PDA

View Full Version : Alright, Smartypants......

Emperor Howdy
11-29-2002, 11:26 PM
Ok,

So, I show up this morning to work and this little kid runs up to me....."Hey, can you come help my mom?"

I said, "Sure kid, is she good looking?"

No........just kidding.....

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway, it seems she went out shopping today like every other woman in America and bought a 27" Symphonic T.V. and an APEX DVD. My first thought was, "What crappy choices"....but hey....a single woman on a budget....who am I to judge.

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway, she didn't have an S-video input on the T.V., so it was just the one video/2 audio lines.

Here's the problem: the T.V. had no menu option of changing over to the DVD. On my T.V., you just switch to Video 1 (or Component) and viola.....but this piece of crap had nothing....even on the remote. So, who here is familiar with cheap-o T.V.s and can tell me what I was doing wrong? :confused:

.....and yes....she WAS good-looking.....so imagine how disappointed I was in my failure.... :mad:

JediTricks
11-29-2002, 11:56 PM
On the Symphonic VCR I have, you simply go down the channels past 2, so it's like "ch4 --> ch3 --> ch2 --> aux"

Emperor Howdy
11-30-2002, 12:08 AM
errrrr....

ok, so what you're saying is the T.V. might do the same? Start going down the channels on the T.V.?

2-1B
11-30-2002, 02:14 AM
Every child needs a father . . . :kiss:

Yep, I've seen units that channel down into Line 1, Line 2, etc. :)

QLD
11-30-2002, 02:52 AM
Some TV's also have the video channel on Channel 00.

Eternal Padawan
11-30-2002, 10:12 AM
It's a scam! That SAME kid asked me for help LAST WEEK! :eek: Now I'm missing $5000 and I can't find my favorite pair of pants! :cry:

2-1B
11-30-2002, 12:23 PM
Who needs pants? :confused:

The 'Xir
11-30-2002, 12:32 PM
I can't remember, but no matter what, I think it sounds like she's going to need a tuner with channel selctors none the less!
If she's that hot sounds like you might be out $100 bucks!!! ;)

Ahh heck, you can look in your local papers' classified section, there's probably one in their for $30-50 Bucks

The Overlord Returns
11-30-2002, 02:07 PM
Whatever you do, DO NOT tell her you came to a bunch of star wars geeks for advice...for at least 2 months... ;)

Darth Cruel
11-30-2002, 09:41 PM
Overlord is right! Keep the secret until you have her in Love with you, THEN spring it on her whenit is too late for her to do anything about it.

And I have had TVs that channel 3 acts as the auxilliary as well.

WAIT! What are we saying...if one of us gets it right...it could make us look GOOD! But tell us befor you tell her!

sith_killer_99
11-30-2002, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I would go with what they said, try to channel down first.

BTW, did you get her digits?

2-1B
12-01-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
BTW, did you get her digits?

Why would he need her digits? He already knows where she lives!
Howdy, maybe she could use some further . . . uh . . . landscaping work done? :crazed:

Dar' Argol
12-01-2002, 01:05 AM
Ok, here's the real deal. JT is right. When you channel down past 02 it will say "AUX". As long as there is an Audio/Video jacks on the back, there is an AUX channel.

So there was no TV/VIDEO option on the TV??

JON9000
12-01-2002, 01:36 AM
When I worked in consumer electonics, we cried when we had to stock a gazillion Symphonic products in the Christmas season. We knew we would be seeing most of them again with in 6 months! I will never forget the 5 disc changer. Weighed about 10 ounces. Kinda scary!

Emperor Howdy
12-01-2002, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
Ok, here's the real deal. JT is right. When you channel down past 02 it will say "AUX". As long as there is an Audio/Video jacks on the back, there is an AUX channel.

So there was no TV/VIDEO option on the TV??

That is correct, sir. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. Well, not actually the weirdest thing......for instance, I remember one time I was in a gas station restroom, and.......wait a minute! This isn't the Cellblock! :D

Indeed, Overlord......only a special few know my "secret obsession". Then again.....just tonight this very hot cashier checked me out when I bought the Holiday Set. I don't know what the heck is a matter with me. I guess I need to accept that I'm a completist. There is NO other excuse for buying this lame thing. Has anybody seen, or God forbid, BOUGHT this yet? Have you looked at it? No...no....listen to me: Have you looked at it?......doesn't it make you just say, "Why?" Anyway, I would've used the old woman to check out, but her line was a lot longer. So....thinking what the hell......I'll never see the chick again....I walk up holding the dumb set. Instead of just scanning it and tossing it in the bag, she stops...looks at it....and says, "Oh my God" and starts laughing. Then she looks up at me and says, "You must really like Star Wars". Ok.....so.....where as usually I might say, "Look redneck.....just shut up and ring me up"......I had a wierd creep-scene and replied, "Not hardly....it's for my nephew". My God, I don't even HAVE a nephew! I totally pulled a Judas.

