PDA

View Full Version : Steven Spielberg presents "TAKEN"

JEDIpartner
12-02-2002, 03:25 PM
Okay... I WILL be tuning in for this. I will have to tape "John Doe", "Will & Grace" and a couple other shows to navigate through the deep waters before us. Deep waters? Why, yes!

I am rather frightened that this is being considered a miniseries. It is, after all, 20 hours of programming. Considering that a typical network series that runs in a one hour block shoots 24-26 episodes per season, this could have been a limited run series. This could have aired one hour per week through the course of the season and then have been repeated for those who missed it!

I certainly hope it will be worth it. Yikes!

Who else will be joining me?

Beast
12-02-2002, 03:45 PM
I am eagerly anticipating this series as well. I've been keeping track of it, since I heard about it. Most people are referring to it as a maxi-series. It's also supposedly airing in marathon blocks, on the weekends, from what I've heard. :)

Tonight will make or break the series. Though from the making of show that has been airing for the past week or so, it looks like it will be incredible. The "foo fighters" flying among the allied bombers over Germany is an amazing shot. :)

Plus the first episode was directed by Tobe Hooper (Poltergeist), so I assume that the series will be fantastic. The people that have seen early previews of it, say it's wonderful. There is also a book and a DVD release planned. Hopefully soon after the series airs. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
12-02-2002, 03:53 PM
I'll probably tune in myself since MNF will probably be another stinker like it has been all season.

JEDIpartner
12-02-2002, 04:06 PM
MNF is all showbiz anymore. It's no longer about the game. You won't be missing anything! :happy:

sith_killer_99
12-02-2002, 07:20 PM
I will be tuning in, and taping it at the same time, just in case I fall asleep.

I dosen't air until 9PM!!!

Ah well, this looks to be a very promising "maxi-series".

JEDIpartner
12-03-2002, 09:02 AM
Okay... I liked a lot of the set up. I'm really glad that this isn't all "CE3K" or "Communion" or "Fire in the Sky" in its approach. I'm still wondering what the deal is with Owen (?). Why the heck did he bash Sue's head in?? Was it because he didn't want her to go and "ruin" his plan to marry his way to the top? Or... was the Owen who came out of the ship actually an alien who ASSUMED Owen's identity... Weird.

Anyhow... I'm glad I'm watching. Part One will be rebroadcast from 7pm to 9pm tonight! Coolness. :cool:

Patient Zero
12-03-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I'm still wondering what the deal is with Owen (?). Why the heck did he bash Sue's head in?? Was it because he didn't want her to go and "ruin" his plan to marry his way to the top?

That was probably a contributing factor to it, but I suspect that it was more because of the alien object. He showed little to no interest in harming or aggresion towards her until after he knew that she had information which he was trying to control. That, I think, is why she had to die as far as he was concerned. He knew that she had not told anyone else and so he was just tieing up loose ends. :dead: I think that I am really going to hate his character as the series goes on.

JEDIpartner
12-03-2002, 10:36 AM
I already didn't like him because he was totally playing his (now) wife (Ann, is it?) with that little (now dead) strumpet, Sue. I thought that was really terrible that he has these ulterior motives and I really feel bad for her, seeing how she is so happy. :cry: He just kinda looks like an underhanded "too pretty to be nice" sorta guy. Grrrrrrr :mad:

JEDIpartner
12-05-2002, 02:47 PM
Not to kiss anyone's butt, however... Mr. Spielberg, this ROCKS!!!

Wolfwood319
12-05-2002, 04:18 PM
I watched the first half of this show, and I was bored out of my mind. I just couldn't watch it. Although I can't watch most Sci-Fi shows, to begin with. To me, its just another "X-Files-esque" show, and I hated the X-Files for the most part.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-05-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
I watched the first half of this show, and I was bored out of my mind. I just couldn't watch it. Although I can't watch most Sci-Fi shows, to begin with. To me, its just another "X-Files-esque" show, and I hated the X-Files for the most part.

I actually tried watching this show too but then switched on MNF. Al Michaels talking to a wall would be more interesting than this show. Maybe the build-up is too slow and it'll get better as the show continues on but I don't have the patience to stay with it.

Let me get my parachute on...

w

h

e

e

:dead:

sith_killer_99
12-05-2002, 05:15 PM
Well, I am enjoying this show and eagerly await tonights' episode.

I like watching these long drawn out shows unfold. Last night I especially enjoyed the way that Owen offed his wife. In a twisted sort of way.

