PDA

View Full Version : Rented Me Some Bounty Hunter!!!

yukface27
11-28-2002, 05:12 PM
For once Blockbuster has it's act together and is getting some good games. So, I strolled in there last night, and Bounty Hunter was sitting on their shelves. I nabbed me one and off home I went. I'm about two hours into it or so and it's pretty good. Jango's moves are pretty slick. Whether it be his tumbling roll, flips in mid-air, or double-gunning with his blasters, it's all smooth. The game has a pretty good story as opposed to previous Star Wars releases. Jango's arsenal ain't too bad either. You normally start off with his pistols, some posion darts, jetpack, scanner (which is VERY cool), flamthrower and his cable. Later on you can pick up grenades, numerous guns, and the ability to launch rockets out of his jetpack. The sound effects and score to the game are above-par also. My only complaint so far, is that some levels are very redundant sometimes, and that the constant blasting can get boring too. The game does get quite difficult. There's a good amount of bonuses too. Either collecting the bonus icons, beating levels, beating chapters, or bringing in bonus bounties will add new bonuses (which can be a comic, TCG cards, concept art, or outtakes) to the section on the main screen. So far, I cannot say if this game is a definite buy for a gamer (Star Wars fans will definally wanna own it), but it is an absolute rental. Happy turkey day!

QLD
11-30-2002, 02:38 PM
I wasn't that interested in this game at first, but after seeing the commercial for it.....I might consider it.

Rogue II
11-30-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I wasn't that interested in this game at first, but after seeing the commercial for it.....I might consider it.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I'll wait until this spring to get it used.

The 'Xir
12-02-2002, 08:18 PM
Actually the game is really cool!!! and It can get really hard the deeper you get into it! The only real complaint I have is that you can't permanetly save your progress until you get to the end of each level! Otherwise your progress is saved at certain points on a level but say your close to completing a level and you use up your 5 chances and die before the level is complete. You have to start ALL THE WAY back at the begining of each level which really sucks on some of the harder ones!
I'm actually stuck on one now(the prison planet), I get all the way down to the bowels of the prison, and I think I've found the dude I have to rescue or release, and I can't find a way into his room! their are 4 grates leading into his room, but they are different then most grates and you can't use the blowtorch/flamethrower on them to cut in! Anyone get this far and know how to break in?:confused:

yukface27
12-03-2002, 02:26 AM
Well 'Xir, if I remember correctly, all you have to do is find the particular vent that leads to the bounty's cell, and it should cut to a cinematic.
Now that I've played deeper into Bounty Hunter (I still have yet to beat it), I would not recommend it for purchase by a gamer, at least not yet. For any Star Wars fan, they should PROBABLY pick it up. The game physics are pretty nice, but the gameplay just gets too repetitive. "Hey, this guys got the info you need, go find him. Oh wait, he's being protected my an army of armed guards, you better kill them. Well, he had some info, but not the EXACT info you needed. He knows a guy though..." See, it just gets kind of dumb after a while. I say anyone (Star Wars enthusiasts included) that have any urge to pick up Bounty Hunter, should wait for the price tag to drop or at least for a used copy of it, which I assume won't be too hard to find in a little while. Keep it sleazy guys!

Darth Evil
12-08-2002, 02:43 PM
Is Clancy Brown's Montross cool? I waiting for the GC version.

Jedi Master Silas
12-08-2002, 05:11 PM
Is it worth buying for 50 bucks????

yukface27
12-08-2002, 10:02 PM
Montross... If that's the guy that is competing for the bounty with Jango and also wears Mandalorian armor, then the answer is... Kinda. He has a cool look, a typical gravelly "bad-guy voice," and is pretty cruel. His boss fights (well the two I encountered) were ridiculously easy. So, I would give him a 6 and 1/2 on the coolness scale.
Now about the $50 dollar price-tag. My answer would be "No!" From what I've played in the game, it has a handful of great moments, and fun sections. Is that handful worth $50? No. Have patience and what for a cheaper copy of it or just rent.

Jedi Master Silas
12-09-2002, 06:02 PM
Cool.....I hate dishing out 50 bucks for a new game unless its REALLY worth it.

jjreason
12-16-2002, 04:20 AM
I almost bought it yesterday, my store had the price marked as 29.99 (CDN no less, thats 20 bucks US!!!!!). I got it out, then it scanned for 74.99 at the check out. Well I wasn't paying that much, but they wouldn't give it to me for the 29.99 because it wasn't "clearly marked as the price for THIS game." So close....

James Boba Fettfield
01-14-2003, 01:55 AM
I'm working on trying to get all of the bounties in the game right now. After that is done, there's not much more replay value to the game. The game would frustrate me in some parts, but then I remembered the trusting flame thrower, and I felt so much better. As for the repetitive game play, yeah it is repetitive. It is basically shoot and dodge. Very linear game play too, so there's hardly any exploration. I didn't feel cheated by the cost of the game, though I did use a target gift card to know $20 off of the price. If you enjoy pressing the same button repeatedly and dodging shots, you'll love it. If you want some puzzles and deep thinking, stay away. This is one of those games that bases success on how fast you can press a single button repeatedly.

Fulit
01-14-2003, 11:07 AM
Did anyone check out the "outtakes" where Jango is doing the butt-shaking dance for Gardulla? Hilarious.

James Boba Fettfield
01-14-2003, 05:34 PM
I liked the out takes at first, but as I got more and more of them, I began to not enjoy them, since a lot of them involved Montross acting like an idiot.