PDA

View Full Version : Padme must "appear" to die in Ep 3

The Overlord Returns
11-21-2002, 05:03 PM
I was just thinking about this. Provided that Vader does not know he has a living son until somewhere between ep 4 and 5, yet, ep 3 must show padme pregnant if the babes are to make even a fleeting appearance, then she must appear to die in anakins eyes.

Anakin will HAVE to know he is an expecting father, assuming he does not lose contact/ scare off padme until the mid point of ep 3. So, he must also think she dies, and that the children die with her....I don't see any other way out of the tangled confusion otherwise.....

Jedi Clint
11-21-2002, 06:26 PM
I don't think he will know that Padme is pregnant. He will be so busy wiping out Dooku's forces toward the end of the Clone Wars, that he will have no time to spend with his wife. He may have to believe that she dies as you say. I actually think that ties things up nice and neat. I think that 4 - 6 months will have passed between the last time Anakin and Padme have seen each other, and the open of E3.

2-1B
11-22-2002, 12:36 AM
Well, we know he has to spend SOME time with her ! :crazed:

kdp100
11-23-2002, 06:30 AM
From the novelisation of ROTJ, I seem to recall Obi-Wan telling Luke that "when your father left, he didn't know your mother was pregnant...".

Mind you, this is the same page on which Obi-Wan refers to Owen Lars as being his own brother, so maybe we shouldn't read too much into this.

Death Star Gimp
11-28-2002, 06:37 PM
This is quite intruiging. There are two lines in the OT which make for interesting thought. Firstly, Obi-Wan says to Luke in ANH '..your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough' (refering to his lightsaber), now this would suggest that Anakin knows about Luke's birth, but clearly he does not know about Leia.

Secondly, in ROTJ Luke asks Leia what she remembers about her mother, Leia replies 'I don't remember much she died when I was very young, but I remember she was sad'.

This would suggest that Padme dies when Leia is probably around 6 or 7 yrs old.

This begs the question how does Anakin know about Luke but not Leia. I believe and this is suggested above, that Padme's death is faked, as Anakin becomes increasingly unstable and unpredictable Anakin is told Padme died in labour. This is done in order to protect Leia and they (Padme and Leia) are both placed under the protection of Bail Organa.

However, what motive would Anakin have to 'leave' his lightsaber for his son, and why has Obi-Wan got it? Do Obi-Wan and Anakin have a battle, Anakin is defeated, on the brink of death and Anakin hands his saber to Obi-Wan for his son?

More importantly, is Padme dead? There were rumours that Natalie Portman had signed up to do some shots for the so called 're-edits' to the OT???

Darkross
11-29-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Death Star Gimp
This is quite intruiging. There are two lines in the OT which make for interesting thought. Firstly, Obi-Wan says to Luke in ANH '..your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough' (refering to his lightsaber), now this would suggest that Anakin knows about Luke's birth, but clearly he does not know about Leia. However, what motive would Anakin have to 'leave' his lightsaber for his son, and why has Obi-Wan got it? Do Obi-Wan and Anakin have a battle, Anakin is defeated, on the brink of death and Anakin hands his saber to Obi-Wan for his son?

Ok...the fact that Obi-Wan tells Luke that his father wanted him to have his lightsaber...does not necessarily imply that Anakin knew about Luke being born. If you remember...earlier in the conversation, Obi-Wan and Luke are discussing Anakin's occupation...Luke defending that his father was a navigator on a spice freighter...and Obi-Wan telling him that he fought in the Clone Wars. When Obi-Wan tells Luke about how his father was a hero and all about his adventures as a Jedi...Obi-Wan is appealing to Luke's sense of adventure...his longing for something more... to belong, to have a purpose in the galaxy...and hearing about his father's adventures he wants the same thing. When Obi-Wan says..."Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough...but your uncle wouldn't allow it..." is merely another way for Obi-Wan to get Luke involved. I believe that the reason Obi-Wan stays on Tatooine...is to watch over Luke and to train him as a Jedi when the time is right. When Luke finally gets something of his father's he finally feels like he has a connection to his father. Obi-Wan is the first person that tells Luke the truth (at least part of it) about his father and gives him a token of that truth (his father's lightsaber).

As far as your other comment...what motive would Anakin have for leaving his lightsaber to his son...Anakin doesn't know he has a son...otherwise he would have tracked him down sooner. Episode III will reveal how Obi-Wan ends up with Anakin's lightsaber...I suspect it will be something like where Anakin and Obi-Wan duel with Blue on Blue lightsabers and Anakin falls (hanging from a cliff) and when Obi-Wan offers to help Anakin...rather than taking his hand...Anakin will draw his lightsaber and try to attack Obi-Wan...and in doing-so...his lightsaber will be knocked out of his hand by Obi-Wan...and Anakin will fall to his death. At least appear to have died (as a result of the fall) to Obi-Wan. The reasoning behind why Anakin and Obi-Wan duel will be related to the fact that Palpatine will manipulate Anakin into thinking that Obi-Wan is to blame for his mother's death (which I think Anakin already partially blames Obi-Wan for) and he will also blame Padme's death on Obi-Wan also (regardless if she dies or not in Episode III...Anakin will at least thinks she is dead and that Obi-Wan is to blame.) Remember his words in Episode II to his mother..."I promise you...I won't fail again!" implies that Anakin won't let another person he loves die...(why else was he so mad at Obi-Wan in the Gunship when Padme fell out?)...besides the fact that he loves her.

Anyway...this is all just my humble opinion...

stillakid
11-29-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
I was just thinking about this. Provided that Vader does not know he has a living son until somewhere between ep 4 and 5, yet, ep 3 must show padme pregnant if the babes are to make even a fleeting appearance, then she must appear to die in anakins eyes.

Anakin will HAVE to know he is an expecting father, assuming he does not lose contact/ scare off padme until the mid point of ep 3. So, he must also think she dies, and that the children die with her....I don't see any other way out of the tangled confusion otherwise.....

I don't think so, but that's just me. ;) As long as he and the audience know she's pregnant, AND NO MORE, then all will be fine. This of course means that we should have no silly "delivering the baby to Tatooine" scene or else it forces the issue of seeing the infants and hearing some uneccessary dialogue concerning the birth(s). But the key is that Anakin's fall is even worse because he disowns not only the Jedi, his mentor Obi Wan, and his wife...but also his yet unborn child (as far as he knows it's just one). But that's all the audience should be made aware of also in order to keep the brother/sister secret intact as well.

But, as we all suspect, George could give a damn about maintaining the integrity of the OT continuity as well as the secrets and mysteries as they played out, so we might as well expect a flurry of scenes designed to give away the farm for the sake of "pleasing the fans."

But that's just my opinion. Maybe he'll surprise us all. :)