PDA

View Full Version : Transformers RID

Jedi Clint
08-17-2001, 03:33 PM
I purchased a few of the new Transformers (vehicles only). I also opened a couple, one being "Prowl". I chose Prowl out of the 3 "advanced" vehicles because I thought he had the best chance of having 2 normal arms. I couldn't tell from looking at the outside of the package or trying to peek in at the underneath of the vehicle. One arm ended up having the upper portion of the rear end attached as a shield and I can live with that. I am actually somewhat impressed by the toy. In robot form it stands on it's own despite it's appearance. I also opened a couple of the mini-cars. They look a little silly in robot mode, but not too bad. I kind of dig how they are very similar to hotwheels in car mode.

I have the imported red version of the corvette. I broke the tape seal and checked it out.......wasn't too impressed and put it away again. In robot mode he had a roof sticking out here, a bumper there, etc.

Have you opened any of the new Transformers? What did you think?

Eternal Padawan
08-17-2001, 04:40 PM
When Optimus Prime is rightfully restored to his own body after slumming in Inferno's , I might pick up a couple...

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 12:17 AM
The thread from the old forums: Transformers: Robots In Disguise (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=7&PID=5420)

----------------------

It's a viper, not a corvette. There's no corvette in this RID line. I have all 3 car brothers in SUPER colors from Japan, I thought they were awesome there, my favorite being Wildride. The US ones are almost as cool, except I'm not thrilled with the painted autobot logo when there's a molded one already on the bot. Speedbreaker (aka Side Burn in the US) has the most clutter, though not all of it is kibble, and is the most difficult to transform. None of them suck IMO, they're all worth buying.

As for Prowl's shield on his forearm, that IS a really weird design thing, since it would have been cheaper AND easier to not put the pin in there making the sucker removable, like Speedbreaker's shield.

The mini cars are not worth buying if you like articulation or transformation or even cool robots, they're basically $3 a piece Hot Wheels cars that can become little robots, which is cool in it's own right.

Jedi Clint
08-18-2001, 12:28 AM
Doh!

I have been obsessing over the G1 Corvette "Tracks" lately. Perhaps that is why I goofed on the make of Speedbreaker.

Wildride looked ok.

I agree with you 100% on Prowl's shield. I thought the same exact thing when I opened him. I have even considered removing the pin, as long as I could eventually return it to it's original location.

Darth Cruel
08-18-2001, 03:39 AM
I had a chance to pick up the BIG Electronic Optimus Primal from a truck stop of all places. But when I went in to get them they had gone on sale for 25.00 (down from 50) and were sold first thing the morning they went down. Now I can't find him anywhere. No matter. The way I am restricted from spending money on my collection, it all has to go to Star Wars.

QLD
08-18-2001, 06:09 PM
We got the new Transformers at work, and I still think 3" G.I. Joes are better.

JediTricks
08-19-2001, 11:12 AM
I saw an ad for the new RID cartoon on Fox this fall, it looked ok, but I felt it kinda seemed a bit like Digimon which I don't enjoy in the slightest. I really miss the CGI work from Beast Wars. :(

QLD
08-20-2001, 11:02 AM
Beast Wars is the worst thing I have seen since Hammer Man. I liked the original cartoon though, it always came on before school, for me anyway.

Jedi Clint
08-20-2001, 06:57 PM
http://transfandom.com/RID/special_stuff.shtml

There are 3 commercials at this location.

bigbarada
08-20-2001, 07:17 PM
Whoa!

That's really cool!
I actually had high hopes for the return of this series, and the cartoon looks to have the same feel as the original. I like the bright cheerful atmosphere. No more dreary, depressing CG.
:D

Eternal Padawan
08-21-2001, 02:29 AM
What's up with Rhino only putting 3 episodes on a DVD??! With that low brow animation, they could easily compress about 10 episodes onto a DVD if not more. I'm not buying a Transformers DVD with only 3 episodes on it.

QLD
08-21-2001, 08:47 AM
No kidding EP! I am getting tired of companies only putting 2 half hour episodes of a show on one tape or DVD, when we are accustomed to 2 or 3 hours. It just ain't right!

Jedi Clint
08-21-2001, 03:51 PM
They must be REALLY high quality!! :rolleyes: They do the same thing with South Park episodes.

JediTricks
08-22-2001, 09:19 AM
I've been kinda badmouthing the mini-car 2packs after I bought one for $6, but after about a week, I realized that they had their place. Being very basic, there's not much to them in the way of transformation (it's identical for all 6), they have a mono-leg, and their weapons don't store anywhere when the bot goes to car mode (except for Ironhide, who's gun fits in the truck's bed), but when Target had them for a buck less than TRU right after I had been thinking about getting another set, I went ahead and bought them and found that they're cool in a strange way, or to be more precise, 3 of the 6 are cool, 1 is pretty ok, and 2 kinda stink. Surprise surprise, the 3 that are cool are all packed with the 3 that ain't, but what's strange is that the cool ones all have the same style of wheels (silver 3-spokes) while the others have a different wheel design.

Anyway, they're cute, they're Hot Wheels scale, some have cool weapons, and they have a simplistic transformation that makes a fun little bot, definitely worth $2.50 each car IMO.

bigbarada
08-22-2001, 09:32 AM
Yeah, the mini-cars are probably intended for kids without a lot of money. Plus you get two for the price of one action figure.

JediTricks, how about this for your sig line: "General Kenobi, years ago you severed my father in the Attack of the Clones."

Ha! Look, I made a funny!:D

Jedi Clint
08-22-2001, 02:43 PM
Right on JT! I got one extra of the Crosswise set to open. They are fun to mess around with.

JediTricks
08-23-2001, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
JediTricks, how about this for your sig line: "General Kenobi, years ago you severed my father in the Attack of the Clones."What's sad is I had to reread your's several times before I saw the difference.:o

2 transforming toys for $5, I think that's a reasonable guess Barada, and I kinda wish I had given them more of a chance when they first were released.

Clint, that's the first set I got, the clear Crosswise really looks so cool that I couldn't avoid this one, even though I had not been interested in 'em. Question: on your WARS car, does the hood line up right with the windshield? Mine doesn't, the windshield is noticably above the hood piece and I was wondering if it was a design flaw (like doors and hood on Prowl/Mach Alert) or just a flaw on mine.

Jedi Clint
08-23-2001, 02:37 PM
Mine is the same way. It must be a design flaw. I was not aware of a defect in Prowl's hood/doors. I did notice that you have to work the front end a little to keep it from pressing down on the front tires, and I could see how that could be because of the hood and doors being a bit too large.

Crosswise was the one that caught my eye initially as well. Now I have a question for you. What do you have against Mirage :)? I have the benefit of being able to fiddle with that set out of package (a friend opened his), and he seemed pretty cool to me. If Crosswise wasn't soo attractive, I would have opened that set. Mirage seems to be the only charater that survived from the original line of car bots not only in name but in likeness (somewhat) as well. Just curious.

*P.S. I guess Prowl survived in likeness (somewhat) also.

JediTricks
08-24-2001, 07:50 AM
That's what I figured, total design error on WARS.

Actually, the hood and doors aren't the problem, and are the right size for a Lamborghini Diablo, it's the windshield that sticks out too far, put it together with the windshield piece left out of the equation and it's nearly perfect. I've considered shaving the front of the windshield down about 2 millimeters, but the odd shape of the windshield makes me nervous.

As for the mini-car Mirage, this is my comment from before "3 of the 6 are cool, 1 is pretty ok, and 2 kinda stink", Mirage is OK, but he stays away from the "cool" section because when you put his chest into place, it pushes the wheels up out of position and bending the axle. Eventually, this will ruin the car, anybody with an open-wheeled Hot Wheels car and a battery-power speed track will know what I'm talking about. Plus, the gold chrome on the wheels are U.G.L.Y. ;)

Speaking of vehicles that crossed over in look from the originals... I FOUND ULTRA MAGNUS!!!

Dude, Ultra Magnus is really great. Where Optimus has problems (vehicle mode), Ultra Magnus shines brightly, holding all 3 car brothers. Of course, where Optimus rules - regular robot mode - Magnus kinda stinks, but then again, Magnus' robot mode is the most like a G1 Transformer, it's gappy, it's a bit sloppy, and it's legs aren't that great. ;) I think Takara cheaped out on the legs, they could have EASILY made these 4 inches shorter and 3 times as cool, as well as giving UM a much more proportioned body.

I wonder if there are going to be any complaints about some of Ultra Magnus' wheels saying "God Magnus" on the side (the Japanese name of UM here)...

My second-favorite thing about UM is the way different modes set off different sounds, it's really really neat how the blue bolt sets off different sounds.

My favorite thing about Magnus is the fact that, unlike new Optimus Prime who has no vehicle mode without his trailer, Magnus has an undocumented jet-truck mode that leaves part of the trailer behind! Flip up the upper ramps, separate the trailer, dump the blue bolts, and you have a complete vehicle with huge jet engines and side-firing missile pods!

What's weird about the combined Omega Prime is that it ONLY uses the regular Optimus Prime, ditching the fire-base pieces. But luckily, www.bwtf.com has a way to plug all that crap onto Omega Prime to give even MORE armor to this monsterous Transformer!

JediTricks
08-24-2001, 08:16 AM
www.bwtf.com , the site I just mentioned, is saying that we'll be seeing a G2 Indy car and G2 tow truck each in 2-packs with... are you ready? G2 Jets! Actual Decepticons, or at least they were, I don't know if they'll get a new title when they get released. How awesome is that?!?

bigbarada
08-24-2001, 10:39 AM
I'm glad you reviewed the Ultra Magnus toy, JediTricks, because I wasn't planning on buying him based solely off his robot mode looking like he had an eternal wedgie. The only problem I had with Optimus was that the main robot didn't transform into a stand alone truck, that and he keeps falling apart in vehicle mode. Based on what you said, I think I'll go ahead and pick up Ultra Magnus, there's been two just sitting in the PX toy aisle for weeks now! Somebody needs to give them a home.

Jedi Clint
08-24-2001, 03:50 PM
JETS!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent. I am very tempted to get the reissue Star Scream, but it may be worth waiting for the new line of jets.

I want to discuss a few of my other recently acquired "Transformers". If I do not go into enough detail, please inquire at will.

First up. An open set of reissue constructicons. They are very cheaply made, but I scored them for 10 bucks. They have no metal parts (aside from screws). I am afraid of breaking them just by transforming them. In fact there is a small peg that broke off of Devastator's pelvic piece when I tried to assemble him. These are shelf fodder :(.

I have a rip-off Jetfire (imported I think) that I got for 13 bucks in package (on a card). It looks as though much of the robot (if not all) is made of plastic. The color scheme is different, but he comes with a replica of the original Jetfire's gun. It doesn't appear to be a quality toy, but for 13 bucks I am not too worried about that.

Found in the shed I am converting to a workshop:

Runamuck - He is similar to the Jumpstarters but has a Decepticon rub symbol. There were 2 of this type of Transformers produced for the original line. A black one and a white one (same body style). I can't remember what this type of Transformer was called, and I am too lazy to check right now. This toy still functioned properly.

Green Stegosaurus Decepticon Cassette - Can't remember his name right off hand. His rub symbol doesn't work anymore (Runamuck's does).

Huffer - This one is missing his smoke stacks.......poor thing.

Jedi Clint
08-24-2001, 04:38 PM
And thanks for sharing your review of Ultra Magnus JT.

It's really too bad about that Mirage.......I didn't mess with it enough to notice that it was doomed to warped axel syndrome :(.

Jedi Clint
08-24-2001, 05:08 PM
Some time ago I aquired a couple of the Japanese import Transformers. One was the red Viper (Speedbreaker), and the other was a black semi (Black Convoy). I have mentioned previously what I thought of Speedbreaker, but I have yet to comment on Convoy.......here goes:

Black Convoy: I did not mess with the trailer, as I placed this toy back in it's packaging, but the tractor section is worth the outrageous price I paid. It is a long nosed tractor, unlike Optimus Prime. The nose becomes the shoulder section of the robot. The arms have a decent range of motion. The legs make this toy. It's hips allow the legs to swivel out to the side and in an arc from nearly sitting to standing. The knees bend. It has an Optimus Prime look to it. It comes with a translucent red sword.

