PDA

View Full Version : What is happening to me???!!

JangoFart
12-02-2002, 04:39 PM
First off: I hate Ewoks. ROTJ is, by FAR, my least favorite SW movies. Yet, something strange is happening to me. I have, as of late, been buying up MOMC unpunched figures from the Ewoks TV Series.

I can't explain it. Perhaps it's the fact that I'm much older now than when I developed my hatred for the little buggers. Perhaps that being a father for the past 7 years has mellowed me and made me appreciate the "cute-sy" things in life.

Hell, I don't know. The only thing I do know is: I have nearly everyone of these little suckers MOMC unpunched and am searching high and low for the last one (Wicket).

Any ideas on how to purge the poison from my body or is it too late?

J

Beast
12-02-2002, 04:42 PM
As long as your enjoying what your purchasing, why worry about what you used to think? Alot of people have mellowed since 1983 on the existance of Ewoks. All that matters is whether you are having fun collecting. Obviously, it sounds like that you are. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
12-02-2002, 05:20 PM
Ewoks rock! Yub Yub. :cool:

Don't worry about it, you're the one controlling the money. Like JJB said, if you enjoy getting the figures then don't worry about what you used to think. :happy:

Bel-Cam Jos
12-02-2002, 06:41 PM
You have contracted the deadly virus nostalgitis. Its only cure? Death! (OK, not that drastic :rolleyes: ). I have begun collecting Ewoks and Droids comics from Marvel's Star Comics series, circa 1986. Are the stories great? No, but I long for the olden days apparently, so my collection grows.
So far I have been able to avoid the figures from those cartoons.

JangoFart
12-02-2002, 11:53 PM
I agree with everything everyone said here. My collecting the Ewoks figures came out of nowhere when a guy I know off of eBay told me he'd sell me an unpunched C9+ Logray for 30 bucks delivered. Heck, I had to take that! I got it and really dug it and started getting all the others.

This hobby is like crack - much to the chagrin of my wallet. :)

J

2-1B
12-03-2002, 01:01 AM
When I got back into collecting vintage a few years ago, I found myself compelled to get all 8 Ewok figs . . . I have 4 MOC and 4 loose !

I've never hated the Ewoks though, so it's a different perspective. STILL, there were other "cooler" figs I could have focused on, but I just had to have the Ewoks ! ! ! :crazed:

I guess the marketing conspiracy worked !!!!!!! :D

stillakid
12-03-2002, 11:25 AM
Eventually, I want a complete loose Vintage collection, including the Ewoks and Droids figures. The newer stuff has kept my Star Wars budget busy though. One day....

JangoFart
12-03-2002, 02:49 PM
OK, maybe I don't have close to all of them. Caesar: I thought there were only 6 of them not 8 - Wicket, Logray, the Dulok King, the Dulok Lady, Dulok Scout and Dulok Shaman. What am I missing?

J

2-1B
12-04-2002, 11:56 AM
I refer to the 8 ROTJ/POTF Ewoks. :)

The animated series figs are of no interest to me.

JangoFart
12-04-2002, 12:27 PM
Ahhhhh. Well, that explains it, Caesar.

J

stillakid
12-04-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Caesar

Quieter! They can hear you. They have feelings too, you know.

Banthaholic
12-04-2002, 05:14 PM
I wasn't intersted in the Ewoks/Droids till I picked up the Boba Fett 300th figure, and after scanning the back I felt the need.
In a way they're EU characters, not for everyone.

I can see how the Logray could spark the craze. That card back is psychadelic, I like it. I was lucky enough to find a Wicket and think I only paid $25 for it. I just need to get a few more of the carded Droids, but they can wait a bit.

2-1B
12-04-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Quieter! They can hear you. They have feelings too, you know.

:D

evenflow
12-06-2002, 07:27 AM
I personally love the Droids and Ewoks lines. Good for you getting into them. I too have all of the Droids and Ewoks MOMC. It is a nice set to have that not all STar Wars collectors have.

