PDA

View Full Version : What will make Episode III the Perfect Movie?

Pendo
12-01-2002, 03:24 PM
We all enjoyed the prequels but most of us agree that the movies are not as strong as the originals. Because Episode III is going to be the last Star Wars movie EVER, we all want it to be the best!

Episodes 1 and 2 were full of weak points, errors, plot holes, etc. If George decides to research what fans thought was weak in the movies and correct them it will probably make the 3rd movie a hell-of-alot better. What mistakes where in Episodes 1 and 2 (and the OT?) that should be improved on for Episode 3?

I think Lucas' BIGGEST problem in the PT is that he's more focused on Special Effects and action sequences. He should focus more of the story! Instead of writing the story and putting in what will fit, he tries to add these massive effects/action sequences that top the last movie, but we don't need them!

I also think he should cut down on the CGI. I think CG works for locations and ships, but for living creatures (such as the Geonosians) it is too obvious that they are not real. Puppets worked FINE, and also gave the actors something to interact with. I think Lucas has jumped straight into the CG without perfecting it first. IMO the OT looks ALOT more realistic than the PT.

PENDO!

dirtybones
12-02-2002, 12:22 PM
I think your 100% right with all the CG PENDO.
I also think that G.L. is trying to show us what it was really like before the EMPIRE took over everything in it's path and thats the reason we have all the CG in the first two movies, to show a busy over crowed uncontroled mass of life forms. IMO of cource.

I think the best way this next movie could be called perfect is to have the longest knock out fights between the main characters in the story line.

I'm looking forward to finally seeing how Anakin turns and the fight between Vader and Obiwan come to life!!!!

I just hope that all the movie will tie into each other in the end.

Needles
12-02-2002, 07:27 PM
When EP1 came,Entertainment had an issue with obi and Qui-gon on the front,and towards the back of the mag they had a couple of pages with nothing but Starwars,including a character guide with little summaries and next to vaders picture is-SPOILER-

EDIT:

Do not post spoilers in a "no spoilers" forum.

Pendo
12-03-2002, 11:24 AM
Needles, luckily I never read that spoiler :), but god-damn-it I am so in need of a Spoiler Fix right now :frus::mad::evil:!!!

Hmmm, I wonder what the spoiler could have been... It's bugging me!

:crazed:

PENDO!

stillakid
12-03-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
We all enjoyed the prequels but most of us agree that the movies are not as strong as the originals. Because Episode III is going to be the last Star Wars movie EVER, we all want it to be the best!

Episodes 1 and 2 were full of weak points, errors, plot holes, etc. If George decides to research what fans thought was weak in the movies and correct them it will probably make the 3rd movie a hell-of-alot better. What mistakes where in Episodes 1 and 2 (and the OT?) that should be improved on for Episode 3?

I think Lucas' BIGGEST problem in the PT is that he's more focused on Special Effects and action sequences. He should focus more of the story! Instead of writing the story and putting in what will fit, he tries to add these massive effects/action sequences that top the last movie, but we don't need them!

I also think he should cut down on the CGI. I think CG works for locations and ships, but for living creatures (such as the Geonosians) it is too obvious that they are not real. Puppets worked FINE, and also gave the actors something to interact with. I think Lucas has jumped straight into the CG without perfecting it first. IMO the OT looks ALOT more realistic than the PT.

PENDO!

Wow!! Where do I start?

CGI
First, I'll agree with everything above. Those Yoda CU's were atrocious. For that doubting Thomas out there, pull out yer copy of ESB and freeze frame a still CU of Yoda and compare it side by side with one from the Prequels. Yikes.

Screenplay
The content of the CGI doesn't bother me. But like you say, he's more intent on showing off the technology at the expense of the story. If he really wants to get the mass audience back on his side (not just the die-hard fanboys), he simply must allow a qualified screenwriter or two to polish his work. He did it in the old days and look how well everything came out. That's Job Number One. I believe that if he does that, the rest will fall into place.

Actors
Oy! This Anakin character has been a dismal blight on the saga. Jake Lloyd. Now I'm sure he's a great kid and all but his performance was painful to watch. But, to his credit, I can safely blame it on the awful dialogue George wrote for him.

