PDA

View Full Version : Christmas 3PO/R2 figures

great gatzby
12-03-2002, 01:49 PM
Anyone know what's going on with the R2/3PO X-mas 2-packs? Where will they be available?
I saw them at the Mid-Ohio Con last weekend but they were charging $30. Can't believe that these will be more than $15 once they hit retail.

icatch9
12-03-2002, 01:58 PM
The collector data base says that they are a Wal Mart exclusive and going to be $15.00. It also says that they will be out this year, but with only 20 or so days left until Xmas Hasbro and WM better hurry. :stupid:

Jargo
12-03-2002, 03:56 PM
Only twenty days left to christmas? My god I'd better get making the damn toys for all the kids..... :eek:

I'm gonna get fired for sure this time.......

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is so appealing about this set?

JEDIpartner
12-03-2002, 04:13 PM
I dunno... I asked Jedi Drew the same question when I was talking to him on the phone about 30 minutes ago!

Mace Windex
12-04-2002, 12:07 AM
I have seen this set for sale in Orlando, Fl.. Interesting, but not worth buying in my opinion. I believe the price was $15 or $18.
Mace

LTBasker
12-04-2002, 12:15 AM
It's not that bad of a set, I've yet to open my second one though. Looks pretty nice in the package in person at least, could use alot more detail and articulation the figures though. They should've use the R2 w/ Holo Leia mold and gave 3PO a removeable coat and beard. One thing about the beard that's screwed up is they put some pink paint for the mouth area, which is really weird.

stad
12-04-2002, 01:16 AM
Although I haven't seen these in my area yet, my friend got one this past weekend from Knoxville Tenn. area. It looks okay, and I'm sure I will get one, but I don't see any major appeal in this either. Maybe just as a Christmas thing, I don't know.

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-04-2002, 04:07 AM
What's the appeal. Are you blind? :D
It's C3-P0 as santa and R2 with antlers on his head. What more could you want in the way of festive cheer.
Seriously though. I think it's a personal preference.
For my part I love it and can't wait to get one, but in general people seem less than enthusiastic.
I think it depends how keen you are on extreme tack.

sith_killer_99
12-04-2002, 04:29 AM
I bought mine at Wal-Mart last night, $13.73 +.82(tax0 for a grand total of $14.55.

As for the appeal, I think it's a nostalgia thing, based of the Ralph McQuarrie art work. It guess it's really an EU thing.:eek: ;)

It's just a nice piece that I will probably only pull out for the Holidays from now on.

Jargo
12-04-2002, 07:09 AM
Well obviously there's the McQuarrie thing going on but isn't it just a tad tacky? If it had been Santa Yoda I might have thought it was less so, that picture had some cute appeal, but i dunno, maybe it's just me because I don't buy into the whole Christmas thing - literally. Experience tells me that christmas is a time of great expense, great excess and lots of disappointment and anti-climax. I can't actually see the point in owning this set, what is the purpose of it? Are you supposed to shove it on the mantelpiece over the roaring log fire and marvel at it's plasticness or put it on the miscellaneous shelf in the area devoted to toys and marvel at how it doesn't fit with anything else?
Nostalgia for what exactly?
I'm just having a hard time trying to grasp this whole concept.

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-04-2002, 07:38 AM
OK. I'll try again.
It's C3P0 as santa and R2 with reindeer antlers on his dome.
(Jargo looks blankly at EH)
No. OK clearly you just don't get it.

EH yells SCROOGE real loud at Jargo.

;)

Jedi Master Silas
12-04-2002, 08:11 AM
I bought mine about 2 weeks ago at Wally World. I think it was $13 and some change. I wasnt to interested in it until I saw it in person. It's not a bad item IMO.

OC47150
12-04-2002, 08:38 AM
Found mine last night. It's better than I expected!!

Sentinel18725
12-04-2002, 09:15 AM
Still looking in the Chicago area. I hope they keep doing these in years to come! But let's keep it simple and to one holiday (no offense to those of other faiths). I really don't want to see Teemto dressed as the Easter Bunny, or a Gammorean Guard in an Orange Jack O'Lantern outfit! O.K. Maybe I do:crazed:

OC47150
12-04-2002, 09:43 AM
A Gammorean Guard as a pumpkin would be kinda cute!

But I agree with you, Sentinel.

If memory serves correct, the holiday figures spawned off Lucasfilm Christmas cards. I do remember seeing a card of Yoda in a Santa hat some time ago.

Jedi Drew
12-04-2002, 10:03 AM
I want to see one "in person" before I buy it. But I have yet to find it at Wally World. I may buy it just because it's a Christmas theme. We'll see......HH

OC47150
12-04-2002, 10:12 AM
The pictures don't do the set justice. It comes in a nice durable plastic shell. It's actually bigger than I thought.

JediCole
12-04-2002, 06:19 PM
Has anyone in the state of Texas seen these at a Wal-Mart?! As it has been pointed out, there are not many days left before Christmas and I have yet to find any at a single Wal-Mart in my area. This is typical of Wal-Mart around here. They get what everyone else gets, but put it all out a month later! I guess I'll have mine in late January!

Death Star Gimp
12-04-2002, 06:30 PM
This item will be very difficult (probably impossible) to buy at retail in Britain, so I bought mine today at a much higher price than I would normally pay, but after a long, hard days work I took it out of the bag and although I was knackered, it put a smile on my face. I don't think it's tacky, just tongue in cheek and it reminds us not to take it all so seriously.

