed to another gamma blast. Too complicated!!
3) What was with the final showdown? Did the sort of "Absorbing Man" sacrifice himself, get killed, absorb himself into the atmosphere, what?
4) The actress who played the adopted mom should've looked more unlike his birth mom. I didn't pick up he was adopted till much later.

All in all, worth watching, but no X2. It deserves awards for effects and art direction, no question. As much as I like Ang Lee, a sequel would be better without him, methinks.

Who's hoping the gamma explosion affected Bruce's Hulk mode, resulting in a crafty grey giant who gets dubbed Joe Fixit? :D

The Overlord Returns
06-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
A couple of complaints:

1) What was up with baby Bruce turning green? I wanted an explanation.

I gather that as a baby he was instinctually more emotional, which would lead to the slight greening of the skin. remember that bruce says the gamma blast just triggered something that had been there for years

2) Too. . . much. . . backstory. David experimented on himself, passed it on to Bruce, who may or may not have been affected by the gamma explosion in the desert. Adult Bruce puts nanomites in his system, exposed to another gamma blast. Too complicated!!

I tend to agree that the first hour could have shaved off twenty minutes and tightened up a bit. However, I don't believe the Gamma blast had any further effect on Bruce. The bomb went off because David wanted revenge.

3) What was with the final showdown? Did the sort of "Absorbing Man" sacrifice himself, get killed, absorb himself into the atmosphere, what?

I assume that the nuke was absorbed completely by David "absorbing man" Baner.....it most likely was too much for him and destroyed his cell structure. This also explains why Bruce was unharmed.

4) The actress who played the adopted mom should've looked more unlike his birth mom. I didn't pick up he was adopted till much later.

You mean the completely different hair colour and craggy, far uglier face didn't clue you in?? ;)

RooJay
06-23-2003, 07:22 PM
I absolutely loved this movie. However, I am certainly not above saying that it was definitey rather slow to start.
I will agree that the real story for a character like the Hulk is the human side of the story, but I felt that it could've been covered a bit more effectively in far less time.
In the comics, Banner's story has actually been much deeper and more emotionally involved than was portrayed in the film. In the comics it was revealed that Bruce had actually been physically and verbally abused as a child by his father (whom I don't recall having been a scientist, and certainly never experimented on his son at any rate). His shy, insular, antisocial behaviour developed as a result of that abuse; he began, early on, to withdraw and internalize all of his feelings and emotions as a means of coping and actually turned to science as a distraction and as a means of escape from his troubled reality. Later on in life, when he was finally exposed to the Gamma bomb explosion, the trauma served as a catalyst for the emergence of multiple personalities (the green Hulk representing his childhood rage, frustration and fear, and the grey Hulk representing his dark side; his anger and hatred) which also manifested physically, thanks to the Gamma radiation, as a kind of mutant cancer (his transformation, as explained in the comics, is actually a strange type of non-malignant cancer which causes his cell to multiply extremely rapidly and proportionately/evenly; thus explaining his increase in size, density and mass). Much later on in his life, Banner underwent psychotherapy administered by Dr. Leonard Samson (who had been mutated by Gamma rays himself, in the past) during which he was hypnotically regressed to childhood and was finally able to uncover the long buried memories of his childhood abuse. During this therapy, Bruce was actually able to confront his fear and anger towards his father (whom I believe had actually died many years earlier) and his multiple personalities were finally merged into one being - a Banner/Hulk, who possessed and was able to successfully harness (for a time) the attributes of each of his personalities; the shy, intellectual Banner, the childlike green Hulk, and the self-confident grey Hulk. During this time, Banner actually chose to stay Hulked-out full-time while maintaining his full and considerable intellect with the confidence of the grey Hulk personality.
The movie, much as I enjoyed it, seemed to touch on some of that, but inexplicably manage to muddle the story with a bit too much extraneous nonsense that seemed only for the sake of adding unneccesary import to Nick Nolte's character in the plot. When I had heard of Nick Nolte's role as David Banner I had actually hoped that it would be handled in flashback, much as the character was handled in the comics.
I also felt that the ending battle was a bit too abstract, and would've been more effective if it had been handled in a more physical way. The villain's transformation effect was pulled-off incredibly effectively, though.
Aside from a few story issues I had, which I'm fully willing to accept, I really enjoyed myself watching this movie. The cast did an excellent job, in my opinion (in spite of some of the reviews I'd read) and all of the scenes with the Hulk were just downright incredible (pardon the pun)! I never once saw the Hulk on screen and thought of him as a CGI effect; he was nothing short of a fully realized, living and breathing, flesh and blood character for me. I really enjoyed all the little touches the effects artists included in his performance; the way his skin dimpled and rippled with each bullet impact, the softness in his cheeks as his father touched his face, the realism of the dripping water and dirt, the condition of his hair under different circumstances - all of it was absolutely perfect!
Also, did anyone else catch when he freakin' punched that Hulk-dog in the NUTS?! That was freakin' off the HOOK!

