PDA

View Full Version : Opening Figures

Masterjedi73
11-26-2002, 06:50 PM
Hey guys. I just went through a whole bunch of my figures and decided to give them to my son for christmas.....I looked a lot of them up first in some price guides to see their value, but I think those guides are over rated. None of the figures I had were going for more than a few dollars on ebay. Actually, the price guide listed the Silver R2 at $70.00. That was a little crazy, I thought.

What are your opinions on opening and value?

Beast
11-26-2002, 07:09 PM
Hmm, they listed the Silver R2-D2 at $70.00? Let me guess, this was Toyfare? Toyfare has a horrible price guide. If you really want a decent price guide, go with Action Figure News & Toy Review. :)

Your decision to give them to your son, and let him open and enjoy them was the right one, IMHO. They are toys, and should be treated as such. Not trapped in a plastic prision, hoping for a day that they wull be worth somthing. :)

I can't imagine keeping figures in the package when I was a kid collecting the vintage line. And the vintage line will truely be the only figures that actually have a decent after market value. And thats only because fewer people collected them carded. :)

Right now there are tons of people saving sets for future cash, or collecting a set loose and set carded. So they arn't going to be worth much of anything. Free those toys from their plastic prisions, thats the best decisions. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

fourtwo
11-28-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
They are toys, and should be treated as such. Not trapped in a plastic prision, hoping for a day that they wull be worth somthing. :)

couldn't agree with you more. carded collecting makes little sense to me.

Jedi Master Silas
11-29-2002, 06:51 PM
IMO I'd open them up. Wouldnt it be more fun to be able to spend some quality time with your son playing with the figures then leave them in their cardboard prisons???? We open some and leave some sealed but we buy plenty for my step son to open. We turn the family room in to a SW playroom for the whole family :)

DasGoot
12-09-2002, 10:58 AM
Jar Jar,

(I posted a response to this on another thread, I hope you don't mind if I rephrase it.)
Yeah, you're right, $70 was too much, but that was 3-4 months ago when they when there was a large group of Ebay and online sales where they were going for $185 to $200 each. If it was just one or two (like the Xmas R2 and C-3P0) I wouldn't have put it in, but there were a lot of them. I've been dropping it down every month since as more come out and the ebay sales decline, but yeah, I did have it pretty high intially. I've got him at $15 in the next one coming out. And yeah, a similar thing happened with the Iron Cross He-Mans.

In order to avoid these types of inaccuracies, I won't be listing new stuff like that again. If a new item comes out that's priced very high, I'll simply be listing them like this: "In the weeks before we closed, the silver R2 was selling for between $185 and $200 online. We will give you more accurate pricing as sales stabilize." If anyone has any suggestions for the guide, let me know.

Jon Gutierrez
Price Guide Editor
ToyFare Magazine

stillakid
12-09-2002, 01:55 PM
Wow! That was really great! It's nice to see that others pay attention to what's said here. WIth the "no-response" policy from Hasbro, it's easy to start thinking that we're in a vaccuum.

Jerjerrod
12-11-2002, 11:28 PM
DasGoot, I also look forward to your new, "more accurate" pricing for figures.

As for the topic of opening or not opening, sorry... I'm the "other" guy. I love the way they look in their packaging. As a Star Wars fan, I define myself by buying only Star Wars action figures. It is my appreciation for the sculpt work that's put into each one, not its potential "value". When you put all of them side by side, and have a whole wall filled up, all you see is the big "Star Wars" logo being repeated over and over again. That's amazing! And when you go up close, and see the detail in each figure, the satisfaction is truly overwhelming just looking at them.

We all know that these figures are in our house to stay, and not to be sold for profit 10 years later. So opening and not opening doesn't make a difference, right? Every collector has their own reason for collecting them. Mine just happens to be to treat them like a wonderful work of art.

I'm sure there are fathers here who do appreciate opening them to share and play with their kids, and I also think that it's a great thing. But leaving them carded isn't so bad either. Trust me, lining them up on your wall looks so cool. Also, if I displayed them out of their packages, I would lose all their accessories, and they would collect so must dust over time until eventually, the detail will be covered (Plus, I don't have time to clean them regularly).

In the future, if I have a big enough place to display them in a diorama, or scene, I will do it, but I will also protect them from dust by making a huge clear dome or encasement. Then, people can walk around and look how cool and realistic they are inside the scene. Yes, I know I'm not treating them like toys, but I do consider them sculptures or mini-statues.

IMO, just collect them for your OWN reason. If it makes you happy, then you know you're right on track.

Jerjerrod

Old Fossil
12-21-2002, 03:41 AM
Well said, Jerjerrod. (I do a little of both, more opening than keeping on the card, but I can appreciate a wall of MOC figures.) I don't think I've ever seen the MOC Collector's Mantra worded so thoughtfully.

Banthaholic
12-21-2002, 10:39 AM
I'm also with you Jerjerrod . For whatever reason, I also like the way they apprear all lines up. I am also a vintage collector, so just seeing a Jorg Sacul next to the Imperial Dignitary looks cool to me.
I respect all types of collectors. It's not how you collect it but what you collect, and I believe here it's Star Wars.

JediDBM
01-07-2003, 11:51 AM
Everybody, especially my wife gets so angry with me when I open new figures, but I cant display them in various dioramas if they are still "prisoned" in plastic as JarJarBinks so elegantly put it. I will someday pass on what I have to my children, and all three of them argue over who gets what when Im gone. Only stipulation I gave them, was that they could not EVER sell what I gave them. I have not held onto and expanded my collection since 1977 just for my stuff to be pawned off a little at a time on ebay.

Lewis
01-26-2003, 04:29 AM
I had a spare POTF Tusken Raider and decided to open it but only to find the right hand was closed :(

ACPin
01-29-2003, 10:08 PM
To open or not to open? Hmmm...

:confused:

What would have happened if I didn't open them?

:rolleyes:

No dioramas!

:eek: :crazed: :dead:

Seriously, that would've been bad. :(

bobafrett
01-30-2003, 01:24 AM
I prefer to keep my SW figures in the package. This is because I own over 400 Star Wars figures. Having to keep track of who's weapons or extra parts or such, go with whom, well it gets to be a little much. I do open the extra figures, doubles, or sale figures, with dented packages. I've already lost a few weapons to a figure taking a fall from where he's displayed, only to never find it again. I also open the figures that I buy doubles of no matter what price I pay, because I like that particular figure.

I don't keep them packaged because I think they'll be worth more someday. I have no intention of ever selling my collection, and at one time, I even thought about having the entire collection buried with me when I pass on. I however, came to my senses, and decided it should be passed on to my son, who said "Cha-Ching". I think that means he's planning on selling it.

Lewis
02-01-2003, 04:16 AM
LOL...The figure i opened was a Euro packaged one, i hate these,having the French and other Foreign muck all over them!!YUCK!! I now have the US packaged Tusken on display, a lot nicer to the eye :p

Kidhuman
02-04-2003, 08:41 PM
I leave them closed. I do not have room to set up dioramas of them. I have all my vintage opened and they have play with damage on them. I also have 2 kids that would ransack the dioramas. I think they look much nicer on a wall and easier to look at. I only need one of each(as compared to dioramas of different scenes.)I actually have run out of room on the wall to put them right now. I guess it is time to move to a bigger house.