It's kinda like watching a game of chess, each piece moves into position and we get to see the big picture! ;)

Owen is my favorite character, I guess because I hate him so much.:crazed:

Darth Vellner
12-05-2002, 05:27 PM
Its not bad...I have been watching it all week......well.. I have not "really" watched it....its just been on when I'm doing other stuff...
I would like to watch it all at once(DVD Box set?)20 hours? maybe over 2 days......:crazed: ;)

JEDIpartner
12-06-2002, 08:50 AM
I was really sad when Owen killed Ann. It really showed that he had this twisted obessession with his "quest". Why was i sad? Ann was kinda homely, but really sweet and she thought she took up with this great and handsome guy. As it turns out... he ruins her perception of life and beats her down and then kills her. What a bastard! :cry:

Anyhow... what was even MORE twisted was last night's episode where Owen's eldest son taunted him as he died... and then is picking up where Owen left off in the project.

I am with SithKiller! I can't wait for tonight's episode...!!!!

What absolutely amazes me is... all of these people who gripe and gripe about shows/films not having a detailed and cohesive story line are fleeing from this. I like the fact that the story is taking its time to unfold. I would rather be told a good story like this than to have a bunch of flaming cars thrown at me...

mrmiller
12-06-2002, 09:57 AM
I gues I'm wit a lot of you. I was pumped for this show, and watched the first one. I about fell asleep.... I actually forgot about it Tuesday, so I figures I wasn't that interested and haven't watched any other episodes. I think after the boreing first 2 hours, I could commit another 18 hours to it. Hell, I still need to watch my 4 hour LOTR DVD, and I know that's a good show.

=MATT=

sith_killer_99
12-06-2002, 11:57 AM
I really enjoyed that end scene with Owen and his eldest son. It really brought everything full circle.

I have been noticing these cycles a LOT in this show.:D

Can't wait for tonight's episode!

JEDIpartner
12-06-2002, 05:05 PM
I can't either! I really think this is a solid story... with lots of human relationship stories. I felt terribly when Jesse found out his father was killed and there was nothing he could do. I totally felt his helplessness.

Tonight's should be good...

Jedi Drew
12-12-2002, 09:48 AM
O.K. IMO the first few episodes were really slow moving. But now everything is falling into place. The past three episodes had some good action in them. The one that was on last night (12/11) reminded me of Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. Now it's getting good. :D :D

JEDIpartner
12-12-2002, 11:30 AM
See... everyone wants the payoff right off the bat. No one wants to see the "whys" of a story anymore. There are reasons why things happen and you can't just summarise them. They are important.

The fact that you can care about Charlie because you cared about his dad and grandfather and knew what they all went through makes Charlie's story more interesting. The same hold's true for Allie, her mother, her grandfather and her great grandmother as well as those nasty Campbells. You see who these people are and where they came from. They are not as two-dimensional as most charaters in films.

Yes, there were a lot of similarities to CE3K in last night's episode. I enjoyed that little nod as well. Mary Campbell is REALLY diabolical and crazed. It's weird when you saw how she shot her father, Eric, and you almost felt bad for him... like he really wasn't so bad after all and that most of what he did was to win his father's approval even after he "killed" his father.

I am really sad that tomorrow night will be the last night of the mini-series. I have grown to like these people and really have gotten into the action.

Well done, Mr. Spielberg. Well done, indeed!

sith_killer_99
12-12-2002, 11:46 AM
I have to agree, this whole series has been well done.

I think the weakest acting took place with the group, they all seemed kinda weak to me. IMHO. Although the scenes were necessary to the development of the characters and the story.

Anyway, the rest has been outstanding. I will be sad when it's all over.:cry:

Jedi Drew
12-12-2002, 11:58 AM
Let's see what Mr. Spielberg can do with the "NEW" Indiana Jones. I really want to see Minority Report-looks good. O.K. sorry off the subject. :eek: :eek:

plasticfetish
12-13-2002, 02:27 AM
Long ago I came to terms with the fact that I'm Spielberg's b***h.
The fact that I've given up 18 hours of my life and that I'm looking forward to 2 more is just more proof.

Beast
12-13-2002, 02:36 AM
Just wait until "Taken" comes out on DVD next year. Then you'll happily be handing more money over to him. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
12-13-2002, 08:30 AM
I thought about getting this on DVD, but I'm not quite certain that this is something I could watch again. I mean... the thing that is so cool about it is going on the journey with each new generation and being surprised. The surprises aren't there the second time around, I feel (based on watching portions of the reruns). This isn't like a "fluff" movie like Star Wars and it's not something deep or entertaining that lasts only a couple hours and you can watch over and over again.

I don't really know how to say what I feel about this miniseries. I DO love it... but I think it will lose that magic with repeat viewings. If I DID happen to get a DVD set... it would probably sit on my shelf and I wouldn't watch it for several years. by then... it would probably just show up on the tube again.