BlahBlahBlah
06-23-2003, 08:04 PM
I really didn't care for this movie. I thought it was great up to the first time he transformed into the Hulk-- after that, it was all downhill.

I agree that for the most part, the Hulk's animation was great, except in one scene-- the underground base. Did anyone else think he looked really cartoony during most of that scene? (The underground portion, I mean; when he went above ground, the animation was fine.)

Particularly in the video monitors. I glanced at his image on one of the video monitors as General Ross watched him breaking out, and was amazed-- at how bad it looked! I thought I was watching a commercial for the video game. That was the only time the Hulk looked really bad.

But anyway. I didn't have high expectations going into it, and I got even less than what I was expecting. It started good, but then failed miserably.

Eternal Padawan
06-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Dear MR Lee.

The first rule of editing is to make your edits seamless/unnoticable. This is a basic thing they teach you in film making. The reason for it is that a bad (or obvious) cut pulls the audience out of the story. And makes them realize they are watching a movie. But I guess you and your editor found the software on your Avid editing system and went hog wild like you were playing with a new toy. It might have been fine if you used it once or twice, but not once or twice A SECOND. I honestly wanted to get up out of my seat, take a taxi to the airport, jump on a plane to L.A., drive over to your house/office, and give you a big slap upside the head. It was THAT distracting and annoying.

The story took forever to get started. I think maybe you misjudged your audience wanting to know the whys and wherefores of little Bruce Banner's traumatic childhood, when in actuality they just wanted to see the jade giant doing some serious property damage. Which in all honesty...
ROCKED. THE HULK SCENES WERE AMAZING. I TAKE BACK EVERY COMMENT I MADE ABOUT IT LOOKING FAKE. IT WAS ACTUALLY THE ONLY SCENES IN THE FILM WHERE I APPROACHED WHAT I CAN ONLY CALL A GIDDY JOYFULNESS.
HULK SMASH!

Then you had a bizarre performance art piece where Bruce and his father sit in chairs on a big empty stage and scream at each other. What was that?

All in all, I was dissapointed. But the Hulk scenes might just be enough to get me to overlook the stuff I didn't like and buy this puppy on DVD.

Thanks.
Rollo J. Tomassi

PS The Absorbing Man was cool, but wasted. Like, Bane level wasted.

QLD
06-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by RooJay

Also, did anyone else catch when he freakin' punched that Hulk-dog in the NUTS?! That was freakin' off the HOOK!

Yes I did....and I hereby dub that the most "extreme" crotch shot in movie history.

bobafrett
06-25-2003, 01:53 AM
I just got back from viewing this movie, and I can say it was better than I expected. Most of the Hulk CGI shots looked pretty convincing. We've come a long way since the days of "Pong". I loved the split screen stuff that made it look like a living comic book. Honestly, I went into this movie expecting to have felt like I had wasted my money, but came away surprised at how much I really liked it.

