PDA

View Full Version : Let's make freinds

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-03-2002, 02:41 AM
I was just interested to find out what our age/sex demographic is here.
I'm male and 23.
Anybody else care to share.

Jargo
12-03-2002, 05:56 AM
Well, according to the Hasbro Jedi site Uk collectors are between 24 and 34, male and have more than 200 items in their collections. We prefer to buy at TRU and buy mostly three and three quarter inch figures.

That said I'm 35 almost and last time I looked I was male. Contrary to the popular misconception about sci-fi fans I don't live at home with a dominating mother and I don't wear glasses or wear an anorak. I do have a dominating mother but she's kept safely at a distance by a telephone answering machine. :D
I do collect mostly small figures and i have something in the region of 7-800 figures I think. I haven't tried counting for a long time.

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-03-2002, 06:02 AM
Also according to Hasbro we want figures with a button that makes their arm move and 50 different R2D2's, so I guess their surveying skills are a bit off.

Yu_
12-03-2002, 01:13 PM
26 male and stuck in Newcastle Upon Tyne.. I keep my mother in the USA so I don't have to deal with her ;) and I DO want 50 r2d2's becuse 1 just isn't enough ;)

sith_killer_99
12-03-2002, 05:06 PM
WOW, I fall into EVERY stereotype the Hasbro Jedi site UK wrote!:(

male
200++++++ figures
prefer TRU (Wal-Mart is #2;) )
collect mostly the 3.75 inch stuff

I am also happily married and have 1 daughter.

Lewis
12-04-2002, 01:58 AM
Well im 32 male,

I have 223 figures,also loads of vehicles,(still in 2 minds to open Amidala's Starship or sell)

My own home,which is turning into a Star Wars Showroom,and me mates think its sad....their loss.

And where on earth do people on e-bay get all these cheap figure's from,i would love to know so i could get them myself :p

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-04-2002, 03:03 AM
Ooh open it, open it. It's so big and shiny how can you resist.

mightywhelk
12-04-2002, 07:07 AM
I fit the demographic nicely. 26, Male, over 300 figs & ships (one of which is the Royal Starship purchased at the weekend - Lewis, open it, its fabulous). I mainly buy from TRU but that is happening less and less because they don't seem to get any new stock at the Norwich branch, and because i've just found a new shop failrly locally with pretty much everything in it.

You won't find an anorak on my coat hook, my complexion has cleared up very nicely over the last few years and my wife thinks my collection is cool. :D

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-04-2002, 07:34 AM
cmon now, that last bit about your wife was a fib wasn't it. ;)

sith_killer_99
12-04-2002, 10:47 AM
My wife used to think my collection was cool.

Now she just goes "Oh look, another Star Wars toy."

**thinking to herself "Are they ever going to quite making these dXXX things?"**

mightywhelk
12-04-2002, 10:58 AM
Honest, she likes it - I even got her rooting roung the bargain bins at Memorabilia. Not only that, she does a cracking shepherds pie.

Jargo
12-04-2002, 02:14 PM
LT. Childsen: "TK421 why aren't you at your post?"

TK421: "mmmf gmumff ffmummfff Sh'pherds pie!"

Lt. Childsen: "Sorry, lunch break, Commisary is full, as you were trooper."

gibbspaulus
12-05-2002, 01:37 AM
I'm a damn conformist too! 30, male, collects 3 3/4, have aroun d 300 figures and a nice chunk of ships.

Yay - open that bloody starship. Even if you are 30 it's hours of fun playing with it!

My other half worships the films but cannot get his head around the concept of collecting the toys! SO I Ignore him and carry on regardless!

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-05-2002, 04:09 AM
My better half has never thought my collection is cool.
Of the queens royal starship she said, and I quote
"I don't think much of that. It was shiny in the film. This ones matte."
nuff said really.
Although she has given me an entire room of our new house to put it in so I can;t really complain.
She also makes a mean shepards pie, although her true talent is in roast dinners.
:D

jedi_uk73
12-05-2002, 07:25 AM
Looks like I kind of fit into the catagory too !!!

28 (29 in 22 days) :D

Male

500+ 3 3/4" figures

Many vehicles and other bits & pieces.

Prefer not to shop at TRU however, they never have anything I want, so I always buy online elsewhere.

My other half don't mind me collecting SW, she helps find me bargains at conventions etc.

*** That Starship Needs Opening ***

gibbspaulus
12-05-2002, 09:23 AM
It makes noises, bits fly off, it has another Artoo in it, there's flashy lights, and a free throne that no AMidala can sit on... ever.

Open it, give into thr dark side!!!

kdp100
12-12-2002, 04:54 AM
Yes, I fit the demographic pretty well too -

Male

Approaching 33

Around 470 figures, plus most of the ships

Mother (and father) a couple of hundred miles away

No glasses (20-20 vision :) )

No anorak (usually no coat at all!)

