PDA

View Full Version : Race of Warriors?

The 'Xir
11-22-2002, 04:07 AM
You know, I was just thinking, and I know that doesn't happen alot, however in the book for Empire Strikes Back, Boba Fett's armour is describled as an 'armoured spacesuit, worn by an ancient race of warriors deafeated by the Jedi Knights during the Clone Wars.'
So, if the clone troopers are Jango's clones but they have totally different armour then Jango, then where is this ancient race of Warriors we've heard about for years? What do you guys think about this possible continuity flaw, or how Lucas might handle it? Will we actually, finally get to see thousands of Boba/Jango fett's running around!!!!!!!! Coooooooool!:D

The Overlord Returns
11-22-2002, 08:33 AM
No. It will be disregarded.

scruffziller
11-22-2002, 08:42 AM
Yes just like they disregarded Owen Lars and Obi being brothers.
Remember the books were published before the movie scripts were even finalized so alot of revisions were made to the movie scripts even though they made it to print in the books. In effect the movie novels are almost EU.

stillakid
11-22-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by The 'Xir
You know, I was just thinking, and I know that doesn't happen alot, however in the book for Empire Strikes Back, Boba Fett's armour is describled as an 'armoured spacesuit, worn by an ancient race of warriors deafeated by the Jedi Knights during the Clone Wars.'
So, if the clone troopers are Jango's clones but they have totally different armour then Jango, then where is this ancient race of Warriors we've heard about for years? What do you guys think about this possible continuity flaw, or how Lucas might handle it? Will we actually, finally get to see thousands of Boba/Jango fett's running around!!!!!!!! Coooooooool!:D

George has abandoned this apparently. The Prequel defenders consistently prop up George's decisions by stating that EU or offscreen material isn't canon and he doesn't have to stick with it. Fair enough.

However, it's not an across the board decision, making that argument null and void. George is taking what he wants, disregarding other things, and recreating the saga from scratch. That wouldn't be a problem with me if it wasn't so damaging to the established continuity of the onscreen events and "suggestions" in the OT.

But, hey, whatever. It's too late now. Like many others I think, I really liked the ideas for the Prequels that George hinted at long ago. It's too bad he tossed them out like yesterday's trash just to appease the "fan desire" to see certain things. Today it's Boba Fett. Tomorrow will be Vader rampaging across the screen in Episode III.

But, that's just my opinion. :)

The Overlord Returns
11-22-2002, 12:16 PM
Having been against the inclusion of Boba Fett as a player AT ALL in the prequels, I'm thinking it all went down something like this.

GL has the prequel points he wants to make. Battle droids being shown unworthy, clones being created and taking over as the premier line of defence..yada yada yada.....

Yet, he wants to include something that the fans will get behind. Enter the notion that a Bounty hunter of great skill (apparently) is the source of the clones. Hey, gl thinks, everyone loves Boba Fett, so I'll make him Boba Fetts dad. That way I can tell the tory as I see fit, and give the fans a little something as well. Nice in theory, but, this love of boba fett by the fans has lead to the creation of a rich fett back story already, one that does not fit in with GL's prequel vision. So, it has to go out the window.

Personally, if Boba Fett had to be in the film, I don't see why HE couldn't have been the clone source, rather than Jango. For one, it would help justify why this guy, inept to the Nth degree in the OT, is so revered for his skills. Not only that, but if he's pushing 65 by the time ROTJ happens, it helps explain why a blind man and a pole were able to best the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy.....

The problem with Jango, is how inconsistent his abilities are in ep 2. If he manages to assasinate Zam Wesell with two jedi hovering RIGHT OVER HER, how is it he can't kill padme himself, rather than get an inept bounty hunter to make a few futile attempts? For that matter, why didn't he off the two Jedi?????? THey were right there!!!!!!!!!!

Next up, he is apparently so proficient that he basically outfights the same Jedi that 10 years earlier killed the legitimately awseome force that was Darth maul. Yet, these days Kenopbi can barely handle a bounty hunter with no force capabilities what soever? Ofcourse, later on he is once again completely inept when it comes to taking on Mace windu........I mean...If I'm wearing a jet pack, and I get trampled by a reek.....I'm going to think to myself "hmm....my back pack might not work, better get the guns out because this dude is running right toward me with his lightsaber.........."

sigh..........makes me mad as all hell.

Beast
11-22-2002, 12:22 PM
Lucas disregarded nothing. If you do some actual reading, the Mandalorians were a race that were killed off by the Jedi in years before the prequels. Jango Fett is the last of their kind, though he was adopted by Jaster Merrel, the same person who's armor Boba Fett wears. Which is why in some older EU, he was thought to be Jaster Merrel. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
11-22-2002, 12:33 PM
LOL.............Jaster Mareel has NOTHING to do with what we see onscreen in ep 2. As far as the movie viewing fan is concerned, BOBA FETT gets his armour from his dead fathers corpse........he certainly makes off with the helmet.

Considering how often many of us point out that the EU is disregardable when it conflicts with GL's films, I don;t see how we can turn around and present it as fact when it suits us....

