PDA

View Full Version : whoops, disappearing/reappearing antennae

JediTricks
11-29-2002, 11:35 PM
Pardon me if this has been discussed before, I looked but did not find.

In Ep 2, after Zam shoots her assassin droid out of the skies, Anakin catches Obi-Wan on the back of the speeder he "borrowed". When Obi-Wan slides into the passenger seat of the speeder, he slides between the 2 headrests and when he does so, that area is completely smooth. However, before and after that scene, there are 2 rather large antennae sticking out right there. The strangest part is they seemed to be physical changes to the prop from what I saw on the Ep 2 DVD documentaries, so they had to actually build 2 different sections of the speeder (or worse, 2 different speeders) for the shot - did they know about this change before they started or did it come up on the spot? Did they simply want to gloss over the change or did they try to think a way around this slight continuity problem?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-30-2002, 11:10 AM
Perhaps it only looked good if Obi-Wan fell onto that part. It would be more believable than if he fell right into the seat, or about anywhere else on the ship. I noticed the antenna thing too, so maybe they got rid of them for that scene. Or maybe Anakin pushed the handy antenna-retractor-in-a-blink-of-an-eye button. :D

LTBasker
11-30-2002, 05:58 PM
Well considering Obi-Wan was most likely using the force to help him capture the speeder, he could've also bent them down or something for when he was landing and then after he climbed in, he let go and they went back to normal. Though if they're that easily bendable then having them right there doesn't really make sense.. One quick stop and they'll come down and slap ya over the head. ;)

stillakid
11-30-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks

Did they simply want to gloss over the change or did they try to think a way around this slight continuity problem?

What continuity problem? There are no continuity problems with the Prequels. :eek: What are you implying? :confused:

;)

stillakid
11-30-2002, 07:05 PM
Actually, I think that the antennae went to the same place as the tray of blue liquid that Padme brings Anakin on Tatooine (just prior to his tantrum). ;)

JediTricks
12-01-2002, 04:39 PM
I'm not 100% convinced the missing antennae were a practical (real world) element anymore, I watched it on a bigger screen last night and it *might* have been an all-cg shot. Either way, Obi-Wan could have pulled himself up over the headrest instead, though I think that might have looked weird.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this though. :)

Basker, the Death Star has no railing near the big pits, so why couldn't the speeder's antennae put your eyes out when you stop? ;)

JabbaJohnL, that'd be the same button Padme pushes to turn on the holonet projector AND bring up maps, right? :D

JEDIpartner
12-01-2002, 06:01 PM
I was gonna say... there are continuity problems all over the entire saga!!

JediTricks
12-03-2002, 12:46 AM
.. so? This is another one! :D Burtt actually makes a few comments about continuty being the editor's job on the E2 commentary. He admits to fudging it a bit with a few issues, but no mention of this one - did he missed it or they don't wanna talk about it or something else?

LTBasker
12-03-2002, 01:07 AM
They could've been removed I guess just for the scene, in the Commentary they say they lengthened Anakin's lightsaber in the bedroom scene (:eek: j/k) so that it would be visually believable the blade reached the Kouhuns.

JediTricks
12-03-2002, 02:15 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant by "fudging it", there was another instance of that on the commentary track, IIRC. But that's fairly minor compared to removing ALL of the fairly noticable antennae off the ship.

JEDIpartner
12-03-2002, 10:06 AM
I'll take missing antennae over, say, a fluctuating number of engines on a starship. :D

stillakid
12-03-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
They could've been removed I guess just for the scene, in the Commentary they say they lengthened Anakin's lightsaber in the bedroom scene (:eek: j/k) so that it would be visually believable the blade reached the Kouhuns.

They lengthened his, er um, "lightsaber" for the bedroom scene?!:eek:

JediTricks
12-03-2002, 09:19 PM
Number of engines changing, you say? What speaketh you on this matter?

JediTricks
12-05-2002, 12:56 AM
Hey, I just remembered another one of these "we didn't see nuttin'" continuity things. During the final lightsaber battle, we see a close-up of Obi-Wan holding his saber as he battles Dooku, but the hilt he's holding is his regular Ep 1/Ep 2 saber with the black rings, and when we go to the next shot, Obi-Wan is holding the loaner-hilt that was tossed to him (and it appears he bends it during this shot). I think this is because part of the saber battle was shot when the script had Obi-Wan and Anakin not losing their sabers (which is also why the Hangar Anakin figure has his regular saber as well as the green one).

neonblade
12-07-2002, 05:50 PM
i watched it and....................

THE ANTENNAE DO DISSAPEAR. UOU CAN CLEARLY SEE OBI WON CATH THE BACK OF THE SPEEDER AND SLIDE SMOOTHLY DOWN INTO THE SEAT. I THINK IT WOULD HURT A TAD TO GET NAILED IN THE PRIVATES WITH RADIO ANTENNAE. CHECK IT LOL

LOVE PEACE AND CHICKEN GREASE

NBLADE