PDA

View Full Version : Trout fishing

Jedi Master Silas
11-29-2002, 07:11 PM
Does anyone trout fish in here??? I have some questions if anyone has any knowledge of trout in here.

LTBasker
11-29-2002, 08:57 PM
Mmm... trout slappings.

/me looks for someone to slap around a bit with a large trout!

(It's an IRC thing)

stillakid
11-29-2002, 10:57 PM
Nee, nee, Nnneeee!

Tycho
12-02-2002, 01:55 AM
"Grow excessive body hair and run around naked in the woods near a river, never cut your nails, and jump into the stream in the spring time and stab fish with your fingers while you growl menacingly..."

If they lock you up, make sure it is during Winter when they catch you. That way you'll have a hole to hybernate in!

Jedi Master Silas
12-02-2002, 09:51 AM
WTF???

DahrJin
12-02-2002, 10:26 AM
I fish, and fish all the time.

What do you need to know?

El Chuxter
12-02-2002, 03:14 PM
Ah, this reminds me of a wonderful book by a chap named Brautigan. Oh, and I have always wanted to write a post that ends with the word "mayonnaise."

:D

Jedi Master Silas
12-04-2002, 08:32 PM
Are you serious Dahr?

Jedi Master Silas
12-05-2002, 12:33 PM
I was just seeing if anyone trout fished in here but I guess folks thought I wasnt serious. :confused: :confused: :confused:

DahrJin
12-05-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Silas
Are you serious Dahr?

Yes, I do fish quite often.

Fly fish, spinners and bait. Been known to spend the better part of 24 hrs. in a boat trolling a lake too.

You got so much greif, because this is a SW board after all, and some people mock what they don't enjoy or understand.

El Chuxter
12-05-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Ah, this reminds me of a wonderful book by a chap named Brautigan. Oh, and I have always wanted to write a post that ends with the word "mayonnaise."

:D

No one knows what I'm talking about? I'm disappointed. One of the great American novels, it is.

Jedi Master Silas
12-08-2002, 05:28 PM
True Dahr...very true... I was just wondering what tactics other fishers use for picky rainbows and browns. Have you ever had any luck with salmon eggs or power bait??

DahrJin
12-09-2002, 09:55 AM
Yeah they both work well.

Power Bait is good, but you have to figure out what colors are working where you are fishing.

Eggs are always a safe bet as well.

You do any fly fishing?

If not, you should try it out. Once you hook a fis on a fly rod, you'll never want to bait fish again.

Jedi Master Silas
12-09-2002, 05:22 PM
I love to fly fish but this is my first year trying it with trout. I've caught many panfish and largemouth on fly or streamer and I love the fight. Here in West Virginia we have an abundance of mountain streams filled with native trout but those little devils are tricky :) I've always been a bass fisher but I've gotten the fever for the small streams. It's quiet, clean and beautiful.

DahrJin
12-09-2002, 06:26 PM
Yes, once you catch the fever, you can never get rid of it.

Here in Utah, we have a couple of the best trout rivers in the country, and I've spent my fair share of time on 'em.

Never really had the chance to go bass fishin, but h ave always wanted to give it a try.

Jedi Master Silas
12-09-2002, 06:51 PM
Bass fishing is nice. We've fished for largemouth, smallies, hybrid and hybrid striped. They all put up a nice fight but the the hybrids are bigger and can really give a run for your money.

DahrJin
12-10-2002, 09:41 AM
I have fished for wiper. A HYBRID of stripped bass and walleye. Now those fish can fight.

But again, I prefer stream fishing for trout over all.

Jedi Master Silas
12-10-2002, 04:12 PM
WHAT THE HECK???? I've never heard of a "wiper" before. A walleye and striper hybrid??? Wow we dont have those here. I'd love to see a photo if you would send me one via the email or post one here. We have a northern pike and Muskie cross called a tiger muskie....also a sauger and walleye hybrid called a saugeye. We have a hybrid trout called a tiger trout also.

DahrJin
12-10-2002, 04:16 PM
I'll see if I can find a pic to post.

Here ya go.

http://ww2.basspro.com/media/outdoormag/julaug99/hybrid.htm

Jedi Master Silas
12-10-2002, 06:30 PM
Thanks so much! They are nice looking fish!

DahrJin
12-11-2002, 10:15 AM
No problem.

They are nice fish, and a blast to catch. Strong and like to fight.