As far as I am concerned....Jango Fett is a Bounty Hunter who designed his own armor. His son, upon seeing his father die, takes the armor, and follows in his fathers footsteps.

No other explanation is now neccesary.

Beast
11-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Boba does wear his father's helmet, but it's repainted to match Jaster's armor. Which is onboard the Slave 1, in the armory. The Visual Dictionary even states that Jango has other suits aboard the ship. So it's not implausable that one of them once belonged to Jaster Merrel.

Remeber that current EU, is held to a much higher standard then EU from before 1997 or so. It cannot negate anything that occurs in the movies, or is planned for future movies. So if the EU says that that is Jango's origins, and it also confirmed in the visual dictionary. Then it is canon EU.

Other then the fact that Jango and Boba's armor is very different, and also according to the novels that follow Boba Fett in the years between E2 and E3, which again....follow the new stricter approval laws, buried his father in his armor on Geonosis. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
11-22-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
I mean...If I'm wearing a jet pack, and I get trampled by a reek.....I'm going to think to myself "hmm....my back pack might not work, better get the guns out because this dude is running right toward me with his lightsaber.........."

He did; I think Mace cut his gun in half.

mini-rock
11-22-2002, 10:42 PM
I'm not into EU, but it is fun to read when I come across it from time to time. And even though I wasn't the biggest Boba Fett fan from th OT, I thought it was pretty cool how GL managed to get him in th PT, and show us the origin of the Stormtroopers.

As for the Obi-Wan /Jango fight, Obi obviously kicked Jango's rear. As good as Jango is he shoulda known better than to screw with a Jedi.

scruffziller
11-24-2002, 04:34 AM
It is rather sad that the fans of GL's work know more about it more than he does. I wonder if GL has any production credits to the novels in anyway while they are being developed rather than just his stamp of approval after reading them.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Lucas disregarded nothing. If you do some actual reading, the Mandalorians were a race that were killed off by the Jedi in years before the prequels. Jango Fett is the last of their kind, though he was adopted by Jaster Merrel, the same person who's armor Boba Fett wears. Which is why in some older EU, he was thought to be Jaster Merrel.

Boba does wear his father's helmet, but it's repainted to match Jaster's armor. Which is onboard the Slave 1, in the armory. The Visual Dictionary even states that Jango has other suits aboard the ship. So it's not implausable that one of them once belonged to Jaster Merrel.

Remeber that current EU, is held to a much higher standard then EU from before 1997 or so. It cannot negate anything that occurs in the movies, or is planned for future movies. So if the EU says that that is Jango's origins, and it also confirmed in the visual dictionary. Then it is canon EU.

Other then the fact that Jango and Boba's armor is very different, and also according to the novels that follow Boba Fett in the years between E2 and E3, which again....follow the new stricter approval laws, buried his father in his armor on Geonosis. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

I agree. It is the truth as it was stated in records past.........from..............................a certain point of view.:D :D :crazed:

The 'Xir
11-24-2002, 07:17 AM
Well, what if early on Boba wanting revenge for his fathers death returns to the core systems from his home planet with a legion of these warrios to kill the Jedi! Say the clones first help the Jedi but once it looks like the battle is won, Palpatine finally exposes his treachery using whatever excuses he comes up with, and turns the clones on the already helplessly out numbered, tired and weakend Jedi! Just a thought.

derek
11-24-2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Caesar

He did; I think Mace cut his gun in half.

right on caesar.:)

i watched the mace/jango beheading in slow motion, and i was suprised to see mace cut jango's gun barrel off, and right after that, jango tried to ignite his jet pack, but sparks just came out. it all happens so fast, so watch it on super-slo mo and you'll see. if jango's jet pack had been working, mace probably wouldn't of been able to kill him.:)

gibbyhayes
11-30-2002, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the explanation JarJar, I agree completely. The Mandalorian element that is being overlooked here tidies up this discussion - which has nothing to do with the clones!

The 'Xir
12-09-2002, 10:33 AM
I wanted to go back to something Jar Jar said:
<<If you do some actual reading, the Mandalorians were a race that were killed off by the Jedi in years before the prequels.>>

Well, I did! Hence my original post, and as I had said 'The Empire Strikes Back' novel states; an armour covered spacesuit, like that worn by a race of warriors defeated by the Jedi Knights DURING the clone wars.
So we're in the middle of the Clone Wars, so I guess what I was impling with my original post was that, even though in the novel it states a suit "like" a Race of warriors, it obviously can't be the Clones because even if the Jedi end up doing battle with the clones, they obviously don't win or there'd be no Empire!
It would truely suck if George disregarded this as some of you have suggested, because as far as I remember, this was the only reference/insight to the Clone Wars either in the books or on screen; accept for the "General Kenobi" statement made by Leia, and Ben's own recounting of the events to Luke!
But, I guess it wouldn't be a suprise if he did, just a big disappointment to disregard something as hugely important as this detail that he originally had regarding the backstory!