PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel about some McQuarrie concept designs...

JEDIpartner
11-26-2002, 02:11 PM
How would you feel about some McQuarrie concept designs showing up in Episode III?

I think the prospect would be quite intriguing. After all, many of the ideas on the final designs used in the original trilogy were based off of his art, but they were still very different in style. Since this film would be bridging the two eras, it would almost make sense that there would still be elements of "high design" in the gadgets and technology while also scaling things back for practicality.

I, for one, would like to see parts of the McQuarrie Vader armour making an appearance on Mr. Christiansen during the final minutes of the film. Considering this was cobbled together in a rush (we assume) to save his life (we assume again) it woulddn't be the FINAL Vader armour we have come to know (and love).

We still might get a chance to see Alderaan. We might even get to see some prototype OT starfighters...

Any thoughts?

2-1B
11-26-2002, 02:14 PM
I like it. :)

I think I remember Jargo going on about how he'd love to see McQ's Alderaan work utilized. I'm inclined to agree - this could be the perfect film for it.

JEDIpartner
12-06-2002, 08:46 AM
I agree... it would definitely help us make the transition. He had some absolutely brilliant ideas that have yet to be used!

stillakid
12-06-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I, for one, would like to see parts of the McQuarrie Vader armour making an appearance on Mr. Christiansen during the final minutes of the film.

LUKE: Is...Darth Vader my father?

There is a long pause as Yoda turns away, drawing out the moment.

YODA: Rest I need. Yes, rest.

Another pause. The music lingers ominously in the background.

LUKE: Yoda, I have to know.

ANOTHER pause. The music swells dramatically, then stops suddenly as if a previously unknown secret was to be revealed...

YODA: Your father, he is.

With this, the only person in the theater who reels from Yoda's bombshell is Luke, as the secret was given away two episodes ago. But it's not over...

YODA: There...is...a...nother....Sky.....wal...kerrrrrr.

Again, the only person in the theater who is surprised by this very heartfelt and dramatic scene is Luke, as the audience learned this information two episodes ago when GL filmed Padme with the twins. Some people in the crowd leave to get some popcorn as Obi Wan continues the sequence, somehow managing to explain what we already saw in the Prequels yet contradicting what we saw in the Prequels all at the same time. Luke, not knowing the difference, continues oblivious to the chuckles coming from the adults and the whispers from the children asking their parents why Qui Gon found Anakin and not Obi Wan?

Sorry, I just HAD to get that out of my system. Back to the topic. YEAH! It would be cool to see some of the McQuarrie concepts put on screen. But just glancing through some of my books, it appears as though they already are using some of the original concept art in the Prequels. The ESB Sketchbook shows drawings of a pre-ATAT that looks very similar to those walkers at the end of AOTC. A lot of the Cloud City concepts have become Coruscant. And some of the aliens are now immortalized in CG. So aside from Vader:rolleyes: , there isn't a whole lot left that can be practically worked into the story.

Are there any specific suggestions? Can anyone upload the examples?