PDA

View Full Version : Hayden Christensen to Beef Up- how big is he?

mrmiller
12-06-2002, 08:24 AM
I read the news post about how Hayden Christensen is going to "Beef Up". To me he seems like he is a pretty big kid. Not to "Beefy" but a tall guy anyhow. Does anyone know how tall he is? I'd guess he is well over 6' tall.

=MATT=

The Overlord Returns
12-06-2002, 09:10 AM
he's skinny mon.......

JEDIpartner
12-06-2002, 09:33 AM
InsaneJediGirl asked me my opinion about this a couple days ago. In all honesty, i would be really surprised if Hayden were to get REALLY big in the next few months. I have been working out for a long time and I am about as big as I am going to get without any "enhancing" drugs. I know that, in order to pack on a lot of muscle, one must sacrifice being lean. Hayden looks rather lean at the moment. He would have to eat a LOT and put on quite a bit of fat in the process of putting on muscle. After the muscle came on... that's when you shed the fat.

Judging by his frame... I think it is possible for them to put about 20-30 pounds of muscle on him within the time before shooting. He looks like a high metabolism sort, so it will be a difficult road for him.

I suppose I would use Christopher Reeves' "bulking" to play Superman. His build was similar to Hayden's before he got the role... Even in the film... he was not all THAT big. He was more muscled in proportion to his frame rather than to the extent Superman had been drawn in the comics. Larger, but not huge.

I think Hayden was 6'1?

mrmiller
12-06-2002, 09:45 AM
At his age, with a proper workout and diet, he could gain substantial mass in 6 months to a year. Besides, he's making enough money that he should be able to make time for a 2 hour workout a day, not like he has to go to work or take care of the family.He should be able to put on some size, and especially in his lats, chest, and shoulders, which will make him look much larger even without huge arms or legs.

I was guessing he might even be taller than that, more like 6'3" or so. In the scenes with Ewan and Padme he looks tall, but they are not real tall either. But in the scene with Ian McDurmid he looks really tall. Still 6'1" is taller than most.

=MATT=

The Overlord Returns
12-06-2002, 09:56 AM
He's got an almost identical frame and body type to myself, ie: skinny.

He's never going to be a "beefy" guy suffering from roid rage. The best he could do is to look like Brad Pitt ala fight club........

JEDIpartner
12-06-2002, 10:29 AM
That's what I am thinking as well. I know plenty of guys with his build who have spent so much money and time trying to get big... they just can't.

Jayspawn
12-06-2002, 10:44 AM
Hayden has at least 6 months to a year before he starts filming, so he can get some good work done in that time.

I wonder what Obi-Wan will look like in Episode III?

The Overlord Returns
12-06-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Jayspawn

I wonder what Obi-Wan will look like in Episode III?

Hopefully they'll either let him have PROPER long hair, or cut it short to further tie him to ANH ben....

anything but that silly half mullet............what were they thinking?????????

The Overlord Returns
12-06-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
That's what I am thinking as well. I know plenty of guys with his build who have spent so much money and time trying to get big... they just can't.

I don't know why anyone would want to be HUGE like a body builder. I don't know about *** aesthetics so much, but 95% of the women I meet find a slimmer body type MUCH more appealing than that of the "poppin steroids 5 times a day" look.....

stillakid
12-06-2002, 11:17 AM
Forget his size, how do you resolve the difference between his soft-spoken girlish voice and accent with the deep and foreboding tenor of James Earl Jones?

Yeah, yeah, I know he's in a mask with a microphone and all that, but even using that to rationalize it out doesn't quite bridge the gap.

Oy, this Anakin casting has been all wrong from the start. I don't believe for a second that Jake looks anything like a younger version of Hayden or visa-versa. Now Jake has a round Charlie Brown head that could pass as a younger version of Sebastion Shaw (dead Anakin), but Hayden (who is supposed to be more like old Anakin) isn't even close.

So, with that in mind, it doesn't make a lick of difference how big Hayden is.

I think to really have a story that doesn't seem so disjointed, GL should have started the story with Anakin as a teenager, then have Episode II show him as a guy in his 30's. This jump from rash teen to crusty old man (even in ANH) is just too much.

The Overlord Returns
12-06-2002, 11:18 AM
ok, apparently you can't say *** :rolleyes: so...I meant "homosexual" aesthetics, or attractions.....

Rogue II
12-06-2002, 11:29 AM
***Warning Potential EU answer***:crazed:

Theory 1: After Anakin battles Obi-Wan, he could have needed some plastic surgery. If you believe the volcano theory, he could also have burned his voice-box. Then, while recovering from his wounds and being fit for his Vader outfit, he sat around eating potato chips and bon bons. That caused him to gain some more weight. After he finally got in his Vader armor, he began working out. By ANH, he could lift rebel Captains by the throat 2 feet off the ground using only one hand.

Theory 2: The process of going from Jedi to Sith also changes your voice. Hey, remember that episode of the Brady Bunch where the middle Brady boy's voice was changing? ha ha ha:D...ok, that was dumb:(.

