PDA

View Full Version : What should a SW fan buy? X-box, PS2 or Nintendo

Mace Windex
12-04-2002, 02:44 PM
I have been considering buying a gaming system and need advice.
#1 what system offers the most selection ofStar Wars games?
2. what system is the most economical? IE: games are cheaper, comes with two controllers or a bundle pack, etc
3. Does playstation II play PS1 games?
4. How reliable are the game systems?
Any help would be appreciated.

MAce

Rogue II
12-04-2002, 04:28 PM
I am biased to the PS2, but I won't knock the X-Box because I've never tried it.

The PS2 plays PS1 games it also plays DVDs.
I have not had any problems, nor have heard of any problems with the PS2. I do not own an X-Box, but I heard there can be an overheating problem.

Here are the current and upcoming Star Wars games for XBox:
Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Jedi Starfighter
Star Wars Obi-Wan
Star Wars Starfighter Special Edition

Here are the current and upcoming games for PS2:
Star Wars Bounty Hunter
Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
Star Wars Racer Revenge
Star Wars Jedi Starfighter
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Star Wars Starfighter
...and since you can play PS1 games on PS2:
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars Demolition
Star Wars: Episode I Jedi Power Battles
Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
Star Wars: Masters of Teräs Käsi
Star Wars: Rebel Assault II - The Hidden Empire

Both systems are $200. Check the Sunday Ads to see what you get with each.

It seems the price of PS2 games drops faster. They have a "Greatest Hits" games that sell for $20: Gran Turismo 3 is one of my favorite. There are many others.

Boba Rhett
12-04-2002, 04:34 PM
1. PS2: Starfighter, Jedi Starfighter, Bounty Hunter, The Clone Wars, Racer Revenge and Galaxies.

GC: Rogue Leader, Bounty Hunter, Jedi Outcast, The Clone Wars

Xbox: Galaxies: An Empire Divided, Jedi Outcast, Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars Jedi Starfighter, Obi-Wan, Starfighter Special Edition

They're pretty even when it comes to selection. It'll come down to what type of games you like I suppose.

2. PS2: $200. Comes with one controller and no games. (right? I'm not really sure.)

GC: Is $150 right now. It comes with one controller and no games. I feel that it is overpriced as it is. It should be going down to $100 in a few months or at least start bundling games with it. Sweet games are finally coming out for it now. :)

Xbox: $200. It comes with one controller and 2 games.

3. Yes.

4. All three are very reliable. I've heard reports of the GC freezing on certain games if it get's too dirty.

Some other things to think about:

PS2 and GC require the purchase of memory cards to save games. Xbox, however has a built in hard drive. A hard drive can be purchased for the PS2 though.

PS2 has by far the largest amount of games to choose from.

Although the GC has the lowest amount of games to choose from it has quite a few titles that scored over 90%.

You can rip music onto the Xbox.

If you feel the Xbox controller is to large, many Xbox's come with the smaller version of their controller which is the same size as the PS2 controller.

Both the PS2 and Xbox play dvds when you buy a special remote for them. ($20 - $30)

All three have/will have online capabilities. XBox just went online. The GC will not have as large of a MP game selection.

LTBasker
12-04-2002, 04:46 PM
Computer, Playstation 2 and Game Cube.

Who cares about Obi-Wan and Star Fighter "Special Edition." With PS2 and GC you can get pretty much any console game out there because of them usually crossing them over like Jedi Starfighter was PS2/X-Box, and Bounty Hunter and Clone Wars are PS2/GC. Also you can watch the movies on DVD on the PS2 if you don't already have a DVD player. :D

JediTricks
12-04-2002, 11:13 PM
Rhett, PS2 plays DVDs right out of the box w/out remote (it uses the controller), Xbox actually requires you to buy the remote before it'll play DVDs from what I understand.

