PDA

View Full Version : Extra Holiday Help at TRU, isn't much help at all

Turbowars
12-01-2002, 02:07 AM
Well today I got a tip that a TRU about 20 minutes from me had the 12" Zuckuss wave. I called to place a set on hold. I asked if they had a 12" SW Zuckuss figure and the guy on the phone right away said NO. I said what? He told me they don't carry 12" SW figures. I said a friend just told me they were there. He replies, Oh well that might have been in the morning. I asked him to at least look for me and he said he was right in front of the SW stuff. Well then I asked to talk to a manager and finally I talked to a guy that said, oh yeah I'll hold a set for you. I said thank you, but why was I told that they didn't have them, he said the holiday help doesn't know the store very well yet. I thanked him and drove over and got my figures. I sure would have liked to meet the guy that said they did carry them and show him where they were. I remember when I got my 1st job and when I didn't know the answer to a question a asked. I guess the really don't care. Oh well at least I got my Zucky!

Emperor Howdy
12-01-2002, 05:04 AM
Please don't say Zucky.

Turbowars
12-01-2002, 11:27 AM
Zucky? Why not say Zucky? Zucky is my favorite Bounty Hunter. Why I remember when Zucky was 4-LOM, but I still loved him even though they use 4-LOM's name for Zucky. Now that I have Zucky I'm complete. I might need another Zucky to open, so Zucky could stand with the other Hunters. Oh and why don't you like Zucky?;) Hey, whats up with your dog collar rack? LOL;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-01-2002, 11:57 AM
heheehhehehe Zucky!!! That's almost as bad as "annie" (shudders sideshow Bob style)

The local Meijer had Zuckuss, Dengar and the Imperial Officer. If i collected the 12'' figs, i would've been happy. :D

2-1B
12-01-2002, 12:16 PM
This thread zucks.

fourtwo
12-01-2002, 01:14 PM
agreed. you have high expectations. that store has a lot of merchandise in it to learn. not everyone gets it right away. took me a few days to learn it all.

Turbowars
12-01-2002, 01:29 PM
that maybe true, but you just don't say "No" right off the bat to something you have no clue about. If I had done that at my job I would be canned the 1st day. Don't worry, I didn't turn the guy in, not that it would have mattered anyway. I look at it this way. You get paid to do a job, so you should do your job. Very simple. The job at TRU is 100% customer service. Yesterday I didn't get any service until I asked for a manager. Now a manager should not really have to speak to a customer if he has trained his or her employees well. Look, I was in retail customer service for 6 years and the customer is job # 1. Bottom line is, They put the cash in your pocket. No customer, no job.

2-1B
12-01-2002, 02:18 PM
And as their customer, they can rightly expect you to not rip them off of their Silver R2s.

Touche. ;)

Turbowars
12-01-2002, 02:20 PM
Oh thats right, some people can't grow up.

2-1B
12-01-2002, 02:22 PM
Thanks for demonstrating that ! :D

Turbowars
12-01-2002, 02:23 PM
HeHe!

JediTricks
12-01-2002, 05:12 PM
Don't make me have to separate you two! :D

Anyway, for the last 4 years, it seems like it's been TRU policy to simply not give a crap about any phone calls, especially those concerning Star Wars. You can't trust the results you get, sometimes you get an informed and helpful person but mostly you get someone who simply doesn't have the proper skills to work in customer service. I blame the managment who puts these people in a job they're not suited to.

marcusfett
12-01-2002, 06:31 PM
Toys R Us kinda sucks, but yesterday they got me a Clone Pilot and a Tusken w. Massiff out of the back. Woo hoo! Got them both for 2.99. The Tusken is kinda pointless though, but the Clone Pilot rocks my socks!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-01-2002, 09:53 PM
This thread has shades of the one with Darth Detori, the Republic Gunship, and the 80 year old Wal-Mart lady. We debated the merits of that ad nauseum.

plasticfetish
12-02-2002, 04:34 AM
Mmmm ... it's close but not the same LBC.

Originally posted by turbowars
that maybe true, but you just don't say "No" right off the bat ...

I've gotta admit, I agree 100% with turbowars on this. Pretty nicely said ... and I don't think he means to say that everyone working at TRU or retail in general is a boob so I'm not sure how you could say he's wrong. I will say that I've had this problem at TRU and I've had it at many other places ... for the most part I suppose it's just a symptom of the times or maybe it's a Southern California thing. Many people (often times younger people) either don't care about their jobs or they don't get the kind of training/orientation that they need to do them well. So ... ehh, what can you do?

I worked retail for something like 5 years while in college ... worked in a department store (that job was a complete pain in the *** but I did my best) ... rule #1 was that "NO" is not a word you use with the customers. I guess it makes them angry or something.

Ultimately I feel sorry for anyone that has to work retail during the "holidays" ... especially in Southern California, the home of the rudest customers on the face of the earth.

:]

Turbowars
12-02-2002, 08:50 PM
AMEN to that!!!

dr_evazan22
12-02-2002, 10:16 PM
I know what you mean TurboWars. I went into a TRU this a.m. and saw a guy pick up the last Ephont Mon, so I looked around for someone to ask to check the back. All I saw Xmas help.