If you have any questions about the toys I spoke of, please ask.

The 'Xir
08-24-2001, 06:51 PM
Well, I'm always hard pressed to find any new released toys at my local TRU, especially SW stuff, but I also finally found both ULTRA MAGNUS, and OPTIMUS PRIME! I had been on the lookout for about 2 months now!
I'm with JT, I liked the look of the CG BeastWars, let's just say it was well done.
Can't wait for the show, and those JETS!!! When's the release date again for those 2-packs?

Jedi Clint
08-24-2001, 07:00 PM
I couldn't find the info you were talking about at that link Tricks.

Congratulations 'Xir!
How much does Optimus Prime retail for?

The 'Xir
08-24-2001, 08:27 PM
Oh brother, don't remind me JC! there's only a few things I'll pay full retail for:SW, and Transformers, and after 2+ months of searching, I didn't mind paying the $31.99 retail price each for both OP & UM. :eek: That 7% sales tax doesn't help either!!!

The 'Xir
08-24-2001, 08:33 PM
Although it helps when you can pick up an EpI: Invasion Force - Gungan Assualt Cannon w/Jar Jar Binks for $1.97

JediTricks
08-25-2001, 09:49 AM
Barada, you are quite welcome. :) Let us know what you think of this bad muthah when you get a chance.

Clint, the upcoming jets along with Hoist & Indy Heat, as well as Black Convoy, are all G2 figures from the early '90s. I got one of those Machine Wars jets, a HUGE stealth bomber, I've got it around here somewhere. It's weird how much G2 is being reused, the minicars, the jets and hoist and mirage, even Black Convoy was originally Laser Optimus Prime. (Which reminds me, the other 2 Laser toys, the 2 Laser cycles, would be great if rereleased, especially with their light gimmicks.)

Was the knock-off Jetfire supposed to be a Jetfire or a Macross Valkyrie? They're identical in design, but I know there's a company out there stealing the original TF packaging for their cards.

Yeah, that thing about Mirage is absolutely tragic, especially since if he had a wider front axle by less than half a centimeter, it wouldn't be an issue! Come to think of it, you could just unscrew his front end and replace it with the axle from Hot Rod (IMO the worst of the lot).

I think of Super Speedbreaker as "Hot Rod" really, since he matches the G1 character's paint job, even having an engine block sticking out (poor Speedbreaker, his engine block is WAY tiny compared to a real Viper ;)).

Xir, the jets don't have a confirmed date, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see them by Xmas. I'm hoping they're gonna use the Deluxe ones and not the Basic ones though, the basics are ok, but too small IMO.

Clint, here's a direct link to that page for Omega Prime: http://www.bwtf.com/tfcr/toys/reviews/gfc/ it's a review of the Car Robots version, but it's the same exact stuff.

BTW, I didn't know about this when I first wrote the below, but in Omega Prime, he makes noises, but not just all his noises at once like Optimus, noooo! Instead, he says "Ultra Magnus, Transform!" when he's in regular mode, when he's holding his blue bolts weapon in either hand, his backpack makes different noises that correspond to which barrel is showing (laser or gatling gun), and when he holds it in both hands, it yells "Fire!" and a new shooting noise. BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! When transformed into Omega Prime, he says "Optimus Prime! Ultra Magnus! Combine!" in a slightly lower register, and when you mount the blue bolts over his head lightly and push down on one side, each one makes a new shooting noise, just like the regular mode. Finally, when you fully mount the blue bolts, he yells "Omega fire!" and a new, more impressive blast sound follows. This is the type of electronics toys should have, not junky stuff like Optimus Prime where it's one easily-pushed button that just cycles through his lines.

GNT
08-26-2001, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
BTW, I didn't know about this when I first wrote the below, but in Omega Prime, he makes noises, but not just all his noises at once like Optimus, noooo! Instead, he says "Ultra Magnus, Transform!" when he's in regular mode, when he's holding his blue bolts weapon in either hand, his backpack makes different noises that correspond to which barrel is showing (laser or gatling gun), and when he holds it in both hands, it yells "Fire!" and a new shooting noise. BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! When transformed into Omega Prime, he says "Optimus Prime! Ultra Magnus! Combine!" in a slightly lower register, and when you mount the blue bolts over his head lightly and push down on one side, each one makes a new shooting noise, just like the regular mode. Finally, when you fully mount the blue bolts, he yells "Omega fire!" and a new, more impressive blast sound follows. This is the type of electronics toys should have, not junky stuff like Optimus Prime where it's one easily-pushed button that just cycles through his lines.

Anything else? he seems to have everything you could ever want!

Jedi Clint
08-26-2001, 08:56 PM
'Xir,

That doesn't sound like a bad price for a Prime.......hope I can find it ;).

Tricks,

I think I remember the item being listed as "Macross Valkyrie", but I could be mistaken. Here are some visual cues that may help us figure out what the heck I've got.

Green eye visor.
Scull and cross-bones decals (one on the nose).
"U.S.SPACY" decals.
He is on a bubble card with the words "Galaxy Warrior" across the top.
The card is completely blank on the back.
No production date listed anywhere on the card.

I will try to get a pic to put on the net so I can show you exactly what it looks like.

F.Y.I. Wars has the same problem as Mirage......just noticed it. Crosswise does not.

Jedi Clint
08-26-2001, 10:20 PM
It seems the problem that Mirage and Wars share is shaping up to be an epidemic.....perhaps from now on we should refer to their blight as W.A.S. (Warped Axle Syndrome). If it becomes prevalent perhaps we should even add it to the glossary.

bigbarada
08-26-2001, 10:23 PM
Jedi Clint, sounds like you have a toy from the Robotech series. Maybe a bootleg. It seems from your descriptions to have the markings of Rick Hunter's or Roy Fokker's Valkyrie. I'd have to see a picture to be sure.

Jedi Clint
08-26-2001, 10:35 PM
As promised.

bigbarada
08-26-2001, 10:40 PM
Yep that's Roy Fokker's ship which Rick Hunter began to use after Fokker died. It's been so long I think that's how it went.

Jedi Clint
08-26-2001, 10:54 PM
Thanks bigbarada!!!!

How old is it?

Does anyone have an official listing in a price guide for this?

Jedi Clint
08-26-2001, 11:25 PM
http://www.valkyrie-exchange.com/Images/Comicon/mpc26.jpg

He is a bootleg.

Oh well, I am not too worried about it. Just got my expectations up a bit. I really should have known better.

I am still interested in finding out if this is worth anything, and when it was produced.

JediTricks
08-27-2001, 08:09 AM
I have one of those, they're hollow but for $10 (I got mine and a buddy's w/out packaging at Frank & Sons) they're pretty good toys for bootlegs but they're still cheap knockoff junk. ;) They don't have the armor, which kinda sucks, but they're not $100+, which rules. Since Sky/Jetfire is exactly the same except for stickers and colors as the Bandai Macross Valkyries, this is as much a knockoff of those as the TF. These knockoffs are brand-spanking new on the black and gray markets, I think they've only been out for 6 months.

As for W.A.S. syndrome, I hadn't noticed that problem on WARS because... ok, because he sucks no matter what. :D But here's an idea, you could snake the front axle off WARS and give it to Mirage since it's wider. Actually, I just looked, on my WARS figure, there is no threat of that syndrom because the sides aren't tapered enough to allow the wheels to bend outwards, if I push the chest all the way down like Mirage, it pops right back up!

Oh! I found a link off BWTF.com for these really poorly-set-up auctions for prototypes, and among them were 3 new Transformer mini-cars prototypes, but here's the interesting part: while 1 was a late-model Camero, the other 2 were Car Brothers Side Burn and X-Brawn! BWTF thinks they might be Happy Meal toys, but I disagree, I think they're going to be released in 2packs just like the first wave. I've attached a montage of these 3 to this post, check out the quality on X-Brawn mini, it's not the same-ol' transformation as the other minis!

bigbarada
08-27-2001, 10:09 AM
Jedi Clint, the only companies to produce Robotech in the US have been Matchbox in the 80's and Harmony Gold which just rereleased all the old Matchbox toys in the early 90's. Plus ToyBiz(?) rereleased all the big mechs as a separate toys line along with one Invid Invader. There has been more stuff release recently but I think it was just in the form of non transformable robots and large sized action figures of main characters like Rick Hunter, Lynn Mynmei and Lisa Hayes.

If anybody knows of any other stuff out there let me know.

Jedi Clint
08-28-2001, 12:50 AM
Thank you both for the info!

bigbarada,

I don't know if this is what you were asking about, but I think that there may be many who are interested in this info.

http://www.robotech.com/news/viewarticle.php?id=36

Something to look forward to.

Tricks,

The X-Brawn prototype mini is reassurance of a hope I have for the line. I am hoping that they strive to improve their toys as the line continues.

Sliver FBI
08-28-2001, 02:07 AM
I haven´t read every post on this thread, so it may have already been talked about.

Maybe I dreamed it, but I remember reading somewhere that the Combaticons were going to be in RID.

How true is this? Im really looking forward to those Jets, too.

JediTricks
08-28-2001, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Plus ToyBiz(?) rereleased all the big mechs as a separate toys line along with one Invid Invader.I'm pretty sure that's the Playmates line Exo-Squad, which started cool, but then they added that Robotech stuff which had ZIP to do with the actual line.

Clint, I totally agree with you on that, Hasbro seems to actually be picking up the gauntlet that Takara threw down (and abandoned).

The Combaticons are listed on Amazon.com as coming next month, renamed "Bruticus" I believe. These things are pretty basic compared to the current RID line, it'd be a big mistake IMO for Hasbro to put something so archaic out in this line.

bigbarada
08-28-2001, 09:34 AM
I'm pretty sure that's the Playmates line Exo-Squad, which started cool, but then they added that Robotech stuff which had ZIP to do with the actual line.

Thanks for the correction on the Playmates stuff, JT. I never even really took notice of the EXO Squad line until I saw all the cool Robotech mechs.

Jedi Clint, thanks for the link to the webpage, I added it to my favorites!:D

Jedi Clint
08-28-2001, 03:40 PM
Glad to be of service bigb :) .

Jedi Clint
09-07-2001, 02:05 PM
Scored the new Prime on a trip to see a friend get married at a Renaissance festival (most interesting wedding I've ever been to). I want to open it, but the 30 dollar price tag is keeping me from doing so. It looks like a nice toy. If anyone who has opened this toy, is able to post pictures they have taken (digital camera, scanner, web cam) on the web, and would be willing to do a Transformation progression for Prime, it would be really cool to see how he changes.

Jedi Clint
09-08-2001, 08:50 AM
I just watched my first episode of Tranformers RID (nice timeslot *cough* 7am). It wasn't bad. A bit slow. Made me ache to watch the originals. With the exception of Megatron, the Preds were pretty blah. The dialogue wasn't great either. Seeing vehicles turn into robots was worth the early rise though. The Optimus, and Megatron voices were very close to those of the same characters in the original cartoon.

Moving on past my opinion of the show, I noticed that Prime had 2 parts. He dropped the rear portion of the fire engine, and the front part became what appears to be his basic robot form. This is the subject of my inquiry.

Does the toy transform into *2* robots? Does the front half become the basic form of prime, and a stand-alone robot? The only picture on the outside of the package shows what appears to be full use of the entire fire engine.

Jedi Clint
09-08-2001, 08:59 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/pq/defcon/reviewsfc.html

Now I really want to open him!

Jedi Clint
09-08-2001, 09:13 AM
http://www.bwtf.com/

I could have used the link Jedi Tricks provided earlier in the discussion as well.

JediTricks
09-08-2001, 10:13 AM
Because of FOOTBALL the new 'toon has been preempted for Digimon which I literally cannot stand one minute of. Stupid Fox, they advertise this toon being on at 7am PST for oh, 5 weeks, then don't air it in favor of a SECOND friggin' episode of this dumber-than-dirt series!

As for the Optimus toy, it has 2 robot modes, the aft section of the firetruck becomes a fire base when not being used for robot parts. The vehicle mode is gappy and sloppy, but the basic robot mode MORE than makes up for this! Here's my look at the basic robot mode:
http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/optimus/

The larger mode is OK, but not great because the ladder is so freakin' huge and makes the super-robot head flop off.

I strongly suggest that you open Op and get Ultra Magnus, those 2 compliment each other's weaknesses so perfectly. Everywhere that Optimus is weak (vehicle mode, weapon) Magnus shines and vice-versa; and their combined mode is simply incredible.

Jedi Clint
09-08-2001, 10:22 AM
Excellent pics JT! Just curious, but do you think that the opened Prime and Magnus can be returned to their packaging relatively easily?

Jedi Clint
09-08-2001, 10:28 AM
I just examined a pic of Omega Prime. I can see at least one example of how the 2 compliment each other. The piece attached to the ladder does not appear to be part of the Omega Prime. This would eliminate the problem with the part of Optimus that you mentioned.

Eternal Padawan
09-09-2001, 10:12 AM
What do you think the chances of these things dropping in price is? I'm not having any trouble spotting them, it's the $30 price tag on them. I can't afford it!!! To get the two deluxe and three mid size vehicles is $100!!! I won't bother with that dopey Megatron thing (and predacons?? Was there something wrong with Decepticons? That sounds so much cooler.) So, do you think these will sell out before they go on clearance, or can I wait until KB decides they are taking up shelf space and drops the price down to $19.50?? Honestly, what do you guys think?

JediTricks
09-09-2001, 01:32 PM
Clint, glad you liked the pics, I love the way that figure poses!

I don't know if it'll be hard to get them back in their packaging or not, I didn't REMEMBER having a problem there, but I had no intention of putting them back either. ;) Their trays seem fairly straight-forward though, so unless I'm forgetting a mountain of twisty-ties (which very well may be the case), I don't think it'll be a huge hassle.

As for Omega Prime, none of the Fire Base pieces are used there "officially", but you can plop the pieces on just fine. bwtf has a page on this, basically it says you make the super-op hands into waist armor by plugging them into the "arms" of Ultra Magnus (which had nothing to do in Omega mode anyway), the super-op shoulders slide over the "wings", the super-op feet (aka the regular op's missile pods) fit onto the sides of Omega's legs, and the ladder piece fits onto Omega's forearm, though obviously that can't be held upright without assistance.

EP, with the electronics in both of these, I sincerely doubt you'll see these go down in price regularly, and so far they are selling like crazy, so I doubt there will be any left come post-x-mas clearance time.

As for the "predacons", they're based on the designs from Beast Wars, so obviously they won't be "Decepticons" since that faction happened in a different timeline for them (I think, the new toon hasn't aired yet in my town, though they'll be airing them 5 days a week starting monday, the show may alter the TF timeline even more, I don't know). There very well may be Decepticons down the line like when Scourge (aka Black Convoy) and the 2 jets come into the line, but I dunno for sure yet.

PS - supposedly, 2 new mini-car 2packs have been released, these cars have the weapons stow between the legs. Also, the deluxe 2packs are supposedly out too, and that probably means these will be G2 jets in them, but don't worry too much, Hasbro may actually change their minds about the rereleases and also may see that we want better, new Decepticons.

Jedi Clint
09-09-2001, 04:59 PM
Indeed, the pose you have Prime in is sweet!!! It didn't look like the packaging had to be destroyed to remove the figure. Twisty ties, I am ok with (well kind of). Perhaps I should have been more specific and asked if any part of the packaging had to be destroyed to remove the bot (like the way one must open a POTJ card). I gotcha though.

I have a difficult time navigating bwtf. Where is the Omega Prime article located? I saw the G2 jets on ebay. They looked a little bulkier than the G1 jets, but not too bad. Perhaps the prototype figures you provided a picture of are the upcoming mini-car 2 packs.

EP,

I agree with JT. I don't think the price tag on Prime and Magnus will drop. They seem to sell quite well despite their retail price.

JediTricks
09-10-2001, 09:15 AM
With the BWTF, you won't find some of the info in the "RID" section, you have to hunt it out in their "Transformers: Car Robots" section since that's where their original reviews are.

I spent 2 hours or so playing with Ultra Magnus tonight, and I have finally concluded that this is actually a better Transformer toy than RID Optimus IMO. Optimus is obviously a better action figure, and he is the core of Omega, but ultimately, the vehicle mode on Magnus is a lot better than Optimus' and the robot mode isn't really awful, while Optimus' vehicle mode and fire base kibble is pretty weak, so Magnus is now the better Transformer toy for me. I still have a ton of fun posing and playing with the Optimus figure, and slapping all that Omega Prime junk on him is a gasser too, but Magnus is just more rewarding to transform and play with IMO.

Sliver FBI
09-10-2001, 09:20 PM
Are Optimus and Ultra Magnus hard to Transform? Like Sideburn? Or are they easy, like the old Optimus?

JediTricks
09-11-2001, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Sliver FBI
Are Optimus and Ultra Magnus hard to Transform? Like Sideburn? Or are they easy, like the old Optimus? Somewhere in between; the transformation back is a little harder to do though.

Ok, the 2 packs are the small G2 jets which is a bit disappointing because the G2 jets in question have a TON of ugly kibble in vehicle mode. You can see the 2 basic c2packs, the 2 deluxe 2packs, amd the new 2-headed dog Bruticus figure (not to be confused with the G1 Combaticon Bruticus, which is ALSO in this wave but having a different name) from this seller's auctions on ebay:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=g-dawg70&include=0&since=30&sort=2&rows=25

Also, check these out, seller proto_year has pics up of these:
- Deluxe Jazz Prototype (http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/dtck/TFJazz.jpg)
- several components of the (renamed/repainted) Combaticons:
- - Shuttle (http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/dtck/TF201.jpg)
- - Tank (http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/dtck/TF202.jpg)
- - Jeep (http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/dtck/TF203jpg.JPG)

Eternal Padawan
09-12-2001, 10:24 AM
Movor? Armorhide? Rollbar? Remember when the Combaticons had cool names like Barrage and Swindle? Well, Rollbar is okay I suppose, but MOVOR???? What the what??

I just bought RID Optimus Prime and he doesn't seem to have a lot of play value. The firetruck doesn't stay connected real well, and the Ultrabot mode's head/chest plastron keeps popping off whenever you pick him up. That ladder on his back is bulky/cumbersome and the little "attack base" is kind of silly, but...Regular old Optimus looks pretty sweet and my three year old likes it enough that she wants to watch the movie, so I've got her hooked on two toy lines from my youth (three if you count Legos...sssssss;) ) I might pick up Ultra Magnus after I save up another $30 I can just blow...

OxsLemure
09-12-2001, 10:26 AM
you knwo I have seen some pretty good episodes of Po-K-formers but that was by far the best episode of Po-k-formers ever! Good lord the RID show sucks! I mean what weak freaking characters. UNBELIEVABLE STORY!!! Hey megatron..your a big stupid jerk..thanks bily..you distracted him just long enough for me to save the day...Good LORD!
I couldn't believe I stood a whoe half hour!
The toys look good though...Chad

Eternal Padawan
09-12-2001, 10:51 PM
I just picked up RID Ultra Magnus. He has the same problems as RID Optimus, the little clip on his chest doesn't stay hooked in if you pick him up. Plus, he doesn't stand on his own (he keeps tipping over backwards). I have yet to combine the two yet, but for the saving grace of regular sized Optimus (not the Ultra Optimus) these two are kind of a letdown. I am hesitant to pick up the three smaller cars (Prowl, Brawn, and ....Whatsisname) Is anyone else having these reservations about the RID line? I managed to stay away from the Beast Wars/Beast Machines/Machine Wars/Battle for the Spark crap but this new line got me all nostalgic...

Speaking of Transformers...Do you think Skids got made fun of by the other Autobots? He was a freakin' minivan!!

"Soccermom! Transform and roll out!(snicker)"

"My names Skids..."

"Sure it is. Open up so we can get the groceries out of your backside...HAHAHA!!"

JediTricks
09-13-2001, 10:09 AM
I always figured they called him "Skidmark" behind his back, in reference to the embarassing day in PE when he was pantsed and everybody saw his robotic underwear.

What "little clip on his chest" are you talking about EP? I can't think of what that's suposed to mean, Ultra Magnus' chest is totally hollow and just a pop-up facade. Perhaps you mean that the head and chest don't stay together very well, but I would consider that extremely minor. I think Magnus is the better of the 2 Ultra RID figures. As for the Car Bros - Prowl, X-Brawn, and Side Burn/Speedbreaker - I think they're all fantastic, but my favorite is Brawn. Each one has their own perks and minor foibles. I think that the RID line is awesome, but the future is Takara-free, so it remains to be seen if Hasbro can keep the level of cool designs as high as the Car Bros.

Oxs, I thought RID looked like "Digi-Formers" from the credits, though I haven't seen the show itself yet. ;)

Eternal Padawan
09-13-2001, 10:51 AM
Okay, the Omega Prime bot is pretty cool, and I bought Braw...excuse me X-Brawn (Iwill call him Brawn from now on) and Prowl. They are pretty cool too. The goofy shields on their left arms take gettng used to and Brawn's transformation confounded me. I actually had to look at the instructions!! But they're pretty cool.

How many phrases is UM supposed to have? OP has 4 but I can only get UM to say "Ultra Magnus Transform!" That seems odd that OP would have 4 and UM only one. Do I have a defective UM?

Eternal Padawan
09-13-2001, 11:02 AM
Aha! I just read your post above and saw the various phrases....That'll teach me.

JediTricks
09-14-2001, 09:15 AM
I'll never understand why Hasbro renamed Wildride "X-Brawn", what kind of name is that?!? Did he used to be Brawn and isn't now?

Oh well EP, now you know. ;)

Eternal Padawan
09-14-2001, 12:14 PM
I figured out if you push the square botton and the round button on the left and right blue "smokestacks" on the cab part, you get the different firing effects, and if you push in on the two buttons under the rear of the main cab, you hear the "Omega Prime" voice. The other thing I just noticed is Regular Prime's torso section has to support ALL the weight of the Omega Prime. So he folds like he was sucker punched every time you stand him up or try to play with him. Hasbro and/or Takara should have forseen this and braced that with something like the spare Optimus parts...

Rollo Tomassi
09-16-2001, 01:33 AM
As for the Car Bros - Prowl, X-Brawn, and Side Burn/Speedbreaker - I think they're all fantastic, but my favorite is Brawn. Each one has their own perks and minor foibles. I think that the RID line is awesome, but the future is Takara-free, so it remains to be seen if Hasbro can keep the level of cool designs as high as the Car Bros.

Oxs, I thought RID looked like "Digi-Formers" from the credits, though I haven't seen the show itself yet. ;)

What exactly do you mean by Takara-free? What other company would they(Hasbro) get designs from? Or would they attempt to do their own? Or perhaps go back to the original designs (from the mid 80's) and make cosmetic changes? And I noticed the show got pre-empted by Tragedy coverage, so it's only 1 for 3 in that time slot...

JediTricks
09-16-2001, 09:21 AM
EP, you don't actually have to hold down both buttons on the inside of the truck to hear the Omega voices, either one works that way. As for the weight distribution problem, I haven't had that yet in the torso, the problem I have with the weight is in the hip joints, they cannot take it and buckle. But it's not as bad if you move the legs outwards and rotate the feet to remain parallel to the floor.