But as bad as he was, Hayden took the cake. His pouty thing worked alright in Life As A House, but the guy is all over the map in AOTC. He's pouty, flies off the handle for no reason, gets that stalker look on his face, etc, etc, etc. George wanted that moody teenager thing, but there's no consistency with the performance. There's no going back to recast for Episode III, but I hope George takes the time to actually direct his actors for this one instead of letting them try to figure out what the hell will be going on on the bluescreen behind them.

Pace and Focus
This kind of works in with "screenplay" but the pacing in TPM and AOTC were abysmal. The beginning of TPM started out bad (on the ship) and just got worse (Naboo to Tatooine). It was choppy, but not in an interesting way. We were simply treated to a "montage-like" arrangement of scenes designed for the sole-purpose of introducing characters while putting the story on the backburner. And it just got plain 'ol boring.

The original cut of AOTC was the opposite. Still choppy, but the pacing was all over the place. It was a whirlwind of moods and emotions, but not edited for effect. We went from Jedi-cop solving a mystery to Soap-Opera Love story and back again in a matter of minutes. Cross cutting a story has been done since The Great Train Robbery, but there are limits as to how distracting it can get. Which leads to...

...FOCUS. What I mean by that is that George needs to focus on what this saga is all about. The side stories are interesting and necessary. As the growing love between Han and Leia provided an important level of depth to the OT, the love of Anakin and Padme too should be there, but as a side story as well. Bringing that stuff to the front burners is and was a big mistake. Happily, it was remedied with the far superior IMAX edit which left most of the cheesiest and unnecessary moments on the floor, but sadly that isn't available for home consumption (at this time). George (with the aid of writers and editors) needs to focus on what is really important for the story to be told well and leave the rest for the Expanded Universe fans to worry about.

And leave the "please the fanboys" stuff OUT! NO VADER! Just write a good story and stop trying to second-guess what everyone thinks they want to see. Oh, and please tie up that mess with Qui Gon and the Midichlorians. Thanks!

Darth Grifter
12-03-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by stillakid:
If he really wants to get the mass audience back on his side (not just the die-hard fanboys), he simply must allow a qualified screenwriter or two to polish his work. He did it in the old days and look how well everything came out. That's Job Number One. I believe that if he does that, the rest will fall into place.

I agree with you for once, stillakid.

While AOTC was visually a stunning movie; and in many aspects I was tempted at first to hail it as the BEST of all time, I have regretably changed my mind. The more I watch the movie, the more I am beginning to loathe the dialogue and the acting. Hayden really needs some work. And he's not alone. I think my least favorite scene is the "leaving coruscant" scene in Padme's apartment. The acting is terrible from Hayden and (sadly to say) Natalie. "Anakin, you've grown up." GRRRRRRR...A little intention behind that line would be nice. The most bland statement in all of the Star Wars Saga

I digress...Sorry

I think that GL needs to pull in the reigns on the trilogy a little and bring it back to the story and focus on the story, not on the "latest, greatest, technology." This is where LOTR is doing great things. Models, scale models of sets, no 100% CG. I mean, the SW actors aren't even going to know how to interact with real sets anymore, it's all blue screen blue screen blue screen. Scout some real locations and use them. Don't rely on the guys from ILM to create your movie.

The story is what hooked most of us, not the amazing early 80's special FX. In order for GL to succeed with eIII, he needs to stick with the story and let someone else polish his dismal screenplay for him.

IMO:rolleyes:

QLD
12-05-2002, 07:53 PM
You know what, I am too lazy to read all of the above posts, so I just skimmed through them. I agree with most everything.

My points....

Try....I dunno.....actually BUILDING SETS!!!!!!! Just because everything can be done in CGI, doesn't mean it's a GOOD IDEA!

Give Hayden some acting lessons. I mean, I can't believe he even got a SAG card. I didn't notice it too much in the theatre, but the first time I watched the DVD, I almost vomited every time he had lines.

Let someone else direct the film. I think it's obvious that G. Lu hasn't been thinking with a clear head the last few years.

Let someone proofread the script. Preferably someone who is not on the payroll.

This would be a good start.