PDA

View Full Version : What Actors would you like to see?

Pendo
11-24-2002, 06:08 AM
I know Lucas prefers to use unknown actors in Star Wars, but he does use the occasional well known actor such as Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Alec Guinnes. What actors that haven't yet had a role in a Star Wars movie would you like to see in Episode III?

Judi Dench
Cate Blanchet
Viggo Mortensen
Ian McKellen
Chris Barrie
Halle Berry :D
John Rhys-Davies

PENDO!

Jek Porky 2002
11-24-2002, 08:07 AM
Hmm, only people that need to be in there, I really hope with it being the last film that they put in a load of cameo's for thesake of it, but:

I could really see Jaquan Phoenix from Gladiator in Star Wars, he's just got that look to him.

Maybe Ian McKellan, but he's too obvious, so I doubt we'd ever see him in Star Wars.

tagmac
11-25-2002, 07:41 PM
We don't need anymore LOTR actors in the Prequels - Christopher Lee is good enough. Halle Berry??!! PLEEEAASSSEEE.....keep her OUT of anything Star Wars!

Deoxyribonucleic
11-25-2002, 07:52 PM
Cate Blanchet = DEFINITELY! She's great!

IMO I'd replace Halle Barry with Angela Bassett to play in Star Wars and as Storm in X-Men!

Angela Bassett ROCKS!

stillakid
11-25-2002, 10:44 PM
Gee, I'd like to see George go back to his old ways and concentrate on the story instead of relying on Movie Stars to help "guarantee" box office numbers like all the movie studios do. I mean, for christsakes, why not drop Brittany Spears in there just to secure the teeny boppers? And F'n Halley Barry...she's the new "flavor of the month" isn't she? Why go through the pretense of pretending that this isn't just an "investment opportunity" and fill out the cast as if it were Cannonball Run?

Really, Harrison Ford wasn't that well known in 1977. Neither was Mark, or Carrie. Even the "star," Alec Guiness, wasn't an across the board celebrity. So, instead of pummeling us with more "stars" like Liam, Ewan, and Sam, ask him to go back to casting real actors who fit the parts in a real story that tells the tale.

Beast
11-25-2002, 10:57 PM
I disagree, Alec Guines was a huge actor before Star Wars. It's sad to see that his career has been so diminished by Star Wars that everyone remembers him as Obi-Wan Kenobi. It's no wonder he got frustrated always being associated with the role.

And lets not forget Peter Cushing, who was also a huge actor before his apperance in Star Wars. Again, its sad that most people remember him as Grand Moff Tarkin, instead of his other notable roles.

And there is also Phil Brown, who was quite a big star before Star Wars as well. Appearing in many many movies before Star Wars cursed him with only being remembered as Uncle Owen.

I could name quite a few more, but I think that I have pointed out that even the very first Star Wars film had it's Stars. I don't see any thing wrong with casting stars, as long as they are right for the part.

Lucas still casts unknown actors for most of the roles. Having a few names in there doesn't hurt the story at all. It's an actor playing a role, which doesn't impact on the story at all. As you can see, it's not like it's a new thing. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
11-26-2002, 08:24 AM
If you'd asked the average american who Ewan MacGregor was before Star Wars and Moulin Rouge, they'd have looked at you and said "who?"......

Alec Guiness WAS a star when he signed on for episode 4......he would be comparable to Anthony Hopkins' status today. JEJ had already won oscars before voicing vader. The only MASSIVE star in the prequels is Sam Jackson, and I'm sorry, but when an actor of that calibre openly begs to be in your movie...that's just an added bonus.

Besides, Are you saying Ewan MacGregor was NOT right for the role of Obi Wan? I couldn't disagree more........

Deoxyribonucleic
11-26-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns

Besides, Are you saying Ewan MacGregor was NOT right for the role of Obi Wan? I couldn't disagree more........

I agree with your disagree....I don't think there could have been a better "young" obi-wan and you can tell he really studied obi's character from the real OT 'cause he has his accent and mannerisms down perfectly! I think he was an excellent choice plus he knows how to act :)

However, I wouldn't want someone like leo dicap, tom cruise or julia roberts in a star wars movie as those blockbuster type superstars (why they are, don't ask me) IMO do not know how to act and can only do very limited types of roles and would ruin the whole star wars story if they appeared in the film. There's a certain type of actore I feel that can only be portrayed in these films well and "blockbuster" superstars aren't it!