Rollo, as I understand it, some of the later G1 and many of the G2 designs were all Hasbro from what I understand, and Beast Wars and Machine Wars were handed over from the main Hasbro design team to recently-acquired Kenner. While Takara did a few of the designs for the Japanese version of Beast Wars which were later translated back to the US, Takara hand't been the primary design team on Transformers toys in the US for quite some time. In Japan, Takara did the "TransFormers 2000: Car Robots" line which was comprised of Beast Wars Transmetals for the baddies (a cheap recycle), the new Gigatron design of theirs, and the primary focus of the line, homage figures of Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, and other great Autobots, and they also did a show for it. Of course, the Car Robots were the focus and everybody loved 'em, but they wanted more, so as I understand it, Takara mixed in reissues of older, less known G2/Machine Wars toys with new designs mostly of gestalts (JRX, Build King). Many of these will be coming to the US simply because they're in the US version of the cartoon, but once we run out of those (there's only 64 eps of the toon from Japan, I doubt we'll see more made for the US), Hasbro will almost certainly want to continue selling TF toys. However, Takara has apparently given up designing new Transformers altogether, instead concentrating on a different transforming toy concept, "Web Diver", which is a real working video game console/robot where the onscreen game is affected by other Web Diver bots when they're added to the main bot. So, without Takara making new Transformers, Hasbro has the choice of shutting down the line or designing their own... and they've already started with 3 new Spy Changers (the small cheapy robots in basic 2pack packaging) of the main characters (X-brawn, Optimus, and Magnus).

Bel-Cam Jos
09-16-2001, 05:08 PM
If I ever thought of getting back into the Transformers collecting habit, I have decided absolutely not now. Walking through a Wal*Mart, I noticed 1) their SW selection is CRAP! (say like Mike Myers Scottish character) and 2) there is some Wal*Mart exclusive Transformer! Already? Booo!!!:mad: :( :mad: :confused:

bigbarada
09-16-2001, 11:29 PM
Since yesterday was payday for me, I went to the PX to buy an Ultra Magnus, however I didn't count on Christmas shopping season starting so early. The shelves were cleared.:(

Oh well, guess I will pay my credit card bill after all.;)

JediTricks
09-17-2001, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
there is some Wal*Mart exclusive Transformer! Already? Booo!!!:mad: :( :mad: :confused: There's no retailer exclusive Transformer RID figure that I know of (and I make it my business to know these things ;)). There was an exclusive Ravage which was a Beast Wars Transmetals II repaint, but it had been out for months, and there's a Beast Wars TMII Megatron repainted blue exclusive coming to Target, that one looks fantastic! However, I don't think there's anything in the Robots In Disguise line on the horizon in the way of exclusives.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-17-2001, 07:29 PM
It may not be a WM exclusive, but it did have a Wal*Mart logo on the package that didn't seem like the store added it. Coul dbe wrong. Don't remember the name of the toy, sorry.

JediTricks
09-18-2001, 08:20 AM
Describe it please.

BTW, for you LA folks, apparently, UPN and Fox 11 have traded their afternoon schedules - Fox now has the stupid talk shows - Montel, Rikki Lake, etc. - and UPN has the afternoon kid shows - TF:RID, Power Rangers:Time Force, Digimon. Is that weird or WHAT?!?

Jedi Clint
09-19-2001, 08:59 PM
I decided to check out www.brianstoys.com, and found a few reissues I had previously been unaware of.

Lobito
09-19-2001, 09:05 PM
Will there be reissues of the Dinobots and the Constructicons?? I'll surely put my money on both, those guys really rocked, Soundwave was also one of my favorites.:D

bigbarada
09-19-2001, 09:11 PM
What would Soundwave be if he was reissued today? A DVD or CD player? Of course then he wouldn't have all those cool mini-robots that turn into tapes. Man, today's technology sucks.;)

GNT
09-20-2001, 05:02 AM
If you haven't seen the new Transformers RID Toys:

Grimlock
Hightower
Wedge
& Mega-Octane.

Grimlock,Hightower and Wedge form Landfill :)

For images check out: http://www.americandreamcomics.com/sys-tmpl/transformerstoycollectingnews/

JediTricks
09-20-2001, 05:40 AM
I found Bruticus, the Deluxe 2packs, and the spychanger 2packs, AND I have finally seen the new show, and... pray for Transformers people, pray... no matter what higher power you may believe in, PRAY! ;) What a mess that show is! I won't say more on this thread than "I don't like it, anybody who says this is better than Beast Wars is wrong or never watched BW, and this show is an insult to the original series."

Bruticus is a terrible toy, not worth your cash IMO. Hasbro made a HUGE mess there.

The Deluxe 2packs are a mix of good and bad features, but are definitely not up to the standards of RID.

The Spychangers are all cool, but all required me to sand down the copyrights so they could transform properly, NOT cool!

Well, at least the JRX trains are coming soon. I already have the original Combaticons (they kinda suck IMO) so the repaints/renames of those don't impress me, but hopefully the prototype deluxe Jazz on ebay will be coming soon and will be cool.

Rollo Tomassi
09-20-2001, 06:58 AM
First Optimus as a firetruck, now Grimlock is a....CONSTRUCTICON?!?!? Oh, how the mighty Grimlock has fallen.:( And it's been awhile, but are those Deceptic...excuse me..PREDACONS in the two packs Aerialbots (or at least Aerialbot repaints)? I've got the original Combaticons also JT, so I'll skip on those. I had high hopes for this new line, but I think I'll just dig out my classic Gen 1's and start playing with those until some decent new TF's hit the shelves....

Jedi Clint
09-20-2001, 02:46 PM
Even though I loved watching cars turn into robots, I haven't watched the show since the first episode aired here on 9/8.

Rollo Tomassi
09-20-2001, 03:12 PM
Went to target and picked up SideBurn (Speedbreaker) finally. Whats up with two names? is he MPD? Schizo? Vain like Prince? Anyway, hanging on the pegs with him were Bruticus and the new two-packs so I had ample time to examine them up close. I have one word.

ICKY.

I am staying away from anything that doesn't transform into a car or plane or something, so no Bruticus for me. And those two packs look lame like a guy who lost his leg in the war...

Speedburn on the other hand, rocks. I think he might be my fave of the three, with his crossbow lookin' bumper gun and he difinitely has the coolest shield arm of the three...I give SpeedBurn/SideBreaker/SpeedSide/BurnBreaker a A for grooviness...(and a C- for wishy washy namage...)

JediTricks
09-21-2001, 06:55 AM
Build King (the japanese name for "Landfill") is an Autobot made from four not three figures, and is a neat combiner where "Build Boy" (I think his name is "Wedge" here) is the center piece, and the other 3 bots can be used as any arm or the legs -- the idea there is that they change positions to use different weapons. I sincerely doubt you'll be disappointed by this all-new gestalt. (Yes, no recycling of G2 or G1 stuff.)

As for the 2pack jets, they're not Preds, they're Decepticons (I believe under the leadership of "Scourge" aka Black Convoy aka Evil G2 Laser Prime) and they're taken directly from the Machine Wars figures which are at the end of G2. That doesn't mean they're great, they're simple, one-step autotransform dealys, flick the nose down and the whole thing goes into shape, but they're OK, they're the first Decepticons in 7 years, and they have cool weapons.

Speedbreaker is the name of the figure in Japan and was supposed to be the figure's name here too, but at the last minute they went with "Side Burn" and clearly didn't change the techspecs. Strangely, they've got the "super" (they're recolored, that is what makes them super) techspecs for Side Burn and Prowl, I think, which is really weird.

Rollo Tomassi
09-21-2001, 11:59 AM
Ahhhhhh...all this talk of Transformers has got me nostalgic for the Gen1 toys, so I went to e-bay to see what's what. But here's the thing. I've never ordered...er...bid... from E-bay before. Is it better to wait until the last minute? Or bid and then if somebody bids back, you can decide if you want to get into a price war with that person? Is there any kind of etiquette I should know about? I saw a bunch of stuff I never had back then like Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, Skywarp, the Aerialbots, and an Omega Supreme (all loose figures). Each one was for less than $10. So I figured I might bid on one or more of them and see what happens...So any advice?

bigbarada
09-21-2001, 01:31 PM
I just ask myself what the maximum amount of money I'm willing to pay is, then make that my max bid. If the bidding goes over that then I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Lobito
09-21-2001, 05:42 PM
Hmmm...that Grimlock is horrible!! I will stay with the original grimlock...T-rex against Truck?? whats that...oh well.:rolleyes:

GNT
09-22-2001, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Ahhhhhh...all this talk of Transformers has got me nostalgic for the Gen1 toys

Got to agree with you there, I want the Takara re-releases of Generation 1 toys (Do they have new copyright on them,anyone know?

I wouldn't mind getting a couple, although they seem expensive ?

Rollo Tomassi
09-22-2001, 09:39 AM
I just watched the RID cartoon. The big drawback is the human factor. Those wierd digimon refugees at Autobot HQ and some crazed women showing up as "comic relief" all the time. UGGHH.

The episode was the introduction of the Combaticons (or whatever they call themselves these days, I wasn't foooled by Onslaughts new name;) ) and Scourge ( or as JT calls him, the infinitely cooler Black Convoy) The Predacons all seem like idiots, but these new Decepticons seemed to be more "tuff guy" spouting that macho rhetoric that made the first series cheesy/cool. The Car brothers and Prime looked cool, but I miss Peter Cullen. It's just not Optimus Prime without Peter. Ultra Magnus was nowhere to be seen. And just for fun, I dug out my old TF videos for my daughter to watch (she is fascinated with TF since I bought the Car Brothers!!), so I can compare the old series with the new. I'd say the swiss factor is about the same, except the old series has the luxury of being a product of the 80's. This new show has no such excuse...

Jedi Clint
09-23-2001, 12:06 AM
I will give the show another chance. I would like to see Black Convoy in action.

Today I passed on purchasing the new Decepticon jets. I am still thinking that I must have a screw loose for doing so. The reason I passed had nothing to do with the planes themselves. I loved seeing the Decepticon symbol on a new toy again, but I didn't want to pay for the cruddy Autobots that came with them. I may pick them up later on, but it would be nice if they were released as singles.

Rollo Tomassi
09-24-2001, 09:02 AM
I think rereleases of the original Gen1's would be totally cool, GNT. Which ones did you guys have (or do you still have if your like me)? And I mean the VERRRRY originals, Leave out your Sharkticons and Technobots, your Seacons and Protectobots, your Duocons and Throttlebots, your Headmasters and Targetmasters and Pretenders. Leave all that noise behind and sound off with your original vintage TF swag...let me hear your stories!!! Who was your first? Who was your fave? Who do you regret not having? Talk!!

My first two transformers were Jazz and Bumblebee. I had made an off hand remark to my mom about these cool new toys that a kid had brought to school. I didn't think much about it and certainly wasn't going to start collecting them (you know how hard it is to get your parents to buy EVERY new thing that comes out) so we were in Target a week later and my mom asked me if I wanted to pick up one of the cars, because they were on sale. I went for Jazz (I forgot who else was there that day) but when I got home, I found out my Mom had gotten Bumblebee, too! I still have both of them (plus about a hundred others) and Bumblebee's head is broken off, but my mom is the one who actually got me started on collecting my second favorite toy line EVER.....

I love you, Mom....

JediTricks
09-24-2001, 10:47 AM
RUMOR has it that Hasbro is thinking about releasing some of the original G1 sets like they have been in Japan. Megatron could be released, but would have to have an orange plug flush with the barrel or the whole tip of the gun painted orange. No big loss IMO as long as we get a Megs with all that cool junk.

Rollo, I think you got it with the toon. That and the over-cutzy stuff of the bots like Sky Byte actually weeping and Side Burn is a horn-dog for non-transforming red sports cars. The "Black Convoy" name is the Japanese name which does seem cooler than Scourge, but I hear some folks prefer to call him "Battle Convoy" which doesn't seem as cool. It figures that I recorded the wrong channel for the ep where Convoy is introduced and the villains weren't dopey. :rolleyes: to me.

You're totally right about Cullen, the new guy does sound Prime-like more than the guy who played Optimus Primal, but it's just not enough IMO.

I dragged out all my Vehicons from Beast Machines to do battle with my RID Autobots and it's SO much cooler than "Slapper", "Darkscream", "Gas Skunk" (I have all these in their original forms from Beast Wars:TM2, Dark Scream is cool but the others are weak) and "Sky Byte" (the only TM2 figure I chose not to get, even at half price).

