PDA

View Full Version : Cast a brand new Star Trek crew! Who should be on the next ship?

Tycho
12-08-2002, 03:29 AM
This is a creative process thread. The objective is to come up with a brand new 7 member ensemble cast, one character at a time. Star Trek has always been a great expose on multi-ethnic, multi-gender, even multi-species casting. We want to use casting characteristics never seen on Star Trek before, so I made a list of all the never-seen-before variations on gender, ethnicity, and extra-terrestrial origin for each role.
Let's start with the Captain. And we're ONLY discussing the Captain, though I hope this thread will go on to choose the rest of the crew as it evolves with the characters we pick for the other stations.

So for Captain of the new Star Trek series, we have had 4 men and 1 woman in the past. We've never had an alien. That leaves us with these choices:

FOR CAPTAIN:

Alien Female
Alien Male

Hispanic Female
Hispanic Male
black Female
Asian Female
Asian Male

Keep in mind that this is the show's lead character.

I kept it in mind that we'd have had an all-Klingon show by now, if they appealed to just the OLD fans. But to real in new viewers, they've always starred attractive humans in the leading roles.

That being said, I am supporting a woman captain again, and in "test crews" I've listed, those with

a black female captain (mid-thirties to lowest 40's)

or

an Asian female captain (mid-thirties to lowest 40's)

would seem to be the most different, viable, and never-seen-before.

For some reason I pictured someone like news reporter Connie Chung as an appropriate image for an Asian female captain.

Someone like Alfre Woodard (from First Contact) might be a great black female Captain.

What do you think?

I forgot: let's only discuss the Captain for right now, and let's not use old Star Trek characters (like giving Sulu his ship, etc.)

We don't know what time frame our new Star Trek will take place in, so Sulu might not've been born, and Riker could have died of old age.

So what kind of character do you want for Captain?

Beast
12-08-2002, 03:41 AM
I always thought that they should have made a series patterened after that one episode where they found teenage trainees running a starship after the adult crew had been killed in a fire fight. I don't recall what series or season.

It would be a totally new sort of show, with unexperienced crewmembers forced to take over the starship. They of course would have to do somthing that would make them not be able to surrender the ship to Federation Forces.

Maybe implicate the teenage crew in the deaths of the adult members of the crew. Make them actually be on the run from the Federation as they encountrer obsticles in an attempt to clear their names. That could be the premise of the first season, and then the finale could be them finding a lead to the proof.

That way the second season could start off with them seeking out that info, and actually overcoming great odds for to prove their innocence. That way once they do, the Federation could actually be so impressed with the crew that evaded their best ships and crews, that instead of splitting them up, they actually give them the ship.

That way you can introduce the adult member of the crew. Someone like a Deanna Troi charecter that overseas the teenage/ young adult crew and helps them thru their problems. But she's constantly butting heads with the crew members, over what she sees as them bending Starfleet Orders and such.

Maybe Seth Green (Scott Evil : Austin Powers Trilogy) as the captain/ leader of the group of kids. He's more of a young adult, but I still think he's got the name recognition without being super famous to take the starring role in a series. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
12-08-2002, 03:49 AM
I think the episode JJB speaks of is the Deep Space Nine episode "Valiant" from either season 5 or 6. Sounds like a good idea, but theres alot of aspecs that would make it seem unlikely that a group of children could outrun the entire Federation. Especially if they didn't know the ship all that well, they'd basically have to be clones of Wesley Crusher. :D

As for Tycho's Captain topic:

I know this may not be the most original idea, but on Enterprise, Hoshi Sato seems to be the better more "Earthly" character on there, plus all the bad-writing to make the other "action-esque" characters seem interesting usually comes off making Hoshi the most interesting. Also Linda Park is a very good actress...

I'd like to see Linda Park play a very long descendant (maybe with alien alterations from cross-breeding in one or two of the generations) from Hoshi Sato but as a Captain of maybe the Enterprise-F, or possibly just some high class explorer ship. I think it would be most interesting because it wouldn't be a blood-line of Captains or anything, it'd be quite an interesting jump from Hoshi being a trying-to-stay-out-of-the-way comm officer to one of her ascendants being a Captain. It would definitely add a new variety to the mix of Trek characters; Asian cross-breeded with some alien species.

mrmiller
12-08-2002, 01:00 PM
I'd like to se an alien as a captian too. I think a good one would be a Trill with a symboant that was older than the federation. That would open up some interesting story lines. Maybe an ongoing storyline where the symboant is guiding the captian twords an act of revenge everytime they are around Romulans or something.

=MATT=

scruffziller
12-08-2002, 04:04 PM
I think they should make a series that will follow Nemesis if indeed this is the NG's last movie.

Beast
12-08-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
I think the episode JJB speaks of is the Deep Space Nine episode "Valiant" from either season 5 or 6. Sounds like a good idea, but theres alot of aspecs that would make it seem unlikely that a group of children could outrun the entire Federation. Especially if they didn't know the ship all that well, they'd basically have to be clones of Wesley Crusher. :D
Thanks, didn't recall which series and episode it was. I have to see that one again. It was one of the best episodes of Trek that I had seen in ages. :)

I think it would work, without having to make all the kids Wesley Crusher clones. Just look at the Maquee, they evaded the Federation and the Cardassian Forces pretty well.

And we are talking teenage/young adult graduates of Starfleet Academy. So they would be knowledgeable, just not used to real life situations. They would be use to simulations, like Saavik in Star Trek II. Infact they could even mention the Kobayashi Maru as a wink to the old series and movies. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
03-05-2010, 10:17 PM
These are all crazy ideas, I know, but I'd like to see:

Spock - the guy from Heroes
Scotty - the guy from Shaun of the Dead
Sulu - the guy from Harold and Kumar
Chekov - the guy from Terminator 4
Bones - the guy from Lord of the Rings
Uhura - the girl from Avatar
Kirk - the guy from Smokin' Aces
Spock's Mom - Winona Ryder

Come on, how cool would that be? A fanboy's dream come true!!!

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 06:02 PM
You forgot Sarek, Spock's dad. He should be super generic and from nothing anybody's ever seen, like the 3rd Species sequel.

LTBasker
03-08-2010, 05:00 AM
He should also appear to have the chin of Orn Free Taa in certain angles.