PDA

View Full Version : new Anakin and Padme and their new bodies

derek
12-05-2002, 07:33 PM
i received the new anakin and padme today from the UPS man, and after taking them out of their boxes, i looked them over for about 5 minutes and then began the process of pulling their heads and clothes off.:)

Padme

the barbie body she comes with is just horrible. it has no pose-ability, and is so skinny it makes her head look even bigger than it really is. i swapped it out with a LOTR arwen body and it is much better. i thought i'd never get the hands through the sleeves, and i'm amazed i didn't tear the fabric, and the shirt was too short, so it had to be sewn to her pants!:crazed: this is an OK likeness of natalie portman, a lot more accurate than the previous padme "dolls". the head should of been a lot smaller, but is no where near as big as the prototype photos we saw.

if hasbro had used their jane body on this figure, along with a smaller head with molded hair and not painted her face so pale, it would of been a 100% better. i'll probably get another padme when they come out at retail so i can make the "ripped" shirt version, just because i'm a sucker;)

Anakin

anakin comes with the same body as the european exclusive luke skywalker with "saber swinging" action. but this feature, which is actually just a post on anakin's lower back is useless since his clothes are so bulky.

i pulled anakin's head off and put it on a spare blue box body i had because the skin tone matches well, and the GI Joe body is just too short. again, hasbro included the orange undershirt that just looks horrible, so i replaced it with a "defense of naboo qui-gon" shirt and it looks much better.
the removable arm on the anakin figure is fairly useless since it pops out at the slightest tug, so having anakin on a newer, better articulated body is a big plus, and the loss of use of the mechanical arm is no big deal.

this version of anakin dosen't sport as huge a mellon as the previous anakin, but isn't as good a likeness(not that the first release was so great). as good as the jango and dooku
sculpts are, this sculpt is a big let-down. and i'm not too crazy about a second anakin in his jedi garb. this means we'll probably get yet a third version if/when the anakin/swoop bike are released.

overall, these figures leave a lot to be desired. only stinkers like all three chewbaccas and the original vader keep these two new figures from claiming the title of "worst figures ever";) (without modifications). with the changes i made to better bodies, my opinion of these figures increase a bit, but they could of been so much better.

Ook
12-05-2002, 07:45 PM
Dude, that Anakin looks like Ray Park.....

Jedi Master Silas
12-05-2002, 08:19 PM
I dont like the Anakin head sculpt at all. I thought it wasnt that bad until I saw this pic. The sculpt itselfs isnt bad but IMO it doesnt look like Hayden at all. The outfit is cool.

JediTricks
12-05-2002, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the pic derek. Sadly, you just saved me $40 because there's NO way I'm buying either of these turkeys. So far, I only have one 12"er from AOTC, Dooku, and until the SBD goes on sale, it looks like it's going to stay that way for quite a while. I used to consider myself a big collector of SW 12", but Hasbro has beaten that out of me. :(

LTBasker
12-05-2002, 11:05 PM
Padme looks like a bobble head.

And Anakin is too ridgid in the face, neither look very good. Glad I won't worry about picking these up, I'm just trying to get a few select 12"ers if any at all.

Turbowars
12-06-2002, 02:59 PM
Padme looks like a dude, if you know what I mean.;)

JediTricks
12-06-2002, 05:19 PM
I think Anakin looks a little like Michael Rappaport. :D

InsaneJediGirl
12-06-2002, 08:50 PM
Anakin looks like a game show host:crazed:Hmm..I think I'll just pick up the Anakin that was released in April..or wait until next year.Something better HAS to come along(Maybe the one with the removable arm will be good?).

stillakid
12-06-2002, 09:59 PM
That picture represents one of the prime reasons I never collected the 12" line. The heads are too big for their bodies and are usually really bad likenesses to boot. It is amazing to me that they can create such good reproductions on a 3" scale yet screw the larger versions up so badly on a consistent basis. Honestly, how is that possible? Unless of course they're going for that f'd up look.