Tycho
06-25-2003, 07:31 AM
That's exactly how I felt! I can't wait to see it again.

preacher
06-25-2003, 08:22 PM
Speaking of the subtle snippets included in Hulk (like the rippling of the skin when the bullets were flyin')

I thought what was really clever was when Bruce reverted back to small fry form he left a puddle of water. In a way it kind of linked the Hulk's biology to the non-absorbing man absorbing man's biology. Davie was able to absorb all sorts of junk. It seemed the way Ang Lee explained hulk's massiveness. After all if Bruce shed water when he transformed back to wuss boy he must have absorbed it to get just freakin' huge!

Talk about water retention. I thought it was a pretty clever detail that I doubt everyone actually caught.

RooJay
06-25-2003, 11:46 PM
Hunh?:confused:

dr_evazan22
06-26-2003, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I noticed that on the street when he changed back he was steaming like crazy then left the puddle.

Something that I didn't quite get was the Gamma explosion when Bruce's mother was killed, and what significance that held? Why D Banner set it off?

Eternal Padawan
06-26-2003, 06:19 AM
I think D. Banner was destroying all his research to get back at the Army. The best way ( and coolest visually onscreen) was to set off a green gamma mushroom cloud...

mrmiller
06-27-2003, 01:27 AM
I just got back from seeing HULK, and I must say- what a crock. I was very disapointed. I try to stay spoiler free, so I haven't read any of the threads here since the movie was released. And I was was so disapointed in Hulk, I don't think I'm going to- no use wasting any more time on this subject. I thought the CG was good, and the acting was OK, but the story drug on with to many mini-climaxes and no good climatic ending. It should have ended when he trransformed back in SF. I couldn't even hardly tell waht was going on at the end- his dad turned into a big ball O' energy? WTF? And what was the deal with Bruce and his Dad yelling it out on stage- yea the General would have let that go on that long. Oh well, I'll just wait for the next big one- T3 and hope it's better than Hulk.

=MATT=

scruffziller
07-01-2003, 09:05 AM
Just saw it last night. The story was excellent but I think the CGI was the worst we have ever seen. Some parts looked good but for the most part it looked fake. Plus I think they gave him way too much strength and he was way too tall. The strength he had was more like Superman. Anything I remember from the show, comics, etc. this didn't follow that. But we gotta make money in this crazy movie biz.

If they do make a sequel(s), I would like to see gray Hulk. But who knows, they will probably bring back his dad as a villian again because if Bruce survived what went on at the end, his dad probably did too. Was there any kind of a villian that the Hulk fought(in the comics) that had the absorbing powers that his dad got?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-01-2003, 12:12 PM
I'd hate to be the one who breaks the bubble, but the Hulk is a 10ft nearly indestructible monster. And yeah, as he got more and more mad, he tended to get a big bigger. I don't even compare the old tv show to this basically because they are ridiculously different. Don't get me wrong, the show was good for it's day and age, but due to technology and whatnot, you could never show the full capacity of the Hulk in the 80's tv show, sorry.

I really don't want them to bring in the Gray Hulk for the sequel. That would require way too much to do in the time allotted. Plus, i think the general movie going public (as ignorant as they are) wouldn't buy the fact that Bruce was able to control the Hulk that quickly. I say bring in Abomination or the Leader. In fact, i read in some spanish magazine online that those two villians were confirmed by Ang, who is at helm for the sequel. i'll see if i can dig it up. :D

Tycho
07-01-2003, 01:25 PM
From my interest in body building, I learned a long time ago that muscle is mostly made up of water.

David Banner killed his wife with a steak knife. He called her into that room to tell her he suspected that Bruce was "something else" and that he'd been villified and that he had set the lab to blow. He went further saying that he had to destroy all his work to keep it from the hands of the military. That meant killing Bruce, his own son. He was in the process of trying to hack his kid's head off when Bruce's real mom tried to stop him and in the struggle to get the knife from his father, she was fatally stabbed. She fell out of the house, clutching her wound, coincidently at the same time the explosion at the lab occured.