Boba Rhett
12-04-2002, 11:43 PM
Oops, my bad. :) Yes, the Dual Shock 2 controller can be used for playing dvds.

mrmiller
12-05-2002, 09:37 AM
I must say, I own boththe Xbox and PS2, and find myself playing the Xbox much more. Most of the "Better" games come out for both systems, and the Xbox is normally better (exception Need for Speed). As for Star Wars games, all I can say is "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic." Xbox and Xbox live rule! I'm a big online gamer, but if you don't have Broadband or don't play online, it's not a factor.

As for value- Xbox is a little better than PS2. True, you have to buy a DVD playback kit to play DVD's, but you have a built in Hard Drive and Network. If you have PS2 you have to buy the Memory Cards and Network adapter seperate. And currently a PS2 Memory card is about the same price as the Xbox DVD playback kit, and the PS2 network adapter is about the same as the Xbox Live sign up kit (which comes with a headset that makes online awesome). So the only real advantages is 10 (or is it 20) gig hard drive vs. the 8 MB memory card meaning you're most likely going to be droping more money for memory cards. -Oh yea, and right now you get 2 games with the Xbox while the PS2 has none.

Now that I've talked up Xbox, I really like the PS2 also. And if you don't have a PSone, getting a PS2 opens you to a ton of games you might have missed out on. And I really like Racer Revenge ( I love racing games) which is only on PS2. Also, Bounty Hunter looks cool and is not on Xbox, but Xbox has the Ace in the hole Knights of the Old Republic.

BTW- I've never had a problem with either system for reliability.

So both have their ups and downs, and both are great systems. It's really up to you, but if you have Broadband and play online I say definately Xbox. I'd suggest going and selling off blood plasma every week so you can buy both. ;)

MATT - admitted game junkie looking for other SSGers to play Xbox live.

Mace Windex
12-08-2002, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the info guys! Now my favorite question...are there game cheats available for PS2? I love to play the invincible mode!
Mace

QLD
12-09-2002, 12:34 AM
best place to find game cheats is http://www.Gamefaqs.com

Dar' Argol
12-10-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by mrmiller
And currently a PS2 Memory card is about the same price as the Xbox DVD playback kit, and the PS2 network adapter is about the same as the Xbox Live sign up kit (which comes with a headset that makes online awesome). So the only real advantages is 10 (or is it 20) gig hard drive vs. the 8 MB memory card meaning you're most likely going to be droping more money for memory cards. -Oh yea, and right now you get 2 games with the Xbox while the PS2 has none.

Ok, I gotta correct a few things here MrMiller . . . Sorry;)

All prices by WM
PS2 Memory card - $24.96 or 2 for $34.96
X-Box DVD kit - $28.88
X-Box Live kit - not sure on the price of the kit, but online use costs $49.95 for 12 months
PS2 Modem - $34.96 + free certificate for Twisted Metal Black: Online + no cost for online use after that

As far as the HDD goes vs Memory card. The good thing with a Memory card is you can take your saves and games to a buddies house to play. For the X-Box . . guess what? You have the buy a *gasp* 8MB Memory Card for it to do that:D. Unless you want to log that box around. Besides, the X-Box has a 8GB Hard Drive. The PS2 Modem has the attachments for a HDD whenever Sony releases it. I bet it will be bigger then the X-Boxes with the ability to select a size of HDD. 10GB, 20GB, whatever.

For a comparison of all the Systems, PS2, GC, and X-Box, check out this:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/video-game5.htm

Now this only gives the technical data on each system. How they actually perform is different.

QLD
12-10-2002, 01:13 AM
The X-Box live kit is 49.99. You get one year online access, and the headset.

Best thing is I don't have to worry about a bunch of people with dialup killing my death matches in Unreal Championship!

I watched a friend play Socom, and it looked like the animation was 2 fps because of all of the lag.

With the memory cards, I can honestly say, I have never once, since the original playstation was released, taken my memory card anywhere. I can't think of any games that would necessitate that I do that.

