PDA

View Full Version : Norwalk Virus... is it a terrorist experiment?

JEDIpartner
11-26-2002, 05:06 PM
Just thinking... the FBI warns the next wave of terrorist strikes are reported to be targeting ocean going vessels. With the recent events of cruise ships harbouring the Norwalk virus (a fairly common and innocuous virus) and various communities having outbreaks of the virus... I've been wondering.

Could this be an experiment to see how effective using pleasure ships would be to spread a deadly virus in the coming year??

Just a thought... while I was in "Spooky" Mulder mode.

Jedi Master Silas
11-26-2002, 05:42 PM
Interesting thought. The way the world is going to hell I wouldnt be surprised.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-26-2002, 08:22 PM
The zipper don't work on my jacket . . . I think that's an act of terrorism by Kohl's and Osama bin Laden. :D

Jedi Drew
11-26-2002, 11:01 PM
Hey JP, you must be watching too much X-Files. JK :D :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-26-2002, 11:10 PM
the what virus? Norwalk? On cruiseliner ships? What do they make people spend rediculous amounts to sleep in the ocean? That's not really new!! :D

JEDIpartner
11-27-2002, 07:44 AM
Seriously... the large number of people who take cruises and then return home ill transmit the diseases to others in their family... then the family members to other people in the community...

why not? track the progress of Norwalk outbreaks and then do the same thing with smallpox or something else...

JEDIpartner
11-27-2002, 07:53 AM
also...

The FBI is saying that their line of thinking is... scuba divers will attach explosives to the hulls of the ships and those will detonate when the ship is back out at sea...

They are thinking explosives... my query and thought is more "bio-weapons" related. It's not THAT far fetched.

Jedi Drew
11-27-2002, 07:59 AM
Yea, but can't that happen if you go out to eat or shopping at the grocery store??? Maybe it is a "Mini Test" for these jerks. I don't know.:confused:

JEDIpartner
11-27-2002, 08:18 AM
well... you had approximately 200 passengers on each of the 5 ships contract the virus. That's roughly 1000 individuals. Because they are kept in such close quarters, the virus has a very easy way of spreading without too much interference.

Subsequently, when these people disembark and get on a plane to come home, everything they touch becomes infected... there you have an additional number of people who come into contact with the virus and possibly carry it to their respective destinations.

Remember how much of a problem the local school that closed had in making certain everything was disinfected? They had to scrub all the walls and even run various agents through duct work to prevent possible airborne contamination. The same thing happened on the ships...

Imagine if smallpox was released in the ductwork of an ocean vessel towards the tail end of its journey. No one would would really have immediate symptoms to identify it as smallpox, thus no quarrantine could be instated. The passengers disembark and think they have colds and sneeze and spread the virus unknowingly. Further contamination. By the time they arrive at home a number of people have been exposed and are then potential carriers.

It's frightening, really.

Exhaust Port
11-27-2002, 08:58 AM
Let's see, ships filled with Westerners travel to 3-world countries and then return with some sort of disease? Why is that a suprise? Heck, ship loads of Westerners traveling to almost any foreign country is bound to expose them to foreign virus' that their body can't handle. The shots your suppose to have just to travel to Africa is a list as long as your arm.

JEDIpartner
11-27-2002, 09:39 AM
well... the thing is... this sort of virus didn't cause such problems prior to these reports and the CDC has even looked at the various ports and there are no problems with people who have flown there and vacationed. It seems only to be happeneing to the sea-going passengers.

stillakid
11-27-2002, 10:09 AM
But if we stop taking luxurious cruises to tropical locations, they win. ;)

JEDIpartner
11-27-2002, 10:25 AM
absolutely... I'm just presenting a theory... not saying "THIS IS WHAT IS HAPPENING." I'm asking "possibilty?" and for people to consider its practicality and ease. My point is... that if a terrorist organisation were looking to plot something such as the scenario I threw out there... I could have catastrophic effects on our nation...

SCARY!

Mandalorian Candidat
11-27-2002, 12:57 PM
Wow, it's really weird that you should bring up the Norwalk virus, JP. First I'm from Norwalk, CA and never thought anything famous would ever come out of it (j/k). Second a buffet restaurant in Utah called Chuck-a-rama in two consecutive weeks was shut down due to a breakout of foodbourne Norwalk virus. Nothing worse than the runs/pukes but still annoying at the least.

The Overlord Returns
11-27-2002, 01:09 PM
Could a joint called chuck - a - rama really be suprised by an increase in the runs and the pukes?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-27-2002, 01:17 PM
lol There's a restaurant in town (Troy, OH) called "Crazy H's!" Who in the hizell is "H" and why he's "Crazy" i don't know nor do i want to know. :D

JEDIpartner
11-27-2002, 01:59 PM
Well... at least it's not in NORWALK, OHIO!!! :p

still... you gotta wonder why this Norwalk virus is just EVERYWHERE all of a sudden.

