PDA

View Full Version : 'Harry and the Hendersons' means nothing to me now . . .

2-1B
12-06-2002, 11:30 PM
:cry: RIP Sasquatch. :cry:

Man Who Claimed 'Bigfoot' Legend Dies

SEATTLE (AP) - The man who used 16-inch feet-shaped carvings to create tracks that ignited the "Bigfoot" legend has died. He was 84.
Ray L. Wallace's family admitted his role in the creature myth after his death Nov. 26 from heart failure.
"The reality is, Bigfoot just died," his son, Michael, said.
In August 1958, a bulldozer operator who worked for Wallace's construction company in Humboldt County, Calif., found huge footprints circling and then leading away from his rig.
The Humboldt Times in Eureka, Calif., coined the term "Bigfoot" in a front-page story about the phenomenon.
Family members said Wallace asked a friend to carve the wooden 16-inch-long feet that he and his brother Wilbur wore to create the tracks.
The nation fascinated by tales of the Himalayan Abominable Snowman quickly bought into the notion of a homegrown version.
"The fact is there was no Bigfoot in popular consciousness before 1958. America got its own monster, its own Abominable Snowman, thanks to Ray Wallace," Mark Chorvinsky, editor of Strange magazine, told The Seattle Times.
Wallace cut a record of supposed Bigfoot sounds, printed posters of a Bigfoot sitting with other animals and provided films and photos that purported to show the creature eating elk and frogs, Chorvinsky said.
Chorvinsky believes the family's admission raises serious doubts about key "proof" of Bigfoot's existence: the so-called Patterson film, with its grainy images of an erect apelike creature striding away from the camera operated by rodeo rider Roger Patterson in 1967.
Wallace said he told Patterson where to spot a Bigfoot near Bluff Creek, Calif., Chorvinsky recalled. "Ray told me that the Patterson film was a hoax, and he knew who was in the suit."
Michael Wallace said his father called the Patterson film "a fake" but claimed he'd had nothing to do with it. But he said his mother admitted she had been photographed in a Bigfoot suit, and that his father "had several people he used in his movies."
The disclosure is not fazing others who study such creatures.
Jeff Meldrum, an associate professor of anatomy and anthropology at Idaho State University, says he has casts of 40 to 50 footprints he believes were made by authentic unknown primates.
"To suggest all these are explained by simple carved feet strapped to boots just doesn't wash," Meldrum said, noting 19th century accounts of such a creature.
Chorvinsky says those early reports were mistakes, myths or hoaxes.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20021206/ap_on_re_us/obit_wallace_2

QLD
12-06-2002, 11:34 PM
DAMN YOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMN YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beast
12-06-2002, 11:39 PM
I don't buy that he was the one responsible for every sighting and track that has ever been found. There is always a bit of truth, even in the most elaborate hoaxes. Just like Jeff Meldrum said, he has some footprints that he believes authentic. And that their have been reports as far back as the 19th Century about Sasquatch. Same as with the crop circles, not all of those vast numbers of reports are hoaxes. :p :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
12-06-2002, 11:47 PM
"Your Sasquatch is dead, son. Accept it."
--Cliegg Lars--

derek
12-06-2002, 11:48 PM
i can almost bet art bell will be discussing this tonight.:)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-07-2002, 12:00 AM
What about that kooky grainy home video from the 1970's showing a Sasquatch like figure walking through the woods? I guess that was a hoax too although I remember watching a show and a so called video expert sweared that the sighting was authentic, basing his conclusions on the body movements of the creature, such as his head perfectly alining with his torso as he turned his body.

Oh well, I guess that leaves the Loch Ness Monster and the Yeti.

Darth Cruel
12-07-2002, 01:08 AM
Are there still people who believe in this stuff? Man! We are in the 20th century!

Chewbacca is the closest think to a real Sasquatch or Yeti that we will ever see.

And the dianoga is the closest thing to a Loch Ness Monster we will ever see.

stillakid
12-07-2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
Are there still people who believe in this stuff? Man! We are in the 20th century!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/binladen/who/interview.html

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=68230#post68230

Beast
12-07-2002, 01:43 AM
Darth Cruel, tell that to the Giant Panda Bear. That were considered a myth until proof was discovered in 1869, a live specimen was not collected until 1936. It's existance was also hard to prove, though there were footprint evidence and blurry photographs. Infact new species are still discovered that were unknown before this point, even today. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
12-07-2002, 04:28 AM
Tonight Bigfoot sleeps with the Elvis fishes, those handsome aquatic devils with their flashy sunglasses, big sideburns, and snearing gills. :D

I'm sorry but it's about time, the bigfoot phenomenon has always felt so contrived to me, weakest of the Weekly World News bunch. While I do have an open mind to the possible non-hoax explanations of some of these mythological creatures and events - for example, my late grandfather was an engineer who worked on a sonar system that discovered a large "something" in Loch Ness, it turned out to be a large grouping of very old, very rare slugs - the bigfoot legend just never felt true on any level other than "hoax" to me; chalk it up with crop circles and that footage of the UFO with the string coming out the top.

Jargo
12-07-2002, 07:57 AM
This is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo funny.
I agree with JT. About time people started to own up to their fakes. This is like the fairies at the bottom of the garden myth that so convinced the Victorians. Just an elabotrately simple hoax debunked. Nice one. :)

Eternal Padawan
12-07-2002, 08:30 AM
But..but...I SAW him fight the six million dollar man! Are you gonna tell me THAT was fake, too? huh? Are ya?