So, the moral of the story is: The Holiday Set is SO lame, that it causes die-hard collectors to make up stories when girls check them out at WalMart.

Anyway, I won't be back at those apartments until Monday. I'd imagine someone has already helped her......but if not, certainly you guys won't mind if I now "magically figure it out" and take all the credit, right? :happy: I'll send all of you juicy stories and pictures, fair enough? :Pirate:

JediTricks
12-01-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
And I have had TVs that channel 3 acts as the auxilliary as well. I've never heard of a TV that does that since some areas use channel 3 for broadcast programming (which is why video game systems and VCRs let you choose between signal on ch 3 or 4).

As DA said, if there are RCA jacks for video/audio in, then there is an aux channel. If however there are no RCA jacks, then you have to get a dedicated RF switch (sorry, can't use the one that came with your Super Nintendo) to put the sound & image on channels 3 or 4. You can find this switch almost nowhere except Wal*mart these days, it's either $35 or $25 depending on the store and from Phillips or RCA.

Jargo
12-02-2002, 06:36 PM
God it stinks of testosterone in here! Someone open a damn window. Hand me that yellow pages will ya, gonna call the fumigators in....... :dead:

Emperor Howdy
12-03-2002, 12:06 AM
Well, there are two things I should mention:

1) I stopped by the girl's house today. I knocked..she answered...said hello....and I blurt out, "Hey, well, I think I know what the problem was". She says, "Oh, yeah...what?" I, going on JediTricks and Dar Argol's advice say, "Well, we kept trying to get it on Channel three...we needed to change the channel down to video, auxillary, or whatever..that's the way those T.V.s work." At this point I'm feeling like the prrrrretty smart hero when she replies, "Actually, you just needed to push the "GAME" button on the remote control. I figured it out a few minutes after you left....but thanks anyway". As the door shut in my face, the word DORK magically appeared on my forehead. I just wanted to say to my friends JediTricks and Dar Argol: "Thanks".

2) Under strict policy, I should have named this thread: "Alright, Smartypants......Woooooooooooooooooooo!"

:Pirate: ........Yeaaaaargh!

JediTricks
12-03-2002, 12:29 AM
Wow, 2 emperors back to back! :D

Howdy, I'm sorry to hear you have been branded, but in all fairness, I simply assumed you looked for those anomalous buttons since it's different for each brand - on a friend's Panasonic it's "Video", on the old Hitachi it's "Aux", on the Sharp it's "TV/Video", yet on the Magnavox I simply push zero twice.

BTW, "woooo!" indeed, my friend. Some day, we shall all wear pants, and on that day, pants will truly be "smart". :D ;)

Jargo
12-03-2002, 03:15 PM
Back to back they faced each other drew their swords... and.... f.... oh-oh. Better not go there...... :eek:

:sur: *whistles theme to 'The good the bad and the ugly' while sloping off nonchalantly*

scruffziller
12-03-2002, 03:29 PM
HA HA!!!!!!:D

SYMPHONI-CRAP!!!!! HEE HEE!!!!

I seen every TOM, DICK, HARRY, SHEMP, JOE, CURLY, MOE, and LARRY...... punching each other out to load at least 3 of these crap TVs into their pick'em up TRUCKS....... HERR!!!! HERR!!! at our WAL-MART last Friday. Every cart loaded with crap that will be brought back the next day after it is used.

Dar' Argol
12-06-2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
"Actually, you just needed to push the "GAME" button on the remote control. I figured it out a few minutes after you left....but thanks anyway". As the door shut in my face, the word DORK magically appeared on my forehead. I just wanted to say to my friends JediTricks and Dar Argol: "Thanks".

Well, you should have seen that button and thought to try it. Its not our fault the "DORK" word appeared on your head:D. Besides, if I was there to back you up, I don't think the door would have slamed:rolleyes: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . HA HA HAH AH HA HA HA HAH AH AH HAH HA HA HAH! Heck, I couldn't even say that with a straight face:D.