Mirage from Beast Machines is an awesome enemy for Skidz, but is poorly-named since there's an RID Spychanger named Mirage as well. Luckily, Vehicons are generic drones, so renaming them is not a problem. ;)

Scavenger is kinda weak, a vehicon crane, but makes a good enemy for the Spychangers since he's in their scale.

Deluxe Jetstorm is just awesome as a cohort of the new Decepticons.

Mega Tankor is a great enemy for any of the RID Autobots. He's a big enough bot to menace Optimus in robot mode, and a big enough tank to out-size the Car Bros. Plus, he has the absolute best light-piping of any Transformer ever.

Obsidian makes for a great strafing enemy since he's an Ospray-type VTOL jet/copter, is heavily-armed, and is in scale with the Spychangers.

Deluxe Thrust is the Vehicon I can't find a great vehicle size to work with, that mode is just too big for anything in the Autobot line. The robot mode is big enough to menace Optimus, but it only makes sense in the same way that the Spychanger vehicle modes are the same size as the Car Bros. ;)

Mega Jetstorm is MAMMOTH. Since it's a jet, I kinda fudge it and say he's a mega-bomber type of humongous plane, which would actually give a good size exchange in bot mode for Ultra Magnus or even Omega Prime. It's a little weak, but it's better than Deluxe Thrust. :p

Deluxe Blastcharge is another large-ish tank that can menace the poor Car Bros. He's kinda an oddball bot, but he's got enough interesting charms to pull off the enemy look and is heavily armed to be a threat to any Autobot.

Tank Drone is big enough to really be a troublemaker for the Spychangers, he's just too small to really be a huge threat against the deluxe-sized Autobots in vehicle mode, but in bot mode, he is big enough to toss Spychangers around and wound Deluxe-sized Autobots.

Deluxe Strika is another menacing tank vehicle thing, more in scale with Tow Line in vehicle mode (hey, even the dopey Tow Line needs an enemy dangit! ;)), but in bot mode really seems like a threat to all the Autobots with her (yes, it's a "her") jump-jets and reciprocating blasters.

Spy Streak is a big fat SR-71 which is way out of scale, but works well with the Decepticon jets and has the giant claw to grab an entire Spychanger or the arm of any Deluxe Autobot.

Finally, the very last Vehicon on the list is Motorcycle Drone, who's just perfect in size (once you remove those giant missle/flames) to harass the Car Bros in vehicle OR bot mode. He's a scrappy little fighter with huge guns for hands, what he lacks in size, he makes up for in speed and firepower.

I strongly suggest that if you don't like the dopey Predacon toys for your villains, that you track down as many Beast Machines Vehicons (http://www.bwtf.com/bmtf/toys/reviews/) as you can while they're still out there, because these baddies definitely have more attitude and make more sense battling your Autobots than the current selection of baddies in the RID line.

GNT
09-25-2001, 03:10 AM
I think rereleases of the original Gen1's would be totally cool, GNT. Which ones did you guys have (or do you still have if your like me)? And I mean the VERRRRY originals, Leave out your Sharkticons and Technobots, your Seacons and Protectobots, your Duocons and Throttlebots, your Headmasters and Targetmasters and Pretenders. Leave all that noise behind and sound off with your original vintage TF swag...let me hear your stories!!! Who was your first? Who was your fave? Who do you regret not having? Talk!!

I had most of the Original Transformers (I miss the cartoons :( ) Megatron,Motormaster,Sounwave,starscream,1st prime,Bubblebee etc etc I still have them and there parts,just that some of the stickers are starting to peal off.

I loved the metal/steel (whatever it was) in them,good old days. Does the re-issues use metal?

I'd love to get them but they seem way to expensive,Hopefully Hasbro will re-release them :)

My first? Cant remember.Favourite?Prime was my favourite in its day. My regret is not getting the 5 vehicles that join into one,there from the episode where Starscream goes to an island and finds old army vehicles,Plane,Tank etc I cant remember the names :(

I refuse to buy the Beast wars and Machine wars because it looks pretty cr@ppy to me!

Rollo Tomassi
09-25-2001, 08:30 AM
GNT, those were Combaticons! Barrage(Tank), Swindle(Jeep), Vortex (Helicopter), and Blast-Off (Space Shuttle) and their leader Onslaught (A flat bed truck with a HUGE double -barreled gun on the back!!) Together, they formed Bruticus, And you're in luck (sort of) They have been renamed (with lamer names IMO...MOVOR??!) and repainted and are being released as Decepticon Combiners for the RID line.

I, too, think the Beast Wars, Beast machines, Battle of the Spark, etc was icky. When I saw the new RID line, I thought "Cool. But I doubt I'll buy any." Then JT came in here and started going on and on about how cool the new Optimus and Ultra Magnus were, so now I'm hooked and have even started looking at vintage Gen1's on E-bay. Even though I can't afford it...Thanks a lot JT.:( ;) :D

I doubt they'll use metal in the new ones, but if no metal means no rerelease, then forget the metal. I can be extra careful as long as I have a Wheeljack!!:)

Rollo Tomassi
09-25-2001, 08:45 AM
Rollo, I think you got it with the toon. That and the over-cutzy stuff of the bots like Sky Byte actually weeping and Side Burn is a horn-dog for non-transforming red sports cars. The "Black Convoy" name is the Japanese name which does seem cooler than Scourge, but I hear some folks prefer to call him "Battle Convoy" which doesn't seem as cool. It figures that I recorded the wrong channel for the ep where Convoy is introduced and the villains weren't dopey. to me.

Why would they make Skybyte and the predacons into such doofuses (doofi?). It seems counterproductive to marketing. If I were a kid watching the show, I wouldn't want to buy the biggest A** on the show as a toy...maybe that's why the Transformer section at Wal-Mart has 9 Skybytes and 0 anything else...I saw another episode (With the Trains!! Cool!!) but this thing seems to have an overabundance of comic relief. between the car bros making asinine comments, the bumbling of the predacons, and that STUPID WOMEN!!! (Gaaaah!! Who is she? Why is she there?) I miss the old show...

Speaking of the old show, what is up with Rhino releasing only 3 episodes on DVD at a time. Somebody needs to set Rhino straight on who actually BUYS DVDs....is it little kids (to whom they are obviously catering these products)? or is it the 20- somethings who are nostalgic for a show from the 80's and who actually OWN DVD players and BUY DVDs. Obviously it's the latter. 20 somethings who actually know the meaning of "value added" product and know DVD hold six hours of footage are NOT going to buy a 60 minute DVD. Not when they can buy a Super Special Edition of Episode 1 and get there money's worth. Somebody should let Rhino know so they can put 8 or 10 shows on each DVD....THEN I'll start buying them...

JediTricks
09-25-2001, 09:29 AM
Poor Beast Wars, it never got the respect it deserved, either in the toys or the show. BTW, "Battle for the Spark" was simply the sub-title of the later parts of Beast Machines, since Megatron had stolen all the sparks of the bots living on Cybertron and the Maximals were trying to set them free before Megs started killing them (thus killing their robotic "souls").

Poor Rollo, I'm his dealer. "Hey, c'mere, I got somethin' for ya, you'll like it. This taste is free, but the next one..." ;)

I guess the thinking behind making the Preds complete doofuses was part of the thinking behind the whole concept of the show, a "Digimon" style show to cash in on that style's popularity in Japan. It doesn't help that Saban is easily the worst major kid entertainment company today and is in charge of the US production of the show. Heck, Saban took 10 years just to get Power Rangers right, and now they're shelving it for "Wild Force". All I know is the new show is insulting to kids and fans alike and seems to have been given the least amount of quality possible.

Rollo Tomassi
09-25-2001, 09:49 AM
My beef with Beast Wars was the whole "restructure the history thing" Optimus became Optimus Primal and turned into an ape. Ugh. Who didn't cringe at that one? Maximals? Predacons? And I don't dig on Transformers turning into animals and things. I liked the Dinobots and that because they looked like machines even in their dinosaur modes. But remember the Monsterbots from near the end of the original run? Man, those things were lame. That, to me, is the Beast Wars summed up. Lame creatures posin' as robots. Then they started renaming figures. Mirage is a bad guy? Whaaaaat? Anyway, Beast Wars ruined Transformers for me. Machine Wars piqued my interest(Megatron as a Green and Purple tank??), but not enough to get back into it until the RID line. And I'll keep watching the show as it is kind of like picking a scab...

JediTricks
09-25-2001, 10:17 AM
My beef with Beast Wars was the whole "restructure the history thing" Optimus became Optimus Primal and turned into an ape. Ugh. Who didn't cringe at that one? Maximals? Predacons?Rolly, you silly, silly boy. (heh heh, every word in the previous sentence has a 'y' in it. ;)) Optimus Primal and the Maximals were the future generations of the Autobots, like 500 years after the time of original Optimus Prime and his gang. The Preds were the future generations of the Decepticons, and in fact had an uneasy truce between Preds and Maximals in the beginning of the show back on Cybertron. Megs and his Preds were rogues and not politically-backed by the Tripredicus council, who even sent a special hunter back in time to capture Megatron. Optimus Primal was NEVER supposed to be the same character as Prime, he was just a science-ship leader who was in the area of escaping Predacon rogues and was ordered to stop them, in the process getting sucked back in time with the Preds and was forced to become a military leader; Beast Wars actually used the history of the original show as its backstory, the Maximals and Preds land on a prehistoric Earth (they don't even know it's Earth, it has 2 moons when the show starts) and eventually find knuckle-dragging humans (Megatron, who is just trying to pay homage to the infamous original, is trying to take those humans out so they won't be able to assist the Autobots and the Decepticons will win the war) and even encounter the Ark and the hibernating Autobots and Decepticons aboard. The show is brilliant in making the original show a historical and political basis for Beast Wars, and even brings in a few characters from the original show in creative ways.

That, to me, is the Beast Wars summed up. Lame creatures posin' as robots. Then they started renaming figures. Mirage is a bad guy? Whaaaaat?IMO, the creatures were pretty danged realistic, and on the show, were VERY realistic and even interacted with real versions of their species. As for "Mirage", that's the only one, and it had nothing to do with the show (that toy never even made it to the show), however since it's a Beast Machines toy, it would make perfect sense and here's why: The plot of Beast Machines was that Megatron got free of the Maximals on their way back to Cybertron, and using technology he developed over his long time on prehistoric Earth, he was able to capture ALL the sparks (the spark is a Transformer's energy-soul) of every bot on the planet, then make factories to build drones, and Megs gave a few of the drones their own sparks, though he modified/poisoned them to bend to his evil will. So these new Vehicon generals who have those "poisoned sparks" could be former allies of the Maximals, which makes trying to kill them a difficult choice for our heroes... or at least some of them.

Rollo Tomassi
09-26-2001, 01:07 AM
See, I never watched the show, so I appreciate the info. I just saw a Transforming Monkey on the shelf one day and thought "Poor Optimus. How the mighty have fallen." Then I remembered a Toyfare where Jetfire and Optimus Primal are standing next to each other. Jetfire says "I can go form 0 to 500 mph in .008 seconds" and Optimus Primal responds "I can throw my own feces..." that's pretty funny. Anyway...

Naming Primal was obviously a point reference to the original Autobot commander. If they were to truly start over, they would have given brand new names to all. Like calling Fire Convoy, Fire Convoy instead of Optimus Prime. But Hasbro is counting on that name recognition to sell toys. THAT"S what I had the beef with..not the actual continuity of the program/storyline. I saw a Monkey Optimus and that was enough for me to give up on Transformers for 10 years.

And I saw my third episode...Why does Optimus stand around Autobot HQ in super mode, but when he goes out to actually fight, he switches to his "wimpier" mode? I would think it would be the other way around. it's not every episode I've seen, but he's done it more than once....

Also, my local comic shop has an "X-Brawn" from Japan that is white with racing logos and stuff all over it. Is this X-Brawn or what? Who is this guy (I can't read the Japanese on the box..)