Jargo
12-07-2002, 01:30 PM
No, that was real. How could you possibly doubt the six million dolar man's existence? Cha! Dude get real already! :rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-07-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
Erm, last time I checked, it was the 21st century. :D
It's good to put some closure on the whole Bigfoot thing finally, though.

El Chuxter
12-07-2002, 04:05 PM
The only mythical creatures that could possibly exist are the Yeti and sea serpents, just because of the size and inaccessibility of the areas they're supposed to live in. Some concrete evidence of Sasquatch or Nessie would've surfaced by now if they existed.

stillakid
12-07-2002, 04:28 PM
I once heard that Walmart stocks Star Wars exclusives, but it's just a rumor.

2-1B
12-07-2002, 10:15 PM
I thought the same, until this evening when I spied a silly looking clamshell shaped creature surrounding the contents of 2 droids dressed in holiday regalia. :crazed:

plasticfetish
12-08-2002, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
tell that to the Giant Panda Bear.

OK ... bring him on!

But "seriously" ... I've been up to Humbolt County where this man was from and I've seen Bigfoot dozens of times ...

... what ... errrr ... those are just hippies? Oh, my mistake. Well, hopefully my collection of chainsaw carved redwood statues of Sascrotch (heee) will be worth something now.

Exhaust Port
12-09-2002, 12:02 AM
If Big Foot had big feet what does Sascrotch (sic) have? :eek:

mabudonicus
12-09-2002, 09:21 AM
I'm not surprised either I agree with JT that bigfoot always seemed like the least interesting one of the super natural bunch...
Up here there's so many Lannies that could be mistaken for bigfoot, I stopped thinking about it years ago...
And just to stir the pot a bit, we know there're giant squids out there, but there's still never been a confirmed sighting or picture or anything of a living one, just lots o' bodies washed up...
Bigfoot isn't impossible, just kinda plain, like even if it did exist, so what, it's basically just a shaggy dude, after all...

QLD
12-09-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
If Big Foot had big feet what does Sascrotch (sic) have? :eek:

I was really going to post something here......but in retrospect...I'd better not.

stillakid
12-09-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by mabudon
And just to stir the pot a bit, we know there're giant squids out there, but there's still never been a confirmed sighting or picture or anything of a living one, just lots o' bodies washed up...

I tuned in to a Discovery Channel (I think it was) documentary once that claimed that these guys were heading out to sea to find the elusive giant squid.

After an hour of this, they got all excited when they found teeny tiny little baby squid that they claimed were proof of the giant's existence. I'm not sayin' their wrong, but I tuned in to SEE a GIANT squid, not bait. I mean these things were only an inch long, if that. sigh. Maybe they could go out to find little baby Sasquatch's or baby Loch Ness. Heck, George Lucas found lil' Boba Fett, why not enlist him to help? :rolleyes:

mrmiller
12-10-2002, 02:54 PM
:rolleyes:

=MATT=

mabudonicus
12-17-2002, 11:50 AM
Yeah, stillakid, I believe that it was actually Cousteau's son or something that had set off to find and photograph the things..
I love those "in search of" type programs where they play up the excitement for most of the run-time, and as it gets near the end, and you're thinking "man, it's almost over, where's the THING", the searchers find some stupid marks on the ground or pile of sticks or whatever and talk about how close they are to seeing what they came looking for, and then the credits roll and you're left wondering why such a program was even made, given that the titular object/phenomenon was only present in the form of vague hints, hysterical ramblings and obviously exaggerated/ completely fantastic woodcuts or whatever...
How many hour long shows are there in existence about folks who failed to find legend X???
WAY too many, IMO. I'll never watch another loch ness show again till they get the beast out where we can all see it....
Hope those squids are photographed eventually, as at least we know they exist, they're just hard to find..

smurfvader
12-25-2002, 02:58 PM
i can almost bet art bell will be discussing this tonight

That reminds me of the guy who was a guest on Art Bell claiming he killed a Bigfoot and burried it, but wasn't allowed to tell the news because apparently they are protected by the law and he would get in trouble. Since the guy was from the south I kept thinking it was probably his brother in law in a gorilla suit drunk and trying to scare this guy. This guy also claims that the Bigfoots occasionaly attack his home in retaliation for killing one. Yet for some reason he has no photographs or video tapes.

JIm

2-1B
11-18-2007, 11:17 PM
What about that kooky grainy home video from the 1970's showing a Sasquatch like figure walking through the woods? I guess that was a hoax too although I remember watching a show and a so called video expert sweared that the sighting was authentic, basing his conclusions on the body movements of the creature, such as his head perfectly alining with his torso as he turned his body.

That's exactly what I was reminded of when I saw the movie Signs, the video footage of that alien walkin around looked very Bigfoot-ish...except in the movie, the alien was real. lol lol lol

I'm not surprised either I agree with JT that bigfoot always seemed like the least interesting one of the super natural bunch...
Up here there's so many Lannies that could be mistaken for bigfoot, I stopped thinking about it years ago...
Bigfoot isn't impossible, just kinda plain, like even if it did exist, so what, it's basically just a shaggy dude, after all...

Man, Lanny is probably the only creature on Earth who exists as both a Legend AND Reality. :grin:

TeeEye7
11-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Man, Lanny is probably the only creature on Earth who exists as both a Legend AND Reality. :grin:

Big Foot has a mullet? :confused: :ko: