PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite classic arcade game?

EricRG
11-24-2002, 02:05 AM
Actually, I think I liked the first Star Wars game best...the one where you control the target of the X-wing. So different (visually) from all the other games from that time. I always loved it when the Death Star blew up.

My fav non Star Wars one would probably be Pengo(!)

As far as current stuff, I only like some of the Pinball games, really.

Anybody know of any good arcades with lots of FUNCTIONAL classic boxes?

2-1B
11-24-2002, 02:16 AM
Donkey ******

Old Fossil
11-24-2002, 02:29 AM
Galaga. And Galaga '88.

scruffziller
11-24-2002, 03:06 AM
How classic?

Late 80s early 90s T2, Altered Beast, Roadblaster.

Early 80s.

Mr. Do, Dig Dug, Gorf, Donkey Kong Jr.

scruffziller
11-24-2002, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by EricRG
Actually, I think I liked the first Star Wars game best...the one where you control the target of the X-wing. So different (visually) from all the other games from that time. I always loved it when the Death Star blew up.

My fav non Star Wars one would probably be Pengo(!)

As far as current stuff, I only like some of the Pinball games, really.

Anybody know of any good arcades with lots of FUNCTIONAL classic boxes?

There are usually emulators you can download off the internet that will let you play these games on your computer.

EricRG
11-24-2002, 03:11 AM
Yeah, I have Macmame on my machine. Still, there's nothing like playing these things in a real arcade.

scruffziller
11-24-2002, 03:53 AM
Oh that is what u meant, my bad.

Do you have a site that I could find one that actually works. The sites I have found the one I downloaded was messed up.

The 'Xir
11-24-2002, 06:51 AM
All-time favorite: Galaga!!!

Mrs. Pacman, Q-bert, and Joust are some other highly notables!!!

JediBoulton
11-24-2002, 07:01 AM
Galaga ROCKS -- So did Dragon's Lair -- cool Cartoon 3D effects!

sith_killer_99
11-24-2002, 08:05 AM
All time favorite: Pac-Man

Runners' up goes to: Dragon's Lair, Q-Bert, Crossbow, Space Invaders and Donkey Kong.

mabudonicus
11-24-2002, 08:16 AM
I liked shoalins road, kung fu master, legend of kage, 50 cal, commando, TRON, and battlezone was pretty cool...
Oh, and Krazy Klimber was sorta fun for it's time..
Oh and Time Pilot rocked too....

it's a shame we didn't get all the titles available in Japan, there wer some really great games out over there, many of them far ahead of their time (pirate ship higemaru being the best one off the top of my head)

Oh, and defender or reactor tie for best sounds EVER

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-24-2002, 09:58 AM
My all time favorite classic arcade games were Double Dragon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Golden Axe. I must have wasted over 50% of my allowance money in those infernal blasted machines.

Talking about classic video games from the early 80's, even though I was very young, I still remember fondly playing Pole Position, Asteroids, and Galaga. Last week I went to a card store and played classic Nintendo Punch-Out! sans Mike Tyson (I beat Glass Joe and lost to Piston Anaconda)

QLD
11-24-2002, 10:45 AM
For me I think it would be:

Dig Dug

I used to LOVE that game. Still do.

Also close runners up would be:

Burger Time
Space invaders
Asteroids
Donkey Kong
Crystal Castles
Robotron
Sinistar

EricRG
11-24-2002, 01:08 PM
Scruff, assuming you have a PC (I have a Mac), you should be able to get something that works here:

http://www.arcadeathome.com/

Dig Dug, Burger Time, any Pac game, Q*Bert, Dragon's Lair, Gauntlet...just reading the names makes me feel warm inside.:crazed: Anybody remember playing these games at old-school Chuck E. Cheese? Man I loved that place. Modern-day ones are a shell of what they used to be.

Exhaust Port
11-24-2002, 06:42 PM
Galaga!!!

Time Pilot
Star Wars
BattleZone

Deoxyribonucleic
11-25-2002, 01:00 AM
Tempest, Galaxian, Tron, orginal Star Wars in the sit-down arcade style game!

This is a great thread!

DarthBrandon
11-25-2002, 01:18 AM
Galaga was my favorite. Since we are on the topic of games does anybody know what the game with the different colored circles (balls) with the cannon at the bottom of the screen is called? The object of the game is to shoot the balls out of the cannon and hit the appropriate color to clear the screen of the balls. If you know what I'm talking about, let me know. It played on the game machines at the bar.

JEDIpartner
11-25-2002, 10:57 AM
I still love Classic Space Invaders for its simplicity. I still smile when I hear the sounds... :happy:

Patient Zero
11-25-2002, 11:11 AM
Galaga

I just found out that they have it for PS2 (along with pacman, Digdug, etc. all on one disk). I know what I am getting for xmas!

