PDA

View Full Version : Geting Started

mnorusis
11-25-2002, 09:24 AM
So I recently came into a sizeable vintage star wars figure collection and was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction to get started on learning more about them. I don't think I could part with them but it would definitely be fun to learn more about them and what the collection is worth. Thanks for any help.

Mike

gibbspaulus
11-26-2002, 03:38 AM
Go to the links pages of your favourite SW sites and hunt. PLaces like Gadders, and Toysrgus.com have loads of info. AS for pricing I haven't a clue I'm afraid!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-27-2002, 08:27 PM
Ask specific questions here, at SSG's Vintage section! Like...

What's the deal with the blue and red Snaggletooths? Or is it Snaggleteeth?

Why don't Stormtrooper, TIE Pilot, and Snowtroopers' heads move?

Luke has a yellow saber? Why?

Etc., etc.

Tiggertheterrible
12-08-2002, 01:06 PM
I'd start by purchasing a guide (such as Tomart's if it's still around) and figure out exactly what you have. Then decide where you want to go from there. Also, you might want to have your collection appraised. Depending on how large it is & what you have you might consider having it insured. You'd need an appraisal for that.

mtriv73
12-20-2002, 04:17 PM
I stumped Bel-Cam Jos, Why did Luke come with a yellow saber?

Bel-Cam Jos
12-20-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by mtriv73
I stumped Bel-Cam Jos, Why did Luke come with a yellow saber?
This has been debated for a long time. My view is that Ben was supposed to keep his blue blade to battle with Vader's and not be the same color, and the only other non-Sith saber was Luke's, also a blue one, so maybe they switched its color so there'd be no confusion. Why? I dunno... :confused: The 12" Ben (I think) had a yellow blade while Luke had blue. Huh? Wha-?!? :sur: And why did Bespin Luke have a yeloow one, too? Hmm...

Kidhuman
12-30-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Ask specific questions here, at SSG's Vintage section! Like...

What's the deal with the blue and red Snaggletooths? Or is it Snaggleteeth?

Why don't Stormtrooper, TIE Pilot, and Snowtroopers' heads move?

Luke has a yellow saber? Why?

Etc., etc.

The blue snaggletooth was a Sears early-bird special from way back when. There was a total of four figures. I am looking at the other three figures now and see that the snowtrooper and tie pilots helmets come down over their breast armor. Probably limiting their head movement in ther movies and so it translated onto the figure. The pilot really didnt need to move his head in the movie since he could look at the radars in front of him on the counsole of the tie-fighters. As for the stormtrooper I have no idea. These are all just speculation and my opinion(except for the snaggletooth). I could be wrong but just wanted to speculate.

Kidhuman
01-01-2003, 02:08 AM
Sorry didnt realize you werre using those as an example:D

Bel-Cam Jos
01-01-2003, 01:38 PM
But it stimulated a brief discussion, eh? I have done my job. ;) Now if we can just get mnorusis to join in...

JON9000
01-02-2003, 03:56 PM
I never noticed the problem with Luke's saber until now. I know it is yellow and all, but I just never thought about it. I guess vintage Luke was one of those toys I had since I was 3, so I never questioned it. Same with Bespin Luke.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-03-2003, 12:44 PM
I also liked how Kenner tried to fix the problem with Jedi Luke... by giving him a blue saber? :eek: Many a year ago, I traded a friend some GI Joe stuff for SW figs and accessories, so I have both a green and blue Jedi Luke saber; my other Bespin Luke now feels correct! :D

vayoma
01-10-2003, 04:20 PM
I just wanted to chime in about Kenner changing the color of the Luke Jedi figure's saber to blue, before it was subsequently changed to green. As some of you may already know, that wasn't a decision Kenner made--it came from Lucasfilm. Kenner's early information when they were doing the ROTJ line was that Luke would have a blue saber (but darker blue than the one he had in ANH and ESB) in Jedi. In fact, I have a VHS copy of the Star Wars Holiday Special that I bought from a guy, and he put some very early ESB and ROTJ trailers at the end of the tape for me. In one of the Jedi trailers, they show a clip from Luke fighting on Jabba's sail barge, and his saber is blue. So the change must have been made after some of the special effects were already added to the cut of the movie. I seem to remember hearing at one time or another about why Lucas decided his saber color should instead be green in Jedi, but I can't recall what the precise explanation was.

Chad