JEDIpartner
12-06-2002, 11:30 AM
I think it really depends... skinny guys are referred to as "twinks" (as in "Twinky Boys"). Me... I just prefer guys who LOOK like guys. Not little emaciated wimps or children...

All that preference business aside... as far as the voice aspect goes, the thing that is even more annoying is the fact that Hayden's accent is clearly of a North American individual. Sebastian Shaw's accent was British. I can get over the fact that Hayden's voice isn't as deep as James Earl Jones' voice... but how did he acquire a british accent whilst in that suit???

Darth Vellner
12-06-2002, 02:20 PM
I think it really depends... skinny guys are referred to as "twinks" (as in "Twinky Boys"). Me... I just prefer guys who LOOK like guys. Not little emaciated wimps or children...

I thought that was a "***" term for young, thin "***" men...?
"Not that theres anything wrong with that"

All that preference business aside... as far as the voice aspect goes, the thing that is even more annoying is the fact that Hayden's accent is clearly of a North American individual. Sebastian Shaw's accent was British. I can get over the fact that Hayden's voice isn't as deep as James Earl Jones' voice... but how did he acquire a british accent whilst in that suit???

When I was 11 (about 14 years ago) "we" ( mom-dad-me)went to alabama(Sp?)to visit my aunt (born and raised in IN. but has a southern accent)..We were there for 3 weeks and my dad came back with a southern accent.....your not born with an accent so Anakin just picked it up somewhere?? ;)

stillakid
12-06-2002, 02:36 PM
but how did he acquire a british accent whilst in that suit???

Haven't you seen Star Wars? ALL the bad guys are British.

The Overlord Returns
12-06-2002, 02:42 PM
True enough.......

If there's one lesson to be learned from star wars, it's this:

All British people are evil.

JEDIpartner
12-06-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
True enough.......

If there's one lesson to be learned from star wars, it's this:

All British people are evil.

Perhaps he just ran into Harry Potter and fancied his little accent and adopted as his own. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Darth Vellner
I thought that was a "***" term for young, thin "***" men...?
"Not that theres anything wrong with that"

Well, yeah... that was to what I was responding in the previous post...

derek
12-07-2002, 01:55 AM
how tall hayden really is is still undecided. IMDB lists him at 6' or 6'1". i think he's about 5'10", based on photos of him and natalie, who's 5'3", standing side by side. and i read of an account of a guy who met hayden(he sat behind him at a movie), and the guy was suprised that hayden wasn't that tall.

i would bet hayden weighs about 165 pounds. look how thin he is on the balcony scene on naboo, when he's in his undershirt.

so how big will hayden get? no where near david prowse territory, but i think he could easily bulk up like edward norton did for "American History X" . some performance enhancing drugs(steroids) taken under a doctors supervision for a short period should do the trick.:)

as for anakin's "girly" voice in episode 2, compaired to the jones deep voice of vader fame, i have no problem with the difference in anakin's voice being explained as altered and distorted by an amplified speaker when the helmet is on .

JEDIpartner
12-08-2002, 10:08 AM
Also... perhaps his vocal chords were damaged during the battle... possibly scorched from the heat?

QLD
12-08-2002, 11:12 AM
I would rather they beef up his acting skills if they are going to work on anything.

scruffziller
12-08-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
He's got an almost identical frame and body type to myself, ie: skinny.

He's never going to be a "beefy" guy suffering from roid rage. The best he could do is to look like Brad Pitt ala fight club........

Sounds like from EPS 2, he was already suffering from roid rage.

Megs 2
12-09-2002, 11:35 AM
He should take a lot of those supliment weight gain mixes. Hayden should concentrate on his upper body: work those triceps, biceps, back, chest. Ouch, I'm already sore. Due to his frame, Hayden might have more definition than mass. So I think he should bulk up by using more weight & less reps. I could go on but I don't want to bore anyone. :zzz:

mini-rock
12-11-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Megs 2
He should take a lot of those supliment weight gain mixes. Hayden should concentrate on his upper body: work those triceps, biceps, back, chest. Ouch, I'm already sore. Due to his frame, Hayden might have more definition than mass. So I think he should bulk up by using more weight & less reps. I could go on but I don't want to bore anyone. :zzz:

He doesn't even really need to take weight gain mixes, a simple meal replacement like Myoplex or the really good stuff from VPX would do great. He could put on approx. 20lbs of mass or 5-10lbs of quality lean muscle within a year by following a good diet, and adding some of the excellent (legal) steroid precursors like 19nor or again some of the awesome VPX products, and sticking to a good routine. The problem is he's so tall it would take about 30-40lbs for there to be a huge difference. I guess it all depends on what GL is going for. Hopefully it's just for more of a muscular look than mass (fat).:)

JEDIpartner
12-11-2002, 09:32 AM
Personally speaking... he'd look a lot better if he put on some MASS... he'd look like less of a chump... :stupid:

mini-rock
12-11-2002, 09:39 AM
Well, don't judge him b/c he's skinny. Those are the ones you gotta watch out for.;)

therock0603
12-16-2002, 02:04 PM
You'd be surprised how much one could beef up in such a short time. If you go through really hard work-outs and all, you could gain quite a bit of wait in muscle. My best friend went away to Fort Knox for army basic training for 10 weeks and came back with 20 more pounds of muscle. You just have to know what to do.