I hope PS2 releases something that makes me want to play it online. Most likely that will be FFXI. Right now, I don't enjoy playing sports online, because of the way people change the game, and Socom is very glitchy. And Twisted Metal Black, well it's average at best IMO. I never cared much for the series.

Dar' Argol
12-10-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Best thing is I don't have to worry about a bunch of people with dialup killing my death matches in Unreal Championship!

Now this is a major problem that I have. You can only play using BroadBand. For those of us that cannot afford a cable or DSL right now, that counts us out. At least the PS2 has games that offer Dial-up. And those that have Broad and Dial have seperate games. Dial-ups cannot enter BroadBand rooms.

I watched a friend play Socom, and it looked like the animation was 2 fps because of all of the lag.

I know that game is only BroadBand . . . So why there was a lag I do not understand . . . but who knows:D

With the memory cards, I can honestly say, I have never once, since the original playstation was released, taken my memory card anywhere. I can't think of any games that would necessitate that I do that.

Now I've taken my card with my GT saves on it to my buddies to race their cars against mine. Plus I've taken Saves from Sports Games and what not.

And Twisted Metal Black, well it's average at best IMO. I never cared much for the series.

Now I think that game is great online. I'm on a dial-up right now, and granted its only 2 player with a Bot, but there is no lag what so ever. I can't wait to get a cable modem and see how great the 8 player mode is!!!:D

mrmiller
12-10-2002, 08:14 AM
Are you a PS2 Loyalist Dar' Argol? Like I said, I have both systems, and like them both. I just find the Xbox better.

Twisted metal black is a cool game, and online is OK. It just gets old fast. I think I'm getting spoiled with the Xbox live communicator, because Twisted Metal is one of those games you want to talk trash on. Also, lack of communitcation (short of pausing and typing a message) in Madden 2003 really kills it. You always want to shout out when you get a spectacular play.

I still like both systems, and don't see one being much better than the other. The only one I don't care for (and do not own) is the gamecube. But with Metroid and their library of titles comming up, I'm gonna have to pick one up. Right now I just perfer the Xbox.

=MATT=

QLD
12-10-2002, 11:33 AM
One thing I prefer with the X-Box is the significant decrease in loading times. Whena game is available on all 3 systems, I always get it on the X-Box, because of the lack of loading times.

Dar' Argol
12-12-2002, 12:15 AM
Are you a PS2 Loyalist Dar' Argol? Like I said, I have both systems, and like them both. I just find the Xbox better.

Twisted metal black is a cool game, and online is OK. It just gets old fast. I think I'm getting spoiled with the Xbox live communicator, because Twisted Metal is one of those games you want to talk trash on. Also, lack of communitcation (short of pausing and typing a message) in Madden 2003 really kills it. You always want to shout out when you get a spectacular play.

I still like both systems, and don't see one being much better than the other. The only one I don't care for (and do not own) is the gamecube. But with Metroid and their library of titles comming up, I'm gonna have to pick one up. Right now I just perfer the Xbox.

=MATT=

Loyalist . . . . . . . . . . . Hmmm, Maybe a little. Let me explain.

Back in the day (early 80's) while everyone esle were picking up Atari and Sega Master systems . . I got an Intelevision. Not that there is any thing wrong with that system, got the gaming bug into me. Then I went out and purchaced a NES and darn near destroyed the thing playing it so much. Ever sprain your thumb because you played half hour quarters in Double Dribble??? Yeah, I know, real stupid:rolleyes:. Anyway, I went from NES to a Sega Genesis that once again I purchaced. It was a G1 console, the ones with the headphones plug and exterior volume control. Many Many hours I spent on that system and I thought I found the company I wanted to stick with. I got the Sega CD attachment and the Sega 32X for it. Then Sony came out with Playstaion and I tried the first couple games at a buddies house and was not impressed. I hated the Playstation! So I went out on lauch day and paid over $300 for a Sega Saturn, 2 controlers, R/F switch, and 1 game. I loved that system. I had over 30 games for it and was continually buying more. I was planing to get the Extra Memory for it about 6 months later when I heard the news. The Saturn had Sunk!:( I spent by that time over $700-$900 on that system with assorted games and what-not and they killed it less then a year after launch! That ticked me off royally!! I could not believe it! I was through with Sega, I had my full of shut down systems and having to fork out more money for something newer. So I quite gaming for a bit. Then one day over at my buddy's who has a Playstaion, he shows me this game called Final Fantasy. I forget know which number it was, but it was very close to my beloved Phantasy Star series. Matter of fact, it was better!! A week later I got my tax return and went down to Wally Wolrd and purchased my first Playstation. I have been with them ever since . . . . . almost 5 years I think now.

