PDA

View Full Version : Happy Buy Nothing Day!!!

mabudonicus
11-29-2002, 08:38 AM
I'm not sure if this is for the whole continent, but today is "buy nothing day" here, it's a form of harmless protest that a lot of my buddies and I try to support whenever possible...
It's simple, for one day no-one(ideally) buys ANYTHING...
It's symbolic more than anything.
So, if you can, support buy-nothing day today and just don't buy JACK.
Or not, whatever:):):)!!!

2-1B
11-29-2002, 11:15 AM
I'm not "buying jack" today ! :crazed:

Sorry, I just got up from a late night and turned on the radio to hear all the news reports re: shopping bonanzas - and apparently police had to be called to 2 local Wal-Marts due to arguing/fighting over the lines and merchandise. :rolleyes:

But uh, tomorrow I will do a bit of shopping . . . :D

The Overlord Returns
11-29-2002, 11:20 AM
If alcohol and dinner is included in "buy nothing" day, I am afraid I can't help you.....

It's friday, and that means Lots of beer, lovely pasta specials, and general carousing at my local pub.........

Beast
11-29-2002, 11:21 AM
I need to buy things today. I have RPG this weekend, and I need a new set of dice. I also need a notebook, something to eat, and a few other items for a weekend of gaming. Can I please be excused from the "Buy Nothing Day" festivities. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
11-29-2002, 11:34 AM
You should both be ashamed of yourselves! :crazed:

What's RPG? role play game?

Just curious . . .

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-29-2002, 12:05 PM
So, i work for Pepsi and i'm stationed at a K-mart for 6 hours bringing out pepsi for people to buy. I must really be screwed with the "Buy Nothing Day" Gods then, eh? :D

Beast
11-29-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
You should both be ashamed of yourselves! :crazed:

What's RPG? role play game?

Just curious . . .
Yeah, Role Play Game. Not sure which one, my DM has so many different books it's crazy. AD&D, Cyberpunk, Changeling, Werewolf, probably one of those. We've considered Shadowrun, but none of us really wanna try to remember calculus. It's been to long since our groups been together. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi Master Silas
11-29-2002, 01:41 PM
I just got up so I missed most of the early bargin bonanza. I dont have the patience to deal with all the people pushing, yelling etc.
LOL I'll pay more rather then deal with the crowd.

derek
11-29-2002, 01:44 PM
today is "buy nothing day" here, it's a form of harmless protest that a lot of my buddies and I try to support whenever possible...

what are you protesting against?

Beast
11-29-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by derek
what are you protesting against?
What do ya got? :evil: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
11-29-2002, 02:54 PM
hey mabudon, jar jar's got the right attitude for protesting!!!:crazed: can't have none of that
Or not, whatever attitude.;)

InsaneJediGirl
11-29-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
[B apparently police had to be called to 2 local Wal-Marts due to arguing/fighting over the lines and merchandise. :rolleyes:
[/B]

:rolleyes:Thats bad.A fleet of cops were stationed at my WM.3 per Exit/Entrance and 3 in the Audio/Electronics.Quite a site.

Well,I didnt buy anything,but my Grandpa bought a DVD/VHS Combo.Frankly..I didnt see any sales worth
killing myself over:D :D

2-1B
11-29-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
Frankly..I didnt see any sales worth
killing myself over:D :D

Well that's good - otherwise you couldn't enjoy your purchases ! :crazed:

EricRG
11-29-2002, 09:51 PM
I bought a calzone.

And an iced tea.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-29-2002, 10:05 PM
I bought 2 pepsis and mcdonalds for dinner. blast it!! :D

Darth Sidious
11-29-2002, 10:24 PM
I bought an Arena Battle Accessory Sit. This is the first time I have EVER seen an accessory set in a store, and I'll be damned if I was going to pass up that oppurtunity. :D

QLD
11-30-2002, 10:52 AM
I didn't even leave my house yesterday. However, that was mostly because I was still in a food coma, and I hate crowds.....oh...and I am broke.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-30-2002, 10:55 AM
Maybe it's me, but Buy Nothing Day might be more successful if it was moved to a different day, other than a day where millions of shoppers are stomping over each other to get the best deal on Cuisinarts at K-Mart or Wal-Mart or whereever.

If I'm not mistaken, this was a protest day against the many companies and corporations that employ dubious practices such as sweatshops, child labor, and such and such.

The 'Xir
11-30-2002, 11:17 AM
You know what? Looking back I don't think I've ever shopped the day after thanksgiving! I mean who the hell would wanna put up with that insanity? Well I guess a lot of people or there'd be no insanity right? Not me however, they can have their blue light specials and $5 electric toothbrushes...?...I'm not sure if even I know what that means!
Heres to kicking back with a few buds and brews and doing nothing all day except watchin' FOOTBALL!!! Oh and those TWINS!!! (actually I like the brunette cheerleader in the tunnel who looks back over her shoulder at the end of those commercials, better than those twins! She's HOT!!!) :D

scruffziller
12-03-2002, 02:34 PM
Neither did I. People are only truly stupid in large groups. And there was a LARGE mass in at WAL MART at 6 AM on Friday. I have never seen the parking lot so full.

InsaneShiningFreak
12-03-2002, 03:20 PM
They need new star wars figures and i would buy more?

mabudonicus
12-04-2002, 09:40 AM
Right, just cleared the field after putting in a lengthy post, here's the jist..
Derek, it's a protest against the "machine" basically....
It's symbolic cause it would have to be done regularly and by many more folks to have any effect at all......
Imagine if no one bought, say mcdonalds all day monday, forevermore??? In a small way, things would have to change....
Eventually, it may lead to (and this is all "what dreams may come", I kind of can't see it actually coming to pass) peaplo generally re-evaluating their positions in the whole "mounds of junk that YOU NEED!!!!" cycle which is killing our planet quickly and making a lot of "less fortunate" countries (and folks within North American countries as well) real angry like, not to mention real poor

DahrJin
12-04-2002, 09:43 AM
When it comes to SW stuff, buy nothing day seems to be everyday for me anymore.:crazed:

CloneTrooperMace
01-05-2003, 09:36 PM
Nice Sig