I occasionally visit TRU, but haven't bought much there since they slowed their releases down around July. Rely much more on R2DToys, eBay, & Forbidden Planet to keep my collection up to date.

Most of my friends regard my collection as a quaint eccentricity, but it didn't stopping them all wanting to play with the toys the last time they came round for dinner!

Open the Starship!

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-12-2002, 05:37 AM
Glad we're all agreed that the ship should come out of its box. Don't want any of those crazy box people round here.

Jargo
12-12-2002, 06:20 AM
"let me out of the box"

"stay in the box"

"let me out of the box"

"stay in the box"

"let me out of the box!"

"stay in the damn box and shut up!"

"let me out of the box the batteries are leaking"

"stay in the box. Euuuuw - that's gross...!" :crazed:

Free the red astro droid he's cool. Plus there's the extra vehicle in that yellow escape pod, My nephew likes that more than the big ship, it has a droid slot and fires a missile. Oh and the sounds activated by remote with flashing lights and all of that, too cool not to play with.

My friends don't even get to see my toys, they aren't worthy enough to get the honour. Besides they're all clumsy and they'd break something valuable. Or knock everything off the shelf and then the dog would eat stuff. My first dog ate Luke Dagobah which on reflection isn't too bad but I don't want the newer stuff going that route. My toys are for me only, or perhaps my Nephew occasionally if he's good. My sister won't let me buy him any more star wars toys though :( says he has too many toys already. She made me buy him art stuff for xmas instead. How dull. You can never have enough star wars toys IMO.

Lewis
12-12-2002, 01:29 PM
Ermmmm, Just letting you know that the Starship is still in it's box............Sorry :p

britcit3
12-29-2002, 02:58 PM
I really break the stereotype........

Married (and she is not ugly) with child (and he is ugly).

Don't live with mother & father - if you saw the council estate they live on, you would move to Baghdad.

DON'T collect figures (until they become 99p from Poundland in Liverpool) - DO collect Star Wars Micro Machines/Action Fleet.

Don't shop in TRU (the Liverpool branch is less than brilliant) - prefer WORLDS APART and if I am feeling flush, Forbidden Planet.

I have converted my son into a collector at the age of only 4 - so he has at least 12 years of slapping to take at school.

Cheers

BC3

Pendo
12-30-2002, 01:50 PM
Let's see...

Name: Danny

Marital Status: Widowed :cry::(

Don't live with mother/father. Don't even KNOW my mother/father :rolleyes:

Originally from Lagos in Nigeria, now live in Liverpool (HOME OF L.F.C, THE PRIDE OF MERSEYSIDE!!!)

Have a very good job (I get to boss people around :p)

I don't collect Star Wars toys (not even 99p ones from Poundland ;))

I have about TWO Star Wars figures, not even in their box :eek:!

Don't shop in 'Toys R Us' because they can't even get their letters the right way round :rolleyes:!

And I like to end everything I type with an annoying PENDO! thing :rolleyes:.

PENDO!

Lewis
12-31-2002, 09:46 AM
Well Ive just come back from a toy fair in Doncaster and got a really good deal, The Jedi Starfighter brand new/boxed for 8 and a brand new/boxed Slave 1 for 12....Wow these are really nice ships, I dont open stuff as a rule but for this price I have and happy That I did, I love the way the landing gear slides in and out and quality of the paint and detail,But stuffing Obi wan pilot in was a bit tight to say the least, so no hope of getting Dexter in then LOL :p

Jargo
12-31-2002, 02:26 PM
Actually pendo merseyside encompasses the Wirral peninsula and we class tranmere Rovers FC as the pride of merseyside :p Judging by the form of LFC this last season i doubt they'll be called the pride of the pool for much longer :happy: Vive la Rovers!

Lewis, the starfighter is a great ship but it's so low and pointy it's hard to find a space for it. I parked mine next to my republic gunship and it looks like something flattened it in comparison to the bulk of the gunship. Plus i got one of the early ones that has the damn pop off all the time wings. A waste of effort that feature is. missiles would have been more fun and a little opening spare parts hold at the back to jettison stuff in the path of missiles from slave-1. And the hyperdrive ring would have been more fun too. Sadly it has no coolness just silly pop off all the time wings. And we don't even get batle damage on it, not even stickers! lame. very lame. :( hence the fact that no-one bought the blessed thing and it's now being clearanced everywhere.....

