PDA

View Full Version : Next Star Trek movie

James Boba Fettfield
11-25-2002, 10:09 AM
I found this at Cinescape. It scares me to read some of things Berman says.

By: SCOTT COLLURA
By: Managing Editor

While discussing the upcoming tenth film in the STAR TREK franchise this weekend with CINESCAPE, dubbed STAR TREK: NEMESIS, executive producer and STAR TREK head honcho Rick Berman let loose that he’s certain an eleventh film in the ever-popular series will be made, regardless of how NEMESIS performs at the box office when it hits theaters on December 13th.

“I can tell you right now we’ll be making another film,” Berman says. “There’s never been a STAR TREK movie that wasn’t profitable for Paramount. One of the things about STAR TREK movies is there’s no risk in making them because the studio knows if you spend this much money on producing the film, you’re going to make that much money, or you might make that much money. But there’s pretty much a window of the profitability of these films… unlike non-STAR TREK films which could be total wrecks and not make a dime, or could take off and make $200 million, there’s a risk involved. There’s very little risk involved in STAR TREK films, so I think we’re a long way from seeing the end.”

Paramount’s ad campaign for NEMESIS seems to imply that this might just be the last of the NEXT GENERATION films, and while Berman is not ready to write off Captain Picard and the crew of the Enterprise-E yet, he is willing to discuss an idea that has been thrown about over the years in TREK circles: the notion of combining characters from various TREK incarnations to create a sort of smorgasbord cast for the next movie.

“As to whether the next film will include these [TNG] characters, or a combination of these characters with other characters from other series, [or] new characters—that’s all yet to be discussed. And that won’t happen [the] Saturday morning [after NEMESIS opens] hopefully,” he laughs. “They usually will give me a couple of months to breathe.”

The executive producer stresses that “there’s been no discussion whatsoever about the next film” on an official level, but he does believe that a mix of TREK characters is a viable option for the feature film franchise. He even has some ideas about which characters might or might not work in such a capacity.

“I don’t know if putting [DEEP SPACE NINE’s Captain] Sisko on the screen is viable,” he says. “But in the last film we put Robert Picardo who plays The Doctor into the film, which was, I think, met with a lot of cheers, and in this film we’ve got Kate Mulgrew doing a cameo. I think there are certain characters from other [shows that would work]. Colm Meaney is a remarkable actor. Rene Auberjonois is a remarkable actor. Jeri Ryan, I can’t imagine people would not love to see her on the big screen. So there are possibilities of combining other actors. But then again, I’m not suggesting that we’re going to do that. It’s just a possibility. It’s even a possibility that we would include characters from ENTERPRISE even though they’re 200 years earlier. Anything’s possible with STAR TREK.”

Berman also has an idea of what STAR TREK 11 should be called.

“The next film will be STAR TREK 12—[we’re] just keeping the even numbers,” he jokes.

JediTricks
11-25-2002, 08:15 PM
I found that surprisingly honest and balanced for the megalomaniacal Berman. ;)

In any event, I am patiently waiting for Nemesis, but I still think the foggy Picard, Data, and a Gil Hibben-esque knife don't make for great poster art. I am also in shock that this is the 2nd time in my lifetime that we're being threatened with "the end of Trek films" in one form or another. Personally, I can't get enough Trek.

wedgeA
11-26-2002, 08:09 PM
JT,

I heartily agree, more Trek is always a good thing, unless it is Voyager. I could go for the notion of combining crews, but I think that Sisko and Odo should be left out, considering the events of the DS9 finale.

I doubt they are going to do an Enterprise movie while the show is still on, remember what happened after The X-Files movie, it never really recovered creatively from the massive output of having two seasons with movie in between. I would not mind seeing a totally new crew just for the films either.

JediTricks
11-26-2002, 10:45 PM
I don't think audiences could warm to an entirely-new crew for the films, the films are driven by the shows and without the character depth brought by those series, most folks would see it as just another sci-fi throwaway.