Jargo
12-22-2002, 02:39 PM
Earnest Hatty-chude, is there and Earnest Hatty-Chude on the boards? No, no Earnest Hatty- Chude here sorry.

We call my mother Trouty. No reason why we just do. The only kind of fishing that's any good is bare handed fishing where you sit on the bank and reach into the shallows and grab the fish by hand. Or using explosives to bring the whole lot to the surface in one go. That's the best kind of fishing. BOOM!!!!!! there's my dinner all righty! :crazed: :D

sith_killer_99
12-22-2002, 02:48 PM
I was born in Minnesota and grew-up around fishing most of my life. I personally do not care for fishing.

However, my uncle still live in MN and spends a lot of time fishing, especially ice-fishing, he has his own ice house and goes out all the time.

I just don't have the patients for it I guess.

I prefer hunting. Or war games. There's nothing like playing Opfor in the field, setting up an ambush, waiting for hours on end, in the rain and the cold. Then silently the enemy moves ever so carefully into your kill zone and....BAMB open fire!

hehehe...they never even had a chance. :evil:

Jedi Master Silas
12-22-2002, 06:49 PM
I dont care much for hunting. Although I do enjoy my firearms. Whats Opfor??

Tonysmo
01-04-2003, 05:52 AM
If your having trouble catching trout, you might try ( if you have waders ) while in the stream, kick up a lil bit of the gravel. dont overdo it of course, but as you walk, kick up a bit of the bottom. let your fly float down with the dust. not only are there small insects you might not see, but the trout do and they go nuts and more than likely will strike your fly as well.. Trout worms work really well for me as well. the red and white ones..
My fly rod has dust on it.. maybe Ill pull it out this summer and give it another shot. I normally fish with an ultralight no matter what Im fishing for..

wow... other fishermen in the forums... Im so giddy..

Jedi Master Silas
01-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Do you have any suggestions for fishing lakes for trout? Our state just stocked several of the lakes with browns, goldens and rainbows and I havent had good luck with trying to get the trout to bite good in a still water (lake) setting.

I love fly fishing to although I have only tryed it for trout one time (becasue I just started this summer) I have caught several pan fish and some largemouth on fly.

aceguide
01-07-2003, 04:28 PM
To fly fish for trout on a lake you are best to be floating - boat or float tube. Practice your cast as without moving water you will make your presence known.

I am a long-time fly fisherman and love every bit of it. Gald to see a discussion here about it.

Jedi Master Silas
01-07-2003, 10:09 PM
I didnt mean fly fishing on a lake. I was talking more about fishing from the bank for trout using spinning gear. I like fly fishing also but I dont think I'd have much luck in a lake. :)

DahrJin
01-08-2003, 09:45 AM
Like aceguide said, if you're going to fly fish on a lake, float tube or a pontoon boat are the way to go.

I have used my float tube several times, and love it. A little more work, but worth it.

I still can't justify buying a pontoon boat, well at least to my wife that is. :D

aceguide
01-08-2003, 02:27 PM
You can have great luck fly fishing on a lake - even from the shore. I prefer my fly rod in any situation - bass are especially fun. A frog pattern or minow streamer and you're in business.

Jedi Master Silas
01-08-2003, 04:50 PM
I've had alot of luck with largemouth bass using streamers.....and I've got panfish by the dozen. Have you ever tryed catching smallies on fly??? I havent yet but I saw a fly version of a crawdad that folks say they have had success with? Do you tie your own flies??

DahrJin
01-08-2003, 05:07 PM
Yes, well I try to tie my own.

I have only been doing it for a year or so, so I'm still in the learning phase. It's a rush to catch a fish on something you created with your own hands.

Jedi Master Silas
01-08-2003, 05:30 PM
Do you have more problems with the nymphs or the dry flies??? I've been making streamers for bass for acouple years but I've only been making flies for trout for 6 months or so. I find the nymphs harder myself.

DahrJin
01-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Depends on the pattern.

Nymphs are a little more simple for me. Not any real hackel or wings to worry about getting just right. Then again, a few nymphs have a butt load of legs, so they can be a pain in the arse as well.

Oh well, it all in good fun, and something I'll be doing until I die.

Jedi Master Silas
01-09-2003, 01:11 AM
Have you ever seen those guys who go salty fishing with fly gear????

DahrJin
01-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Yeah, it's one of my life goals to go fly fishing for Tarpon before I die.

Can't imagine what it would be like to land a 500 pound fish on a fly rod. :crazed:

aceguide
01-09-2003, 10:53 AM
Lots of good discussion!

