PDA

View Full Version : is it just me, or is the emperor really annoying?

ki-adi mundi's bro
11-03-2001, 08:39 PM
everytime luke got hurt or something in ROTJ he laugh and i got really annoyed and wanted to walk away...grrrr!! i also noticed that luke ignited his lightsaber 3 times...why didn't he just keep it lite like darth??

bigbarada
11-03-2001, 11:05 PM
It's just you.;)

master jedi
11-03-2001, 11:46 PM
It's just you.

Wouldn't you laugh too if you were in palpatines shoes?

Bel-Cam Jos
11-04-2001, 10:28 AM
Actually, master jedi, I think that's why Palpatine fell to the Dark Side: his shoes were too tight. ;)

He is meant to seem overconfident, and every overconfident villian appears to need to laugh.

Let's all say it together:
"Moo"
"Wah"
"Ha"
:rolleyes:

JediTricks
11-04-2001, 11:08 AM
The Emperor is trying to harass Luke into getting angry, no matter what avenue that anger is coming from or aimed at. Anger is the route that the Emperor believes he can use to get Luke to turn to the dark side, so EVERYTHING he does is designed to make Luke angry.

GNT
11-05-2001, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by ki-adi mundi's bro
is it just me, or is the emperor really annoying?

The ESB version is :)

ki-adi mundi's bro
11-05-2001, 11:28 AM
i think he could have done without laughing every time they go to a new scene...

TeeEye7
11-06-2001, 07:38 AM
Actually, the Emperor's laugh is one of those laughs you have when experiencing pain or discomfort. The Emperor doesn't eat enought bran cereal.......:rolleyes:

Jargo
11-06-2001, 02:06 PM
The emperor certainly talks too much. in the same way that all villains do. I bet the villain of EP2 will chatter away 'til the cows come home.

usually the hero being punished or tortured by the villain will ask "Why are you doing this?" to which the villain will reply "because I can and I enjoy it" Then you get more torture while the villain unveils in detail their plan to rule the world/conquer the galaxy/destroy all human kind/suck the world dry of cheese,water,air or whatever...

it's the oldest cliche in the book dating back to the days of the silent movie. several of which have been sampled for the scenes in ROTJ in the Emperor's throne room... vaguely........

Ian McDiarmid did a brilliant job portraying a pantomime villain in a kids movie. just the way Lucas wanted it and the director Richard Marquand wanted. Full marks to Ian for giving a tour de force performance. :p

*my tongue was firmly in my cheek during that last part BTW*

Tarkin the otter
11-07-2001, 04:58 PM
Old Palpy's not annoying, he is the key player in the saga. Without him there would be no vader & no Empire. Scary thought huh?

Rollo Tomassi
11-09-2001, 12:18 PM
You were thinking of Jira. She's the annoying one.:)

El Chuxter
11-09-2001, 02:56 PM
"Me bones are achin', young Skywalker. Take your weapon, strike me down!"

GNT
11-12-2001, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
You were thinking of Jira. She's the annoying one.:)

Yeah she is annoying as hell !!!She just bugs me until I have to fast forward until the scene is over :)

ThomasLane
11-12-2001, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
The emperor certainly talks too much. in the same way that all villains do. I bet the villain of EP2 will chatter away 'til the cows come home.

The opposite was true in Ep.1, which is one of the things that made Darth Maul so appealing. Some people complained that he didn't have enough spoken lines, but that "stalking tiger" look said plenty.

Sith Worm
11-12-2001, 07:58 PM
Well no one else has done it so i will. Bro did you miss that whole Luke not wanting to fight thing? Thats why he kept putting out the lightsaber. He didn't want to use it if he left his saber on he might run the batteries down...

Jargo
11-13-2001, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by ThomasLane

The opposite was true in Ep.1, which is one of the things that made Darth Maul so appealing. Some people complained that he didn't have enough spoken lines, but that "stalking tiger" look said plenty.
Ah, but he wasn't really the villain. Just the henchman. The villain was again Sidious/Palpatine. While Sidious was a little tacitern, Palpatine had verbal diahoarhea. Frankly Palpatine bored the pants off me in EP1 until I saw the subtlety of Ian McDiarmid's performance. In a kids movie to achieve tongue in cheek acting like he did is nothing short of miraculous. yes it's pantomime but good pantomime at that. :Pirate: ARRRRRRRR!