I do think the choices have been pretty darn good though so far for the prequels!

:)

stillakid
11-26-2002, 09:31 AM
I wasn't suggesting that the ANH actors were unknowns, simply that they weren't really "stars." Even Alec Guiness wasn't necessarily huge, as some in Pendo's initial list are. But we all know the story of how GL fought against using any "stars" and that Alec was more or less forced on him by the studio. His attitude at the time was that established actors would detract from the story. That m.o. apparently went out the window when GL essentially turned into a studio mogul concerned more with the return on his investment than with the quality of his work.

The Overlord Returns
11-26-2002, 09:54 AM
Well, originally he wanted Toshiro Mifune for the role, to accentuate the samurai inspiration for the Jedi, and also because he is a huge fan of The Seven Samurai et al. However, the studio didn't feel casting a Japanese actor who could barely speak english was a sound idea. I don't remember hearing that Guiness was forced on him in any way.

Still, only Jackson is a HUGE star, Neeson is well known....but I wouldn't say he is a huge star by any means. The funny thing is, with the exception of Ford, the unknown actors cast in star wars have also been the poorest....

Mark Hamill
Carrie Fisher
Lil ani (can't remember that kids name)
Hayden Christensen......

Imagine ep 1 with Haley Joel Osmant, a much bigger star......

Or Wes bentley ( more established) as Anakin in Clones......

Jek Porky 2002
11-27-2002, 03:05 PM
I didn't think that Ewan was very well known in the US before TPM, in fact he was little known here in Britain, or as "that guy from Trainspotting", Star Wars made him Ewan McGregor. I don't mind Liam playing Qui-Gon, because he's not exactly in everything, he picks his roles very carefully, and he also has that Star Wars look to him.

Sam Jackson, on the other hand, I'm not too sure of, I think he's in there for the sake of it, and his personallity is completely wrong for the part of the leading Jedi Knight.

El Chuxter
11-27-2002, 04:43 PM
Sam Jackson was huge before TPM. I'd go so far as to say Liam Neeson was as well, and Ewan and Natalie weren't far behind.

Jake Lloyd wasn't an unknown, either; he starred in the (surprisingly fun) Jingle All the Way opposite Arnold Schwarzenhamandegger, Sinbad, and the late, great Phil Hartmann. (A moment of silence, please.)

As for guest roles. . . I think Lucas should throw everyone a bone and put in the guy voted "Most Likely to Get Turned Down for the Role of Han Solo" by his high school class: Christopher Walken. He has a nice, sinister look to him that would fit pretty well in the SW universe.

tagmac
11-27-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
As for guest roles. . . I think Lucas should throw everyone a bone and put in the guy voted "Most Likely to Get Turned Down for the Role of Han Solo" by his high school class: Christopher Walken. He has a nice, sinister look to him that would fit pretty well in the SW universe.

Definitely as a villain, but thankfully he was never cast as Han Solo.

Let's not forget that, before Empire, Billy Dee Williams was also a pretty established star in his own right. Not as big as Alec Guiness, but certainly not an unknown either.

Toad
11-27-2002, 07:37 PM
JEJ had already won oscars before voicing vader.

Really? For what?

I would say Liam Neeson was a considerable "star" before Ep. I. I don't know that I'd label Ewan a "star" before then, but I think a lot of people knew who he was (even if it was as "the Trainspotting guy").

I guess I don't mind the sort of "stars" GL uses. Sam Jackson is cool in his role, I think Jimmy Smits will be cool in his, etc. I think he uses his stars wisely.

The Overlord Returns
11-28-2002, 08:38 AM
Sorry, that should have read nominated for oscars. He lost to George Scott in 1970.

And tagmac, that's a great point about Billy Dee....he was quite well known before empire.......

Bobajames
11-28-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter

Did you guys ever see that SNL with the "original" Star Wars screen tests? They did Christopher Walken for Han Solo and Walter Matthau (sp?) for Obi-Wan. Good times, good times.

QLD
12-05-2002, 08:00 PM
Well, with the way things are going now.....