Jargo
11-27-2002, 03:27 PM
What exactly is this virus? what are the symptoms and such? Cruise ships aren't exactly the cleanest of places are they. Buffet type food carries so many viruses it's disgusting and with so many people handling the same serving implements breathing all over each other and all the food in huge dining areas I'm suprised more people don't die from strange diseases. I'm surprised more people don't die from the groanworthy entertainment actually. We have a programme on TV over here caled Watchdog that regularly has reports dealing with disatisfied holidaymakers who went on cruises to find the air conditioning pumping noxious gases from the boiler room into the cabins or the toiulets back filling into the corridors and various other unsavoury horrors for a holidaymaker. I think the solution is that all people travelling on exotic holidays should be forced to undergo a quarantine like they made dogs go through. Forced vaccinations and then make everyone go around in isolation suits with breathing aparatus so you don't get intercontinental viruses travelling with a holidaymaker from country to country. So it might not be glamorous but let's not forget that it was the common cold that killed off ninety percent of the Amazonian rainforest tribespeople. taken there by explorers who are just glorified holidaymakers taking in the sights and stealing artifacts.......

JEDIpartner
11-30-2002, 09:58 AM
It's actually a stomach virus that is passed on from person to person. A whole school was closed down here in our area because so many children were vomiting and such all on the same day...

Many communities around the country are reporting similar occurances. The ships (5 total now, I think) have actually been closed down and every surface and duct had to be disinfected and subsequent cruises have been cancelled.

Jargo
12-03-2002, 02:32 PM
Is this like Legionaires disease or something? Hospitals are always getting that and restaurants. Two places that you'd expect to be the most stringent about cleanliness and they both get real nasty bugs breeding in them. I reckon we put too much store in cleanliness, washing away all the bacterias is killing us, we become more susceptible to all the ones we used to carry naturally. I'm not saying we should all be dirty but all this advertising telling us to bleach and blitz those bugs makes us so weak when faced with a minor stomach bug. Or it would be minor if we left some dirt in our diets. Like buying ready washed potatos and pre-packed veggies, people who eat those are no longer immune to bacteria found in soil. Give them real veggies freshly dug up and they end up heaving their dinner. I go for farm fresh unwashed stuff and so keep a little of that natural bacteria down below in the intestinal tract and I'm fine. Never have stomach problems with food.
The other one is over washing clothing and over showering which kills off natural bacteria on the skin. Again, I go for low detergent low bleach washing solutions and stay healthy.
People who live in homes with central heating and air con are more likely to be unhealthy. More susceptible to airborne bugs. Can't remember the facts on that but i know there's been countless studies that proved it without shadow of a doubt, something about keeping the room at a certain temperature allows all the nasties to breed more rapidly. I choose to have my windows open and lewt the real air in and for heating I either put on more clothes or i light the real gas flame fire and sit by it. So the house doesn't have a constant temp but that's good because the germs don't breed here.
You're also looking at people going on holiday/vacation who are used to city living and suddenly find themselves in backwater places without al the refined air and the mod cons they live with. No wonder they get ill. It takes time to acclimatise to a new country and the water and all of that and these cruise ships stop at a port for what - two days? WOO big surprise that people don't feel well, just start to acclimatise and then they get whisked away to a new location where the water is funny again and the body needs to adjust and then y'know what? WOO whisked away again.

Cruises are just the dumbest idea for a holiday/vacation.

This rant has been brought to you by the letter G and the number 12......... :rolleyes:

plasticfetish
12-05-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
First I'm from Norwalk, CA and never thought anything famous would ever come out of it (j/k).

Wait ... I live very close to Norwalk, CA right now ... and I've had a weird cold/cough for weeks ...

... I'm sure it has nothing to do with my son having started kindergarten or that it's flu and cold season or that I live in Southern California (one of the dirtiest dustiest places in the world) or that I and everyone I know am/are under pathetic amounts of stress (be it conscious or not) because of the economy, the impending "war" and the freaky Spielberg alien thing that SciFi channel is playing (it's been quite good really.)

But ... honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised if you had it right.

scruffziller
12-05-2002, 02:14 PM
I live near a town named Norwalk.

plasticfetish
12-05-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
I live near a town named Norwalk.

Hey! That's right .. yes you do. Be very carefull.

scruffziller
12-05-2002, 02:34 PM
Yea those people think they live in West Des Moines. Silly burbs......perks are for tax payers.......:rolleyes:................:D

InsaneJediGirl
01-10-2003, 09:23 AM
I can see it used for terrorist purposes,but it really isnt as effective as Ebola or Smallpox.An old folks home in Brevard(FL) recently came down with Norwalk,probably from relatives visting and going on a cruise or food related.

You know what I wonder though?Gov. Jeb Bush went on a cruise over the holidays( :rolleyes: )but didnt get the Norwalk virus,while some ships have had people with it.Were extra steps taken in cleaning the ship properly and thats why no one on the Disney liner got sick?Might come down to just
dirty conditions:crazed:

CloneTrooperMace
01-10-2003, 05:45 PM
"Sorry I can say this word other wise I will get banned again"
All the old folk go on a cruise and they bring back the norwalk.

-Joey
AKA me