Its not Loyalty that really keeps my PS bound, although for me, its the best system for my type of games, but more the $ issue. I have not bought many games like I use to because the income is not really there. So I cannot go out and just purchase a system on a whim anymore. I now have to carefully evaluate what is available, find out where I'm going to get my most return on investment, and where I can save the most $. That is why I love the PS2. It plays all the old games, so I do have a decent sized librairy, Most of the PS1 games are $20, and some of the PS2 games are $20, The modem was less then expected, and it takes dial up for some games(another plus). IF it only took BroadBand, I would not have it. I cannot afford Cable or DSL right now, no way. If I HAD to by the remote to watch DVD's, I would have no DVD's right now, (although a friend of mine got me the remote for my birthday, but I did not purchase it nor was I planning to). If I had to pay and Extra $50/year for online play in ADDITION to may ISP charge already, I would not be online with it. And there are even more money saving aspect involved.

But that's also only part of it. I like the GC. I think there is a really decent concept going on there and they fixed a lot of the problem I had with the N64, i.e. the controler. I still do not know if going to an Optical disc is the way to go or not, but they made that choice. And there are a lot of great games for it already with a modem on the way soon. IF I was to get another system, it would be the GC.

The reason I do not like the X-Box so much is reliablity issues. My store has had to replace that box 5 times now, and we might be working on our sixth. It over heats, and when that happens, the optical len mis-aligns and stops functioning. Now I know that we have ours on more then the adverage Gamer, but come on! The GC we've never replaced, and the PS2 we've replaced once. Reason - The launch model Numbers were rushed. There was a problem/bug with the DVD driver in the system. The browser window would come up and stay when a game or DVD was placed in the tray. Severe cases included the system not responding at all. The worse thing I heard for the X-Box so far is that a store in our company had one catch fire in the display case, resulting in the complete loss of everything in that 4 foot section. All the games, the Unit itself, and the Display case were lose. And E-Mail was sent to all Dept 5 manager about it, warning them about it and suggesting them to turn the systems off at night, to allow a "cooling period". That and some other issue with the system and peripherials is why I really do not like the X-Box. I gave it a chance when it came out, I really did, but it did not impress me. And if someone askes me at work which system to get, I will give them my honest opinion. Go either PS2 or GC, but I would not go X-Box.

But as always, this is just ONE persons View. I have to be a bit more selective when making major purchases like this. With a House payment, Car payment, plenty of bills, a daughter, and both my wife and I work at WM, I cannot afford to be careless with major spendages. BTW, sorry it was so long, but I've been getting a lot of flack recently here and else where about my views on this, so I've been a little defensive and more explaining then usual:D

mrmiller
12-12-2002, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
Ever sprain your thumb because you played half hour quarters in Double Dribble???