Let's go for the following:

Dom Delouise
David Hassellhoff
Mr. T (I ain't gettin on no SPACESHIP YODA!)
Candice Bergen
Steven Seagall
Jean Claude Van Damme
Julie Strain
Cynthia Rothrock
Burt Ward
Billy Blanks

And finally......the ultimate....

JOE DON BAKER!!!!!!

:crazed:

stillakid
12-05-2002, 09:27 PM
As a serious contribution to this thread, I'd like to make a submission to the pool.

If GL is going to use established actors anyway, I'd like to see Chris Cooper (October Sky) somewhere. He'd make a good no-nonsense backworld Senator or something.

I'd also like to see Victoria Silvstedt (in just about anything....or in nothing at all;) ). She'd make a decent "pleasure girl" to Palpatine. I really think we need to see the guy "indulging" in his growing power in some way. What better way than with a tall drink of blonde. :D

Bobajames
12-05-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong

Mr. T (I ain't gettin on no SPACESHIP YODA!)

:crazed:

Foo!

Dar Basra
12-05-2002, 11:24 PM
Ioan Gruffudd as Baby Grand Moff Tarkin, Fleet Admiral and Commander of the Inner Rim Clone Armada

TheJediCharles
12-13-2002, 04:34 PM
The ones I not only agree with but am impressed with the suggestions are..

* Judi Dench
* Ian McKellen
* John Rhys-Davies

However, the Chris Barrie suggestion, while I do dig him and especially Red Dwarf, I'm afraid to say his presence would be way out of place. I'd just laugh as soon as I saw him, as would anyone else who recognized him. Who else? Jedi Master Flibble?

;)

"Master Flibble is very cross. He's gonna use his Force-Hex-Vision on yous all!"

Pendo
12-14-2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by TheJediCharles
However, the Chris Barrie suggestion, while I do dig him and especially Red Dwarf, I'm afraid to say his presence would be way out of place. I'd just laugh as soon as I saw him, as would anyone else who recognized him. Who else? Jedi Master Flibble?

;)

"Master Flibble is very cross. He's gonna use his Force-Hex-Vision on yous all!"

I agree that Chris Barrie is seen mostly in comedies and would probably look out of place, but he is a serious actor and I think he'd pull off a good Military Leader, such as Piett's father or something.

And I DEFFO think Mr Flibble should be in it (as long as they don't replace him with CGI :p)! I don't think he should be a Jedi though. Darth Flibble would fit him better :D, and Barrie can be his Master, Palpatine's clone (gone wrong :crazed:...).

PENDO!

TheJediCharles
12-16-2002, 09:32 AM
Well, I know Barrie is fully capable of acting beyond comedy, only it would be pointless to use someone like him. Why? Because the audience would either not recognize him thus any nobody could have been used and anyone who does recognize him will either instictially laugh and destroy the seriousness of his role or simply wonder why they decided to use him thus distracting from the seriousness of his character.

So, the best result that could be gotten from him is just distraction.

It's clear the only reason to use a known actor at all, cross-comedic or not, is to gather attention to his character as being pivotal. If you break those rules, you just get one of those Christian Slater in Star Trek 6 moments, that is so distracting that when the scene was over many suddenly realize they didn't even hear what the actors even said and are asking the guy next to him... complete and utter distraction.

You see what I mean?

TheJediCharles
12-16-2002, 09:33 AM
Here's a way to look at it.

While it may seem like an effort to compliment an actor to use him in a big film in such a way, it actually ends up insulting them both, actor and film.

bobafett07728
12-16-2002, 11:22 AM
I thought James Earl Jones won an award of somesort for "The Great White Hope"? I could be mistaken though, I am not a major movie buff.

As far as actors in Episode III. . . I don't think there are going to be any more new characters introduced, let alone a character with enough screentime to garner a big name star. George Lucas has always used two, or three well-known actors in each of his movies, but I don't think he'll have an opportunity to add anymore to this one. I think we will just have to be satisfied to see Jimmy Smit's role be a little more important, and that 'star' to have more screen time. No new superstars this time. . . sorry guys.

Dar Basra
12-16-2002, 11:22 AM
it actually ends up insulting them both, actor and film.You mean, like using Samuel Jackson in The Phantom Menace?

bobafett07728
12-16-2002, 11:27 AM
Joe Don Baker !?!??!?