It's tough for a retail store to hire for Holidays. You have to double your staff almost overnight, and train them. And its only for about 6 weeks! The standard for what you look for goes way down b/c your back is against the wall. If you interview someone you think will be good you pray they pass the background/criminal checks. You roll the dice... And hope you find someone who at least performs to the minimum standard.

tagmac
12-02-2002, 10:18 PM
I don't know what customer service you guys are talking about, but I've never gotten ANY in my TRU, especially concerning Star Wars merchandise. Since 1995, only twice did an employee go in the back to look for new merchandise. Normally, it was the usual "no" or "what we have is what's out." (course, parents with kids would get better service, but that's another story). I remember several years ago asking an older employee if they had figures in the back. He told me to check the aisle. A minute later he asks me if I found them, and I told him I meant in the stockroom, and he insisted that it was only the stuff on the shelf.

The TRU by me has been run by a bunch of old bats who treat all young male customers the same when it concerns collectable stuff - like CRAP! These women are nasty to, to the point that I stopped asking for help years ago. You're lucky a manager helped you - by me, the manager supposedly sells the stuff herself in another town. Thank goodness for TRU.com, cuz the stores themselves are useless to me.

JediTricks
12-03-2002, 02:06 AM
Before '97, TRU was sooooooo nice about phone calls concering SW product with me, and we're talking about So Cal there. :D They'd hold stuff, tell us what they were getting in and when, check the computer against what their eyes were telling them, it was actually FUN to be a collector dealing with the chain back then, way better customer service and selection than Target or other chains. Then, slowly but surely, once the movies came out, the collector base grew until they pushed the customer service people too hard. I think in some ways it's the SW collectors in '97 and '98 who pushed TRU over the edge into the lesser company they've become.

OC47150
12-03-2002, 04:52 PM
I have a co-worker who moonlights at TRU. I ask her to look for stuff for me, listen for toy gossip, good deals, future sales, etc...

I also have an old classmate (we've known each other since elementary school!!) who works at the local TRU. She tells me if SW has been selling or not.

I think everyone should work at least one year in retail, including Christmas. It will give you a new appreciation.

OC -- Target survivor ('88 - '91 -- the college years)

plasticfetish
12-03-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by OC47150
I think everyone should work at least one year in retail, including Christmas. It will give you a new appreciation.

I agree. Though working retail is what made me end up hating the holidays for good. Sometimes I wonder if being rude to retail employees is a way (for some people) to get even for all of the bad times that THEY had doing the job.

Turbowars
12-03-2002, 06:43 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only person to notice this poblem with TRU. Well I should just say with all reatail stores. The thing is, I wasn't rude when I called. The fact is, the employees don't really care or are just not informed. I really can't blame them, I wouldn't want to work there either. In the other hand you should work for your pay. It was the same story when I started collecting SW in 95. Nothing has changed. I have had Target employees take boxes of figures to the back when I asked them to please open a box. Heck, in the past when they saw me coming they pushed the cart in the warehouse. The list goes on and on. When I see a box I grab it these days.

Wolfwood319
12-03-2002, 07:29 PM
If anything, the extra seasonal TRU employees just take up more space at the TRU's. They really don't know anything, and won't be there long enough to even care. Its not really a good idea, IMO.

QLD
12-03-2002, 07:35 PM
They are just there to stock the shelves, and herd the masses. Your average consumer during the holidays doesn't need specific help like collectors do. I worked retail for 10 years, and have high standards when it comes to retail service. But during Christmas. I am just happy if I come out alive. I honestly, think it is unreasonable to ask someone at TRU to check the stockroom during the Christmas season. They are so busy it is insane, and when you are asked every 5 minutes to check the stockroom for something, well, it detracts from other areas of service.

If they look like they aren't busy, then, I might ask them for special favors.

Exhaust Port
12-03-2002, 10:23 PM
How can you blame the temp workers though? As I said in another thread, this is my second season as a temp worker at my local TRU. I could tell you everything that is found in the Action Figure section but I'm a deer in headlights when it comes to the Barbie or Imaginarium. The only reason I know Action Figures is because I've visited that section 2 times a month for years now. Now as much you would love to have me help find that missing SW figure just as many people hate the fact that I don't know where the newest Bratz accessories are (actually I know that :( ) or some other stupid crap in Infant.

The truth is that temp workers will never know where everything is, we're lucky to know 10% of the stores products. With the system of organizing that TRU uses and the crush of incoming toys shipments it's nearly impossible to know they have in the storeroom. All they do each night is start pulling box upon box from the overstock racks with no knowledge of what they have until they get to the floor. The best bet is to get there when the store opens. What ever they can cram onto the pegs is on the floor, very little stays in the back especially with SW stuff. Honest.

plasticfetish
12-04-2002, 12:04 AM
In your defense ... I don't think that the main point (of Turbo's post#1) was that the temp workers HAVE to know everything. I think the point was ... when you don't know something, you have to be extra cool about it. The answer shouldn't be: "NO" (translation: "leave me alone, I'm new here".) The answer should be: "You know, I'm not sure ... let me go ask someone that does know for you." (translation: "sure I'm new here, but I want to be of assistance.")

--- Please consult your poorly written training manuals or badly produced videos now. ---

The best example I can give from personal experience is of the afternoon I spent ... when I was working at that lame now bankrupt department store many years ago ... and I was covering the lingerie department. Honestly, there wasn't one single question I could answer (besides "you're a guy, what are you doing here?") so you just smile a lot and ask someone who knows the answer.

OC47150
12-04-2002, 08:13 AM
I had to sell curtains. I didn't know what a valance was, so I just opened the package and go 'yup, that's what's pictured on the package."