I agree with you about Odo, but it's been well over a year since Sisko said he might be back in a year, so that door is definitely open. Not sure what the character would be though, since he wouldn't be human - I suppose he could be an advisor on the Enterprise and cause turmoil that way, but he couldn't be "regular ol' Captain Ben Sisko who was non-corporeal for a few years". ;)

Jayspawn
11-28-2002, 12:54 PM
They're hyping this Trek film as the last of the Next Generation crew. Which I can see is possible, Brent Spiner is getting a little old to play Data. And since Picard will never take a promotion- I'm interested to see what will happen to him.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them do anything, that will take you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there- you can make a difference." - Captain Kirk in "Generations"

mini-rock
11-28-2002, 01:10 PM
I like all the Trek films, and whether they did a DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise movie I'd welcome it.

JediTricks
11-29-2002, 10:05 PM
Jayspawn, they pulled the same stuff with Star Treks 3 through 6, so I'm not yet worried. Especially because the Nemesis ad says something like "the beginning of the end of a generation's journey" which is somewhat vague.

Eternal Padawan
11-30-2002, 09:49 AM
I think they should blow up the Enterprise in the next one. ;)
Lord knows they haven't flogged THAT dead horse enough times yet.
Actually, I think the next one should pick up immediately after this one. A crew without a ship. And then a crisis arises and they are forced to use a vintage Enterprise type ship ( I say type because that jerk Kirk done blew up the original in Wrath of Khan :mad: ). It'd be a hoot to see them on a TOS Enterprise. :)

JediTricks
12-01-2002, 04:34 PM
"A generation's final journey begins" is a more accurate quote. Look at ST 2 through 5, those movies are all back-to-back stories, that's 4 films all telling one story, so Nemesis could just be the first of a handful of movies bringing about the end of the TNG crew in cinema.

I'm dang tired of them blowing up the Enterprise whenever the plot bogs down. It made sense in ST3, but ST7 it was gratuitous IMO so to do it again only a few movies later seems like they've totally exhausted all good ideas.

BTW, Kirk blew up the Enterprise in Search For Spock, not WOK, and if he hadn't blown up the Enterprise it would have been mothballed anyway.

Darth Sinister
12-02-2002, 12:53 AM
I agree that the destruction of the Enterprise-E would not be a good move, considering that the Sovereign class starship is the coolest of all time. I did agree with destroying Ent-C because it was a movie about the end of things we had grown to love over the years. The death of Kirk and the loss of the Enterprise served as a new beginning for the movies. TNG crew stars alone in First Contact with a new ship that helps serve it as possibly the best Trek movie.

I wish this movie would lead into a great story that would unite most of the current generation's Trek characters. A war with someone....told better than the DS9 war....that would shake the Trek world and could possibly lead into a new series. I think this movie is going to set things like this up nicely. Have a show with Riker that could have a mixture of TNG, DS9 or Voyager.

It would also be nice if this movie set up something with the Romulans that would help Spock with reunification....that story never really got off the ground as it was just a lead in to :TUC.
Just thinking here......I'll leave now.

Darth Sinister
12-02-2002, 12:38 PM
Excuse me, I meant Enterprise-D. Is there anyone here who preferred the Galaxy class to the new one?

Arrogant Arse
12-02-2002, 03:26 PM
In a REALLY wierd kind of way, I'd like to see the crew of the Enterprise-B, from the first 15 minutes of Generations, in a film. I always thought the Excelsior class of ships (of which the Enterprise-B was one) was the coolest, and I liked the red uniforms the best. Maybe I just like 2-4, and 6 the best, but those movies were my favorites.

JediTricks
12-03-2002, 12:42 AM
While I love the Galaxy-class starship, as a big-screen movie ship I can see why it wouldn't be as good. It doesn't have a dynamic shape, it's got all those non-Starfleet personel on it, and it's fairly bright inside. While there's far too little exploration of the Ent-E so far, I think the ship is almost as cool as the Ent-D and certainly makes for a better big-screen ship.

wedgeA
12-04-2002, 03:30 AM
The Enterprise E is an awesome ship and I think they should get more mileage out of it. I love that introductory shot in FC when the E-E turns toward the screen.