PS And just remember all those hours we probably all spent playing Defender! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!:D

Rogue II
11-25-2002, 11:23 AM
Activision is also putting out a PS2 game that has 48 games from the Atari 2600 days. I saw it in the PS2 section of the ign.com website.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/378/378255p1.html

Here's the games:

Rack number one boasts Boxing, Bridge, Checkers, Dragster, Fishing Derby, Skiing, Freeway, and Ice Hockey, while the second slot has Kaboom, Demon Attack, Laser Blast, Tennis, Atlantis, Barnstorming, Chopper Command, and Stampede. Number three consists of Grand Prix, Megamania, Pitfall, River Raid, Sky Jinx, Spider Fighter, and Star Master, while we continue to count away in rack numero quarto with Beamrider, Moonsweeper, Crackpots, Activision Decathlon, Dolphin, Enduro, Frostbite, Keystone Kapers, and Oink! Moving towards the more obscure games out there, the fifth rack has titles like Plaque Attack, Pressure Cooker, Private Eye, Seaquest, Space Shuttle: A Journey into Space, Cosmic Commuter, H.E.R.O., Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, and Robot Tank. Finally, we come to the sixth and final rack that consists of Title Match Pro Wrestling, Commando, Baseball, Tomcat: The F14 Flight Simulator, River Raid II, and the never before released Kabobber and Thwocker.

Jango Jett
11-25-2002, 06:17 PM
I forgot the name of this game, but it was at the video game
arcade, you went on bombing missions and blew up oil refineries
and other targets like navy battle ships, etc.

JediTricks
11-25-2002, 06:36 PM
We've danced this dance before (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12915), but here's my list again:
Spy Hunter
Star Wars
Paperboy
Kung Fu Master
Defender
Galaga
Pole Position II
Strider
Rygar
Crazy Taxi
Rampage
Street Fighter II
Mortal Kombat
Dig Dug
Mr Do
Bubble Bobble
Tetris
Noah's Ark
Burger Time
Root Beer Tapper
Tempest
Centipede
Millipede
Popeye (love/hate relationship with that one)
Q*bert (ditto)
TRON
Elevator Action
Rolling Thunder
Arkanoid
Karnov
Smash TV
Shinobi
APB
Frogger
Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom
S.T.U.N. Runner

EricRG
11-25-2002, 08:49 PM
Is that in any sort of order, JT? Kinda figured this has been gone over before, but what the heck. Thanks for the older link.

Everybody loves Galaga. I never really liked it until I got it for my emulator.

JediTricks
11-25-2002, 09:01 PM
No order at all.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-25-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by brandon
Galaga was my favorite. Since we are on the topic of games does anybody know what the game with the different colored circles (balls) with the cannon at the bottom of the screen is called? The object of the game is to shoot the balls out of the cannon and hit the appropriate color to clear the screen of the balls. If you know what I'm talking about, let me know. It played on the game machines at the bar.

I think you are talking about Arkanoid. It was sorta like Pong meets Tetris. You can find a similar game on the Megatouch games many bars do carry.

Emperor Howdy
11-26-2002, 01:18 AM
Hmmm....

Space Invaders, Asteroids, Phoenix, Cobra Command, Gorf, Centipede/Millipede, Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Cliff Hanger, Tempest, Defender, Joust, Missile Command, Bubbles, Shinobi, Track-n-Field, Dig-Dug, Galaxian/Galaga, Donkey-Kong, Tron, Spy Hunter, Robotron, Q-Bert........

This is fun!

Zaxxon, Berserk, Crazy Climber, Lunar Lander, Karate Champ, Chiller (very gory for it's time!), Burger Time, Jungle King, Kangaroo, Circus (remember the lame dudes that used a see-saw to pop ballons?...sorry....I'm old), FireFox, Splatterhouse, LadyBug, Frogger, Krull, Time Pilot, Lifeforce, Gun Fight.....

God, I needed more friends when I was a kid! :rolleyes:

Jedi Master Silas
11-26-2002, 01:32 AM
Hands down it was Galaga.

good shot jansen
11-26-2002, 06:48 AM
space invaders was by far my favorite classic game, for awhile i even owned a full cabinet version of the game (in 1983 a bar in long island was selling it for the then princely sum of $50.00). had it in my living room for years. when i moved outta state, i gave it to a friend of mine in nj. i think he still has it.

2nd in line would have to be asteroids. imho, asteroids was the one arcade game that transfered well to different mediums, i remember enjoying it on the old atari system, as well as colecovision. my son has it for gameboy, and i still enjoy playing it on that.

Jedi Drew
11-26-2002, 07:44 AM
I would have to say that Centipede was the coolest because you had that ball to move around. Missile Command was also cool. But the two best were Pac Man and Space Invaders-I spent many quarters on the last two. (Well maybe not all my quarters but my parents :D :D ).

vulcantouch
11-26-2002, 07:03 PM
. . . cuz almost all my fave coin-ops- asteroids deluxe, tempest, space duel and graViTar (http://web.utanet.at/nkehrer/jae.html)- were theirs. only reactor, astro blaster (http://www.klov.com/A/Astro_Blaster.html) & space firebird (http://klov.com/S/Space_Fire_Bird.html) weren't.
btw, on above-linked space duel emulator (thanx for referral gsj :cool: ), i just scored a new high of 135000 (using the dual-ship) saturday after not having played in almost a year, so anyone care to take a run at it? you won't be sorry, it's slicker than shid on a hot summer night :sur:
vt