You might as well have silouettes of Mike, Crow, and Tom Servo in the lower right hand corner of Episode III then ! ! !

He's the LAST person we need to corrupt the Star Wars Saga. . . he damn near ruined the James Bond movie he was in.

When I think Joe Don Baker. . . I think. . .

wacachuka. . . wacachuka. . . wacachuka. . . . MITCHELL!!!!

stillakid
12-16-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Dar Basra
You mean, like using Samuel Jackson in The Phantom Menace?

Didn't you see that embarrassing performance he gave?:sur:

Dar Basra
12-16-2002, 12:19 PM
I didn't see much of it ... I was too busy cringing.

TheJediCharles
12-16-2002, 12:33 PM
You mean, like using Samuel Jackson in The Phantom Menace?

No, because that was a role that was known was to grow in importance in subsequent films, as Smits is expected to do too. Anything Barrie could play in the final chapter would not.

Nebulaz
12-16-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

Really, Harrison Ford wasn't that well known in 1977.

the problem with harrison ford in 1977 was that he wasnt known. We wasnt an actor. He was part of the props department, and GL just happened to need an extra actor after he from all of then up into groups of 5, he was one short. So he thru Ford in hoping he could act. And well u see him today.

The Overlord Returns
12-16-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Nebulaz
the problem with harrison ford in 1977 was that he wasnt known. We wasnt an actor. He was part of the props department, and GL just happened to need an extra actor after he from all of then up into groups of 5, he was one short. So he thru Ford in hoping he could act. And well u see him today.

That's amazing.......especially considering GL had cast Ford 4 years earlier in American graffiti........ ;)

stillakid
12-16-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Nebulaz

Q: I have a couple of questions about Harrison Ford. First, wasn’t he born in Illinois? I am sure I remember reading that in some biography. Also, I believe I read where he had been married twice and that he was a construction worker before he became a star. Is that right? Do you have an address for him? How many movies has he been in?

T.R.

Peoria

A: You’re correct. Harrison Ford was born in Illinois, and according to a couple of Web sites, he has been married twice.

Ford was born in Chicago in July 1942 to Christopher and Dorothy Ford and has one brother, Terence.

According to information on Ford at www.starpulse.com, his first wife’s name was Mary and they had two sons, Willard and Benjamin. He later married Melissa Mathison, and they also had two children, Malcolm and Georgia.

The site said before Ford became a star, he earned money as a carpenter.

You can write to him in care of McQueeny Management, 146 N. Almont Drive, Suite 8, Los Angeles, CA 90048.

He began his career in the 1960s but gained fame in the 1970s with "American Graffiti" (1973), "Star Wars" (1977) and "Force 10 from Navarone" (1978). The 1980s brought us more science fiction, with "Blade Runner" and two "Star Wars" sequels, plus the action-adventure trio of "Indiana Jones" movies, the drama of "Witness" and the comedy of "Working Girl." Ford has been in more movies than Hotline has space to print.

You can check out his filmography at www.imdb.com, the Internet Movie Database.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Ford,+Harrison

Gungan Warrior
01-06-2003, 03:57 PM
Halle Berry is defintely a thumns UP! :D
I hope Ahmed Best returns to Play JAR JAR BINKS! YEAH I SAID IT. And hopefully he will have more movie time! :D
It would be nice to see JANET JACKSON. Why not add another Jackson (Samuel Jackson). I would love to see JLO OH yes Sweet JLO. But I serious doubt she will be there!

stillakid
01-06-2003, 06:37 PM
You know who we haven't seen lately? M. Emmett Walsh. I mean, if GL's going to fill the screen up with MOVIESTARS, there's GOT to be a part in Star Wars for him.

The Overlord Returns
01-07-2003, 09:11 AM
You know who we haven't seen lately? M. Emmett Walsh. I mean, if GL's going to fill the screen up with MOVIESTARS, there's GOT to be a part in Star Wars for him.

SK, I think MEW died a few years ago, which might explain why we haven't seen him.