There are a lot of crawdad patters available - from a streamer to a very detailed looking one. They actual work really well on rainbows too.

I have not tied too many flies on my own. It's tough. As I mostly fish for the more discriminate trout in rivers it's hard to get the patter 100% correct. Although I've had a couple of successes.

One I did some salt water casting for blues. Tough to keep them on - that's a lot of fish. But bone fishing on salt flats is my dream. They say they are one of the best fighting fish there is.

I love the Outdoor Life show with Andy Mills. He loves to hook into those whales. I wonder what weight his rod is?!?

Jedi Master Silas
01-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Hey Ace I love the outdoor channel! We refer to Brotha' Bill all the time (Bill Dance)

Tarpon on fly?!!!! What a rush that would be..that has a certain amount of fear for me..LOL

One of my fishing dreams, yes I have many, is to go to the Amazon and slay some Peacock Bass!!! Then head up to Alaska and try my hand at fly fishing salmon.

Andy Mills is the guy who fly fishes for everything right? If thats the guy I'm thinking about he was fly fishing for Marlin on one of the shows I was watching!

DahrJin
01-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Marlin on a fly, now that would be something in itself....

All this talk about fishin' has given me the fever. Looks like I may have to head out this weekend for some action.

Jedi Master Silas
01-09-2003, 06:26 PM
LOL...we go the fishing fever to..we went Monday :)

Tonysmo
01-10-2003, 03:46 AM
never fished for trout on a lake.. Id like to try. My fly rod has dust on it as I normally use my ultra light. I tried my hand at tying flies.. it was fun, and I have made a few... most of the rainbows Ive caught have been off of woollybuggers and trout worms. grrr.. now I feel the need to go fishing as well.. thanks alot.. Peacock bass would be fun to catch, and Im almost certain they have them in the florida everglades.. so you dont have to travel to the amazon.. although that would be very cool.. Im still waiting to catch my 1st brown. With all this talk about fly fishing though, Ill have dust off the fly rod and give it another shot.. maybe try it out on bass lake 1st, just to get the hang of it again... nothing like having other fly fisherman look at you with that " stupid newbie " look... I do think this year I will get myself a belly boat as well.. my jon boat is nice, but Id like to scale down justa bit.... wow.. fishing fever in January... didnt think it was going to happen so fast...

DahrJin
01-10-2003, 09:43 AM
I have caught my fair share of Brown Trout, but the most fun is latching into a large Cut Throat on a medium action, 9' fly rod.

Nothing better in the land of fly fishing. They hit so hard it actually makes your line SNAP, and sounds like your rods going to break.

aceguide
01-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Andy Mills is the guy who does nothing but fly fishing - and yes, I've seen more than one HUGE marlin pulled onto the boat from a fly.

Browns are cool. They tend to hang out deeper than rainbows. Sometimes if the hatch is really good they will be up top. There is NOTHING better than a strike on a dry fly (OK - there are some things that are better - but it's close). Fever - heck - I have a sickness now!

Where are the best places you guys have ever fished. My whole life I've been able to fish the North Platte in Southern Wyoming. It rocks. Lot's of fish and no crowds!

DahrJin
01-10-2003, 10:27 AM
I've fished in Wyoming, the Wind River, sulfur creek, the Little Popo Aggie River and numerous other places. The best was in Thermopolis where the Hot Springs run the same temp all year, so the fish feed all the time. The fish are huge, but their heads are so small because their bodies grow so fast.

Here in Utah, we have some of the best trout fishing in the country. The Green River and the Provo River just to name a couple.

I think maybe one day soon, I'll have to take one of those guided trips to Alaska. You know the ones where they fly you in for a couple days to fish your self silly, and then pick you up and fly you out again.

aceguide
01-10-2003, 01:42 PM
My brother has fished the Green and swears by it.

From folks that have done the Alaska trip it sounds like a must. Pulling in huge hogs all day - too good to be true. Some of the outfitters will even smoke the catch for you and send it later. YUM!

DahrJin
01-10-2003, 01:55 PM
Mmmmm..smoked fish!

By all means, the Green is a must if you ever get the chance to fish it.

We try to make it there at least 3 times a month during the summer season alone.

