PDA

View Full Version : The Films of John Carpenter

wedgeA
11-29-2002, 02:53 AM
I figured on starting a discussion thread about one of the best horror directors, John Carpenter. Please list your favorites, the ones you don't like, or any other observation.

My personal favorites:

1) Halloween- still one of the best horror films I've ever seen. The image of Michael Myers is one of the most creepy in films, due to the minimalist look. Disregard the sequels though, while some are good, none come close to the original.

2) In the Mouth of Madness- Carpenter's last great film, that films reaches the cusp of brilliance. It probably has the best cast of any Carpenter film. Check out the paper boy after Sam Neil wakes up on the highway, it is none other than Hayden Christiansen. This needs a new special edition DVD.

3) Big Trouble in Little China- One of the most fun to watch films, Kurt Russell sets a new bar for coolness here.

4) The Thing- Gave me nightmares when I was a kid. Some of the creepiest music in a film. Again, this needs a new special edition DVD release, and include the alternate TV and theatrical endings!

As for the negative, why does everyone seem to like They Live? I never got into it, it felt like it borrowed from a lot of his other films but did not capture the same magic.

Eternal Padawan
11-29-2002, 07:11 AM
Didn't They Live have that silly half hour long fight over putting on sunglasses? That movie is so bad, it's good!

I haven't seen the Thing in forever but I remember it scaring the beejeezus out of me when I was little.

Jedi Master Silas
11-29-2002, 01:28 PM
I've always been somewhat of a JC fan. My favorites would have to be:

Halloween

Big trouble in little China...which I've been a billion times.

In the Mouth of Madness

Ghost of Mars...I liked this movie although I know alot of people who didnt like it.

Christine

I also liked Escape from NY but I hated Escape from LA. I thought it was a horriable waste of time and money.

odb
11-29-2002, 02:39 PM
Escape from New York and The Thing are his best film without a doubt.

Escape from New York gave us Snake Plisklin as one of the best anti heros ever.

The Thing is definelty one of the scariest films I've ever seen and far better than the original. It also has one of the best ending lines ever.

Both star Kurt Russell as well, how strange......:confused:

JON9000
12-01-2002, 12:53 AM
I really like Big Trouble in Little China. Listening to the commentary is really not so great except fo rone telling part. After previews Carpenter was sure he had a huge hit, but Fox really dropped the ball in marketing the film.

Also, it was interesting to hear how the suits could not grasp the idea of the hero being sort of a buffoon. Oh well, I love it

Jayspawn
12-01-2002, 03:13 PM
The Halloween films are my favorite. They kind of rule over all his others for me.

MICHAEL!!!!

jpak001
12-14-2002, 04:51 PM
Definietly the Thing! One of my all time fav's. I still pull this one out and watch it from time to time.

SW_Loyalist
12-22-2002, 02:17 AM
I saw The Thing on DVD and coulda swore it was some kinda special edition. I guess not.

Hm.

JangoFart
12-22-2002, 04:37 AM
I think Carpenter has drained his talent on his great flicks - "Christine", "The Thing", and "Big Trouble in Little China." "They Live" was a joy, but not the level of those three. The good ones were really good and the bad ones are really bad.

I can't tell you the like time I've been excited when hearing the words "New from John Carpenter." He's in the same club as Wes Craven - it's members have been to the top and came crashing down. Maybe they need to be more particular in what they make, as I can't recall the last movie from either that wasn't just terrible.

Reminds me also of Eddie Murphy's career. He is, without a doubt, one of the funniest people who have ever lived. But his ability to make a good choice in roles has been surgically removed; or something.

J

sith_killer_99
12-22-2002, 10:51 AM
Hahaha, yeah it's kinda funny JC seems to have had a lot of hits with Kurt on screen (Escape from NY, Escape from LA, Big Trouble in Little China and The Thing)

Also at the top of my list (besides those just mentioned):

Halloween
Christine
Ghosts of Mars

Jedibill
12-23-2002, 01:42 AM
Is it just me or does all of his movies have the same music track?