PDA

View Full Version : Vintage 12" figures

Tiggertheterrible
12-08-2002, 11:56 AM
I just came across my old 12" Han, Leia, and Luke and am trying to get them cleaned up for display. They have a little bit of a dark discoloration on the arms and/or legs. Does anyone know how to fix this? Also I'm looking for suggestions on touching up worn paint (Luke and Han's hair). Any help will be greatly appreciated!:) :) :)

LusiferSam
12-15-2002, 11:45 PM
What kind of "dark discoloration?" If its dirt or the like you might try a little plane water and a q-tip. I don't know much about 12" but if its not dirt it could be sun damage which is permanent.
As for touching up the paint, I won't. You'll never find or mix the color to match perfectly. And I think you'll loss some of your figures character. That my two cents.

TIE Pilot
12-21-2002, 04:13 PM
If the figure has discolored or yellowed with age, there's not a thing you can do about it.

However.. if the figure has a few areas where the paint has worn off, you could always use acrylic paint to patch the areas. I have a few vintage figures I re-painted that now look brand new.

Tiggertheterrible
12-22-2002, 08:45 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not dirt. It doesn't just wash off. I don't think it's sun damage. They've been in boxes for years, and as a kid I didn't just leave them lying around. I loved them too much. I've seen this stuff on the arms and legs of other barbie-type dolls. It's always on the rubbery parts, not the hard plastic. Maybe I'll have to talk to a Barbie freak or something. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

Tie pilot, how'd you find the right colors? Trial & error? I'm not sure if I'll touch them up, but in case I do.

What I really need is someone like the little old guy in Toy Story 2 who fixes Woody up.

Anyone else have any ideas?