Jedi Master Silas
01-10-2003, 02:40 PM
Peacock Bass in the Fla Everglades??? Oh man I've never heard that before...I'm going to have to dig around and look for some info.
My husband has been all of the US and he said that Alaska is awesome. The fishing possiablilitys are endless. The salmon are strong and after one good one you'll be feeling it for the rest of the day.
We go up to the Chicago area several times a year and they dont call that area (Illinois-Wisconsin) The land of a thousand lakes for nothing. My husband and I hit rivers, ponds and lakes. The Great Lakes, Lake Michigan, has tons of salmon. The last time we a couple months ago the Salmon were coming in and they were HUGE!!! I've seen the biggest Rainbow trout of my entire life there also. The Fox Lake System is good. Its amazing up there. Here in the mountains of West Virginia IMO we have some of the best trout fishing in the eastern USA. We have tons of discovered and undiscovered Native Brooke Trout streams. We have reproducing Browns and Rainbows which are NOT native fish to this area. Which is amazing to me. There are trout streams everywhere which are beautiful and we West Virginians for the most part protect out Trout and our streams which make them very good fisheries. You guys should give WVA a try. :)

DahrJin
01-10-2003, 02:59 PM
WVA Sounds like a nice place to trout fish. I've never fished anywhere in the east, but have always wanted to.

I worked in Branson MO for 2 months one time, but was too busy to ever get in any fishin'. :mad:

Have you ever fished for lake trout?

I've fished Flaming Gorge, where the record LT is like 52 pounds. Never hooked into anything that large yet, but that's why there's always a next time.

aceguide
01-10-2003, 05:37 PM
I went to school in the NY Finger Lakes Region in Geneva NY - "Lake Trout Capital of the World"

Fun fish. Definitely a different catch.

DahrJin
01-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I prefer stream/river fishing versus lake fishing myself. I get to bored just sittin there trolling for hours, but the prize is worth the wait if you can stand the boredom.

Jedi Master Silas
01-10-2003, 07:06 PM
I''d MUCH rather fish a stream in the middle of no where. I hate lake fishing for trout. I have two lakes very close to house that the only reason I do.
Yes we've fished for Lake Trout when we go on our trips North to Chicago on The Great Lakes...mostly Lake Michigan. That Lake holds some MONSTER lake trout. I havnet caught one there yet but I've sure seen them. The last time we went up there I honestly have to say I've never seen so many big fish jump in my whole life

Well if you ever come this far east pm or email me if you have time to fish...we could take you on a good hike to some beautiful streams full of browns, rainbows and brookies.

Tonysmo
01-11-2003, 03:21 AM
Id like to clarify, I am ALMOST certain Ive seen reports on there being peacock bass in Fl. but I may have been sleepy.. I have fished most of my life in Missouri, and a few nice spots in Texas. Mostly bass fishing and salt water fishing in Texas. I do alot more bass fishing than trout fishing but have the same excitement for both, so niether outweighs the other.. There are a few Ozark streams where rainbows are present. Im semi close to a few.. there are others Id love to visit ( white river ) but havent had the chance yet. I do like to lake fish as well as walking the streams. Lake fishing isnt boring for me, as most of the time Im concentrating on outfishing whoever Im fishing with..

Salt water fishing was very appealing to me, wish I still had access ( living in Missouri now ). I enjoyed fishing and not knowing what I was catching. Such a variety in saltwater.. Ive fished Conroe lake, Lake livingston, and the San Jacento river, as well as the gulf of Mexico. All very cool places in Texas. Id like to visit lake Fork? I think thats the one with all the record size bass in it. ahhhhh.... to think its only January... must... get... out... and.. go.. fishing...

Jedi Master Silas
01-11-2003, 07:06 PM
We have never fished in Missouri but I lived in Texas for awhile several years ago. Texas is blessed with the big monster Flatheads. They seem to have the best Flatty fishing I've ever incountered. I fished Lake Livingston also. I caught several nice LM bass in TX also. Tony your from St Louis??? We have been there many times. Have you ever gone North to the Fox Lakes or Chain O Lakes? Thats one of the best all around sport fish places I've ever been. You can catch anything. The only draw back is that you pretty much need to be fishing from a boat. Most of the lake side shore line is private property.

Tonysmo
01-16-2003, 03:39 AM
I am originally from Texas, but I have lived in St. Louis "all my life "

I havent gone North to far, maybe as far as Troy Missouri.. Havent fished either of the places you mentioned. I live south, nto deep south, but south, and when I head to a nice fishin hole, its down towards the Lake of the Ozarks. There are plenty of small rivers and small lakes in between. Small mouth bass, trout, and bass and crappie lakes.. Sometimes I think I take fishing to the extreme though... as in trying to fish in-between paintball games.. long story..