PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Channel Programming: What the hell?!

Beast
11-25-2002, 12:37 AM
Ok, I am confused as hell. I just flipped on the Sci-Fi channel to see that they are showing Braveheart. Now, not that Braveheart isn't an excellent film, but why the hell is it on the Sci-Fi channel? Last I checked, that film isn't science fiction. It's not even horror. Somebody want to explain what the heck is going on?

Man, I thought American Movie Classics going from a channel that only showed classic american movies, to one that showed just about anything was unsettling. Sure, the channel is actually better in ways, after becoming the American Movie Channel, but what's up with Sci-Fi? First they cancel Farscape, and now this??

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
11-25-2002, 12:40 AM
They should air 'Friday the 13th The Series' more often.

DarthBrandon
11-25-2002, 12:45 AM
Yeah I seen that while flicking through the channels and thought what the hell is that all about. It would be like a Rap video station showing Country videos for godís sake, or like the Cartoon Network showing Star Trek The Next Generation. It just doesn't make any sense.:frus:

2-1B
11-25-2002, 12:56 AM
Or like MTV showing music videos. :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D :D

BanthaPoodoo
11-25-2002, 01:59 PM
From usenet:

It's because of the big battle scene near the end: The rebels are standing there, waiting for the English charge. They make no move to defend themselves.

Full-length camera shots show that nothing is lying on the ground at their feet. The English have almost arrived; the rebels will be slaughtered! But suddenly, the rebels reach down and pick up the huge long spears that weren't there 30 seconds before.

The English impale themselves and lose. This is the earliest known use of Star-Trek-style "replicator" technology in the movies. Ergo -----> Braveheart = science fiction

:):):)

And let's not forget Indiana Jones coming up. Guess they confused those as the Han Solo adventures.......

Patient Zero
11-25-2002, 02:39 PM
Mini-USA...I mean Sci Fi is going completely to hell between canceling their best program, constant reruns and their grade E made for tv movies. I think that they are just wasting their money on these horrible made for tv movies. I only hope that "Taken" isn't going to be as bad as I fear.

Beast
11-25-2002, 03:02 PM
I just saw a "Making of" program about Taken, last night on the Sci-Fi channel. It looks like it's going to be a great mini-series. Hopefully I catch all 10 nights, and that they release it on DVD. I just can't imagine a mini-series like they are doing, not being good. On for 10 nights, for 2 hours a night. And the special effects look kick-arse. The scene from the first night, of the allied bombers over Germany getting buzzed by "lights in the sky" were amazing. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
11-25-2002, 07:00 PM
This has been SFC's insipid little plan for nearly 2 years now, get the core sci-fi audience to leave the channel and turn it into "The Action Channel". This is why they dumped all their original series including one of the best sci-fi series ever, Farscape. I would boycott the station except I barely watch it as it is, even SG1 is going on hiatus for 2 weeks after tonights 2 eps.

As for AMC, I lost all respect for them when they started editing for content and showing commercials. Not really preserving a film when you compromise its integrity and stop it 2/3rds of the way in to sell the audience Ex-Lax and yeast infection treatments. Luckily, we still have Turner Classic Movies, which has really blossomed into a gem of late.

James Boba Fettfield
11-25-2002, 07:03 PM
I saw Robocop 3 on AMC and cried.

InsaneJediGirl
11-27-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
I saw Robocop 3 on AMC and cried.

Well,that wasnt as bad as classifing it as a "great movie".:crazed:Turner Classic Movies is doing a much better job of turning out great movies.:DAnyways..SciFi is getting really bad with programming..whatever happened to "Sightings"?

James Boba Fettfield
11-27-2002, 09:37 AM
I think I saw Sightings on very late at night. I was wondering what happened to Tales From The Crypt. I saw it one morning around 10 am on Sci-Fi and was all excited. The next day a show with a guy named Barnubus was on. I cried then, too.

JediTricks
11-27-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
I saw Robocop 3 on AMC and cried. Hey, I paid hard currency to see that movie in the theater, so I'm the one who should be crying! :D Calling that POS an "American Movie Classic" is like calling Pizza Hut "Italian cuisine".

I was in shock today when I turned on SFC by accident and caught the beginning of Stargate (widescreen), then I checked the schedule and realized it was on like 50 times this month.

Eternal Padawan
11-29-2002, 07:18 AM
Hey. They accidentally put MST3K on last Saturday morning. :D I don't know if it was a scheduling glitch or what, but it made me smile to see it again.

JediTricks
11-29-2002, 09:01 PM
My sister recently told me that MST3k is on every Sat and/or Sun morning on SFC unless it's pre-empted for a special weekend "event", but they only show ones that originally aired on SFC, not Comedy Central, so that means Pearl, Brain Guy, and Bobo.

James Boba Fettfield
12-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Recently they showed Apollo 13 on Sci Fi. Someone want to explain that one for me? I mean, Apollo 13 isn't really science fiction, unless you're one of those conspiracy nut jobs.

JediTricks
12-02-2003, 09:51 PM
At least it's the "sci" part of the channel's name. ;) What's Braveheart? Neither "sci" nor "fi". Still, except for Knight Rider reruns, I haven't watched jack squat on this decrepit channel in months, and I certainly don't plan to watch their awful Battlestar Galactica miniseries.

darthzirock
12-03-2003, 11:45 PM
Battlestar Galactica was one of those things that looked good on paper, but once the rushes started coming in even SFC started getting a sinking feeling. Part of the problem is that the story is far too revisionary, and none of the changes are for the better. A lot of post-9/11 rhetoric has been rather ham-fistedly injected into the story, too. And then, there's the human-replicant Cyclon that look like a Maxim magazine covergirl ... stupid! At least SFC wised up and had this thing cut from 6 hours to just 4, so maybe it won't lose them too much money when it bombs in the ratings. Oh, the first night might do well, but I forsee and huge second-night drop-off. Just remember, if it gets decent ratings, the plan has been to use this as a back-door series pilot! :eek:

James Boba Fettfield
12-04-2003, 09:50 PM
I understand what you mean, but they could of shown something like Capricorn 1.

And that Battlestar Galactica series doesn't look too great, either.