JT,

I thought that First Contact gave a pretty good exploration of the ship itself, the film was pretty much a bottle show. There was some pretty nice set pieces in Insurrection as well.

As for a new crew, I think it could fly if Berman and Braga were willing to take some chances. If not, then yes, stay with the characters we know and enjoy. I agree that the films have roots in the series, but I think a new crew could also succeed as it could take chances that an established crew could not. Characters could be killed unexpectedly, relationships could be developed beyond the limits established set in a show, and screen time could be more evenly distributed. The TNG films are basically Picard and Data shows guest starring Worf and Riker.

Get some decent actors to fill the roles and I love to see a movie with them, similar to the "New Frontier" books. Another option would be to have a new crew under Picard, with a few regulars, ie Crusher and Worf mixed in.

Eternal Padawan
12-04-2002, 08:07 PM
Could Alan Ruck carry a Star Trek movie? ;)

JON9000
12-04-2002, 11:39 PM
I like the old Constitution class starships, as represented in the films 1-6. They just seem to have a beauty and grace that TNG and beyond ships cannot match. What I really cannot stand are the glowing nacelles in the newer films. I just think it looks hokey. Yep, I'll take Enterprise A any day, and of course the Reliant. Khaaaaaaannnn!

JediTricks
12-05-2002, 12:29 AM
While I like the Sovereign-class Ent-E very much and FC is my favorite Next Gen movie, I don't think we got to know the ship enough. TNG gave us 7 years to see the various rooms and features of the ship, FC couldn't even agree with itself on how many decks the ship had. ;) We've never visited the shuttlebays, and barely seen the transporter rooms, sickbay, holodeck, etc.. Ent-D also had a TON of written materials about deck layouts and various rooms but like the Defiant, there's almost nothing on the Ent-E.

JON9000, while I agree with you on the looks of the original-movie-era ships being the best, I must point out that the insides of the warp nacelles glow on the Constitution-class and Miranda-class and most of the original-movie-era ships. Of course, those OME ships didn't have red glowing bussard collectors, so that's a different issue I guess. ;)

JON9000
12-05-2002, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks

JON9000, while I agree with you on the looks of the original-movie-era ships being the best, I must point out that the insides of the warp nacelles glow on the Constitution-class and Miranda-class and most of the original-movie-era ships. Of course, those OME ships didn't have red glowing bussard collectors, so that's a different issue I guess. ;)

On those original movie ships, it seems like in some films they would make them glow while in warp, and in other films they would not glow at all? I cannot remember Reliant or Saratoga having the glowing nacelles. I guess I am a little more forgiving when it comes to the old ships when it comes to nacelles because they only glowed when in warp. And you are right, the red tips are even worse.

I remeber the first time I saw a picture of the Enterprise D. I was very disappointed. Just looked weird to me. I hated the Enteprise C worst of all! I like the B and the new E class pretty well. I like the Enterprise on the new show pretty well too.

Old Fossil
12-06-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by JON9000
Yep, I'll take Enterprise A any day, and of course the Reliant. Khaaaaaaannnn!

I always liked the Reliant as seen in WoK, and have always wondered if any ST storylines had included a new Reliant.

I just liked the way the ship looked, bearing down on Kirk and the Enterprise. Reminds me of a vulture swooping in on a carcass.:Pirate:

Arrogant Arse
12-10-2002, 01:29 PM
Does anyone remember the battle scenes in the first few episodes of DS9's last season, when a boat load of Federation, Romulan, and Klingon ships were going into battle against the Dominion? There were some new, unique, and cool ships in those scenes.

One ofmy favorite ships is the Defiant, with Cloaking Device. It has the firepower of the Enterprise-D, in the size of about 2 runabouts, and can cloak. It's one Bad Mutha Ship!! (Shaft would fly it!)