PDA

View Full Version : Garfield making his way to the big screen

James Boba Fettfield
11-21-2002, 09:44 AM
Hewitt Directing Garfield Adaptation at comingsoon.net
Thursday, November 21, 2002 12:38 CST

Peter Hewitt will direct the live-action/CGI adaptation of Garfield for 20th Century Fox and the Davis Entertainment Co., pending the negotiation of certain rights issues, says Variety.

Writing the adaptation of the Universal Press syndicated comic strip are Toy Story scribes Joel Cohen and Alec Sokolow.

Hewitt most recently directed the children's film Thunderpants.

All I have to say is don't kill the messanger

Mandalorian Candidat
11-21-2002, 10:37 AM
This truly is a sign that the apocalypse is upon us.

JediTricks
11-21-2002, 11:23 PM
Kill the messenger! Man, this sounds like an awful idea. I just hope we don't get another Cats & Dogs type film with realistic animal puppets and CGI. Plus, now that Lorenzo Music (the voice of Garfield on the beloved Saturday morning cartoon) has passed away, I cannot picture ANYBODY doing the voice of Garfield.

James Boba Fettfield
11-21-2002, 11:39 PM
Garfield's voice man died? I never knew that.

JediTricks
11-22-2002, 12:08 AM
Yeah, he died last year. He had a pretty interesting career, take a look: http://us.imdb.com/Name?Music,+Lorenzo

scruffziller
11-22-2002, 08:29 AM
I knew he was the same guy who did Peter Venkman's voice.
His voice was very distinctive. I also heard him occasionally on commercials.

Rogue II
11-22-2002, 09:11 AM
I saw this the other day and thought I was just imagining things.

I thought everyone lost interest in Garfield back in the '80s. I can understand the Scooby-Doo movie, and (to a lesser extent) the Rocky an Bullwinkle film. Buy why Garfield?

Eternal Padawan
11-22-2002, 09:28 AM
If Garfield were a real cat, he'd be dead by now.

The cartoon strip just continues to be NOT funny at all.

What ever happened to Nermal?

Or Lyman, for that matter. Odie's owner. He just kinda left Odie with Jon for the past 25 years. :eek: But I guess, if Odie were a real dog, he'd have croaked by now, too.

It's a bad sign when the director's claim to fame is a movie called "Thunderpants". :rolleyes:

Exhaust Port
11-22-2002, 09:14 PM
I pray for the day that all papers pull the Garfield strip from their pages. NOT FUNNY AT ALL! Sure it had it's goodtimes back in the 80's but it's been over a decade without a new funny idea. Lets see if we can name them all here:

1. Garfield loves lasagna
2. Jon can't get a date
3. Nermal is sooooo cute
4. Garfield kills that spider
5. Garfield lets the mouse get away with everything
6. Odie is stupid
7. Garfield HATES Mondays.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-22-2002, 10:32 PM
But you have to admit that the Garfield Halloween Special from the 80's rocked! Anyone remember?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-23-2002, 02:44 AM
Ah, c'mon let's not get to upset over this; it might be good. I've always have been and will be a fan of Garfield. If the writers of the Toy Story Series are doing this, i have some faith. If you don't like it, then don't see it then.

I miss Mr. Music's voice. He was the perfect Venkeman and gave Garfield a great sense of humor and delivery. I'll be keeping an eye on this project for sure. :D

scruffziller
11-24-2002, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan

The cartoon strip just continues to be NOT funny at all.

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His continous assaults on Jon's pride are nothing short of GENIUS!!!!!!!!! And I have to be resuscitated everytime I pick up the newspaper to pay my respects to comedy sage Jim Davis, because I am laughing so hard that my lungs collapse!!!!!!:D

Capitan_Moroni
11-24-2002, 04:05 PM
we-need-a-live-action-Dilbert.............yes,-thats-it....live-action-Dilbert.....

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-25-2002, 12:20 PM
I think we already did have a live action Dilbert. It was called "Office Space." When it comes to movies about the workplace, you can't top that one, sorry! :D

Exhaust Port
11-25-2002, 12:55 PM
How long was the Dilbert cartoon on the air? A month?

Capitan_Moroni
11-25-2002, 06:19 PM
I-totally-forgot-about-office-space!-what-a-great-movie.....
The-Dilbert-cartoon-was-good-too....to-bad-they-bagged-it.

JediTricks
11-25-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
I think we already did have a live action Dilbert. It was called "Office Space." When it comes to movies about the workplace, you can't top that one, sorry! :D Actually, Office Space is based upon a series of Mike Judge short cartoons called "Milton" (who was such a loser that even in his own movie he wasn't the main character). Personally, I loved Office Space so much even though the 2nd half can't compare to the first half.

Capitan_Moroni
11-25-2002, 11:22 PM
does-the-pointy-haired-boss-on-Dilbert-have-a-name?

Nexu
11-28-2002, 06:11 PM
It might be a good thing, the comics were great. If they come out with this though, a Calvin and Hobbes movie had better come out. ;)

James Boba Fettfield
03-01-2003, 06:03 AM
I found my beloved topic. Okay for all you people out there following this movie here's some more news for you:

The Hollywood Reporter says that Breckin Meyer is in talks to star as Jon Arbuckle, the perpetually single owner of Garfield the cat in the long-running comic strip, in 20th Century Fox's big-screen live-action/CGI adaptation of Garfield, with Jennifer Love Hewitt finalizing a deal to play his love interest. Peter Hewitt is directing the project. A March start date is being planned.