Turbowars
12-06-2002, 11:50 PM
Well yes Stillakid, HasBlow goes for the F'd up look on every other wave. The Zucky wave is great for Hasbeen, so maybe, just maybe we will get another great wave soon.

derek
12-07-2002, 10:19 PM
here is another of anakin and padme, version 1.2 :)

mini-rock
12-08-2002, 02:31 AM
I think Padme looks ok, Anakin ehh, and Geonosian good, but still much better than half of the OT figs. Thanks for the pics derek.:)

JEDIpartner
12-08-2002, 10:39 AM
Oooh... Ick! The first Anakin that came out had him looking like a 12 year old. This one has him looking FAR too old! His head looks like... geez, I dunno... some smarmy ex-jock you'd run into at a club somewhere. That's SO not Anakin. The Padme still doesn't look much like Miss Natalie. I think the best one of her was done for the "Defense of Naboo" two-pack.

Jayspawn
12-10-2002, 10:22 AM
The Anakin looks terrible. The 1st Anakin 12" Looked a lot more like Hayden. It looks worse because he's sculpted with some expression. I hate it when Hasbro does that.

Padme has too big a head. The likeness is off. And the body is too small and skinney. Hasbro really has a problem with 12" female bodies.

Clowntrooper
12-10-2002, 05:13 PM
derek, your lying. Anakin has not the European Luke body.
And even your photo is lying, enlarging the heads 15 % by perspective distortion.

Clowntrooper
12-10-2002, 05:23 PM
Check it out.

derek
12-10-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Clowntrooper
derek, your lying. Anakin has not the European Luke body.
And even your photo is lying, enlarging the heads 15 % by perspective distortion.

if you had taken the time to read my initial post, you would of know that the anakin in the photo is on a BLUE BOX TOYS body, and padme is on a LORD OF THE RINGS "ARWEN" BODY.

ANAKIN DID COME WITH THE SAME BODY as the european luke, as seen in this photo. anakin is on the left, luke on the right. feel free to apologize anytime.;) as for enlarging the heads,or distorting the photo, i have done neither.:confused: all i did with the photo was crop it a little and reduce the size so the fourm would accept it.

gtrain29
12-11-2002, 12:30 AM
I imagine I'll get the padme, even though its "iffy", and the geonosian looks pretty good, too. That anakin, though, OH, HOW HORRID!!!
Aside from the fact that it looks nothing like hayden, the face looks like that of a 45 yr old.

I thought they did a decent job with him the first time and really don't understand why in the third Clones wave they released him again with the same outfit and a worse face sculpt?!

Oh well. . .

JediTricks
12-11-2002, 05:46 PM
Clowntrooper, perhaps you forgot to take into account the angle at which the pic was taken. You can clearly see the pic isn't straight on, the angle from the bottom to the top of the computer minitower is at a constant taper not simply 2 different sizes, and you can see the surface of the desk rather than just the edge. That's a natural angle of perspective, not a distorted one, if it was distorted the table would be flat but the minitower would be angled irregularly.

Hey derek, can we see the back of those Euro bodies? I want to see the tab for the action gimmick.

derek
12-11-2002, 06:02 PM
Hey derek, can we see the back of those Euro bodies? I want to see the tab for the action gimmick.

sure JT.:)

the tab on the back of anakin is a little longer than luke's, and as you can see, anakin's tab is brown, but luke's is flesh-colored.

anakin's torso dosen't swivel nearly as well as the luke body. this post could easily be sawed off, if one so desired, but the clothes hide it fairly well.

mini-rock
12-11-2002, 11:34 PM
What's Padme looking at?:D

JediTricks
12-12-2002, 08:10 PM
mini-rock has a dirty mind! :D

derek, thanks for the (disturbing ;)) pic, very informative. That is way different than what I pictured in my head, I pictured something more like 12" Electronic Maul's tab.

Clowntrooper
12-23-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by derek
ANAKIN DID COME WITH THE SAME BODY as the european luke

The European Luke body does not have interchangable arms.

Originally posted by JediTricks
...the angle at which the pic was taken. You can clearly see the pic isn't straight on...

That's a good definition of perspective distortion.

JediTricks
12-24-2002, 06:07 AM
Yeah, but I thought you were saying the image was manipulated digitally; when you use words like "lying", it insinuates an active attempt to deceive. I don't think it's a case of deliberately-forced perspective here, and I automatically took in the natural perspective of the pic when I viewed it.

As for the arms, I don't see a difference in the arms in this pic beyond color: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=203801

mini-rock
12-24-2002, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
As for the arms, I don't see a difference in the arms in this pic beyond color: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=203801

Agreed. It looks exactly the same to me too.