PDA

View Full Version : high priced basic DVD's

derek
11-20-2002, 09:11 PM
anyone know why some basic, single disc DVD's are so expensive? two films i've wanted to buy, "copland" and "apollo 13" sell for over $30 bucks each. i just saw "apollo 13" today for $36!!!:eek:

with DVD's usually being priced to sell ($9 to $20) why are movies like these so expensive?

Beast
11-20-2002, 09:19 PM
Depends on the studios. Universal (Apollo 13) can occassionally be high price wise. Paramount is similar. My suggestion for you, would be to order Copland and Apollo 13 online. You can find them alot cheaper that way. By the way, the MSRP for Copland is only 14.99, so somepne was trying to rip you off. And Apollo 13 has very nice extra features, unless you get the DTS version, which is barebones. :)

Apollo 13
DVD Features:
Theatrical trailer(s)
Audio commentary by director Ron Howard
Audio commentary by Jim Lovell and Marilyn Lovell
Original documentary "The Lost Moon: The Triumph of Apollo 13"
Extensive exploration of the special effects explained by Robert Legato and Mark Forker
Comparison of the movie's key sequences with NASA footage
Bill Paxton's home movies of going to space school
Behind-the-scenes footage
Widescreen anamorphic format

Copland $10.79 at Deep Discount DVD (http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=BVD014257)
Apollo 13 $14.27 at Wal-Mart.com (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1099499)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
11-20-2002, 09:25 PM
thanks jar jar.:)

did apollo 13 come out a while back when dvd's were priced higher? any word if it will get the special super duper re-release?

Beast
11-20-2002, 09:33 PM
Apollo 13 was released on DVD, back on 2/24/1998. It has alot of special features, so I doubt that they will double dip it. Also, Universal is not well known for doing double dippings anyway. And when they do, it's usually because a sequel is coming out. I don't see Apollo 14 coming anytime soon. So, I think it's safe to assume that this will be the best release it will get. After all, the current version is already anamorphic. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
11-21-2002, 04:33 PM
Paramount is so bad at pricing their DVDs. When Better Off Dead came out last summer it cost me around $20 from buy.com. It has one disc and no features except for chapters.

I'd like to get Tron, but it's been around $20 since it was released. I'll get it if it goes down to $15.

Beast
11-21-2002, 04:41 PM
Tron is worth it, even for $20.00. It's 2-discs, and has a load of special features. I wish that they would give the Black Hole a Special Edition along the same lines. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
11-21-2002, 09:10 PM
I too find it hard to spend more than $20 on a "bare-bones" DVD. This problem I come across usually when trying to update my VHS collection to DVD, and the DVD is an older one, with no special features, and no new plans for a "Special Edition" release.

Case in point, I was seeing Hudson Hawk around town for about $16-$20. The DVD has no features what so ever, but I just wanted the film. I ended up buying it after last Christmas for $9.99 at Wal-Mart. Good Enough.

Unless its a 2+ Disc Set w/ loads of GOOD extras, I don't like to pay more than $15.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-21-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Paramount is so bad at pricing their DVDs. When Better Off Dead came out last summer it cost me around $20 from buy.com. It has one disc and no features except for chapters.

They do the same with their Star Trek DVD's. Man, those things could be SO much better but they come with absolutely nothing! And they're always priced over 20, even at Walmart???

You guys/gals notice that most of the cool sci-fi/fantasy flicks are always way over-priced (unless you get 'em when they first come out) compared to many of the main-stream dvd's :(

Wolfwood319
11-21-2002, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I did notice that. Like my "Lifeforce" DVD, for example; some cool features and extras I wasn't expecting, though nothing I'd consider "Special Edition" (despite what it said on the top of the box :))

Its a basic Sci-fi movie, but I bought it at Suncoast for around $30 I believe. Now, it is Suncoast, so overpriced is the standard. But I couldn't find the DVD anywhere else, and they were asking about the same online. Same with movies like Stargate, Krull, and all the other cool Sci-Fi's that aren't extremely popular.

James Boba Fettfield
11-21-2002, 10:37 PM
I got the Special Edition of Stargate for under $20. Where did you see Stargate for such high prices? Wolfwood, you should buy from deepdiscountdvd.com. I buy all of my dvd's there, and they have that Lifeforce DVD you speak of for $9.36

JediTricks
11-21-2002, 11:15 PM
This is the prime reason why I don't buy more DVDs right now, only big-release discs seem to be getting adequate prices while good, less well known titles get higher priced releases even though they have NO features.

BTW, Hudson Hawk has a pretty cool director's commentary, "it was big in Europe" is a running joke/truth. ;)

QLD
11-21-2002, 11:17 PM
I picked up Stargate at Media Play for $5.99.

James Boba Fettfield
11-21-2002, 11:30 PM
Which version did you get?

EDIT: I just followed your link to your profiler and saw it. I bought that same version back in Feb or March. Only to learn not much later that a new edition was to be released. I got the 5.1 sound and anamorphic picture, so I was happy with it. I am thinking I bought it for about $14.95. As for these high priced bare bones disc, I have never had that problem. The bare bones discs I own have all been pretty cheap, ie Batman, B&B Do America, Salem's Lot, The Amityville Horror, Robocop, Dumb and Dumber I had gotten each for under $15. The only bare bones disc I paid more for was Pet Sematary, which I think was about $21. I normally wouldn't have paid so much, but I never saw the movie anywhere else.

wedgeA
11-22-2002, 02:51 AM
I have to go with the general sentiment here is saying that Paramount is probably the worst offender. I was lucky enough to find Chinatown and The Untouchables, used, for about $12 each, and got The Conversation as a gift. At least the Star Trek SE's have been priced reasonably.

Another company that has high priced DVDs with little features is Criterion. I shelled out $25-$35 each for some Kurosawa films. I really can't complain too much about it since they are great films, and since they are not a major studio, they can't afford to let these film go for $15. BTW, The Hidden Fortress is a solid buy, it's near the top of Kurosawa's films and there is a great interview with GL about how it influenced SW.