My god- how many 3 pointers from the corner could you launch in that time? Did you roll it? ;)

Its not Loyalty that really keeps my PS bound, although for me, its the best system for my type of games, but more the $ issue. I have not bought many games like I use to because the income is not really there. So I cannot go out and just purchase a system on a whim anymore. I now have to carefully evaluate what is available, find out where I'm going to get my most return on investment, and where I can save the most $. That is why I love the PS2. It plays all the old games, so I do have a decent sized librairy, Most of the PS1 games are $20, and some of the PS2 games are $20, The modem was less then expected, and it takes dial up for some games(another plus). IF it only took BroadBand, I would not have it. I cannot afford Cable or DSL right now, no way. If I HAD to by the remote to watch DVD's, I would have no DVD's right now, (although a friend of mine got me the remote for my birthday, but I did not purchase it nor was I planning to). If I had to pay and Extra $50/year for online play in ADDITION to may ISP charge already, I would not be online with it. And there are even more money saving aspect involved.

I see where you are going with it from a "Value" standpoint. But that is one of those things that depend on everyones situation. If you already have broadband, that's not a problem, if you already have a PSone, then you don't need a PS2 to play PSone games, and so on. But as which is a "Better" system that can be a multiheaded monster. What is Better as far as value and game selection would be PS2. What is better in sound and graphics would be Xbox. What is better in Game quality might just be GC with their exclusives.

The reason I do not like the X-Box so much is reliablity issues. My store has had to replace that box 5 times now, and we might be working on our sixth. And if someone askes me at work which system to get, I will give them my honest opinion. Go either PS2 or GC, but I would not go X-Box.

I know quite a few people with Xbox's, and have heard no real problems except for a frind of mine who triped over the power cord and screwed up the connector in the back. But the issures you speak of would concern someone who has experienced them. Then again, you can always just return it for a new one at you local Wal-Mart- you should know that ;) . How many do you recieve as non-working returns?

But as always, this is just ONE persons View. I have to be a bit more selective when making major purchases like this. With a House payment, Car payment, plenty of bills, a daughter, and both my wife and I work at WM, I cannot afford to be careless with major spendages. BTW, sorry it was so long, but I've been getting a lot of flack recently here and else where about my views on this, so I've been a little defensive and more explaining then usual:D

That's the great thing about these forums- we can express our own point-of-view comments. I just don't understand some people as "Loyalists". They swear by Nintendo because that's all they ever have owned, and haven't ever really tried out the other systems. Like everyone griping about the Xbox controller- it wasn't really bad at all. The new S-controller is better, but the original one was really comfortable in "adult" hands, and my hands are fairly small. Just people jumping one the complaint train, before they had even experienced it.

=MATT=

Dar' Argol
12-13-2002, 06:07 PM
My god- how many 3 pointers from the corner could you launch in that time? Did you roll it? ;)

That was an INSANE game!!! I think the final score was me 263 and my buddy at 267. It wsa a good game though. Couldn't move my thumb for 4 days! he he he:D

I see where you are going with it from a "Value" standpoint. But that is one of those things that depend on everyones situation. If you already have broadband, that's not a problem, if you already have a PSone, then you don't need a PS2 to play PSone games, and so on.

If I already had a broadband, yeah, it wouldn't be an issue. But that was my point, not everyone does. And for a company to say, "You can only play our system on Broadband!" is cutting out a major part of their target market. I think it should have been an option, like PS2 offers. Now there are some games that only play broadband, but those are games, not the whole system. I really want to play Socom . . . but I'm gonna have to wait till I get Cable:(. And on the PS2 to play PS1 games, that was the selling point (besides the DVD) for me. I did not want to feel that I have wasted X amount of money on games that I will no longer play. I still play my PS1 games, even thought I got rid of my PS1. The backwards compatibility was one of the best things Sony could have done to strengthen(sp) custome loyalty, which is what all companies are tring to do . . .right?? and it was also great that I could use my old controlers too. Now, they don't have all the analog buttons as the Dual Shock 2, but does that really matter when your are thrashing/getting thrashed buy your buddy in a fighting game/sports game/whatever game. Not really. Its just great having the extra controler or 4 or 5:D

But as which is a "Better" system that can be a multiheaded monster. What is Better as far as value and game selection would be PS2. What is better in sound and graphics would be Xbox. What is better in Game quality might just be GC with their exclusives.