Besides, what would be wrong with casting a well respected character actor, which the SW saga is FILLED with, in ep 3?

stillakid
01-08-2003, 11:01 AM
SK, I think MEW died a few years ago, which might explain why we haven't seen him.
Gosh, I hope not! That would mean it was a ghost that I shook hands with sometime last year. :eek: He even gave me one of those steel pennies they made during the war. :greedy:

Besides, what would be wrong with casting a well respected character actor, which the SW saga is FILLED with, in ep 3?
Nothing...now. It's just that it didn't start out that way. Guiness was forced on Lucas so that the studio could have some kind of "star" in this really weird movie they were about to make.

Now, Lucas is behaving like a studio and cramming in as many name actors as he can to hedge his bets. Being that's the case, let's get N-Sync back on set and start shooting! :cool:

The Overlord Returns
01-08-2003, 11:37 AM
Gosh, I hope not! That would mean it was a ghost that I shook hands with sometime last year. :eek: He even gave me one of those steel pennies they made during the war. :greedy:
]

Hmmm.....well...I'm wrong there then!

[B]
Nothing...now. It's just that it didn't start out that way. Guiness was forced on Lucas so that the studio could have some kind of "star" in this really weird movie they were about to make.

Now, Lucas is behaving like a studio and cramming in as many name actors as he can to hedge his bets. Being that's the case, let's get N-Sync back on set and start shooting! :cool:

While Guinness wasn't Lucas's initial first choice (Toshiro Mifune), I don't think it quite went down the way you've got it playing out.

Lucas also cast fine character actors like peter Cushing and James Earl Jones. Hardly no names at the time.

Then there's Billy Dee Williams, certainly not someone forced on GL by the studio, yet he was well known when ESB was made.

So, in the prequels, yes, there are a few more name actors. One reason for that is, it's much easier to get recognition for work with the kind of media we have now. Still, until Ep 1, and even moreso Moulin Rouge, Most americans wouldn't have a clue who Ewan MacGregor was. I'd say quite a few would still scratch their heads.

Liam Neeson, while well known, has never been a "star" in the eyes of north americans populace. I'd call him the Alec Guinness of the prequels.

Natalie Portman, definitely not a household name. Sure, she'd be known by raging internet fanboy geeks via Leon (the proffessional), and some may have seen her less than spectacular other releases.......... but she's no Julia Roberts. She still isn't.

The one real "star" in the prequels is Sam Jackson, and we all know the story that brought him into the SW saga. I have no problem with it, George had a part that he could see Sam playing, and he does a fine job.

Then there's Christopher Lee, who rose to cult fame playing Dracula opposite Pter Cushings Van Helsing. He's a dignified actor, and an Icon in the british film and theatre world, much like Guinness or Cushing...so, where's the problem?

As for N'sync, well, it was a harmless bit of filming where they supposedly ran around with cloaks and lightsabers, had no dialogue, and were left on the cutting room floor...sounds a lot like what happens to thousands of extras in the film world.

Honestly Stillakid, I agree with a lot of your criticisms of the prequels, and we've discussed them quite a bit. Still, this is a bit of a petty qualm. I think you might need to choose your battles in a wiser fashion ;)

stillakid
01-08-2003, 11:49 AM
Honestly Stillakid, I agree with a lot of your criticisms of the prequels, and we've discussed them quite a bit. Still, this is a bit of a petty qualm. I think you might need to choose your battles in a wiser fashion ;)

Mmm, okay! :)

But I seriously would like to see M. Emmett Walsh and Chris Cooper if he has to keep picking name "character" actors instead of virtual unknowns. The Sam Jackson thing was just a huge mistake in my opinion. At least find someone who knows how to act against a blue screen, fer cryin' out loud.

The Overlord Returns
01-08-2003, 12:08 PM
Chris Cooper would be very cool.......I just can't see a part for him.....

I'd love to see Gary Oldman in the saga....perhaps as a young Tarkin.

mini-rock
01-13-2003, 01:44 PM
The OT & PT both have there share of known & unknown actors. I'm very happy with the choices made for both, but the best decision was getting Sam Jackson in as Mace. There never could be a better choice, and will be more remembered than anything the OT had to offer (with the exception of Vader who is a close second and took two different actors to pull off).

Also if Chris Lee had not been available for as Dooku for AOTC I think Morgan Freeman would have been another excellent choice.:)