JediCole
12-04-2002, 11:41 PM
By the way those of you who have found these sets in your local Wal-Marts...
Where in the stores are they kept? Are they in the Toy Department where one (like me) would expect to find them or have some idots put them on the Seasonal/Christmas aisles?
Please help. I don't want to waste my time looking in the wrong places!

Turbowars
12-06-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by JediCole
By the way those of you who have found these sets in your local Wal-Marts...
Where in the stores are they kept? Are they in the Toy Department where one (like me) would expect to find them or have some idots put them on the Seasonal/Christmas aisles?
Please help. I don't want to waste my time looking in the wrong places! Good question, I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING!

OC47150
12-06-2002, 11:44 AM
In the toy section, with the rest of the SW stuff.

Jayspawn
12-06-2002, 11:53 AM
I think it's a neat idea for a figure set. Santa Yoda would be cool, but I've already made my own. :D

Banthaholic
12-06-2002, 07:35 PM
I found this fun item today. It was in the toy department right next to the Star wars toys, and they had plenty of them. What I like about it, is that it's in a plastic bubble, making it quite easy to find a quality mint one.

Sentinel18725
12-06-2002, 09:11 PM
I believe in the last SW Insider (or maybe the one before that), they showed a couple of the cards when they were talking about gifts for the discreminating SW collector. One was with Yoda as Santa, another one showed, I believe, the Skywalker Ranch Fire engine with some of the gang hanging on.

BanthaPoodoo
12-09-2002, 02:09 PM
Got mine at my local WM. They had about 5 left when I got mine.

Right around $14. I think its pretty neat, more a novelty thing really. Great piece to add to a SW collection.

Found it in the SW toy section.

El Chuxter
12-09-2002, 03:06 PM
I found this a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised. I was planning to skip it, but couldn't pass it up. It seems to be going pretty quickly. I went one morning and there was an entire case that had just been put out. About eight hours later, I decided I wanted one ot open and went back. They were gone. :(

Obi-wedge
12-09-2002, 06:01 PM
There are tons in OKC and Norman. They are lined up on the toy aisle next to the other Star Wars stuff. I think I will be using mine more of a xmas decoration. Only out for the holidays.

stillakid
12-09-2002, 08:03 PM
Still, no sign of them in the North San Fernando Valley, CA. I think that the distribution elves went on strike again.

Dr Zoltar
12-10-2002, 01:41 PM
Found one in Puyallup, WA (near Tacoma). It was right under all the regular figures. I wasn't going to get it after looking at the on-line pictures, but in person it is much nicer. I thought Hasbro would "cheese out" with the quality of R2 and C-3PO, but they actually did a pretty nice job with it!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-10-2002, 09:32 PM
I'd better find these figures before Christmas. It wouldn't seem right to have them displayed post holiday, since our family quickly wraps up all the Christmas decorations shortly after Dec. 25.

Banthaholic
12-10-2002, 11:38 PM
These babies are selling like hotcakes by me.
I went to Wal-mart and they had almost 20 of them, the following day they had none.
If only they could clear out the Taun We's & Dexter's.
Heck maybe they should repackage the peg-warmers with Santa hats on the figures, a sure way to puch merchandise.

Turbowars
12-11-2002, 06:49 PM
I haven't see one! I guess I'll get it on-line:(

Darth Cruel
12-12-2002, 07:50 AM
Wal-Mart started out with 20-30 of these a week ago and they have been warming the shelves here since then (they still had about 12 or so yesterday)...and with good reason. I passed on them until they go on clearance. The back says that they are "Our gift to you". But cheesy figures like that at more than 7.00 per (after tax) is hardly a gift.

Being a Ralph M artwork creation...I hope these aren't indicative of the quality of the concept stormtrooper coming out.

Jedi Drew
12-12-2002, 09:23 AM
Haven't seen them around here either. Anyone know if each WM is getting only a few cases and then after those "Thats all she wrote???" :confused: :confused:

OC47150
12-12-2002, 09:44 AM
I don't think they'll be around long enough for clearance prices, Darth Cruel!

stillakid
12-12-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
Wal-Mart started out with 20-30 of these a week ago and they have been warming the shelves here since then (they still had about 12 or so yesterday)...and with good reason. I passed on them until they go on clearance. The back says that they are "Our gift to you". But cheesy figures like that at more than 7.00 per (after tax) is hardly a gift.

Being a Ralph M artwork creation...I hope these aren't indicative of the quality of the concept stormtrooper coming out.

Hey, DC, exactly which part of SoCal are you in? There isn't a sign of these things anywhere in the SF Valley.

Sentinel18725
12-12-2002, 03:24 PM
I can't wait until I drive to St.Louis. I can stop at four WalMarts on the way down if needed!

Bobdole
12-12-2002, 07:55 PM
I got 2 of them, and I didn't get them from Wal-mart and I didn't pay a collector an arm and a leg. hhhhmmmmm.......... I got them from retail..........want me to tell you?????? WALT DISNEY WORLD thats right they got them at DownTown Disney's Once Upon a Toy, 18.99 and they got loads of them, but there flying off the shelves.

Freedom
12-16-2002, 05:01 PM
Just found them here.