P.S. My friend was skinny too.

gtrain29
12-27-2002, 03:23 PM
Is Hayden really that short?
I remember when he was cast as Anakin he was listed as 6'4". I believed that after seeing him in the movie.
Either way, though, that would be great if he could bulk up for E3. 30-40 lbs might be possible even if its not all muscle. Robert De Niro and Tom Hanks have gone through similar 40 lb swings during filming of a movie (Raging Bull & Castaway) -- although their mass was mostly fat. Even some fat with muscle would help give Anakin more mass.

ThomasLane
01-16-2003, 09:43 AM
I don't see why it should matter how big Hayden is compared to "Vader". Isn't Vader "more machine now than man"? Maybe Darth Vader is Anakin's head attached to a Super-Battle-Droid's body. (let's hope not, but the point is, physically, Darth Vader is very different from Anakin Skywalker).

Tom

mini-rock
01-16-2003, 12:44 PM
True. I think GL may have Hayden "beef up" either for some shirtless scenes to please the ladies or possibly in something like Luke's uniform on Dagobah from ESB except more Jedi like while kicking Jedi butt. Anakin also may be focusing on his physical powers instead of spiritual. Remember what Yoda said "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter". A possible connection?:)

notafinga
01-29-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

Oy, this Anakin casting has been all wrong from the start. I don't believe for a second that Jake looks anything like a younger version of Hayden or visa-versa. Now Jake has a round Charlie Brown head that could pass as a younger version of Sebastion Shaw (dead Anakin), but Hayden (who is supposed to be more like old Anakin) isn't even close.

I actually think Hayden does look a bit like an older version of Jake. With his hair spiked, Jake looks less Charlie Brownish, and I have no problem seeing him as a younger version of Haydens Anakin.

I agree with the Sebastian Shaw/ Hayden difference though, but sometimes I see older people with scarred heads and purple faces and have trouble picturing them as the younger version of themselves.

ummm... that goes for ghosts too.:rolleyes:

Jargo
04-07-2003, 02:04 PM
If lucas is any sort of movie maker it doesn't matter if hayden isn't bulked up because he can make him seem biger by using low angles to film him. A false impression of being broader than he is and also taller.
Vader is partly machine only. One arm, spine, bits and pieces. rebuilt jaw, soft tissue attachments and heart valve and lung replacements etc. bits of repiratory equipment permanently hooked up, probably some sort of dialysis machinery built in. The sort of thing you'd need after being badly crushed or having fallen from a great height and smashed into a hard surface. or after having been severely sliced up.

When did they finish filming AOTC? When do they start filming EPIII? By the time they get around to filming hatden he should have had plenty of time to put on tons of mass. He's probably been working with a trainer every day since he was told to bulk up. According to the reports from AOTC Hayden is a motivated individual who throws himself full tilt into his work. This is likely the biggest role he'll gewt to play so why not go hell for leather and do it right? Sure his acting stinks but then so did Dave prowses and James Earl Jones' recital of the lines was pretty rum too. I'd say it's been perfect casting in that respect to get duff line recital and wooden body movements in the one person was inspired casting by Robin Gurland. :p

HARDY
04-09-2003, 02:23 PM
i agree with mini rock im actually a acsm qualified personal trainer and i think he has plenty of time to put on muscle you have to think he's gonna have a personal trainer, the top nutrionist and all the time he needs trust me if he needs and wants to do it with the right training and supplements he will do it just look at what sly achieved fr rocky three and yes i understand sly wasnt skinny but dolph was before they started and it took them ten weeks to get into the shapes of their lives

HARDY
04-09-2003, 02:24 PM
and another example is charlie sheen and again i know he wasnt skinny but haydens at he right age where he could go two ways either get muscular or stay skinny!!

El Chuxter
02-01-2010, 02:03 PM
I bet Hayden has been sitting around, eating Cheetos and feeling sorry for himself after the dismal failure of Jumper ruined his career, and has really beefed up. He's going to be playing the young William Howard Taft in an upcoming biopic/fantasy epic crossover.

Maerj2000
02-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Perhaps... he looks the same to me in this trailer:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3658088985/

2-1B
02-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I bet Hayden has been sitting around, eating Cheetos and feeling sorry for himself after the dismal failure of Jumper ruined his career, and has really beefed up. He's going to be playing the young William Howard Taft in an upcoming biopic/fantasy epic crossover.

I think he's too busy planning his wedding since he got engaged last year.

JEDIpartner
02-03-2010, 02:31 PM
LOL

Has anyone noticed how many banned people have responded to this thread? :D