Yes, the better system issue can be a monster, and hurt some ppl's feelings too. I really don't think we can decide on a better system award yet. Mainly b/c none of these systems have been pushed to their limit. Heck, they were still pushing the PS1 back when they brought out the PS2. So "Who's Better" still remains to be seen. But as you said, It depends on everyone situation.

I know quite a few people with Xbox's, and have heard no real problems except for a frind of mine who triped over the power cord and screwed up the connector in the back. But the issures you speak of would concern someone who has experienced them. Then again, you can always just return it for a new one at you local Wal-Mart- you should know that ;) . How many do you recieve as non-working returns?

You know, I'm glad that they have not been having problems. Because there is nothing worse then having spent a lot, and having it not work. But as I said, we run ours more then the adverage Gamer, and these are the problems the store is having.

Yeah, you can return it to WM . . . . but some stores are starting to crack down on that. The insist that you return in within the 15 or 90 day (I can't remember which) period, or it gets sent out for repair. What we are seeing a lot of now is the new X-Box's coming back saying, "The free games were not inside". I really think we have some 'tards working that service desk. They need ppl with overall experiance, not just a warm body. The best excuse I saw was, "Could not find a place to put it", and we friggin took it back!!!!!!! IDIOTS! *sigh*

That's the great thing about these forums- we can express our own point-of-view comments. I just don't understand some people as "Loyalists". They swear by Nintendo because that's all they ever have owned, and haven't ever really tried out the other systems. Like everyone griping about the Xbox controller- it wasn't really bad at all. The new S-controller is better, but the original one was really comfortable in "adult" hands, and my hands are fairly small. Just people jumping one the complaint train, before they had even experienced it.

=MATT=

Yeah, I like the atmosphere here as well. I've been attacked trying to explain why I am PS loyal. But I would call me a true loyalist. Kinda like SW fans. There is:

The fan - Saw the movies and liked them
The Collector - Saw the movies, liked them, likes to collect the toys.
The Fanboys - Saw the movies, loved them, collects everything SW they can get their hands on
The Freaks - Saw all the movies thousands of times, LOVES every one of them, believes this is really going on, and thinks they can become a true Jedi.

I saw a guy like that on some MTV show . . .really scary. But I feel that is the way gamers can be. I'm kinda on the Collector level . . . I think:sur:. I gave GC and X-Box a chance when they came out. I liked the GC . . . . . the X-Box just really did not do it for me. But then again, neither did the Playstation at first;)

gibbyhayes
12-22-2002, 08:30 AM
You guys sure can ramble on, but thanks for all the valuable input. I've been struggling with the "which system to buy" issue for quite awhile. In this room full of experts I've learned everything I needed to know.:)

mrmiller
12-23-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by gibbyhayes
You guys sure can ramble on, but thanks for all the valuable input. I've been struggling with the "which system to buy" issue for quite awhile. In this room full of experts I've learned everything I needed to know.:)

Glad to hear you'll be getting an Xbox ;)

=MATT=

Dar' Argol
12-27-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by gibbyhayes
In this room full of experts I've learned everything I needed to know.:)

Geez, you sure know how to make a guy blush. Geez, thanx;) :D

I'm just glad that we could help you make a decision about what system will be best for you. No matter which system it is*coughcoughPS2coughcough*:D :D :D

SithDroid
12-28-2002, 12:36 PM
I'd say go with a Gamecube. I have one and I absolutely love it. The controls are easy, plus they have a ton of cool games. The PS2 has way too many buttons.