Lewis
12-31-2002, 04:57 PM
Oh yes I forgot to mention I got a couple of them Clone Troopers that are not made by Hasbro - one firing & one marching!! Oh & they were 2.50 each!! It's a bugger putting the arms on!! lol :p

kdp100
01-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Try boiling the pirate clones' arms in water before popping them on, to soften the plastic - doesn't harm the figures and it works a treat!

Happy New Year, y'all!

Lewis
01-02-2003, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the tip kdp100, but i managed to get them on :p but aren't the rifles a bit too big they come with!! It's a really good pose though they have, the one in marching pose will be good for inside the Gunship....When i get one :p

gibbspaulus
01-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Got the gunship - I just want some of these cloned clones...

Pendo
01-02-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Actually pendo merseyside encompasses the Wirral peninsula and we class tranmere Rovers FC as the pride of merseyside :p Judging by the form of LFC this last season i doubt they'll be called the pride of the pool for much longer :happy: Vive la Rovers!

Tranmere Rovers??? You're critisizing the performance of a Premiership team, when yours can't even make it to the Premiership :p. Where's your team, 8th place in Division 2!!!??? :p

But I'd agree with you, we are playing cruddy at the moment! We were playing bad from the very start of the season, but at least we were getting the odd lucky goal then, but now we can't even win a match :mad:!
I hope it's just a bad spell, we'll be back to our normal selves soon, I hope...

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

PENDO!

Lee Whalley
01-02-2003, 02:22 PM
EFC.. True pride of Merseyside.

Where can I pick up the pirate Clonetroopers?

Jargo
01-02-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
Tranmere Rovers??? You're critisizing the performance of a Premiership team, when yours can't even make it to the Premiership :p. Where's your team, 8th place in Division 2!!!??? :p

It's not the winning it's the taking part that ... counts.........

Lancashire Lancashire Lancashire, is that like bits of Liverpool spilling over into the next shire or just a district using lancashire because it's the posh end of Liverpool that doesn't want to be known as Liverpool? Or is that real Lancashire?

The wirral has two faces, one thinks it's Merseyside and the other likes to think it's still part of Cheshire :D oh the snobbery of some people. They like to say they come from South Wirral not just the Wirral but South Wirral no less. Poncey up their own ..... jerks! :rolleyes: :stupid: :p :D Me, I'm from gritty North Wirral. The real Wirral, the part where outsiders are eaten on sight. :Pirate: We're dead 'ard we are. :rolleyes:

kdp100
01-03-2003, 08:00 AM
Lee, try this link on eBay (but be quick - the auction ends soon!):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2476&item=3103480861

Any search on www.eBay.co.uk for the phrase "clone trooper" should throw something up! They ususally come in packs of 10.

Lewis
01-04-2003, 03:43 AM
Lee. I was lucky to get mine, i was looking at Luke blastshield (Dinted so left it) and looked down to see them on top of a box, he had about 12 and all bagged, im going again in Febuary so hopefully i can pick up some more....:p

kdp100
01-07-2003, 05:10 PM
It was just another day at the office for me - but I did see some strange characters when I looked out of the window..... :D

Talking about kiddies' names, a friend of mine knows a couple who called their baby son "Luke" - then proceeded to add the middle name "Skywalker"! I just hope he doesn't get too badly damaged by this!

gibbspaulus
01-08-2003, 02:15 AM
I was in the office too, and still had to wait till Saturday to get to see the flipping thing - in a 4/5 empty cinema too! It was quiet enough to haer the s******ing when Anikin declared his undying love for Padme by the fire place. He's lucky she didn't mistake him for more firewood!

Lee Whalley
01-08-2003, 12:39 PM
I wanted to call him Luke but the leg-iron wouldn't let me.. Hayden is cool though..

Nice one for the Leicester Square pic.. here's another Chinese one, the sign in the picture with 8 on it indicates how many days there were to go..

Lewis
01-25-2003, 03:44 AM
Well.....I finally opened my Naboo Royal Starship!! And to tell you the truth i have mixed opinion's on it, I think the paint finish could have been better,it looks tacky to me, when you apply the stickers at the front of the ship before you put the nose section on it looks as if they forgot to give the other half of the sticker detail :( The chair wobble's about and has no use, the fly of panels fall of as soon as you breath on it.....etc, Sorry for the small but bad opinion of mine but im glad i only paid 35 fo it...:p

gambitguru
04-07-2004, 02:14 PM
im from hollywood ca

RussUAE
04-08-2004, 12:39 AM
I seem to conform pretty well too (which is probably the first time that's happened):

Male

200+ figures (nearly all loose)

However, as far as I can tell I'm the only star wars collector in the Middle East - hooray for online retailers is all I can say! Moving back to UK shortly, so I can't wait to see Star Wars items on the shops again.

And I love Amidala's starship. Am glad Lewis' got opened. Fantastic vehicle - though I need to change the batteries now.