Jedi Clint
12-13-2002, 11:40 PM
That was fun. A little part of me is glad that it's over just so I can have my evenings back, but I wanted to see a glimpse into the characters future before the curtains closed *sigh*.

Has anyone ever seen anything in the sky that defies conventional logic?

Beast
12-13-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
Has anyone ever seen anything in the sky that defies conventional logic?
Does Marlon Brando in an airplane count? :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Emperor Howdy
12-15-2002, 12:35 AM
Here's a fun fact: the little girl, Dakota Fanning, is from Conyers. She's actually a well-mannered kid. Her Grandparents, Steve and Mary-Jane Arrington paid me a whole $200 to clear their entire (huge) property of leaves (I was just starting my business, so...). Anyway, the grandparents are close friends with my cousin. They visit, along with Dakota, every year in Covington. So, being that I know Dakota pretty well, I kind of am in Taken too. PM me if you want an autograph. :happy:

Wasn't that fun? :cool:

JEDIpartner
12-15-2002, 10:10 AM
Dakota Fanning rules!!! You are totally lucky to have met her. She seems like a really exceptional young lady.

And... yes, my family and I have witnessed- on two separate occasions, odd lights in the sky.

sith_killer_99
12-15-2002, 10:36 AM
Once, my sister and I camped out in the back yard.

I dreamed that we were visited by aliens. The next day my sister told my mom all about the dream she had about being visited by aliens.

It was identical down to the last detail. I never mentioned it to them.

I don't believe we were actually visited by aliens, I think we shared a common dream. Which is still pretty odd.:crazed:

I have also had several dreams that would be considered precognisant.

Jedi Clint
12-15-2002, 07:12 PM
I haven't made any assumptions about what I saw either time.

I was at a rave south of Des Moines, IA. It was an outdoor rave at a bar situated on a beach setting. I saw my friend looking off into the distance and decided to see what had his attention. When I looked where he pointed, I saw a flashing light moving about the sky. It would zip from one horizon to the next making near 180 turns without even the slightest pause. After a few moments it seemed to rapidly ascend and vanish. That time I had a witness......it helps negate the fact that I saw this at a rave :p

The second time was when I made a trip to the big city to pick up my washing machine. I caught a fast moving object out the corner of my left eye and even before I could move my eyes to focus on it, it was passing in front of me (early afternoon, mid-summer, bright and sunny). I had time only to make a few observations. It was oval shaped. It was metallic. It seemed to fly low to the ground. It cast a shadow larger than a car on the road in front of me before zipping over the horizon heading toward the northeast as I was traveling (for the most part) straight north. It certainly made my trip interesting, but what do you do about things like this?

I told a few people when I got home. They believe me, but they don't get very excited about it. I can't let myself buy into the idea of seeing something that wasn't made by the hands of humans even if I want to. I know what I saw, but I'll never really know exactly what it was. The visual memory is still with me for both events, and I told (and re-told) each tale while attempting to avoid any extraneous information so that I wouldn't forget or rearrange the details in the future. Still, somtimes I doubt my own memories to a certain extent. So I share the stories every now and again and leave it at that.

Emperor Howdy
12-15-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
I was at a rave

BINGO! ;)

:crazed:

JEDIpartner
12-18-2002, 03:20 PM
Yeah... I've had a couple sightings.

I was about 5 when my parents and I saw three lights approching each other from separate parts of the sky. They came together in a triangular fashion, slowly rotated in formation and sped away and up into the night sky.

The second time was when I was about 16. My mum and I both saw the same object. Neither of us discussed the sighting as we had not witnessed it together. We talked about it when the local paper reported that on off-duty state patrolman spotted this and called it into the post. The post called Hopkins International, where they were unable to see it on their scopes. They called up Wright-Patterson. W-P said they had it on their radar, but the object had no identifiers. W-P followed it until it just disappeared over the Avon Lake area.

Emperor Howdy
12-19-2002, 01:09 PM
THEY'RE COMING!!! THEY'RE COMING FOR US ALL!! JESUS GOD NOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

"prrrrrrrrrt"..................Oh.....er.....excuse me. :stupid:

plasticfetish
12-19-2002, 04:22 PM
They just told me that they've changed their minds about you. Don't worry.

JEDIpartner
12-20-2002, 07:42 PM
I made UP my mind about him a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNG time ago... ;)

Leatherneck
12-29-2002, 10:14 AM
I rather liked this show. It was better than "Signs" anyway.
I think my favorite character was Owen, and it was a shame they killed him off so early into the series.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-02-2003, 01:29 AM
Yeah, about the "Taken" DVD, is there any definite date on this release? I'm assuming JJB will know! ;)

as for me, i taped all of them and need to watch the last 14 hours before i go VCR-less when i head to school on sunday!! ahhh!! :D