Leatherneck
12-29-2002, 06:59 PM
Best of all, just get a high-end PC. :)

Bobajames
12-29-2002, 09:46 PM
i like my gamecube also... it hasn't had very long loading times and the graphics are nice and sharp. the controller is put near the most comfortable thing i have ever held in my life.. plus the itty bitty cds are so darned cute!

mini-rock
12-30-2002, 02:51 AM
Now as an owner of both systems I would still lean towards the XBOX. I got the PS2 for Christmas b/c of Clone Wars and Bounty Hunter, but the gameplay and image (on a 65" Hi-def RPTV) is more fluid with the XBOX. Both are great systems, and whatever one whoever decides to go with will be happy.

mrmiller
12-30-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
I'd say go with a Gamecube. I have one and I absolutely love it. The controls are easy, plus they have a ton of cool games. The PS2 has way too many buttons.

My goodness, are you crazy?... Nintendo hasn't got a controller right since Super NES days.

=MATT=

QLD
12-30-2002, 01:42 PM
The only issue I have with the Gamecube, is the controller being just a tad too small. I have big hands, and I have a hard time keeping my thumb on the analog stick, and using the control pad as well.

mrmiller
12-30-2002, 01:44 PM
And what's with the buttons? Why not just some normal easy to reach and use buttons? Why, Nintendo? Why!

=MATT=

Dar' Argol
12-30-2002, 08:22 PM
And what's with the buttons? Why not just some normal easy to reach and use buttons? Why, Nintendo? Why!

=MATT=

Not only that but you've got 17 C button!!! And each one does something different! I tried playing the demo of James Bond something and kept getting killed b/c of those stupid C button!!:D SNES had the best controller, 6 buttos, all easy to reach, and nothing too confusing. But the graphics on the LunchBox are good though, I have to admit that. If I was to get another system, it would be the GC.

JediTricks
12-30-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
I'd say go with a Gamecube. I have one and I absolutely love it. The controls are easy, plus they have a ton of cool games. The PS2 has way too many buttons. I gotta go with DA and MrMiller on the controller issue, I think the Gamecube controller layout makes way less sense than the PS2.

mini-rock
12-31-2002, 02:44 AM
Maybe we shoud have an SSG poll. "What gaming platform do you prefer?"

Lord Malakite
12-31-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock
Maybe we shoud have an SSG poll. "What gaming platform do you prefer?"

We did. :D

The buttons on the N64 and GCN aren't that bad. They feel quite comfortable on the hands if you ask me. If you really feel that way though, you should send your complaints to Mr. Miyamoto, creator of the Super Mario and Legend of Zelda games, since he designed both.

JediTricks
01-03-2003, 04:41 AM
Hmm, Malakite defending the N64 & GC controller... maybe his "moderator" title needs to be rethinked. :evil: :D ;) j/k

mrmiller
01-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
We did. :D

The buttons on the N64 and GCN aren't that bad. They feel quite comfortable on the hands if you ask me. If you really feel that way though, you should send your complaints to Mr. Miamoto, creator of the Super Mario and Legend of Zelda games, since he designed both.

Mr. Miamoto, may know about game design, but he obviously knows squat about ergonomics. ;) Did he design the Power Glove too? Or maybe R.O.B. the robot? Or Teddy Rupskin?

=MATT=

Rogue II
01-03-2003, 10:03 AM
I don't have the Gamecube, but I have the N64. I can play PS2 for hours with no problem, but if I try to do the same on the N64, my wrist and thumb start to ache.

Lord Malakite
01-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Mr. Miamoto, may know about game design, but he obviously knows squat about ergonomics. ;) Did he design the Power Glove too? Or maybe R.O.B. the robot? Or Teddy Rupskin?

=MATT=

The Power Glove was designed by Mattel.

R.O.B. the robot was created by Nintendo of America to trick stores and consumers into buying a NES in 1985 (after the great video game crash of 1984) by saying it wasn't a video game console. Instead they marketed it as something you would find in your home entertainment center. This is also why the NES design is so dratically different from other cartridge based sysems, including its Japanese counterpart, the Famicom.