The movie showed all this, but with subtle tact to avoid a completely "R" rating with fathers killing mothers, etc. It was not blantantly obvious, but adults paying attention should have been able to pick up everything they needed to know so long as they were focused on learning from the movie (not going to the bathroom, etc).

After The Phantom Menace and I really started discussing movies in these forums, I've been amazed at what numbers of people "don't get" about the movies, that was blatantly obvious to me.

In the Star Wars example, so many people came out of the movie strongly arguing that Senator Palpatine was NOT Darth Sidious and they just completely missed all the hints Lucas threw in, like "In the Senate, things will stay as they are..." etc. So how could you not connect Sidious to have something to do with the Senate? Not to mention "But which was destroyed, the Master or the Apprentice?" and the camera focuses on Ian McDiarmid, who played Emperor Palpatine (same name even) 20 years ago in Return of the Jedi. It stumps me how people miss things like that. I'm not trying to criticize anyone. I'm just honestly puzzled.

RooJay
07-03-2003, 12:51 AM
Just saw it last night. The story was excellent but I think the CGI was the worst we have ever seen. Some parts looked good but for the most part it looked fake.

Dude, which movies have you been watching? I respect your opinions and all, but I'm having a terrible time figuring out how anyone could've thought the CGI Hulk wasn't the best CGI character just this side of Gollum. I honestly can't fathom it. :confused:

Plus I think they gave him way too much strength and he was way too tall. The strength he had was more like Superman. Anything I remember from the show, comics, etc. this didn't follow that. But we gotta make money in this crazy movie biz.

AND which Hulk comics have you been reading?? According to the Official Handbook of the Marvel U., Hulk has pretty much always been capable of lifting no less than 100 tons over his head with moderate effort, and the official word direct from Marvel comics states that he's actually capable of getting even stronger than that the angrier he gets!

If they do make a sequel(s), I would like to see gray Hulk. But who knows, they will probably bring back his dad as a villian again because if Bruce survived what went on at the end, his dad probably did too. Was there any kind of a villian that the Hulk fought(in the comics) that had the absorbing powers that his dad got?

Both the director and the writer have stated that this is indeed what they are shooting for. The writer, who says he's actually started writing already, has stated that he fully intends to write in the Leader and the Abomination as his antagonists, and will have both the green AND grey Hulks make an appearance.

Dr Zoltar
07-07-2003, 02:33 PM
I just watched The Hulk Saturday night as a double feature with the Italian Job. I went to the drive in with 3 other people and it was interesting to get their responses about the film. I, my wife, and her friend all didn't like the movie. I felt it was quite bland and monotone in parts. Although the women liked how the film was edited, I found that to be distracting.

The fourth person among us (my wife's friend's husband) liked the movie a lot. He said it did feel like a comic book. Being that I'm the only one among the 4 who actually reads comic books on a regular basis, I disagreed. What got me was last night on "At the Movies" both Ebert and Roper gave it two thumbs up and also said the movie was very much like a comic book. I really doubt that either of them have read comics in the past 20 years.

I also don't think I'll go see any more movies at the drive in anymore. There were parts in The Hulk that were so dark I couldn't see anything. Like the fight scenes with the dogs.

jjreason
07-12-2003, 06:16 PM
Finally saw it, and I really liked it. I'll do my best to answer "why?" and a few of the questions I've seen above.

Why? Well, I guess I really like the Hulk. I've been reading Hulk comics off and on for nearly 10 years, so I kind of have a feel for the character. I though they did a really outstanding job of showcasing the sheer power and ferocity of a Hulk outburst - to the point where I was actually startled a couple of times during the film. There wasn't anything happening in the movie that I wondered about him being able to do - except for the super-fast running. I would have kept him bounding, but running on air like Carl Lewis doing the long jump or something.