GNT
09-26-2001, 01:17 AM
GNT, those were Combaticons! Barrage(Tank), Swindle(Jeep), Vortex (Helicopter), and Blast-Off (Space Shuttle) and their leader Onslaught (A flat bed truck with a HUGE double -barreled gun on the back!!) Together, they formed Bruticus, And you're in luck (sort of) They have been renamed (with lamer names IMO...MOVOR??!) and repainted and are being released as Decepticon Combiners for the RID line.

Thanks,thats them, are there any pictures of the RID versions of them? I have to get them :)

JediTricks
09-26-2001, 06:52 AM
Rollo, I think the name "Optimus Primal" was an homage to the original leader in the same way that "Rodimus Prime" was showing the changing of leadership (not that I particularly liked that little change). I won't mention that Hasbro had the gall to name one of the TM2 figures "Optimus Minor"... ugh. And the whole "Fire Convoy" thing is the same really, "Convoy" is the Japanese version of "Prime" as I understand it. I was actually more offended by Optimus Prime and Megatron names being used for the 1995 "GoBots" (the original versions of our Spychangers, a Ferrari for Op and Megs was some other car) and Megatron being a Machine Wars Jet, but that's me. Ultimately, like you pointed out, it's really just about brand name recognition.

The Beast Wars show was awesome, when you watched Optimus Primal in action, you really saw that they weren't trying to make the same character out of Primal, but that he lived in the shadow of the truly-great original Prime and it caused him to question some of his command abilities. The show was very deep in that way.

As for the white with colored X-brawn (the color scheme is that of a rally car), it's the Japanese original character "Wildride" in his super-mode (a powered-up spark gave the Car Bros added speed and new colors). Super Wildride was my first TF2000 "Car Robots" figure and he's really cool. I think the Japanese recolors are all better than the original colors both in the US and in Japan, though if Wildride didn't have that ugly green fade in the back, it'd be a tough toss-up. The only thing I don't like about the Super Car Bros is the use of gold chrome instead of silver. These recolors will be coming to the US probably this x-mas, dunno if the words "Wildride" or "Cybertron" or "Mach Alert" (the text on the original Japanese super versions) will be on the Car Bros' bodies when they get here though.

One last little tidbit, since the car brothers were all made with primarily clear plastics that were later painted, in Japan there are clear variants of each which look neat!

Rollo Tomassi
09-26-2001, 09:49 AM
GNT, buddy, click on YOUR americandreams.com link in post #76 and scroll back down to the 9/15 and 8/29 posts!

JT, yeah, those 'Gobots' were a blasphemy! Any Transformers with the word "Gobots" in the title is....

I guess I have a problem with any Optimus that's not a Truck. I was even a little perturbed when PowerMaster Prime came out in '88. Why do we need a new Optimus? I bought him anyway...:)

GNT
09-27-2001, 03:13 AM
GNT, buddy, click on YOUR americandreams.com link in post #76 and scroll back down to the 9/15 and 8/29 posts!

JediTricks
09-27-2001, 09:23 AM
Rollo, I'd love to see your reaction to that horrid Optimus Minor figure. ;)

For me, it's never bothered me that the robots might one day take another disguise, but Op Primal wasn't that either.

Utinni
09-27-2001, 04:23 PM
Heh. Optimus Minor sucked. You know what I had? Those nifty little Micro Machine Transformers. I had four cars. A red one, a yellow one, a grey one, and a Blue racecar lookin' one. heck if I know there names though. I had some jets, too, but I don't know where any of them are.

Eternal Padawan
09-29-2001, 09:59 AM
I just watched this new cartoon. Build Team? What happened to cool team names? I can't help but think that if these "new" Transformers ever ran into the classic ones, it'd be a one-sided can whuppin' with the originals victorious. Hmm, original Transformers. "Gen1" you say? They should come out with a volkwagon for the new RID line. THAT'S what this new team needs. Bumblebee.

JediTricks
09-29-2001, 11:00 AM
Oh yeah, the name "Bumblebee" is sooooo scary! I'm sure Devastator was just quivering with fear when the name "Bumblebee" was uttered. ;) Did you know that the original Bumblebee toy in the US was based on a Japanese robot toy where the vehicle form was actual size? It was pretending to be one of those Penny Racers (you geezers my age should remember those, they were smaller than your thumb and when you put a penny in the back slot, they did tricks and stuff because they were off balance) that turned into a robot, that's why it's so misshapen in vehicle mode.

As for "Build Team", it is a stupid name, but not half as stupid as the original name of the leader, "Build Boy" (Wedge here in the US). Yikes! What a crappy name. I think the reason they're "Build Team" is because Saban, the company some idiot gave the Japanese cartoon to, didn't want to be creative when renaming the characters and team members the further away from the main characters. I mean, what kind of gestalt name is "Landfill"?!? I blame this debacle squarely on Saban's shoulders (you know Saban, they did the Power Rangers in the US, took 'em 10 years to get it even close to not cruddy).

Um, if we took G1 Transformers and had them fight these RID ones, the RID ones would stomp their hinies! G1 Transformers can barely move, they usually don't even have working elbows! RID TFs would be kicking the G1s in the butt, then when the G1 finally turned around to see what was going on, the RID version would run around to their other side and kick the G1 in the butt again. ;) Plus, some of the old G1s didn't even have HANDS!

Sliver FBI
09-29-2001, 08:00 PM

Um, if we took G1 Transformers and had them fight these RID ones, the RID ones would stomp their hinies! G1 Transformers can barely move, they usually don't even have working elbows! RID TFs would be kicking the G1s in the butt, then when the G1 finally turned around to see what was going on, the RID version would run around to their other side and kick the G1 in the butt again. ;) Plus, some of the old G1s didn't even have HANDS!

Well, IMHO, RID toys would kick some G1 toys butts, that´s for sure, but if they were to battle in a cartoon, Im sure the G1 transformers would win. By the time one of the RID autobots is done saying "Super Ultra Deluxe Riffle, Fire Mega Neon Laser!" a G1 Autobot would fire like 100 times at him.

But, the RID guys have an advantage; whenever they´re transforming or attacking, they have this funky multicolored background wich may confuse the G1 Autobots.

Eternal Padawan
09-30-2001, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Sliver FBI

Well, IMHO, RID toys would kick some G1 toys butts, that´s for sure, but if they were to battle in a cartoon, Im sure the G1 transformers would win. By the time one of the RID autobots is done saying "Super Ultra Deluxe Riffle, Fire Mega Neon Laser!" a G1 Autobot would fire like 100 times at him.

But, the RID guys have an advantage; whenever they´re transforming or attacking, they have this funky multicolored background wich may confuse the G1 Autobots.

Definitely. RID have to tell themselves to transform, like it's a reminder...and Optimus Prime has to show EVERY SINGLE TIME to save their behinds. At least the GEN 1 boys could take care of themselves. Take RID Optimus out of the equation and RID is toast.

Gen1 Brawn didn't have hands. Hound had thalidomide arms. Ironhide didn't have a head and he had big goofy clown feet. Same for Ratchet. Huffer had smokestacks for hands (try playing the piano with THOSe goofy mitts!)

As for names, Bumblebee might have been goofy, but SideBurn?? Why not just call him muttonchop and be done with it. X-Brawn?? it might have been an "extreme sport" thing but then they go and give him a cattle rustler's voice. And then the acronym names...W.A.R.S., R.E.V...Just plain silly. I'm waiting for Battle Intensive Neo Killer Yacht or B.I.N.K.Y.

Alright, it's time to throw down...RID vs. GEN1. Toys vs. Toys. and Cartoons Vs. Cartoons. it's time for the ulimate showdown....
Here are the opening matches.

Gen1 Grimlock vs. RID Grimlock followed by
Grimlock and his fellow Dinobots vs. Grimlock and his fellow (snicker) Build Team. Then we have
(snicker) Build Team vs. The Gen1 Constructicons.
Gen1 Megatron vs. RID Megatron.
Gen1 Optimus vs. RID Optimus.
Gen1 Megatron vs. RID Optimus
Gen1 Optimus vs RID Megatron.
Gen1 Ironhide, Prowl, and Sunstreaker vs. RID Car Bros.
Gen1 Minicars (Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Brawn, Huffer, Windcharger, and Gears) vs. The RID Spychangers.

All ready? FIGHT!...

GNT
09-30-2001, 01:58 AM
Since I'm interested now,again after a 10-15 year absince, I have a question thats been buging my for years,I have:

Mixmaster (Lime cement mixer)
Long Haul - Lime dump truck)
Scrapper ((Constructicon leader) - Lime payloader)

and they are "yellow" and never came with the parts they needed to make Devastator,Now I have seen pictures of some of them (from within peoples collections) and they are green,what gives?

Eternal Padawan
09-30-2001, 02:13 AM
Originally (and by that I mean in the USofA...don't know about Japanese versions before that...), the Constructicons were lime green and formed into Devastator. Later, I think they rereleased them under the Generation 2 line and they were yellow and didn't come with the parts neccesary to form Devastator. I've also seen versions on E-Bay where they are all different colors (Blacxk Scrapper, Red Long Haul, Blue Hook etc...) and do form into a version of Devastator (albiet an ugly rainbow colored one...)

GNT
10-01-2001, 12:56 AM
I'm pretty sure they ain't Generation 2,I never bought any of the GEN2 stuff, I'm pretty sure of that :) Just reissues?

I'll check ebay and see if I can find some images :)

GNT
10-01-2001, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
I've also seen versions on E-Bay where they are all different colors (Blacxk Scrapper, Red Long Haul, Blue Hook etc...) and do form into a version of Devastator (albiet an ugly rainbow colored one...)

Just saw them, I guess someone is remaking them and other Transformers and selling them off :(

JediTricks
10-01-2001, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by GNT
Since I'm interested now,again after a 10-15 year absince, I have a question thats been buging my for years,I have:

Mixmaster (Lime cement mixer)
Long Haul - Lime dump truck)
Scrapper ((Constructicon leader) - Lime payloader)

and they are "yellow" and never came with the parts they needed to make Devastator,Now I have seen pictures of some of them (from within peoples collections) and they are green,what gives? The yellow figures you're talking about are European exclusive recolors released the year before Generation 2, scuttlebutt has it that these were only released as a set without the parts to form Devastator.

GNT
10-02-2001, 03:33 AM
The yellow figures you're talking about are European exclusive recolors released the year before Generation 2, scuttlebutt has it that these were only released as a set without the parts to form Devastator.

The yellow ones I have never came in a set,they were released on seperate cards.

How much would they go for if I was to sell them? How much do the parts needed to form Devastator cost? Any help would me fine :)

JediTricks
10-02-2001, 10:48 AM
Ok, that was just the rumor about being only a set, it was not confirmed.

I don't know the aftermarket prices on these, could be high or low. The parts to form Devastator are not always easy to come by, but if you're patient, you can get them fairly cheap. Or you could buy the knock-off and use those pieces I suppose.

GNT
10-05-2001, 02:36 AM
Another question:

With the mini RID cars 2packs, I 've noticed that one shop I went to had both the cars in the package in car mode and when I went to other stores the car on the left was in robot mode while the one on the right was in car mode, is this just a Hasbro thing?Any value?anything?

Rollo Tomassi
10-05-2001, 09:47 AM
I noticed that as well. The first wave came out robot/car. Then it was rereleased as car/car and the second wave is car/car also. Something to do with easier packaging two cars than to transform one of them and then stick him in. Or Hasbro is trying to grab crossover collectors of Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars. Or maybe the robots look silly and cheap in robot mode. I open all mine for my daughter so the packaging went in the trash. Time will tell if one is worth more than another, but I doubt it, because they are all plentiful. I also bought her Tow-Line and Skyfire and the stupid towtrucks arm fell off 30 seconds out of the packaging. So THAT'S going back to Wal-Mart. What a cheaply made piece o' junk...