Teddy Ruxpin was a doll. Enough said there, I hope. ;)

QLD
01-03-2003, 12:38 PM
It's Teddy RUXPIN!!!!!!! RUXPIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHat's wrong with you people.....

;)

mrmiller
01-03-2003, 01:02 PM
I hope you didn't take me literaly Lord Malakite. I definately need to start using the "sarcasm" face.

=MATT=

Lord Malakite
01-03-2003, 02:46 PM
No, I didn't take you seriously. I had nothing else to do at the moment though, so I responded. ;)

Dar' Argol
01-06-2003, 01:01 AM
Oh Geez!! The PowerGlove!!!! I almost forgot about that nasty thing!! Almost as bad as the PowerPad, that stupid pad that you could play Track and Feild on by running on the numbers and Jumping?? Man, sneaky way to get kids to exercise!!

I still have to say though that the PS controller is one of the best that I have used. The nasty NES box controler dug into your plams after a while with those sharp, nasty edges!:frus:

Lord Malakite
01-06-2003, 01:18 AM
You can always buy the new dog bone shaped NES controllers off of Nintendo's website Dar. They were based on the SNES controller design.

Dar' Argol
01-06-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
You can always buy the new dog bone shaped NES controllers off of Nintendo's website Dar. They were based on the SNES controller design.

I don't have my NES anymore Malakite, I was just commenting on nasty controlers:D

QLD
01-06-2003, 02:35 AM
The only issue I have with the PS controller, is the location of the analog sticks. In some games you use both, and it's difficult to do so, and still use the buttons. The X-Box's controller is a much better setup for that.

Though I think the SNES controller, or the Genesis 6-button controller are still the best ever.

JediTricks
01-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Gah! I hated the Genesis 6-button controller, that piece of crap would always trigger the button beneath it whenever I'd reach for the top buttons.

QLD
01-06-2003, 08:56 PM
I never had that problem JT, and I have rather large hands and fingers.

The only problem I ever had with Genesis controllers, were the buttons sticking.

12inch Lando
01-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Gee... I hope you don't have that problem with your computer keyboard QLD.:p

QLD
01-07-2003, 06:18 PM
Oh my GOD! You actually posted?

And no, I have no Peter North problems with my keyboard.
;)

My genesis controller sticking problems were mostly due to the erotic nature of Night Trap. :crazed:

Dar' Argol
01-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
The only issue I have with the PS controller, is the location of the analog sticks. In some games you use both, and it's difficult to do so, and still use the buttons. The X-Box's controller is a much better setup for that.

But most of the games that you are using both analog sticks, you only have to use the R1/R2/L1/L2 buttons. there are not that many that require you to use the triangle, square, circle, and X. Well, not for vital functions anyway.

Rogue II
01-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Speaking of getting a new system...

My wife just got a call today saying that she won an X-Box from Comedy Central. She almost forgot we entered their Thanksgiving sweepstakes.

Of course, the first thing she says is "great, that's all we need, another video game in the house." But, it should be here next week nonetheless.

QLD
01-10-2003, 12:34 PM
That's awesome Rogue II!

I think you'll enjoy it. make sure you pick up Halo :)

Rogue II
01-10-2003, 01:31 PM
I heard Halo is pretty cool. I really haven't read much about XBox games, so I need to do some reading to find out what games I should put on my want list. Jedi Outcast and Halo may be the first two.

mrmiller
01-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Both of those games are awesome, once you play Halo you'll see why it was "Game of the Year" on many lists. Splinter Cell and Mechassualt are two very cool new games to get. And if you have broadband I'd highly recommend Unreal Championship.

=MATT=

QLD
01-10-2003, 06:50 PM
Also, Project Gotham Racing is another game that you can probably get for cheap.

Rogue II
01-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Well, we went out today and looked at XBox games. They really don't have any games my wife would play. We're considering exchanging the XBox for a Gamecube. Gamecube has Jedi Outcast and Rogue Leader for me, and all of the Mario games and Animal Crossing for her.