JangoFart
12-06-2002, 11:37 AM
All of 'em? Man, there ain't a whole hell of a lot I would do for one of those Droids Boba Fett's MOMC. The figure is the same as the regular line, but the card is VERY sweet. I saw one that was AFA graded 90 go for over $3,000.00 last week on eBay. $3,000.00 is hard to part with for one figure 'round these parts :)

J

evenflow
12-10-2002, 06:46 AM
Well I bought my set a long time ago. I paid about 20.00 each and 100.00 for the Boba Fett. It is one of the coolest sets I have, i love the cards they came on.

JangoFart
12-10-2002, 02:04 PM
Yeah, it's really incredible how the price on all things Boba Fett have skyrocketed in the past 3-4 yrs.

I too think the cards are great for both the Ewoks and Droids series. I don't particularly like the canadian cards, though, as they all have the same picture.

J

Banthaholic
12-10-2002, 10:41 PM
The Canadian card isn't too bad though for variation hunters. I have all 6 Ewoks American, and King Gorneesh Canadian just so I can take in it's also lovely artwork

JangoFart
12-10-2002, 10:48 PM
I have the King and Lady Gorneesh canadian. Both VERY C9+ I plan on getting those two graded at AFA, along with my Shaman and Logray. If I can find a great Wicket, I'll do that one too.

More accurately, my 7 yr old little girl is busting my chops to get "her" canadian King and Lady graded. I told her I would, but after I get a very nice Wicket.

Have you ever seen a canadian Wicket? That's one I've never come across.

J

Banthaholic
12-10-2002, 11:15 PM
From what I've read only the 4 Dulok figures were released on Canadian Cards. The two ewoks are only availabe on American cards.
Here's my source
http://www.ncf.ca/~cn333/ewoks.htm

JangoFart
12-11-2002, 12:12 AM
Great! Thanks for the info, Banthaholic.

J

AdmiralPiett
12-12-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Banthaholic
From what I've read only the 4 Dulok figures were released on Canadian Cards. The two ewoks are only availabe on American cards.
Here's my source
http://www.ncf.ca/~cn333/ewoks.htm

Sounds like those kids in Canada were spoiled! :D

I have King Gorneesh loose with coin. I bought it at TRU back around 1988 on clearance and only began to really appreciate it around the beginning of the summer. Until then it was still in my C-3PO collector's case.
I love the Droids packaging style. I have the Side Gunner MISB and the artwork is fantastic. The randomness of the character selection for the art gives the whole package an odd and mysterious look. The ATL interceptor is a bit out of my price range right now but I've seen the artwork for that online and that has the same mysterious odd quality. The fact that nobody played with these toys only adds to the fun of having them now.
Piett

JangoFart
01-06-2003, 11:39 AM
I'm also now collecting the Droids series. I've found some VERY NICE unpunched figures on eBay for $40 - 50 each. Of course, I forsee the 2 Fromm's and Mr. Fett being the last ones to round out my collection due to their prices. But, I'll have 'em all when I'm done :)

J

JediDBM
01-07-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
Eventually, I want a complete loose Vintage collection, including the Ewoks and Droids figures. The newer stuff has kept my Star Wars budget busy though. One day....
I must agree with StillAKid here, but an interesting fact for you Jangofart, I remember reading an interview with George Lucas a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... He originally intended for a scene of Wookies to come to the rescue of the rebels, but he could not work it in, then when ROTJ came along, here was his chance, only Chewbacca had been well established by then, so if you manipulate the word wookie, drop a few letters move the "e" to the front of the word, you have ewok. I dont remember much more of the interview to explain why they were small and cute little teddy bear looking creatures, like I said, the interview was a very long time ago... If anybody else remembers the interview, please help me out here. My memory just isn't what it used to be... Age can be a cruel joke sometimes...

JediDBM
01-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Also, I chose to avoid the Ewok figures from the TV series because they had a different look to them... is that stupid or what? And I call myself a collector?!!! :D

Kidhuman
01-07-2003, 03:53 PM
I remember hearing that he originally wanted the Wookies on Endor, but he went with Ewoks instead. The Ewoks were more primitive in fighting to the Wookies plus it was easier to get a bunch of shorter people than taller people. If it was Wookies I believe the whole battle on Endor would have been different.

I myself was never interested in the Ewok figures from their show. I always just stuck to the movie line.

JediDBM
01-07-2003, 04:05 PM
I agree kidhuman, they looked too much like cartoon characters, yes I know that is what they were