As for EP's Gen1 vs RID. Grimlock and his Dinobots have the advantage, in both Cartoon and Toy, over the Build Team. The BT might get it together and overcome the Dinobots one weakness: Stupidity, but Wedge is too much of a hothead to calmly think the situation through. Advantage: Gen1

G1 Megatron vs RID Megatron. Cartoon: G1 Megatron (the REAL Meg...) would hand RID Meg his..ummmm...bottom. He's got more personality and seems more willing to get his hands dirty doing the work, while RID Megatron sends out buffoons he KNOWS are going to fail him time and again. G1 is more vicious, more conniving, and more dedicated to his cause. In TOY mode, however, G1 Megatron has spindly little legs and a funny shaped forehead. RID Megatron would mop the floor with him, Gun mode or not.

G1 Optimus vs RID Optimus. Cartoon: Don't know RID Prime's story but he was hanging around on Earth as a firetruck waiting and hoping Megatron might show up to conquer it. Kind of passive-aggressive leadership if you ask me. G1Optimus is older, wiser, tougher, and has the one two punch of the creation matrix and Peter Cullen's voice. RID Optimus might have the nifty attachments going on but that will only get you so far. G! has the battle savvy and the scars to match. It would be no contest. Advantage: Gen1 Toy: G1 Optimus has the better backend/ mobile command and die cast metal. RID has an awesome robot mode and a super robot mode. G1 has a cooler gun though. RID has that stupid little thing with a wheel on the back of it. What is that??? And a big cumbersome ladder on his back in super robot mode. G1 has "Roller" and "...he's one tough little Autobot..." according to Jazz.;) It's a tough chouce but you stand their two regular robot modes next to each other and, nostalgia notwithstanding, RID Optimus is the winner.

Whew! That's enough writing about Transformers today... I'll continue the matchups the next time...

JediTricks
10-05-2001, 12:45 PM
So I went and bought myself a Generation 2 Dreadwing & Smokescreen 2pack set on ebay, and I just got it last night and my thoughts... Hasbro should immediately rerelease these 2 in the RID line! These 2 are so cool, see the auction's pics:
http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/62924cd8e91cc4da46146348d3/i-1.JPG
http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/62924cd8e91cc4da46146348d3/i-2.JPG

The smaller jet slides into the larger stealth bomber, and while the bomber's alternate mode (it's a triple-changer) is a pretty weak tank, I've seen worse and it is an ok rolling battle weapon. I'd only ask that Hasbro change the colors and the giant gatling gun, it's too big and really looks out of place, a gun more like Mega Tankor's from Beast Machines which is sleak and yet still large and imposing. The bot modes are both quite well-articulated for G2 toys, enough so that they'd do well with the other RID figures. The smaller bot is not a slouch, it's got a satisfyingly-complicated transformation and a formidible robot mode. While there aren't many other pre-Beast Wars Transformers that could cut it in the RID line, I think these are a must-have set.

Rollo Tomassi
10-06-2001, 09:47 AM
Cool pics JT. They definitely need to change to color scheme on those guys. I have a question...How Big is the "Scourge/Black Convoy" toy going to be? I was watching the show and he's shorter than Onslaugh...excuse me...Mega-Tankor and the show is usally pretty good about size as far as I can tell. Is he smaller than I was thinking? I thought he'd be Optimus and Ultra Magnus sized...

JediTricks
10-06-2001, 10:29 AM
Rollo, I think you mean "Mega Octane", Mega Tankor is a mega-sized figure from Beast Machines. ;)

Yeah, Dreadwing and Smokescreen's colors are definitely not top-notch work. It's weird, Hasbro did a fantastic job on Machine Wars Starscream's colors, I can't figure out why they had G2 so crazy.

It's been a while, but I think Laser Optimus isn't that tall, he's slightly shorter than RID Optimus in robot mode. The problem stems from Laser Op being a really simple transformer to make room for his electronics and battery housing in the main cab, which doesn't do ANYTHING here in Scourge/Black Convoy except hang there (no electronics and no transforming bits).

Jedi Clint
10-06-2001, 03:39 PM
Black Convoy is taller than G1 Optimus, but as I haven't opened RID Optimus, I have no basis for comparison there. I wish I had seen the RID episode with Scourge in it. Was it any good? What is the relationship between the Decepticons and the Predacons, and between Megatron and Scourge?

Rollo Tomassi
10-07-2001, 01:40 AM
JT...yeah Mega-Octane. See, he's Onslaught in my book, so...but thanks for the size description. For some reason he's shorter than MegaOctane on the show...weird...

JC The Predacons (Megatron, Skybyte and those 3 little annoying things) stole 6 incomplete Autobot body matrixes. They were Autobots that hadn't been awakened and given proper Earth vehicle transformations. So Megatron infuses the first 5 with his "spark" and the Predacons grab nearby military vehicles to form the "Decepticons" which are Mega-Octane and the other Combiners. I'm not sure how it works but using Megatron's spark makes them loyal to him even though they transform like Autobots. The sixth one Megatron uses on an oil tanker truck that's about to tip over and crush some humans, but Optimus Prime grabs it and the matrix thing encodes both Optimus and the tanker. So when Scourge transforms he's infused with both Megatron's Spark and something of Optimus also making him conflicted, but he eventually sides with Megatron and becomes leader of the Decepticons, who are subordinate to Megatron and despise the Skybyte and the other Predacons. Many an episode have dealt with the conflict between the Decepts and the Preds. But since Scourge has a bit of Optimus in him, he has a real mad-on for Optimus and they tussle quite a bit. Optimus feels that Scourge and the other Decepticons are really Autobots and is trying to get them to see the good within themselves and turn...so far unsuccessfully.

JediTricks
10-07-2001, 09:29 AM
Rollo, Mega Octane is a tall figure so don't be surprised that MO is taller than Scourge.

Clint, keep in mind that the RID explanation actually is totally fractured off from the Japanese canon and NOT the original show or Beast Wars.

BTW, they introduced Ultra Magnus in part 1 of a 2-parter Sat morning and it sucked, Magnus was an Autobot who had a huge vendetta against Prime and was hindering the Autobots' attempts to stop the Preds. Magnus was super powerful and easily defeated everybody, and was just about to kick Prime's bumper when the ep ended.

Rollo Tomassi
10-07-2001, 11:55 AM
Clint, keep in mind that the RID explanation actually is totally fractured off from the Japanese canon and NOT the original show or Beast Wars.

By "original" you mean the 80's version and not the Japanese version of RID, right? oh.. I didn't realize whether JC knew that. Yeah these are different characters with the same names as the "Gen1" guys. These decepticons in the RID are the first Decepticons EVER as far as this "alternate universe" is concerned.

And I thought that episode was weak myself JT. The Predacons' plans to rule the world seem to be incidental in this series.. In Gen1 the Decepts had a rock solid agenda: Steal Energy. Enough to get home. Enough to take control of Cypertron. Every episode was towards that end. In this new show their agenda is vague and wishy washy: Dominate Earth. Why? How? It's never really explained and no one seems to care.

And I missed the first (two?) episodes. What happened to Koji's dad?

JediTricks
10-08-2001, 11:42 AM
Yes, I meant the original 1980s cartoon, the first "Transformers" cartoon.

In the Japanese TF:2000 Car Robots cartoon, are they actually called "Decepticons", or are they "Destrongers" and something else?

I also missed the first eps, so I don't really know what the story is with Koji's dad either.

Jedi Clint
10-08-2001, 01:10 PM
Thank you both for the information. The dynamic between Scourge, Prime, and Megatron sounds intriguing. I hope I can catch some episodes featuring the Decepticons. Are they in the show regularly, or do the just pop up from time to time? It doesn't sound like there are very many at this point. Have the two Jets from the 2-packs (each comes with an Autobot) appeared on the show yet?

Rollo Tomassi
10-08-2001, 06:09 PM
Well, I saw the tow-truck in one of the commercials for the show, so it would seem those four (the two autobots and two decepticons) show up eventually, but I havent seen them on the actual show.

I think they are showing the episodes out of chronological order. I'm not sure what order they are supposed to be in but they "introduced" the Trainbots in an episode AFTER one they had already been in. SO the Decepticons showed pretty regularly after they were introduced but I havent seen them in a week or two.

JediTricks
10-10-2001, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure the 2 Decepticon planes will ever appear in the show, they haven't to date and they don't appear in my Japanese TF2k:Car Robots catalog (came with my Super Car Bros boxed figures), though every bot that's been on the show to date does appear in the catalog.

Rollo Tomassi
10-10-2001, 05:06 PM
hey hey! Speak of the devil...Tow-Line showed up in Tuesday's Episode and they re-ran the Decepticons showing up today. I hope you caught it JC. Still no sign of Skyfire, Skid-z or the other jet Dark-something...

How many episodes are there total? 68? i thought I read that somewhere...Can anyone confirm?

Jedi Clint
10-10-2001, 09:08 PM
Rollo,
Seeing as how we are probably watching the same Fox kids programming (You live in Iowa right?), I missed them yet again! I should fix my setup so that I can record from antenna as well as satellite, so that way when I am up to my knuckles in broken gas valves and rusted out sink drains, technology will be working as hard for me as I work on it.

Tricks,

Are there any toys in your Car Robots catalog that aren't in the show/ haven't been (and aren't scheduled to be) released in the RID line? If there are, it might mean that they will be released here eventually.

Sliver FBI
10-11-2001, 08:18 PM
Koji´s Dad was kidnapped by Megatron on the First Episode, it seems that he knew a lot of Energy Sources on Earth, so Megatron kidnapped him.

So far I´ve only seen Skid-z in one Episode, Tow Line in two episodes and the Build Team in one. I´ve seen the Decepticons a couple of times, like three or four episodes I think.

I have a question too, is Bruticus (the ugly Predacon thing, not the Gestalt) going to appear in the show as well? Or is he just one of those Hasbro creations?

JediTricks
10-12-2001, 08:35 AM
Bruticus was a left-over from the Beast Machines: Battle for the Spark line, many speculate it was left unfinished when the line died and was brought to the RID line in that unfinished state. It's not going to be on the show.

Clint, in the Japanese catalog, there's a pic of an unhappy kid playing with the G1 Fortress Maximus (known as "Brave Maximus" in Car Robots), there's no news of this coming to US shores (this one was a BIG toy in it's day). Other than that, everything announced for RID from the Car Robots line is coming to us (like Scourge and the Super Car Bros).

I've heard there were 62 or 64 eps of Car Robots, but I could be wrong. BWTF.com said there were only 36 episodes not counting 3 "clip" eps.

Rollo Tomassi
10-12-2001, 09:55 AM
Was the first episode the one on the super tanker? They find a temple under the water? Now I'm confused. Thanks for the Koji's dad explanation Sliver.

I always wanted a Fortress Maximus! I hope they bring him over eventually.

Also, did you know www.americandreamcomics.com has a letter writing campaign going on to get Hasbro to rerelease vintage Gen1 figures like they are doing over in Japan here in the states? They've got a generic letter and instructions on how to send it to Hasbro on their website. If you are interested in see ing these guys again (or even if you aren't...HELP US OUT!!) head over there and send in a copy of the form letter to Hasbro!!!

JediTricks
10-13-2001, 11:20 AM
I saw that ep with the Super Tanker which pivoted 90 degrees, it was an early ep, but NOT the first one according to bwtf.com, it's the fifth ep.

I had the Metroplex, it was awesome, so I can only assume Fort Maximus would be even better. I'd like to see this one as well, but to be honest, I don't really want a big rerelease of the G1 transformers, they're great toys for their time, but they're really only about nostalgia and not play.

Rollo Tomassi
10-13-2001, 11:58 PM
I had the Metroplex, it was awesome,

You always assume the ones you didn't have were cooler than the ones you have. I had Metroplex, Trypticon, SkyLynx, Powermaster Prime and gestalts Menasor, Computron, Bruticus, the Terrorcon gestalt (his name escapes me) and Defensor. But I never had Superion (or any of the Aerialbots) and wanted them and FM and Omega Supreme more than anything. I suppose if I had Fort Max instead of SkyLynx, I'd really want a SkyLynx right about now...