The comic strip centers on a rotund orange- and black-striped cat named Garfield, his dull-witted canine cohort Odie and owner Arbuckle. The 27-pound feline, first published in 1978, is known for his laziness, wry remarks and love of lasagna.

The script, written by Toy Story scribes Joel Cohen and Alec Sokolow, focuses on the rivalry between Garfield and Odie. The feature is live-action, with a computer-generated Garfield.

http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/archive/fullnews.cgi?newsid1046439383,63953,

mini-rock
03-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Cool. This could be a fun movie. Kinda like Scooby Doo was.:)

Fulit
03-01-2003, 12:42 PM
This is so bad, I am angry after reading it, and I nearly blew a microchip when I read Jennifer Love Hewitt's name.
How? How can anyone involved with this sleep at night?

I'm going to commit suicide in the theatre in protest. BURN HOLLYWOOD, BURN!

JediTricks
03-04-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
...20th Century Fox's big-screen live-action/CGI adaptation of Garfield, with Jennifer Love Hewitt finalizing a deal to play his love interest. Peter Hewitt is directing the project. ...and Satan takes the field!

(btw, Peter Hewitt directed the putrid "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey")

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-19-2003, 03:13 PM
Hey, the teaser trailer is up:

http://www.garfieldmovie.com/home.html

I don't know what to make of it with all its dancing and stuff. Garfield was a lazy lasagna eatin' bastid last i remembered him, so maybe this is just to get audiences ready for him. One thing i HATE is that the fact that Odie is a regular dog, not the happy go lucky always wearing a smile and drooling pup we know and love.

As of right now, i'm really indifferent towards this movie, but hopefully that'll change. I will say that Bill Murray's voice is perfect for this role, well the perfect voice who is alive now as the original and best voice is no longer with us.

cheers!

darthzirock
12-21-2003, 04:14 PM
Hey, the teaser trailer is up:

http://www.garfieldmovie.com/home.html

I don't know what to make of it with all its dancing and stuff. Garfield was a lazy lasagna eatin' bastid last i remembered him, so maybe this is just to get audiences ready for him. One thing i HATE is that the fact that Odie is a regular dog, not the happy go lucky always wearing a smile and drooling pup we know and love.

As of right now, i'm really indifferent towards this movie, but hopefully that'll change. I will say that Bill Murray's voice is perfect for this role, well the perfect voice who is alive now as the original and best voice is no longer with us.

cheers!

OK, so Lorenzo Music did the original voice of Garfield. He also did the voice of Dr. Peter Venkman in the "Ghostbusters" cartoons, a role originated by Bill Murray. Now, Music has passed away, a Garfield theatrical film gets produced, and Murray is voicing the character originally played by Music. :eek:

Anyone else find this to be just a bit creepy?

Well, OK, Jennifer Love Hewitt being Jon's love interest is creepier, true. :p

Tycho
12-24-2003, 11:32 PM
I love Garfield. This is just entertainment though. If they butcher it, I won't lose any sleep over it.

So will Jennifer Love Hewitt be playing Liz the Veterinarian? She'll look right for the push-up bra feature always evident in the strip. Pun intended.

Meanwhile, I don't know who the guy playing Jon is.

But Odie being a regular dog might be cute, but if they can't always train actors to interact with CGI, won't a real dog be more difficult? Or is it the other way around: "Here Jennifer. You did good, Girl. Good girl. Have some Gravytrain. Mmmm. Yum-Yum."

But yeah, I think I'd miss Odie not being a CGI character meant to look like "the real deal." How are they going to get a real dog to look that stupid? Do they have any pictures of the pooch they cast?

And yeah, I always did wonder what happened to Lyman. But I think I recall him coming back, and Davis explaining that. I think he got a girl that didn't like pets, and that was contrasted to Jon's problems dating while living with Garfield.

In any case, it's scary I can write so much about aniticipating this movie. Oh, and by the way, I liked "The Hulk." Take that to measure how you will.

scruffziller
12-26-2003, 07:32 AM
So will Jennifer Love Hewitt be playing Liz the Veterinarian? She'll look right for the push-up bra feature always evident in the strip. Pun intended.

Will definatley make for some good jokes on Jon trying to get a date!!!:D

QLD
12-26-2003, 08:05 AM
This movie looks to be so bad, I am at a loss of words really.

I used to like Garfield when I was a kid....but these days, the strip can barely make me blink.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-28-2004, 08:49 PM
Hey, the official trailer is up: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/garfield/trailer/

Meh bleh and blargh are all i have to say about it. Why they couldn't make him CGI AND like a real cat in his surroundings is just beyond me. This movie is going to flop BIG time. Enjoy!! :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-29-2004, 06:01 PM
http://imdb.com/title/tt0356634/

Here is a cast list, for anyone that wants it.

I haven't watched the trailers, but this movie just sounds bad. Some of the voices might be good (Bill Murray, Brad Garrett, Alan Cumming), but if the jokes are all the same then there's no point. That comic is one of the worst, but people think it's the funniest damn thing out there. It used to be okay, and it might be good to someone who hasn't read more than 5 strips of it, but it's just time to give up.

This has taken the comic-movie genre waaaaaaaay too far. :D:p

Exhaust Port
03-31-2004, 09:45 PM
<gasp> It looks worse than I thought it would be. This thing is going to tank at the theater.