The first outburst was just furious! I though the CG Hulk looked "good", but we're still not at the point yet where it's really hard to tell who's CG and who's not. I think the Clonetroopers on Geonosis are the best I've seen so far.

Scruff - the Hulk is really strong. Back in Secret Wars he was able to carry the weight of a MOUNTAIN on his back, preventing the weight of it from crushing the heroes (who were all trapped in a hollow) from being crushed. Really, really strong.

Ang Lee did a good job directing. I love his suggestive, gentle approach to editing the story parts of his movies - check out the Ice Storm when you're bored some day. It's super! The only character I didn't fall for was David Banner - but the wicked "Absorbing Man" powers suited the movie media very well, and were handled appropriately by ILM. Nicely done.

All in all, I'll be headed back to the theatre to see it again. I was expecing another Daredevil, and nearly got a Spider-Man or X-men quality flick. Damn good. I hope Marvel will start allowing the heroes to make appearances in each others films' from now on, it always makes the comics that much more interesting seeing how different heroes interact.

stillakid
07-12-2003, 08:54 PM
After The Phantom Menace and I really started discussing movies in these forums, I've been amazed at what numbers of people "don't get" about the movies, that was blatantly obvious to me.

... It stumps me how people miss things like that. I'm not trying to criticize anyone. I'm just honestly puzzled.

You and me both, but for different "examples" I suspect. :)

Dude, which movies have you been watching? I respect your opinions and all, but I'm having a terrible time figuring out how anyone could've thought the CGI Hulk wasn't the best CGI character just this side of Gollum. I honestly can't fathom it. :confused:

I'm with the other crowd. I haven't seen such bad CGI since AOTC. With the money they spent, I'm a bit baffled as to why they would leave so many of the final renderings looking so unfinished.

Overall, I'm still trying to figure out if I liked it or not. While on one hand, I totally get what they were going for and can appreciate it on that level, on the other I can completely see the "populace" side of it to see a self-indulgent and boring attempt to make a "deep" superhero movie. I think that the overriding problem with Hollywood making films in this genre is that all too frequently, non-comic book people are placed in charge. Happy-boy Joel Schumaker is of course the primo example. Sam Raimi has probably made the best non-comic book comic book movie yet with Darkman. Spiderman was okay, but landed on the goofy side. Ang Lee was just reaching a little too hard to make a "serious" film at the expense of too much of the fun.

Tycho
07-12-2003, 10:49 PM
Well, I'm going to see the Hulk for my second time withsome friends who are seeing it for their second time as well, on Tuesday night. And I can't wait!

I want this movie on DVD now so that I can watch it a few more times, too!

GREEN is GREAT!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-23-2003, 07:52 PM
Some random Hulk news:

Hulk TV-series reruns have returned to scifi. Head to the scifi site to see what time they're on in your area.

Hulk 2 has been confirmed. head to superherohype.com

Hulk DVD Menu Screenshots are up.

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=2075

Cheers! :D

InsaneJediGirl
11-11-2003, 06:06 AM
The Hulk was "ok".Having just watched it this weekend my main complaint is of the CGI and it is just far to slow.I understand starting off with how Hulk got his powers,but it just never picks up to me,even when he does go on a rampage.Your waiting for something good and at the end its like "Eh".

The CGI is mostly bad,but at least someone had the thought to put in the little "pricks" when Hulk was getting shot at.

Tycho
01-26-2007, 07:23 AM
I still love this movie and am waiting for a sequel.

I noticed Hulk is not so much a super hero, but more like a movie monster in this one. Though he does do things like spare lives and save the life of that fighter pilot (nice use of F-22's btw).

But I've heard nothing really revealing about a sequel as of yet.

This is what I could find:

The Incredible Hulk (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800080/)

It looks like Louis Letterier who worked on The Transporter movies (which I never saw) is going to replace Ang Lee as Director. The film is slated for 2008, and there's no cast assigned to it yet. I will hope for Eric Banna, Jennifer Conelley, and Sam Elliot though.