Have you seen those cool little keychains of Bumblebee and Cliffjumper? They are the actual Gen1 figures as keychains that transform and everything!! I wouldn't mind having one of those because my Bumblebee's head broke off 15 years ago and I want a new one...

JediTricks
10-15-2001, 09:04 AM
Yeah, I saw those keychains, I'm gonna buy 2 or 3 of that Bumblebee one, though none will be for actual keychain use. ;) The company that makes these makes a TON of keychains that get destroyed when you clip them to your keys.

Well, part 2 of Ultra Magnus was on TF this Saturday and it sure didn't seem better than part 1, and the fusion to create Omega Prime looked cool but didn't deliver as a character or as a plot point. Luckily, the toys do deliver. ;)

Eternal Padawan
10-22-2001, 11:38 AM
I just saw Wedge, Hightower, Grimlock, and Heavyload at Target. Not really sure if I should pick those up. What are you guys gonna do?

JediTricks
10-23-2001, 05:43 AM
I will buy them, but they're not for everybody. If you're on the fence, wait till you see a few reviews of them before buying. They'll be around for a while, so not having them right away probably won't be an issue.

Eternal Padawan
10-23-2001, 10:49 AM
"Robots in Disguise" doesn't really apply to the Predacons does it? 8 ft. tall metallic skunks? Are they really fooling anybody? I picked up Wedge and Hightower. His chestplate and both his legs popped off during transformation, they popped right back on, but damn these things are cheap.

back in the day, the Autobots had a few construction vehicles on their side. They were targetmasters I think. What were their names?

JediTricks
10-24-2001, 12:16 AM
I dunno, the Autobots seem fooled by the Preds in every episode. ;)

Rollo Tomassi
12-14-2001, 01:16 PM
Bumping this one back up...

I saw the three bullet trains finally. They look cool enough when you combine them, but individually, two of the three seem kind of lame in robot mode and all three look really bad in train mode. If I get these guys for the gestalt that's $50 I'm blowing. I'm not sure about that.

Scourge (or Black Convoy) is coming out in March...fianlly. he's the one i've been waiting for.

Do you think the toys would sell better if all their names resembled the original lines? Like Calling X-Brawn Trailbreaker or Ironhide. And calling Sideburn Bluestreak or something?

Jedi Clint
12-15-2001, 01:48 AM
I recently got the Decepticon "combiners". I grabbed an extra of the tank and opened it. It has been a long time since I cracked open anything with a Decepticon symbol on it. I saw the (I believe?) Autobot combiners as well. They looked alright. I am tempted to get them. The trains were there as well. I didn't look closely at them though......to be honest, I was hyped to see a new wave of DBZ action figures by Irwin on the pegs!!! That is a subject for another discussion though :).

JediTricks
12-16-2001, 07:51 AM
I picked up the Build Team a few weeks back, it's pretty cool, but it's definitely not as great as Optimus and Magnus. I also found one of the 3 bullet trains a week ago, it's an alright figure, but it's closer to $10 "Deluxe" level than the $15 "Mega" boxed level it's at. Also, since Hasbro dropped the clear elements on this one, it suffers from "cheap toy syndrome" where it looks cheap because of the bland plastic it's made of. I dig the idea of these though and can't wait to get the other 2.

El Chuxter
01-21-2002, 07:28 PM
Boy, this thread looks dead. :)

For those of you who keep up, I recently noticed two Megatron repaints: Cryotek (repaint of the TransMetals dragon) and Galvatron (repaint of RID Megatron). Anyone know what the story is on these?

And does Hasbro think it's a good idea to mix new sculpts with repaints? Oh, wait, that's their standard policy, ain't it? :D

GNT
01-21-2002, 09:28 PM
I've seen the new Transformers toys here as much as I want them they are all the same price (The 2 pack cars are the only thing here thats a different price),It was never like that back when they originally came out,totally greedy HASBRO :mad:

The 'Xir
01-21-2002, 11:01 PM
Wow, This is great to see that there are so many Transformer fans on this site!!!! But hey! I haven't followed the Cartoons since the last season of umm aawww ****, what the heck was it called you know with the vehicons, tankor, and etc! Holy momentary lapse of reason! I gotta stop smoking that wacky weed!:crazed:
Anyways my point being, i looked back a few posts to find out that the new 'toons are still on Saturday but at what time?!!!

JediTricks
01-22-2002, 02:10 AM
Cryotek is actually part of some Botcon comic book, and has been planned for release for a while. Since BM2 Megs was one of the best figures, a blue version seems like a pretty good idea.

As for Galvatron, this repaint is actually part of the RID series, I'm told, so like the Super Autobot Brothers that just came out, this one isn't just some random repaint (even though really, it is ;)).

Xir, you're thinking of Beast Machines, the last Transformers cartoon. RID, the current toon, is on Saturday mornings at 9 eastern, 8 central and pacific - and has been in reruns for well over a month, part of why I haven't been posting anything here lately.

However, Transformers: Armada is coming soon...

getoninja
01-22-2002, 03:24 AM
I still need a cyrotek,,,but not sure its worth $20.00??? If i wait,,target will have them on clearance soon,,hopfully??? But I still need the JRX train set. and finally saw the car brothers repaints at target. Didn't get those,,,I hate to rebuy repaints.
But what I really won't mind buying is a scourge,,and can't wait.
and the spychanger magnus and prime are out.

Check out transfandom.com forums,,its all realted to tfs and other cool stuff too!!!!!!! cool site!!!

Rollo Tomassi
01-22-2002, 07:24 AM
My (ahem) daughter got the Combatico..er...Decepticon combiners for christmas. I wouldn't have gotten them for myself since they're just rehashes but she likes the RID cartoon as much as she likes my tapes of the classic series so...

I don't think I am ever going to pick up any of those horrid Predacon figures. Magatron doesn't look like anything in ANY of his transformation modes. You gotta REALLY stretch the imagination to see a racecar there...(by the way, racecar spelled backwards is...never mind) And then they come out with repaints with even more ludicrous transformations. Wooly mammoth? That one thing looks like a giant hand. Ooh! Scary! The same goes for Sky Byte and the three pack. Skybyte might have been cool, but I saw the cartoon and that did it for me. The worst of all is Brutus or whatever he's called. Horrible.

I'll stick with the vehicles, thank you very much...

JediTricks
01-23-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by getoninja
I still need a cyrotek,,,but not sure its worth $20.00??? If i wait,,target will have them on clearance soon,,hopfully??? But I still need the JRX train set. and finally saw the car brothers repaints at target. Didn't get those,,,I hate to rebuy repaints.
But what I really won't mind buying is a scourge,,and can't wait.
and the spychanger magnus and prime are out.Cryotek's definitely worth it if you like the blue color, if you like big robotic dragons with a couple cool gizmos, that is $20 well-spent (better than $30 for 2 of the Bullet Trains IMO).

Also, Spychanger Scourge and X-brawn are also out, in a 2pack together.

JediTricks
01-24-2002, 07:13 AM
Spychanger Scourge and X-brawn are both in my hands right now, I found 'em at Target! I also found spychanger Optimus and Cryotek, but I was pretty broke.

Scourge is friggin' awesome, even if he is out of scale with the other Spychangers. Unlike spychanger Optimus and spychanger Magnus who have a few unpainted phoney wheels, Scourge's wheels, even the 2 phoney ones, are all painted, and they even match! Scourge's vehicle mode is a little pinched at the cab, but the purple Decepticon symbol on the hood more than makes up for any vehicle mode flaws. Transformation splits the hood and symbol in 2, and is very reminiscent of the CGI Hasbro Transformers commercials where Optimus transforms. Spychangers aren't complicated and Scourge is no exception, but his fold-up head takes a little patience. Robot mode looks like a miniature version of the character on the show, but little articulation. However, this figure is a total winner despite the lack of articulation.

X-brawn has a pretty accurate look too, but a little fatty compared to the show and the Deluxe figures. The robot mode is fairly accurate, but not quite as on-target as Scourge. The transformation is definitely something to write home about - not a lot to do compared to larger sized figures, but way cooler than any other spychanger.

Rollo Tomassi
01-24-2002, 12:19 PM
I want the full sized Scourge that come out in a month or two! Man, I've been itching for this one for six months or more...

Jedi Clint
01-24-2002, 12:38 PM
I've had him for what seems like a year now, except I couldn't read one word on his box! ;)

getoninja
01-24-2002, 03:12 PM
Yeah then I might get a cryotek. I know if I don't I will regret it.
I still debating if I should get a galvatron???? But I do need the JRX train set!!!! And I don't think $15 each is worth it. I wait till target put them clearance along with maybe galvatron????

and open al TFs,,I am not a MISB collector,,,,,TFs are ment to be opened.
and if I buy 2 of each. one to open, other for misb display. that will break my wallet. I rather have extra cash to get another figure,,or save it.

but I am still waitng for scourge!!!!!! Thats one of the last figures I will get from this line.

SithDroid
01-24-2002, 05:13 PM
First off I'd like to say that I am a Child of the 80's and the only Transformers for me are Generation 1. As for the new shows that spun-off of the original, I don't like them. Nothing will compare to the original. Even the action figures seem lame (Ex. Beast Wars, Beast Machines, etc..) Plus When did Grimlock mystically become a vehicle. He is supposed to be dinosaur. A shame that Transformers has turned into cr*p just like G.I.Joe(the toys at least).

Hopefully with the new G.I.Joe comic book we will soon see a new comic based on the Gen 1 Transformers. I can hope can't I.

JediTricks
01-24-2002, 11:08 PM
If you have RID Megatron, avoid RID Galvatron at all costs, the figure is a waste of your money unless you're a completist. Also, the white Galvatron is nowhere near as cool looking as the black Megatron IMO.

I too want the US full-sized version of Scourge (I can't afford the Japanese version), but I hope Hasbro doesn't mess that up.

mista_carrot
01-29-2002, 04:58 PM
I don't think I am ever going to pick up any of those horrid Predacon figures. Magatron doesn't look like anything in ANY of his transformation modes. You gotta REALLY stretch the imagination to see a racecar there...(by the way, racecar spelled backwards is...never mind) And then they come out with repaints with even more ludicrous transformations. Wooly mammoth? That one thing looks like a giant hand.

I'll stick with the vehicles, thank you very much...

I don't think Megatron's modes are THAT bad. I mean, come on, look at the original six-changer, Sixshot! When I was a kid he was cool, but looking back now, he looks like turd in all of his modes. With Sixshot, you really gotta stretch that imagination! Megatron beats Sixshot to a pulp!

Eternal Padawan
04-20-2002, 10:42 AM
Has anyone seen the new Scourge yet? I've been patiently searching TRU and haven't seen him yet. Is this thing cancelled or what's the deal?

JediTricks
04-21-2002, 10:27 PM
thanks to www.bwtf.com

http://www.transformers.com/product.asp?sku=26556&c=transformers

woo!

Jedi Clint
04-21-2002, 10:51 PM
Jedi Tricks,

If you had to guess, do you think that the import "Black Convoy", or "Scourge" would end up being worth more money.....using history as a guide?

Eternal Padawan
04-22-2002, 08:40 AM
Thanks for that link, JT. Anybody have a "when" on this thing? Last I read, it said "this spring" which in my mind is everything after February, but the only thing my Local TRU has is OPs and UMs clogging the bottom shelf and tons more up on top. no way there gonna open another case of these suckers unless hes the only one in there and I don't think that's the case (pardon the pun). So they'll be opening these up around what? August? November? Sheesh...

JediTricks
04-22-2002, 08:10 PM
"When": look for it within the next 30 days, start checking TONIGHT. As I understand it, "Spring" is like March (post Toy Fair) till end of June for retailers, but I keep hearing "late April" rumors on this one. Dunno how good that is though since it's now late April and NONE are on ebay yet.

Clint, Black Convoy will be worth more to super-collectors, I think it has a few stickers the US one won't and will be missing Hasbro's trademark oversized Decepticon logo. However, I think Scourge will be more desired by the general collector, so it really just depends on how you market it (and packaging, of course ;)).